Sign in to follow this  
mchuelio

"Pana Paradise"

Again. Not sure what cables on this one. I did not set the system up so will have to double check.

How are you running the toppy?

I think I checked out the distance calculator on this site and several people have said that 3 meters was OK for that size screen. And the problem does not seem to be pixelation. It is a most definate smearing and ghosting effect. As the girls face went by it seemed to really blur into one smudge. Not pixelation.

You are touch and go with viewing distance.

Many dont recommend viewing under 4 metres with a 50 incher because of pixelation effect in certain scenes.

Fair point on not understanding your options. My bad for not being a little more understanding.

I did not pick up on the lack of understanding in your post. Just advice. This is the reason I post on here so that people out there with more knowledge than myself will be able to help me out.

I'm sure you getting a great picture through your STB and hdmi. Pity these new panels don't have 2 hdmi connectors. That would have solved the issue.

There are some occassions when close ups of people's faces show ghosting on the HD STB. I keep thinking though that this may be due to the settings on the TV. Still running on run in mode so everything is really set to 40% ie brightness, contrast etc with no enhancements switched on.

Anyway, a good component dvd player is want. Maybe even an upscaler over component (This ones rare though).

What is an upscaler?

Just remember, only use composite or s-video if you must.

I am going to check out to see what the cable set up is and if it is the above then I will get some component cables.

When i first got my 50" i had a pioneer 676 dvd player running through component and had a sufficient amount of smearing. I now upscale through HDMi on another player and the difference is huge. So spend a few bucks and you won't regret it.

I was looking at the Denon 1920 player as it seems to be getting some rave reviews on this forum. That would be a better player? Then on another thread on the forum I am asking about the Panasonic XR55 amp.

I have looked in the manual and there are only two component in, one s video and one hdmi. I have to run a toppy SD STB, a DSE 8000 HD STB, a Panasonic basic DVD recorder, and the Sony DAVFC7. which has the following outputs

Interfaces

Component Out:Rear x 1

S-Video Out:Rear x 1

Audio Line In:Rear x 2

Audio Line Out:Rear x 1

Optical Digital In:Rear x 1

Headphone Jack:Yes

Is there a suggested way of connecting all of these to ensure the correct PQ? Also to try and fit into the mix is a Playstation which has yet to be connected.

Guest EZYHD
I was looking at the Denon 1920 player as it seems to be getting some rave reviews on this forum.  That would be a better player?    Then on another thread on the forum I am asking about the Panasonic XR55 amp.

The Panasonic VD S97 is HDMi getting good reviews. (could be D97?).

I've joined the club.. I've bought the 500A tonight.

Got it for $3800 + $300 for an extra two years of warranty from Myer, Ringwood, Melbourne.

This is after I returned the Samsung 5H as I was very very unhappy with the picture quality. The solorisation was terrible. I really had a hard time returning it. Don't always think Myer will let you return anything.

Thanks for that one.

I think one of the other reasons for looking at the Denon is that it offers SACD capabilities and DVD A but could not see if the Panasonic did SACD.

ozboyz

The Panasonic VD S97 is HDMi getting good reviews. (could be D97?).

Thanks for that one.

I think one of the other reasons for looking at the Denon is that it offers SACD capabilities and DVD A but could not see if the Panasonic did SACD.

ozboyz

Have you considered the pio 969avi? Upscales over hdmi and apparently, very good quality component.

It is quite expensive considering it is only a DVD player. Sure it seems to have quite a few nice features, but a bit pricey.

Have you considered the pio 969avi? Upscales over hdmi and apparently, very good quality component.

It is quite expensive considering it is only a DVD player.    Sure it seems to have quite a few nice features, but a bit pricey.

Considering your plasma cost $6,000+, a $900 dvd player which will make sure you get top quality from your $6,000 investment almost seems cheap. That's not to say you won't be happy with something a little cheaper.

It was showing up as being something like $1499.

Considering your plasma cost $6,000+, a $900 dvd player which will make sure you get top quality from your $6,000 investment almost seems cheap. That's not to say you won't be happy with something a little cheaper.

I have a problem with my pana 50a SD i see a trail (like LCD) behind moving thing's is this a usual thing for plasma or is my panal broken (i don't see it behind DVD though so i'm confused now).

Hi Ejm,

I have the 500A and I noticed the same effect, I tracked it down to being the Noise Reduction settings (DPNR & Mpeg NR) especially if they are set to Strong - I turned these off and the trails are no longer present.

