Plasma burn in?

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep reading conflicting reports on how sensitive modern plasmas are to burn in. Some say it takes a long time. Other say that even a few minutes of a static image (like a PC desktop) will cause ghosting and then burn in.  What is the true story?

As indicated below the Fujitsu/Pioneer and Panasonic are great for resistance to burn in or image retention after the break in period but if you throw a static image on for hours it will burn.

During the initial run in period usally 100 to 200 hours depending on the panel you may experience image retention which will disapear

Panels such as the NEC & Marantz suffer from sever image retention during the burn in period and right upto 1000+ hours so these panels will be more susseptable to burn in than others

Personally i never allowed black bars during the initial run in period but now with over 200 hours clocked up dont care about them

Pioneer/panasonic/fujitsu are all excellent with burn-in.

Just be careful. An image for 15 min is not necessarily a problem in the first 200 hours and definitely not after that.

Damn, most of us watch dvd's with bar all the time and that's not an issue.

I'd add to that the hitachi is very resistant to any burn in as well.

I think the burn in thing is a point made a bit too much off.

To be honest only thing have always been carefull about is to not leave anything static on the screen for too long apart from that have never bothered much even with 4:3 or letterboxed material even in the run in period.

Initially you might get a slightly lighter section after extended viewing of 4:3 material but really within a few minutes it will be gone and not of any concern.

Have read of people with foxtel or other menus burnt on but thats after people have left something onscreen for hours on end or overnight - as long as you don't do silly stuff like that you shouldn't have a problem.

there was a link to panasonic plasam tips might be a good read if this is somthing of real concern to you. Do a search it wasn't long ago someone posted a link again to it.

I occasionally see the faint lighter shaded remnants of a menu or info box on my plasma when one has been on screen for a short while, but only if the subsequent scene is dark. After a few minutes it's gone. One morning I noticed it when I turned the TV on. Again it went away quite quickly, so I figure it needs some sort of pixel activity to fade it.

Also the box where a 4:3 show has been playing can linger, but it also vanishes soon after during normal use. In fact I hardly even notice it anymore, so it may be less prone to it as the run-in time ticks by. Anyway, I have stopped worrying and now just enjoy the nice vivid crisp pictures :blink:

Hopefully in a few years, burn-in won't even be a consideration on plasma's.

Manufactures have said they are getting close to this point but remember one thing CRT TV can suffer burn in as well so its really how you treat your display to what will happen to it.

I think we are at a point with the Fujitsu , Panasonic and Pioneer to where we dont have to worry like we all use to after the burn in period

So to all those out there worrying about this use common sense and it should not be an issue

I occasionally see the faint lighter shaded remnants of a menu or info box on my plasma when one has been on screen for a short while, but only if the subsequent scene is dark. After a few minutes it's gone. One morning I noticed it when I turned the TV on. Again it went away quite quickly, so I figure it needs some sort of pixel activity to fade it.

Also the box where a 4:3 show has been playing can linger, but it also vanishes soon after during normal use. In fact I hardly even notice it anymore, so it may be less prone to it as the run-in time ticks by. Anyway, I have stopped worrying and now just enjoy the nice vivid crisp pictures :blink:

wow really? which panel do you have dude?

Personally i never allowed black bars during the initial run in period but now with over 200 hours clocked up dont care about them

yeah I have hit about 340 hours now, and was quite careful up until the 300hour mark, even if it meant watching something in a distorted ratio to ensure te screen was covered, just to be on the safe side. pretty glad I dont have to do that any more though.

well some ad's in 4:3 still stress me out, like that AAMI add this is in BRIGHT BURNING RED. hopefully I get over the 4:3 phobia soon :blink:

I have even resisted palying the xbox AT ALL for that entire time - bloody tough that ahaha :P

cheers :P

yeah I have hit about 340 hours now, and was quite careful up until the 300hour mark, even if it meant watching something in a distorted ratio to ensure te screen was covered, just to be on the safe side. pretty glad I dont have to do that any more though.

well some ad's in 4:3 still stress me out, like that AAMI add this is in BRIGHT BURNING RED. hopefully I get over the 4:3 phobia soon :blink:

I have even resisted palying the xbox AT ALL for that entire time - bloody tough that ahaha :P

cheers :P

Geez me to but i have a feeling the left ball will drop and i will try in sooner or later

Man, what is it with this fobia fellas?

Put the xbox on and have some fun.

I've been internet surfing/gaming on the damn thing from day one and it's great. And yeah, i look 30cm away from the screen to make sure i don't have any issues before i switch off the plasma. :blink:

Oh yeah, pinned!. Way cool.

Manufactures have said they are getting close to this point but remember one thing CRT TV can suffer burn in as well so its really how you treat your display to what will happen to it.

I think we are at a point with the Fujitsu , Panasonic and Pioneer to where we dont have to worry like we all use to after the burn in period

So to all those out there worrying about this use common sense and it should not be an issue

And what about Samsung panels? What makes those other ones more superior?

Where do I start, not enough space on here to answer that one  :blink:

i have been appraising one of these for about 7 weeks now, the tv has approx 250 hrs on it, and i must say in all honesty, the pq is pretty darn good, admittedly i have been using my tag dvd player, for the better part of 5 weeks, but i recently connected the samsung hd-747 to the plasma, and the quality, was fairly good, a little bit of black crush but that was down to the sammy dvd player, which has had a few problems.

i must admit the only failing i could see was the samsung has a feature called dnle, which on the previous model, could be turned off and on, wheras on the new model, on is the only option,it can be tamed via proper callibration, my only complaint would be it does not handle fast moving sports like afl or football, like the fuji or nec, but at $3999 or less it is a fairly well eqipped tv for someone that wants hd but does not want to fork out big dollars.

it is also essential to run the brightness and contrast below halfway as this tv is very susceptible to a little bit of after image, in the first 200hrs, i would recommend using the pixel shift, and or signal pattern after using this tv with austar or foxtel, at least for the first 200 hrs....

i have been appraising one of these for about 7 weeks now, the tv has approx 250 hrs on it, and i must say in all honesty, the pq is pretty darn good, admittedly i have been using my tag dvd player, for the better part of 5 weeks, but i recently connected the samsung hd-747 to the plasma, and the quality, was fairly good, a little bit of black crush but that was down to the sammy dvd player, which has had a few problems.

i must admit the only failing i could see was the samsung has a feature called dnle, which on the previous model, could be turned off and on, wheras on the new model, on is the only option,it can be tamed via proper callibration, my only complaint would be it does not handle fast moving sports like afl or football, like the fuji or nec, but at $3999 or less it is a fairly well eqipped tv for someone that wants hd but does not want to fork out big dollars.

it is also essential to run the brightness and contrast below halfway as this tv is very susceptible to a little bit of after image, in the first 200hrs, i would recommend using the pixel shift, and or signal pattern after using this tv with austar or foxtel, at least for the first 200 hrs....

Hey, I think we have the same TV! PS42S5?

yes shmick, i have been playing around with the ps42s5 hd not a bad tv given its price point, when set up properly..........

Shmick, i must admit getting into the service menu helps but you really have to know what you are doing, the samsung service menus are very extensive, but the end results are truly amazing with this plasma, an 80% improvement from standard settings out of the box.........