Sign in to follow this  
mchuelio

"Pana Paradise"

Hi guys, just to let you know yesterday I went and checked out the New Pioneer Plasma PDP506HD... stunning, but I still prefer the Pana!

Phew, found out a new Pio was coming AFTER I ordered the TH-50PV500A and kicked myself for not waiting.

Anyone else seen it? What did you think?

Hi guys, just to let you know yesterday I went and checked out the New Pioneer Plasma PDP506HD... stunning, but I still prefer the Pana!

Phew, found out a new Pio was coming AFTER I ordered the TH-50PV500A and kicked myself for not waiting.

Anyone else seen it?  What did you think?

dropped into David Jones (Pitt St Sydney) at lunch time and they have the new Pioneer and the Panasonics setup, both are awsome, but u still cant beat the 50" pana specially when I hear of a few people getting them for aroung $5500......but that was through a hell of a lot of work, cash disc bundles etc...

Will people really be able to tell the difference btw 4000:1 contrast and 3000:1 contrast. hmmmm not sure.... both stella sets

Based on what you guys have been saying on this forum (you all seem happy with your choices), and reading the specs and the favourable CNN reports, I finally decided on the Panasonic TH-42PV500A and went out today with the intention of making a purchase.

However after getting a demo of one at Megamart I walked away without making the purchase being very disappointed in the picture quality.

There must be something amiss here since everyone is saying how great the picture is.

What I saw was a great looking picture when the scene was stationary but as soon as there was movement or the camera panned, the detail broke up, edges became fuzzy and the movement became jerky.

They had it on Foxtel digital and I watched it for about 10 minutes but the breakup was consistent on any moving scenes.

Is this just a poorly configured box or does the Pana really have this problem ?

Based on what you guys have been saying on this forum (you all seem happy with your choices), and reading the specs and the favourable CNN reports, I finally decided on the Panasonic TH-42PV500A and went out today with the intention of making a purchase.

However after getting a demo of one at Megamart I walked away without making the purchase being very disappointed in the picture quality.

There must be something amiss here since everyone is saying how great the picture is.

What I saw was a great looking picture when the scene was stationary but as soon as there was movement or the camera panned, the detail broke up, edges became fuzzy and the movement became jerky.

They had it on Foxtel digital and I watched it for about 10 minutes but the breakup was consistent on any moving scenes.

Is this just a poorly configured box or does the Pana really have this problem ?

They had it on Foxtel Digital eh? There is your problem. And how did they have it connected to the Foxtel decoder? Probably composite perhaps. There is a lot of compression with Foxtel's bitstream. Ask the retailer to put a HD box on the set and make judgement from there.

Yeah, and how many other sets were running off the one composite signal :blink:

You might've been lucky and they may have been splitting it and running it through RF. That's how our local harvey norman likes to show off their high def displays!

Thanks Guys,

I was beginning to suspect it may be something like this. As I thought more about it I realised that I noticed some of the other brands that were showing the same picture in the store had the same behaviour, so unless this is characteristic of all Plasmas (and I don't believe that it is) then it must have been their set-up.

As I've not read any bad reports about the Panasonics, I'll stick to my original plan and purchase the TH-42PV500A.

I'll post my impressions once I've got it set up - I see a lot of configuration advice on these forums that I can use.

(now I've just got to get over my fears of burn-in :blink: but there's plenty of advice on that too)

Cheers.

Thanks Guys,

I was beginning to suspect it may be something like this. As I thought more about it I realised that I noticed some of the other brands that were showing the same picture in the store had the same behaviour, so unless this is characteristic of all Plasmas (and I don't believe that it is) then it must have been their set-up.

As I've not read any bad reports about the Panasonics, I'll stick to my original plan and purchase the TH-42PV500A.

I'll post my impressions once I've got it set up - I see a lot of configuration advice on these forums that I can use.

(now I've just got to get over my fears of burn-in :blink: but there's plenty of advice on that too)

Cheers.

If you want to be better informed about the pana's then maybe you should take a look at avsforums and avforums. Both have plenty of details about issues with the latest generation of pana's.

It always pays to know the weaknesses or potential problems of what you are buying.

Guest EZYHD

When viewing any Plasma in a store stand back the distance you will be sitting at, if the picture is not right ask them to tune it in properly.

Take your own DVD and get them to play it, may be a better outcome

Thanks again for the feedback,

I went to another retailer today who apparently had their demo systems better set up and I was more comfortable with what I saw.

I took the plunge and have just unpacked and set-up the TH-42PV500A, and I am pleased to say that the picture quality is superb.

It's like I'm seeing my DVD's for the first time in all their clear wide-screen glory.

Fast motion scenes are stable and the detail doesn't break up, and no blurring or ghosting.

Extremely Happy.

I just joined "pana paridise" by buying a TH-42PA50A for 2960 with 3yrs extended warenty and i would like to know what are some good settings for it in during the run-in period. Your help would be appreciated

Thanks again for the feedback,

I went to another retailer today who apparently had their demo systems better set up and I was more comfortable with what I saw.

I took the plunge and have just unpacked and set-up the TH-42PV500A, and I am pleased to say that the picture quality is superb.

It's like I'm seeing my DVD's for the first time in all their clear wide-screen glory.

Fast motion scenes are stable and the detail doesn't break up, and no blurring or ghosting.

Extremely Happy.

Gearloose, can you share with us where you bought it and price paid? Sounds like you have done well and pleased with the outcome.