This could be something to experiment with.

Hi Ejm,

I have the 500A and I noticed the same effect, I tracked it down to being the Noise Reduction settings (DPNR & Mpeg NR) especially if they are set to Strong - I turned these off and the trails are no longer present.

This could be something to experiment with.

Thank's for that and it worked on mine to.

I've joined the club..   I've bought the 500A tonight. 

Got it for $3800 + $300 for an extra two years of warranty from Myer, Ringwood, Melbourne.

This is after I returned the Samsung 5H as I was very very unhappy with the picture quality.  The solorisation was terrible.   I really had a hard time returning it.  Don't always think Myer will let you return anything.

That's pretty much my story exactly, only this was a few months back . I bought the Sammy and returned it to Megamart due to excessive solarisation/clayface/whatever it's called..

what kind of stories were they coming up with not to return your cash ?

Are people experiencing this solarisation effect during their run in period of the plasma or is this after that period and when their TV has been calibrated to recommended levels?

The reason for asking is that we seem to be experiencing some trailing and solarisation and the settings are off and running the DSE HD STB 8000 via HDMI. Is this something that will become less apparant once we get the TV up and running to it's full capacity or will we expect to have this problem continue?

Also just bought a set of Monster cables which we have running from the Sony DAVFC7 into the TV so hopefully that will correct any visual disturbances that we may have been experiencing from the DVD player. We need to get the Boogyman DVD again and see if the swing scene has been fixed.

That's pretty much my story exactly, only this was a few months back .  I bought the Sammy and returned it to Megamart due to excessive solarisation/clayface/whatever it's called..

what kind of stories were they coming up with not to return your cash ?

"what kind of stories were they coming up with not to return your cash ?"

Originally they said I couldn't return it, as it's not actualy broken. And there is nothing they could do.. Sorry.. goodbye. go away now. And this was after having the TV for two days!

Came back the next day to speak to the manager. Who said, we'll send out a technician. As it's Samsungs policy. Then if it's not fixed. We'll help you out.

So I managed to return it.. And since I wanted the 500a, I didn't ask for cash back, as they matched a good price I had gotten elsewhere.

Guest EZYHD
"what kind of stories were they coming up with not to return your cash ?"

Originally they said I couldn't return it, as it's not actualy broken.  And there is nothing they could do.. Sorry.. goodbye. go away now.  And this was after having the TV for two days!

Came back the next day to speak to the manager.  Who said, we'll send out a technician.  As it's Samsungs policy.  Then if it's not fixed.  We'll help you out.

So I managed to return it..  And since I wanted the 500a, I didn't ask for cash back, as they matched a good price I had gotten elsewhere.

I had something similar, the Sammy just kept turning itself on and off every few seconds, waited 4 weeks still not fixed - no parts available), went back to my Retravision store where I bought it, they took it back no problem and I paid the difference for a Panny 500A. Top service from Retra and I'm more than happy now.

Looking forward to receiving the Panasonic. Really disappointed with the Samsung. Suprised the picture was so bad.

I should of done a bit more research before I purchased it the first time.

dear all,

after several weeks of searching and comparing I am about to join the pana club. best price I have been quoted is $3900 for HD 42" + humax HD STB + HDMI to DVI cable. Something tells me this is a deal.. any advice on this would be appreciated. thanx in advance.. SK

Guys, could you explain one thing for me:

"Component Video Input, 2

Applicable Component Video Signals 640x480i (NTSC) @ 60Hz

HDMI Video/Audio Input Yes

Applicable HDMI Video Signals 640x480i (NTSC) @ 60Hz"

What exactly is the 'applicable signal' mean?

Just joined club pana myself.....

Bought the Pana 42 HD for $4300 which includes the LG 5100 HD Set top box

I know people in Sydney and Melbourne getting this panel for $3600, but unfortunately i'm in Adelaide and they aren't that cheap yet....

I hope this is a good combination........

Just come back from ex-MegaMart now HN in Narre Warren where from I purchased a 3-week old display 42PV500A for $3100. It's been off for 10 of those days whilst the store has been closed too. I am pretty wary of buying display stock so I insisted on knowing what it has been displaying and if brightness & contrast had been kept at factory settings or lower. Both the sales person and dept manager gave answers indicating they well know their do's and don't with new plasmas and after checking the running time (112 hours), I just couldn't pass up the deal!