"Pana Paradise"

Just purchased the Panasonic 42PV500A for $3680 from a store in Brisbane (Sorry I cant say were) but if you push hard enough they can come to that price.

I think this is a awsome deal for a HD televison. I was going to buy the Fujitsu but it wasnt worth an additional $1500. (Not in my eyes- personally the pana looked better to me - and that is all that matters at the end of the day)

I also purchased an additional 4 yr warranty that brought the unit up to $4100 which gives me 5 years of no headaches.

4.1 K for a HD plasma tele and 5 years of warrantly makes even the pioneer look sick.

I also puchased the LG5100 HDSTB- Hopefully it is a good choice - time will tell paid $435

Should have it delivered early next week -  cant wait  :blink:

That is a great price. If its that good why cant you tell us were you got it from? I am looking at buying one very soon. Just give us a little hint!! :P

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread looks like its becoming the defacto "how much you paid" one now, so for info:

Today I paid $3600 for a TH-42PV500A with desktop stand, plus $295 for a "no lemon" four additional years warranty. No other bundled purchases, or delivery.

Total $3895.00 with five year warranty. On Visa credit card.

Sunshine Coast QLD

That song "We'll beat any deal" keeps going through my head now. Bugger!

Was not a big hassle doing business. Just stand your ground and be prepared to walk away. There are plenty of other shops. I tried two others and got knocked back. Third time lucky.

Imagine how low these things will be after Christmas. Couldn't wait that long tho.

Set up and running Hotchip HD STB and Pioneer DV-676A. Very happy with PQ out of the box. Now for a bit of fiddling!

This thread looks like its becoming the defacto "how much you paid" one now, so for info:

Today I paid $3600 for a TH-42PV500A with desktop stand, plus $295 for a "no lemon" four additional years warranty. No other bundled purchases, or delivery.

Sunshine Coast QLD

Was not a big hassle doing business. Just stand your ground and be prepared to walk away. There are plenty of other shops. I tried two others and got knocked back. Third time lucky.

Imagine how low these things will be after Christmas. Couldn't wait that long tho.

Set up and running Hotchip HD STB and Pioneer DV-676A. Very happy with PQ out of the box. Now for a bit of fiddling!

Crazy prices all round, it must crack the $3500 very soon boys and girls!

Goodluck and happy Viewing!

Mc :ph34r:

I'd be very interested to hear what people think of $5715 deliverer for the 50" TH50PV500A, this is the price for at Myer with their 10% off and then a further 10% with the Myer card.

Very tempted, they also offered $550 for extended 5 years warrenty.

Is this a good deal?

I'd be very interested to hear what people think of $5715 deliverer for the 50" TH50PV500A, this is the price for at Myer with their 10% off and then a further 10% with the Myer card.

Very tempted, they also offered $550 for extended 5 years warrenty.

Is this a good deal?

thats a pretty awesome price

Strange how pana are dropping there prices so quickly. They usually do this when a new model is coming out.

competition from all the others. fuji, hitachi, new pio on way

there's a optima HD planel for 3k with HD STB already from leading edge computers i no it's not pana but it's HD

Just because a panel is HD doesn't mean the image quality is any good. The digital processing used in the set is at least as important as the resolution. An HD set with bad processing leads to the jagged shimmering mess most older HD panels show, particularly when dealing with scaled source images (i.e. most sources).

The reason why the Pana HD is such a joy is because I can honestly say when I watch either DVD or HDTV sources (i.e. 576p, 720p or 1080i) the image is natural, sharp and not jagged/pixellated or stuttery.

The HD Pana will eventually drop below $3.5K soon, so hang on for that - or just get the PA50A SD Pana and pay even less.

Sunshine Coast QLD

Just because a panel is HD doesn't mean the image quality is any good. The digital processing used in the set is at least as important as the resolution. An HD set with bad processing leads to the jagged shimmering mess most older HD panels show, particularly when dealing with scaled source images (i.e. most sources).

