Plasma burn in?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys, I have a new Panasonic 50" PV60 series and am about to buy an XBOX 360 I just found out that plasmas tend to get burn in when playing video games and just wanted to know if it's safe to play xbox 360 on it also I will be using the HD cable for the 360.

Hi guys, I have a new Panasonic 50" PV60 series and am about to buy an XBOX 360 I just found out that plasmas tend to get burn in when playing video games and just wanted to know if it's safe to play xbox 360 on it also I will be using the HD cable for the 360.

Yes, unless you speak to someone who ONLY sells LCD TVs or has no idea and heard it from his barber/dentist.

• 2 weeks later...

guys I work in the industry and this is a good example of the "burn-in" subject. I have seen over 200 plasma panels on display in the various places that ive worked in over the years, running all day every day and only seen two cases of image retention in plasma panels. In both cases, the "burn-in" has only occured after the panel had been subject to days of continually being left on DVD menu screens by lazy staff members. And that said, image retention can occur on ANY tv whether it be plasma, lcd, rear pro, etc, if you are lazy enough to leave the same image running for extended periods of time. One peice of advice. If your not watching it, turn it off.

• 2 weeks later...

I've now had my Pana PV500A for over a year now, and even with my relatively high contrast settings (see link in sig), I've not yet had a single problem with burn-in. Occasionally I see some momentary image retention from bright white text on a black background for example, but only when I'm sitting in a pitch black room and even then it goes away after a couple of seconds.

The bigger concern for plasma owners should be uneven ageing of phosphors, which can result in slightly brighter areas at the top and bottom or left and right side of the screen (where black bars for 16:9 and 4:3 material appears).

If I'm not actually watching the TV but I don't want to turn it off, I usually switch it to one of the HD Loops (e.g. the Channel 10 or Channel 9 loops which have no logos) and let that run for a while. This gives the entire screen area a good workout by lighting up all the phosphors all over the screen with various colours.

The end result is that after a year of many, many hours of viewing a variety of material my set is as good as the day I bought it, no trace of image retention, uneven brightness/phosphor ageing or burnin.

I've had my Pana HD panel for about 4 months, was playing a little xbox 360 last night - this morning I can still see the speedo lightly on the bottom right hand corner of the screen. I was only playing for about 30-40 minutes intermittently, so hopefully the speedo dissapears after a day or so.

I've definitely noticed slight retention some days. Another time I was watching a movie, pressed stop to go do something which takes the tv to a black screen, I could still see the last image slightly on the screen - in a white ghosting type look. It doesnt stay so I havent been concerned about that sort of thing.

I'll be more mindful when using an xbox thats for sure (i've only borrowed it from my bro to see what it was like so it will be going back)

Cheers

I'm looking to buy a Plasma screen so i can play all the next generation gaming systems on them at 1080p for the ones that support it. How long does it take for 'plasma burn' to occur and is it more likely to happen with game systems?

Well I wouldnt say its burnt in - about 90% of the retained image has gone and you have to look really hard to find it. Its been 1.5 days since it happened. Needless to say I'm going to be extremely careful with game play on the plasma. I might even relegate the xbox 360 to a 68cm crt, which sucks.

Go Swans.

Tony. I have the same 50 inch Viera and I too have image retention after playing PS2, mine has about 30 hours of TV/DVD on it and my brother unknowingly played for 4 hours while I was out!

Hopefully its not a permanent thing..... very annoying seeing the life/weapon counter top right in everything.....

A salesman has told me that you can do a 'White Wash' and the burn in will be completely gone as if it never happened... is this true? he also said there are some other things like "invert" "Orbitor" and more but i forget.

Is this all true?

A salesman has told me that you can do a 'White Wash' and the burn in will be completely gone as if it never happened... is this true? he also said there are some other things like "invert" "Orbitor" and more but i forget.

Is this all true?

Plasmas (and LCD's) suffer from temporary image retention - but this can last for days-weeks (the pioneers being a bit of a culprit here). This will fade with time/use, and probably will be removed with the white wash. I have heard that this (the white wash) ages the screen faster than normal (ie the 60,000 hour to 1/2 brightness deterioration - how true that is I dont' know). Anecdotally it is more of a problem in the early life of the screen, and users on the forums here suggest running on reduced brightness / contrast for the 1st 100-200 hours of use.

Theoretically they can also have permanent image retention. This is pretty rare these days. By definition it is permanent, so nothing will remove it. LCD's theoretically shouldn't get this.

The screens have inbuilt technology to help minimise the risk - eg moving the image around the screen (by 1 or 2 pixels) (the 'orbiter').

J.

I've definitely noticed slight retention some days. Another time I was watching a movie, pressed stop to go do something which takes the tv to a black screen, I could still see the last image slightly on the screen - in a white ghosting type look. It doesnt stay so I havent been concerned about that sort of thing.

