Plasma burn in?

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a new Panasonic PV500A HD 42" Panel, I have just finished writing this and used the contact form on Channel 7's website to send it:

To Broadcasting Management,

We are very very annoyed at Seven using a bright white static logo on the top right hand corner of the screen throughout the tennis! We have been watching for several hours in the last few days and now we have a permanent Channel 7 logo burnt into our very expensive and very new plasma TV! Whilst I respect you wanting to brand your product, Why you don’t show some consideration for people with plasma TV's and have the decency to at least shade the logo (and the score in the bottom left hand corner as well)!!! We know about Plasma burn and understand why it happens but what can you do when the broadcasting station shows static bright logos for excessive amount of time? Needless to say we are no longer willing to watch the tennis (or any advertising shown during it) and have warned several people we know at our workplaces about the burn in. They are all shocked and will also be tuning into something else. We will be making a point of posting a similar complaint to the Digital broadcasting Australia website ( www.dba.org.au ) voicing our complaint and warning others also. I have to say in writing this I'm very angry and am at a loss at what to write, I would love to demand a replacement Television from a broadcaster that obviously doesn't care whilst at the same time encouraging people to get into digital/widescreen and the like!

Sincerely,

Two very BURNT OFF people!!!

We have a new Panasonic PV500A HD 42" Panel, I have just finished writing this and used the contact form on Channel 7's website to send it:

To Broadcasting Management,

We are very very annoyed at Seven using a bright white static logo on the top right hand corner of the screen throughout the tennis! We have been watching for several hours in the last few days and now we have a permanent Channel 7 logo burnt into our very expensive and very new plasma TV! Whilst I respect you wanting to brand your product, Why you don’t show some consideration for people with plasma TV's and have the decency to at least shade the logo (and the score in the bottom left hand corner as well)!!! We know about Plasma burn and understand why it happens but what can you do when the broadcasting station shows static bright logos for excessive amount of time? Needless to say we are no longer willing to watch the tennis (or any advertising shown during it) and have warned several people we know at our workplaces about the burn in. They are all shocked and will also be tuning into something else. We will be making a point of posting a similar complaint to the Digital broadcasting Australia website ( www.dba.org.au ) voicing our complaint and warning others also. I have to say in writing this I'm very angry and am at a loss at what to write, I would love to demand a replacement Television from a broadcaster that obviously doesn't care whilst at the same time encouraging people to get into digital/widescreen and the like!

Sincerely,

Two very BURNT OFF people!!!

nice work, good to see more and more people formally complaining to the stations directly.

I sincerely hope channel 9/7 decide to do something about this, but unfortunately to date, their responses have been arrogant & dismissive.

I think we would all be happy if the logo's went from solid white, to translucent/watermarked - not too much to ask I dont think

cheers :blink:

will a watermark also "burn in" just more faintly?

we have a new pioneer 50, I turned the power setting to it's lowest (dims the screen slightly), put the contrast and brightness to just below half their maximum (Any lower, and the picture gets too dark), and stretched 4:3 pictures to full screen.

I've seen uneven wear from black lines, score and logo ghost images against a white background. It seems to go away after watching full screen for more than 15 hrs.

While not permanent it seems to be a constant problem whenever you watch normal tv. If i want to watch a clean screen it takes half a day to wash the crap off. Is this something we have to put up with from now on, even after 100 hrs?

Just rang 9, got quickly handed down by one receptionist, then another, to a tech, who was a nice bloke and was very helpful. He said that he wasn't a huge fan of logos, but "that's what the head honchos want". He mentioned that 9 are very aware of the problem of their logo burning into viewers' plasma screens, and are looking into it. He said a decision hasn't been made as of yet, although he personally thinks they're going to go for a watermark approach (around 50% transparency). I also asked about logo placement in HD broadcasts, and he stated that 9 are going to make their HD logo 4:3 safe! Argghhhh!!! :blink:

I also asked about logo placement in HD broadcasts, and he stated that 9 are going to make their HD logo 4:3 safe! Argghhhh!!! :blink:

Is there any 4:3 TV that can even do HD? If not why the hell put it so it can be seen on 4:3 tv's!

Is there any 4:3 TV that can even do HD? If not why the hell put it so it can be seen on 4:3 tv's!

Don't forget the people that go out and get sold a HD set top box then proceed to plug it into their 24" 10 year old CRT TV (with an RF connection on Ch0), the stations wouldnt want them to forget who they are watching!

