Sign in to follow this  
mchuelio

"Pana Paradise"

Hi, Hubby got Foxtel on Sat (we have the 50PV500A) and it looks disgusting. We didn't get digital, so that may be better. The MotoGP was on on Sunday, and he watched it on Channel 10 rather than Fox as it was so much sharper and the colours were so much better thru the STB.

Myer have a Foxtel stand, so you could wander in there and have a look.

Hi, Hubby got Foxtel on Sat (we have the 50PV500A) and it looks disgusting.  We didn't get digital, so that may be better.  The MotoGP was on on Sunday, and he watched it on Channel 10 rather than Fox as it was so much sharper and the colours were so much better thru the STB.

Myer have a Foxtel stand, so you could wander in there and have a look.

Foxtel needs an external scaler to look good.

Yeah, but does the Pana do a better or worse job of displaying Digital Fox over the other brands pannels?

Thanks Shinrai.

How, forgive my ignorance, what's a Scaler?

Between you and me (and maybe the few hundred on the forum), I am hoping hubby gives up on Foxtel. I have become a Sport Widow!!! :blink:

I'll tell him tonight. I swear. Trust me.

Yeah, but does the Pana do a better or worse job of displaying Digital Fox over the other brands pannels?

I understand foxtel looks better on a fuji. Much due to the better internal scaler on the fuji.

FOXTEL looks OK when you connect with a scart to component, but you can only do this on FOXTEL Digital boxes. An external scaler such as the VP30 won't do much; you'll need a scaler like the Vantage-HD or the Algolith Mosquito or Dragonfly that manages video images better (the Iscans are really only good for film material). But given the compression Foxtel uses, there's only so much a scaler can do.

Thanks Shinrai.

How, forgive my ignorance, what's a Scaler?

Between you and me (and maybe the few hundred on the forum), I am hoping hubby gives up on Foxtel. I have become a Sport Widow!!!  :blink:

I'll tell him tonight.  I swear.  Trust me.

Like the VP30, they take an image, clean it up and redisplay it to fit your panel. There are some very good older threads on the VP30.

This is not correct. I can run composite out of my Panasonic plasma with foxtel, get a very good picture and not see any banding on peoples faces that you see on so many other plasmas including Pioneer & Fujitsu panels. This is the main reason I have stuck with the Panasonic brand over the last 3 years of owning plasmas. Nearly all my viewing is sd fta & fox. People refer to a particular display as being the best because of how it displays a high bitrate image. My panel performs very well at both ends of the bitrate scale.

As for the Vierras, they display more noise than the commercial panels but you should still be able to achieve a very good picture with the right type of connection and cabling without the need for an expensive scaler.

Hi

Have many people here used either the SD or HD pana with a foxtel digital box? What is the PQ like? I ahve heard reports that it is pretty ordinary.

Keen to hear any views.

Thanks

Trav100

On my SD plasma it is not very good and HD panels would even be worse.

I understand foxtel looks better on a fuji. Much due to the better internal scaler on the fuji.

Panasonic's look heaps better than fuji's on fox my mate has a fuji SD and it is worse than on my pana SD.

Panasonic's look heaps better than fuji's on fox my mate has a fuji SD and it is worse than on my pana SD.

What about your mates other sources. Such as SD and HD tv and dvd?

Does the pana crap all over the fuji there too?

What about your mates other sources. Such as SD and HD tv and dvd?

Does the pana crap all over the fuji there too?

No they are about the same on every thing els.

Hi All,

Joined the "Pan Clan" as it's been called two weeks ago with the purchase of a 42PV500A. For those who care, paid $4,999 as a package with a Panasonic TU-HDT104A STB & five years warranty.

I did my own extremely lengthy research, including lots of visual comparisons, but purposely little exposure to internet reviews & forums (like this one). I work for a FTA in the on-air area so am a bit anal about what I like.

I can honestly say (without prejudice for the fact that my bank account is now minus the purchase price), that it is truly an excellent display - & hey, it looks even better in my longeroom then in did in the retailers' fluoro-lit display areas.

So despite my trepidation about what I might read (did I make the right choice or pay to much?), I finally had a look on this side of the DTV Forum to see what you lot had to say about it. (I normally live over in the Geographical Viewers Forum reading the problems that the bloody FTA's cause you lot.)

So it was rather pleasing to read the many positive coments & reviews, thus confirming my own rather "anal choice"! Yes, we all made a good choice, didn't we!?!.....

Since purchase, I have used three different HD STB's on it so far due to my pickiness with their features (lack of)&/or performance. They being, the original Panasonic TU-HDT104A, the Samsung DTD-H550F & the LG LST-5100P. Am about to try a Thompson, Dgtec & Mediastar. I won't clog up this thread with my concerns - if you're interested PM me.

The main reason for posting here is that (besides gloating with all of you about how good the Panasonic's are), to question you other owners about the PC (VGA) input.

When selecting PC as your input source, under Setup Menu & PC Setup (page 26 of the manual), do you all have "Input Resolution" as your first setting, followed by "Clock"? My first setting is "Clock".