The reason why the Pana HD is such a joy is because I can honestly say when I watch either DVD or HDTV sources (i.e. 576p, 720p or 1080i) the image is natural, sharp and not jagged/pixellated or stuttery.

The HD Pana will eventually drop below $3.5K soon, so hang on for that - or just get the PA50A SD Pana and pay even less.

The Pana has had some good reviews,The Hitachi 6000 model is now under $4k,Philips should have a new model out soon ,decisions decisions :blink:

Can you please advise where you bought the unit Panasonic 42 p500a from

Sorry, I don't really want to be seen as promoting one store over another. I think these types of posts are only meant to be used as an aid in negotating a deal. Other people may be able to use a known price point, as I did, in achieving a better outcome.

I was asked who they were competing with, but I avoided the question. If they are serious about closing the sale they will continue to negotiate with you.

Just make sure you are comparing apples with apples. Make up your mind beforehand just what extras you want from them and research their prices and availability. I would not recommend starting negotiations on a large ticket item like this without establishing whether they had it in stock or would be ordering it in. A few weeks delay in this game could mean you lose bigtime in the final washup.

I don't think you can get warranty after the sale from third party suppliers. You will be stuck with extending the manufacturer's warrany and although it may be beyond reproach it was more than double the price in this case.

If the stores you are negotiating with are asking you to prove your starting price in some way, I would ask them disclose their actual buying price including any credits or benefit they obtain from the sale first. :blink:

Those stores who say "that's below our buying price" are either kidding you or are getting a different deal from the distributor. They should take that up with them, not you. :P

No matter how much they protest at having to negotiate a price with a customer, they will never let it walk out the door at a loss. In fact, the "beat any deal" I referred to in my original post has a rider in large letters as you enter the store. They reserve the right to NOT SELL below their invoiced cost.

Happy shopping!!

I notice a lot of you guys getting all excited about HDMI connections. This new connection has been implemented only for Digital content protection and is in no way superior to a DVI connection. And the actual connector is a lot more fragile as well as only being a friction fit as apposed to the good screw down contact of DVI.

And as for the convenience of taking digital sound and video in the one cable, means if you want to connect to your avreceiver then you have to have 2 HDMI cables. Or still use a seperate digital audio lead.

As I said at the start this all has to do with Digital Rights Management which is fine they have a right to protect interlectual property, but to proclaim it as some new technically superior connection is ludicrous. A step forward it is not.

Cheers

Michael

It's my understanding that there is actually no difference between HDMI and DVI, except HDMI includes connection for audio. The video is exactly the same (although the connector is smaller).

I think it's a moot point unless you want your audio to go through your display's speakers. If you want your audio through your amp, you still need a video cable to the HDMI and an audio signal to your amp. Unless your amp switches HDMI of course, but it's only teh high end ones that do that at the moment.

and how many of you plonking down this sort of money are happier knowing your new HD plasma will be able to play HDCP enabled HD movies when they come out next year? I know I would be :blink:

I'm in the market soon for a HD display, and it definitely will have to have HDMI for the only reason of digital content protection compatibility.

*walks back over to the couch to watch on 68cm 8yo Sony CRT*

:blink: I set my HD price at $3.500,won't be long now,maybe just after Xmas,now who's panel will it be??

If you are in Melbourne, try Newtone Hifi. Advertise the 42" for $3,445. I can only assume it is for the current HD model, as for anything else the price wold be a rip-off. I'm too scared to talk to them myself - the news might be too tempting.

can't find them in the online whitepages... its not newtone retravision now in Springvale?

I didn't want to make this an ad for this mob, but I guess they paid hard cash for their Greenguide ad so this is the pay back. They are listed as being in Footscray (96899511) and Springvale (9558 5888). In a more recent thread someone has already placed a call but the shop would not confirm model numbers. Suss! My concern is they are being used to shift left over old model stock, but stand to be proven wrong.