Edit... I've just noticed watching the Tennis via a HDTV card in my PC that i can actually see through the logo! I've not turned on the Plasma since writing my post above (mainly because it pisses me off!) but I wonder if its more see through.. I'd love to think my 1 email was the one that just tipped the decision over the edge if so... LOL :blink:

Edited by w00dy

will a watermark also "burn in" just more faintly?

we have a new pioneer 50, I turned the power setting to it's lowest (dims the screen slightly), put the contrast and brightness to just below half their maximum (Any lower, and the picture gets too dark), and stretched 4:3 pictures to full screen.

I've seen uneven wear from black lines, score and logo ghost images against a white background. It seems to go away after watching full screen for more than 15 hrs.

While not permanent it seems to be a constant problem whenever you watch normal tv. If i want to watch a clean screen it takes half a day to wash the crap off. Is this something we have to put up with from now on, even after 100 hrs?

Hmmm...Do you mean you have seen all these issues on your panel (from black lines etc), or in general?

Some of that does not sound good... but it appears there have many such similar issues with the Pio panels

Thankfully I have never seen any of these issues with my Fuji, not in the first 200 hours, and not in the further 800 after that...

Sounds like you are taking the right approach by being "extra careful" for the first 100~200 hours. Perhaps persevere for that time, and see if you still have issues

Pio seem to have great customer service, so you have the option of going back to Pio if the issues persist...

cheers :blink:

Hmmm...Do you mean you have seen all these issues on your panel (from black lines etc), or in general?

I didn't worry about burn in (image retention) at first so I had black bars on all 4:3 shows. After a day of black bars i noticed where the black bars were on a full screen light background. We had the tennis on for 3 hrs and the 7 sport fade was slightly visible.

If i watch dark images and pay attention to the exact centre of the screen while watching, i probably wouldn't notice any image retention, but the best way to enjoy the plasma is bright images on a dvd. It looks great running at its optimum. If I want to focus on a small part of a screen i might as well watch a 68cm tv.

I've read the burn in prevention advice from different sources and it all seems to be aimed at wearing down the plasma so it's not running 100%.

I've rang pioneer and read the manual and they say not to display solid images for more than 30 mins. We didn't know how sensitive it was until after we got it.

For people buying the pioneer 50, buy 3, one for watching 2:35 dvd's, one for 1:85 dvd's, and one you can trash for normal tv watching. The picture is awesome and you'll have a nice clean screen 100% of the time!!

just finished watching the abc news on my lcd rear projection

& the abc logo in bottom right corner has burnt in or retained.

yes its not a plasma rather a rear projection but it has been mentioned before.

i have a poor pic(sorry only a shitty digital camera) & dont know how to post pics here.

my old mw60 seems to be getting worse now, first the blues, almost half the screen, also has a pulsing line running top to bottom, now the pic has gone all grainy, occasionally has blue vertical lines like a graph around 1 inch apart & now today i have gotten BURN IN

hope my new plasma gets deleivered tomorrow as it was due yesterday.

just hope i dont get the burn in on the plasma as its already annoying on my annoying bluey RP.

I have a panasonic 50" viera plasma, the contrast was set to 100 since we first got it. I never worried about burn in as it seems to not be a problem on newer models. I didn't bother stretching the images, I played games for hours and have absolutely NO signs of burn in or anything related to that at all. Have had it for months now.

Each to their own though, i didn't bother but it doesn't mean you shouldn't.

• 2 weeks later...

I work with plasmas everyday, theres alot of talk about the first 200 hours etc being critical??? Why is it that I can unbox a brand new screen, leave a dvd menu on it for 8 hours with the contrast turned up to 100 and the screen will have NO PERMANENT DAMAGE! Its a fact of life that some plasmas retain images for short periods of time, but dont worry about changing stations every 30 minutes. Some models do retain images far quicker than others but thats the way it is, it goes away, usually very quickly. If you want to know more about what each brand let me know.