And following on from this question, have any of you tried 1080i on the VGA input? Using all three STB's, none will display above 576P (ie: no 720P or 1080i). The plasma only displays "No Input".

Have also tried two different PC's into the VGA input. My old laptop at 800 x 600 res looks great. With the u-beaut 3.4GHz however, apart from when it's first booting & displaying "Windows XP", nothing is displayed. Have tried all resolution settings from 640x480 to 1600x1200 - constantly displays "No Input".

Rung Panasonic this morning. Got straight thru' (no "You're call is important to us" crap) & spoke to a very informed lady who sought some extra advice, but eventiually felt that "Input Resolution" should be there. Despite not being able to help, I'll give a definite "thumbs up" to Panasonic to their helpline people.

Any thoughts people? - Have I done something really stupid? (Heaven forbid & thanks to the anonyminity afforded by the forum!).

Thanks in advance,

John

I have a problem with my pana 50a SD i see a trail (like LCD) behind moving thing's is this a usual thing for plasma or is my panal broken (i don't see it behind DVD though so i'm confused now).

The main reason for posting here is that (besides gloating with all of you about how good the Panasonic's are), to question you other owners about the PC (VGA) input.

When selecting PC as your input source, under Setup Menu & PC Setup (page 26 of the manual), do you all have "Input Resolution" as your first setting, followed by "Clock"? My first setting is "Clock".

And following on from this question, have any of you tried 1080i on the VGA input? Using all three STB's, none will display above 576P (ie: no 720P or 1080i). The plasma only displays "No Input".

Have also tried two different PC's into the VGA input. My old laptop at 800 x 600 res looks great. With the u-beaut 3.4GHz however, apart from when it's first booting & displaying "Windows XP", nothing is displayed. Have tried all resolution settings from 640x480 to 1600x1200 - constantly displays "No Input".

I get "Clock" first when there is no signal in. I get "Input Resolution" showing when I plug my Mac in. It's probably your graphics card not talking to the plasma properly. Check if your settings are beyond the range as listed on page 41 - eg trying to drive at a frequency too high. See also page 12.

buckets,

broadbeans answer is probably source of the problem. Make sure your refresh rate is set to 60hz. On the avforums web site there is a thread describing how to pixel map a pv500 (50") panel using a pc.

Thanks for the responses Broadbeen & Cummo.

You are quite correct, as I also "discovered" last night. (Isn't it amazing what you figure out AFTER you've posted for help!)

Re-reading the section on Page 26 where it refers to the "Input Resolution" on the PC (VGA) input, the wording is rather poor, but this particular menu item is actually only displayed when you have a COMPATABLE VGA source on the Pana's input, but then as I discovered, not all the time anyway.

To cut a very long story short, about 2am this morning I ended-up with a very nice 1280x1024 resolution display from the computer on the plasma. This was after a LOT of hit & miss with adjusting refresh rates to try & get close to the vertical & horizontal frequencies the Pana required to enable display & not state "No Signal".

Page 41 helps slightly with details about V & H freqs & refresh rates, but none listed actually matched what the plasma indicated top right of screen (when in PC Setup) as I adjusted the PC's display refresh rate. Incidentally, if the V & H figures displayed top right are red when you attach a VGA source, then it is outside of the plasma's acceptable range & it definitely won't display!

To get the 1280x1024 signal to display on my plasma, my PC's refresh rate ended up being set to 100Hz, not 60Hz as suggested on the Page 41 list. The displayed V & H figures are also different to what is listed, but at least it does actually display!

Also, many times as I adjusted refresh rates & resolution on the PC, "Input Resolution" was not displayed, but I still had a picture on the plasma.

Incidentally, when "Input Resolution" was finally displayed, the only two listings were VGA & WVGA. VGA (as noted on Page 25) is 640x480 & WVGA is 852x480, yet I was pumping in 1280x1024, go figure. Changing between them, VGA actually provided the better picture as the W (for Wide) actually distorted the picture further.

After the hours spent getting this input to work off my computer, I then re-tried connecting the HD STB (presently a Samsung DTD-H550F, but soon to be changed) into the same VGA inputs, but still no joy, it still only displays 576P.

It's all a bit hit & miss in my mind, but I eventually got there & I probably learned a bit on the way. But hey, it's "way cool" to sit in the loungeroom using the RF mouse on the coffee table to watch movies, listen to music or surf the net, all on a 42" display!

Despite all of the abve, I still absolutely love my Pana'.

John

We have the 50" Pana HD and while watching Boogeyman last night on DVD we noticed that during a scene when this little girl was moving back and forward on a swing, there was significant blurring of her face, in fact quite a great deal of trailing. I believe we are using either s video or composite to connect the DVD player to the TV. Any thoughts?

ozboyz

I have a problem with my pana 50a SD i see a trail (like LCD) behind moving thing's is this a usual thing for plasma or is my panal broken (i don't see it behind DVD though so i'm confused now).