It would be interesting to know:

The total hours of use

Your settings (contrast / colour etc)

J.

any1 know about the invert???

i was told that if i left a DVD menu on overnight that i could put the same dvd back on in the morning and switch this invert thing on and it would reverse it all so that it would be gone...

correct?

any1 know about the invert???

i was told that if i left a DVD menu on overnight that i could put the same dvd back on in the morning and switch this invert thing on and it would reverse it all so that it would be gone...

correct?

You should not have a DVD player that stays in a menu screen overnight.

For example, the Pioneer 676 (now up to 696) will revert to a screen saver after being paused for a while, then turn itself off.

j.

The bars are not a problem if you don't have your contrast at ridiculously high levels for the first 200-300 hrs.

What would be considered ridiculously high contrast levels?

I just biut my plasma, probably have about 20 hours of use up and am still researching the best settings for it and have noticed a lot of programmes on foxtel (i.e. the simpsons) are displayed with the black bars on the left and right side.

I have the 50" Panasonic and have been using the 'Just' aspect ratio.

Advice?

Guest bboundy

Syko: Why would you buy a ps3? I know that its more powerful and stuff (yes, i am informed) but it seems a bit expensive for what it does. For the $1000 you fork out, ive already got a 360 and 3 games + extra controller. I would like to hear your opinion.

Edited by bboundy

if is a cost problem heres the maths:

PS3 = $999

Xbox 360 =

Console ...........................$649

Wi-Fi Adapter....................$100

HD-DVD ..........................$200 (USD Price, so knowing MS they'll charge aussies $350)

1yr Online .......................$99

Multimedia card reader......$40

60GB HDD.........................?????

Total = $1088+60GB HDD

thers alot more but i cant remeber atm

Things money cant buy:

motion sensing controller

1080p

and then thers the games... personal fav is Metal Gear Solid 4

Edited by Syko

Guest bboundy

jpcam160581: There is whats called the live-vision camera recently introduced for the 360. Its primary purpose (now at least) is to communicate over xbox live. Im sure with a little time games could be made for it like an eye-toy. However if you play primarily things like Singstar, Buzz and Guitar Hero, you would be better off sticking with the PS2, as the 360 and PS3 are targeted primarily at so-called 'serious' (older people) gamers, who would rather play standard controller games. I have played Eye-toy, buzz and singstar, but would would not buy a console purely to play them. (note: I did own a PS1, and have nothing but praise for it. That said, I liked the original xBox more than the PS2)

Syko: There are a couple of things in that list i dont want or need. I dont need the wifi adapter (got a router close by), the card reader (what for?), the HD-DVD (Halo 3 doensn't need it, therefore I dont need it) or the 60GB HDD. As far as the HDD goes, I have no idea what anyone needs that much space for. Currently with a heap of demos, save games, movies and arcade games I still have 11GB free. To use that you would pretty much have to buy every game there is. As far as fav games, I would have to say I prefer the Halo series. Looking at Metal Gear Solid 4, it seems like a cross between Splinter Cell, Call of Duty and G.R.A.W. (one of my all-time fav games). With the motion controller, the only need for that i can see is flight sim games (Sony did produce one for the PS1 which never took off, as did MS for the xBox) See article. I can emphasize with the fact that the PS3 is more powerful, but without any really original games, the 360 seems a more attractive option. But, it is your choice, so if you get the PS3, let me know what its like.

(p.s. maybe we should move this to another thread)

PS3 is also bumped out to March 07 here now :blink:

the X360 will be having 1080p games / hd-dvd with the upcoming update.

But essentially you're right - once you add on all the bits and pieces with the X360 to bring it into line with the PS3, they are similarly priced. I do think Sony should have kept the rumble over the motion sensor though - then again maybe its just me who doesnt wanna wave my arms around whilst playing :D

yea, seems a bit off topic...

anyway, i think all the extra that the 360 dosent hav r great...

like the wi-fi: i need...

card reader: sharing files... correct me if im rong but i dont think the 360 has any card reader at all....

HD-DVD: if u add that plus the 360 u almost get the PS3 so y not get the ps3 anyway???

DVD: how can u expect the 360 to use normal DVD's for years to come, game developers will be split between DVD and HD-DVD... thats not a smart decision by MS in my mind... they should hav included a HD-DVD sandard (they wer in such a rush to release it they cut corners)...

i liked the rumble but it wasnt a main feature of any console, im gonna enjoy the wireless controlors though...

so if you get the PS3, let me know what its like.

lol, i will in march, although u may be better off getting a review off the net.

is ther a thread about HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray?

Guest bboundy
bboundy,

Is the XBOX 360 likely to offer games and applications similar to Singstar, Eyetoy, Buzz & Guitar Hero?

If not that might be a reason why and the main reason why I rated the PS2 mightily higher than the original XBOX.

New game just out: Totemball. This game uses the live vision camera exactly the way Eyetoy does.

Just awaiting a PAna 50" PV60 to be delivered. Was getting a bit worried about the burn in but went in favour of the plasma because my brother in law just bought a Sony bravia 40" V series and isn't very happy with the slow pixel change.

Edited by belgofac