• 1 month later...

plasmas are in their 8th generation. burn in was a problem years ago.....but not particularly now. it's a bit of an urban myth....this burn in stuff. you can get plasmas now with image cleaners, so if you have burn in problems the image cleaner will fix it up in a jiffy. honestly, the amount of friends that warn me against burn in, love the fact that they can say the words "burn in". i don't even know whether they know what it means, they just love the words....."burn in....oooooo...watch out for burn in...". my friend has a plasma with this image cleaner ....and it works brilliantly. he's had his screen for about a year and guess what? NO BURN IN!

plasmas are in their 8th generation. burn in was a problem years ago.....but not particularly now. it's a bit of an urban myth....this burn in stuff. you can get plasmas now with image cleaners, so if you have burn in problems the image cleaner will fix it up in a jiffy. honestly, the amount of friends that warn me against burn in, love the fact that they can say the words "burn in". i don't even know whether they know what it means, they just love the words....."burn in....oooooo...watch out for burn in...". my friend has a plasma with this image cleaner ....and it works brilliantly. he's had his screen for about a year and guess what? NO BURN IN!

Don't think just because it hasn't happened to you that it doesn't exsist. Even LCD's can get burn in.

Has anybody had any burn in issues whilst watching the recent Commonwealth Games coverage on Foxtel?

My daughter watched the netball game on Sunday (approx. 2 hrs) and we now have that particular channel's Foxtel watermark burned in to my Pioneer 43" HD plasma (approx 4 mths old).

Spoke to Pioneer yesterday who says that it should fade with time (cross fingers) but Foxtel have not acknowledged receiving any complaints from other users.

Nevertheless, I intend write a stern letter to Foxtel as I believe that their watermarks on their Comm Games channels were way too heavy (compared to say Fox 8 or TV1 etc.). Probably a waste of time, but what the hey!

Feedback would be appreciated!

Regards

Shane

I emailed LGE about my new plasma screen(42px4dv) and asked how long the "extended period" of time was for there burn-in to happen.... they replied with...

Dear Adrian ,

Thank you for emailing LG Electronics

A static image will begin to become an issue after as little as 10 minutes. The longer it is left, the worse the effect will become.

I hope that this is of some assistance to you

Kind Regards

Pamela Lawson

10 minutes? crikey! :blink:

say your watching something that is in 4:3 or something not in 16:9 and there are black bars , do those black bars burn in?

i want to buy a plasma but i must say this burn in is making me alittle scared of buying one

You will get burnin over time with 4:3 viewing continuously such as offered on Foxtel or Austar.

It will appear as a Magenta or Pink cast in the 4:3 format and will be noticeable underneath any image shown or viewed in 16:9

I have contacted Hitachi and the reply was basically "bad luck mate you just have to put up with it" Screen wipe will not remove this cast.

cheers

Guest Spazza
Has anybody had any burn in issues whilst watching the recent Commonwealth Games coverage on Foxtel?

My daughter watched the netball game on Sunday (approx. 2 hrs) and we now have that particular channel's Foxtel watermark burned in to my Pioneer 43" HD plasma (approx 4 mths old).

Spoke to Pioneer yesterday who says that it should fade with time (cross fingers) but Foxtel have not acknowledged receiving any complaints from other users.

Nevertheless, I intend write a stern letter to Foxtel as I believe that their watermarks on their Comm Games channels were way too heavy (compared to say Fox 8 or TV1 etc.). Probably a waste of time, but what the hey!

Feedback would be appreciated!

Regards

Shane

I too had the same problem, not with foxtel, but with Eddies channel 9. My wife and I watched the Commonwealth Games for about 4-5 hours one day and too my amazement the 9 logo was in the top right corner of the screen. I rang Pioneer and the tech told me to run a movie with quick changing scenes like Top Gun (which I don't have) or something similar he said it might take a week or so but it should fade. I did this and it did fade although not completely.....I'm now trying to watch the footy and the channel nine logo is back, so I'm back to running Van Helsing to try and elminate the logo. I wrote to Channel 9 to complain............. no answer as yet!!!.......

Pioneer 50"

Hotchip STB....(temporary)

Sony DVD recorder

Sherwood 6.1 Receiver

Shane..............

I went to Myer Chatswood today to finally decide between a 43" Pioneer PDP436HD and a 50" PV500. After looking at the burn in from the 'Madagascar' DVD menu on the Pioneer, it was a fairly simple choice after hearing about burn in issues with Pioneer panels from this forum and this one at Myer just made my decision to buy the Pana much easier.

• 4 weeks later...

I've watched a fair bit of 2.35:1 material on my 4220 Teac plasma and never had any issues when watching 16:9, nothing that I could see and i'm actually looking for it.

Burn in,

Toshiba 32WL55 in store, has a dvd menu nicely imprinted in it.