We have the 50" Pana HD and while watching Boogeyman last night on DVD we noticed that during a scene when this little girl was moving back and forward on a swing, there was significant blurring of her face, in fact quite a great deal of trailing.  I believe we are using either s video or composite to connect the DVD player to the TV.    Any thoughts?

ozboyz

How far are you sitting from the plasma?

We have the 50" Pana HD and while watching Boogeyman last night on DVD we noticed that during a scene when this little girl was moving back and forward on a swing, there was significant blurring of her face, in fact quite a great deal of trailing.  I believe we are using either s video or composite to connect the DVD player to the TV.    Any thoughts?

ozboyz

Wow! :blink:

What kind of dvd player?

Don't connect s-video and composite for the dvd player to a 50" plasma unless you enjoy wasting bucks. You spent good money on a good plasma and your feeding it what sounds like a totally crap signal. And your wondering why you getting smearing?

You need to use component at a minimum on a 50" plasma.

Surely your joking? Surely you going to use component or buy a DECENT dvd player with component or hdmi?

Lucky the chair had a back on it because i nearly hit the floor.

Sorry, i didn't mean to be too forward but composite or s-video to a 50" plasma is a big no no.

Hello.

What kind of dvd player?

It is a Sony DAV-FC7 which is one of those HTIB set ups.

feeding it what sounds like a totally crap signal. And your wondering why you getting smearing?

No. This is what I need to hear and know. I really do not have a clue. I scour this forum for hints and advice and take note of what people say. I am sure it is s-video. I will have to double check.

I am still at the running in stage so all of my settings are at 40% and no colour enhancement modes etc in play yet.

Surely your joking? Surely you going to use component or buy a DECENT dvd player with component or hdmi?

I am running my DSE HD 8000 into the TV with the HDMI. As for a new DVD player, I have placed a thread elsewhere asking for advice on pairing up a Pana SA XR55 with a Denon 1920 as options, and then to find out what reasonable price speakers to use.

Hope you didn't hurt yourself too much!!

Sorry, i didn't mean to be too forward but composite or s-video to a 50" plasma is a big no no.

I will have to really check to see what cables I have got running as it was not me who set it up (I really do lack the techno knowledge in this area).

ozboyz

Just under 3 meters. The remainder of the screen is fine. It was just this particular section. The scenario was this - there were two swings. The girl was on the rear swing and the guy directly in front. she is swinging back and forth while the guy talks to her. he is clear. she has that trail/blur effect. very much like multiple images over imposed on just her. Also while watching Wilde ( a recording from tv on the toppy) as the camera panned across a water scene, the water seemed to become juttery.

How far are you sitting from the plasma?

Hello.

What kind of dvd player?

It is a Sony DAV-FC7 which is one of those HTIB set ups.

feeding it what sounds like a totally crap signal. And your wondering why you getting smearing?

No.  This is what I need to hear and know.    I really do not have a clue.  I scour this forum for hints and advice and take note of what people say.    I am sure it is s-video.  I will have to double check.

I am still at the running in stage so all of my settings are at 40% and no colour enhancement modes etc in play yet.

I am running my DSE HD 8000 into the TV with the HDMI.  As for a new DVD player, I have placed a thread elsewhere asking for advice on pairing up a Pana SA XR55 with a Denon 1920 as options, and then to find out what reasonable price speakers to use.

Hope you didn't hurt yourself too much!!

I will have to really check to see what cables I have got running as it was not me who set it up (I really do lack the techno knowledge in this area).   

ozboyz

Fair point on not understanding your options. My bad for not being a little more understanding.

I'm sure you getting a great picture through your STB and hdmi. Pity these new panels don't have 2 hdmi connectors. That would have solved the issue.

Anyway, a good component dvd player is want. Maybe even an upscaler over component (This ones rare though).

Just remember, only use composite or s-video if you must.

When i first got my 50" i had a pioneer 676 dvd player running through component and had a sufficient amount of smearing. I now upscale through HDMi on another player and the difference is huge. So spend a few bucks and you won't regret it.

Just under 3 meters.    The remainder of the screen is fine.    It was just this particular section.    The scenario was this - there were two swings.    The girl was on the rear swing and the guy directly in front.    she is swinging back and forth while the guy talks to her.  he is clear.  she has that trail/blur effect.    very much like multiple images over imposed on just her.    Also while watching Wilde ( a recording from tv on the toppy) as the camera panned across a water scene, the water seemed to become juttery.

How are you running the toppy?

Just under 3 meters.    The remainder of the screen is fine.    It was just this particular section.    The scenario was this - there were two swings.    The girl was on the rear swing and the guy directly in front.    she is swinging back and forth while the guy talks to her.  he is clear.  she has that trail/blur effect.    very much like multiple images over imposed on just her.    Also while watching Wilde ( a recording from tv on the toppy) as the camera panned across a water scene, the water seemed to become juttery.

You are touch and go with viewing distance.

Many dont recommend viewing under 4 metres with a 50 incher because of pixelation effect in certain scenes.