I just joined "pana paridise" by buying a TH-42PA50A for 2960 with 3yrs extended warenty and i would like to know what are some good settings for it in during the run-in period. Your help would be appreciated

Hey ejm,

I also bought this plasma in the last few days (paid $2700 with 12 months Interest Free at Harvey Norman Balgowlah).

I am enjoying the following calibration:

Contrast: 85

Brightness: 48

Sharpness: 18

Colour: 45

Colour Management: Off

Colour Setting: (or whatever it says): Standard

At the end of the day though, use your own eyes to judge. Make sure the contrast isn't so high that the whites blur, that the brightness is low enough that the blacks look good but you don't lose detail. Sharpness should be lowish. And Colour is all about personal preference.

Even my Foxtel Digital is looking sweet (enough).

Tony

Hey ejm,

I also bought this plasma in the last few days (paid $2700 with 12 months Interest Free at Harvey Norman Balgowlah).

I am enjoying the following calibration:

Contrast: 85

Brightness: 48

Sharpness: 18

Colour: 45

Colour Management: Off

Colour Setting: (or whatever it says): Standard

At the end of the day though, use your own eyes to judge. Make sure the contrast isn't so high that the whites blur, that the brightness is low enough that the blacks look good but you don't lose detail. Sharpness should be lowish. And Colour is all about personal preference.

Even my Foxtel Digital is looking sweet (enough).

Tony

did you get extended warenty because i got that price with no extended warenty than i got and extra 4 yrs and it came to 2960 and i just read on panasonic's website to keep contrast lower that 50 for first 100 hrs just thought i might tell you (it reduces the chance of burn-in)

did you get extended warenty because i got that price with no extended warenty than i got and extra 4 yrs and it came to 2960 and i just read on panasonic's website to keep contrast lower that 50 for first 100 hrs just thought i might tell you (it reduces the chance of burn-in)

Yeah, there are conflicting reports about what to do in the first 100 hrs. If you read the pinned article about burn-in, Panasonic now claim no 'running in' is necessary with their Plasma screens. There are still old articles around on the Panasonic website saying you should... but my understanding is that they are outdated.

Cheers.

Yeah, there are conflicting reports about what to do in the first 100 hrs. If you read the pinned article about burn-in, Panasonic now claim no 'running in' is necessary with their Plasma screens. There are still old articles around on the Panasonic website saying you should... but my understanding is that they are outdated.

Cheers.

you might want to read this too if you haven't caught it already, though the guy never posted back as to what the outcome is so whose to know.

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...ndpost&p=273518

From what i've seen from 3 plasmas at home, admitedly last gen panels, i would be very very cautious about raising contrast above 75% of the possible output. Fiddle with the other settings but don't be too comfortable with panas statement as i think the marketing department would have had a greater say in that article than the tech dept.

It is a positive attribute for a company to be able to say that plasmas don't need to be run in anymore but i get the feeling that panasonic may have flipped a coin on this issue and calculated the odds in it's favour. If they get a few complaints, i'm sure it won't be a big deal if on the other side they get far more sales by claiming to be the first with a non run in period.

Gearloose, can you share with us where you bought it and price paid?  Sounds like you have done well and pleased with the outcome.

Yes - nothing special, I'm in Sydney and many of the retailers I visited were only offering the RRP of $4999. Can't seem to get the prices other states get.

I finally decided on Dick Smith PowerHouse who let it go for $4450.

I think they would have come down further if I could show them a cheaper price elsewhere but I couldn't.

I'm staisfied with this price - although I think these will be a lot cheaper in a very short time.

Hello all, I had my first "Burn In issue" yesterday I was watching the Baseball on Fox sports for around 1-1 1/2, and that night watching a movie I noticed that I could still see the scoring box and the Foxtel logo, just for a second when the screen went white for about 3 seconds in the movie.

Arrr Crap I said "What the Fruit was that"

I paused and went back and there it was, the score and the foxsports logo, on the white background only, what tha I said and watched the rest of the movie and really didnt see it much else!

But crap on me, that scared the crap out of me, my settings are still at 55 contrast and 50 brightness, so still haven't unleased the beast!

So in Short be careful, I watch TV today and haven't really noticed it, but there wasn't alot of white background on the show!

Even in "Pana Vision" it does happen, maybe not permanent in my case, but be very careful boys and girls!

Keep Trucking!!!!

MC :ph34r:

Cheers.

Yer they are i checked the date and it was Nov 04

All clear with the burn in issue, with last post!

Did a good test last night and all is clear, did the DVE DVD and went though the test patterns and all is good (Thank God).

So be careful boys and girls!

Hmmmmm Pana Vision!

Also Just watched the First 4 Episodes of LOST Season 2, sent direct from a friend in the US, Record from a HD Source and in Dolby 2.0, picture and sound are just great!

I was just shitting myself, what a great Fricking show, some things have been revealed!!

Hubba Hubba, I wana watch episode 5 please NOW!

Keep Trucking!

Mc :ph34r:

Just wondering - is the PA50A is labelled a progressive panel does that mean that I would get a better looking picture on my HD set top box using 720p instead of 1080i?

I am aware of the debate of using a HD box on a SD panel but humour me some...

First post for me, have been viewing this site for awhile now, thanks to all those who have posted about the TH-42PV500A plasma and who gave their thoughts and reviews on this Great looking Plasma, mine is arriving Thursday. By the way got mine from Myer at Macquarie in Nth Ryde for $4250 from $4499 with 12 months interest free, happy with that price and keeping my cash.

Palms

Hi

Have many people here used either the SD or HD pana with a foxtel digital box? What is the PQ like? I ahve heard reports that it is pretty ordinary.

Keen to hear any views.

Thanks

Trav100