"Pana Paradise"

Hi,

I'm a newbie, so pls forgive me for any silly questions.

Anyway, reading these posts convinced me to buy a 42" HD Pana 500A. Could you happy pana owners pls give me a some ideas on which HD STB box I should get with this plasma & how much?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note that RRP from $5499 to $4999 effective today so street prices should move accordingly. My 42pv500a was delivered this morning. I am very pleased to have cancelled my Hitachi 42pd7800ta at the last moment due to supply issues. Let the good times roll on in Pana Paradise :blink:

Was at good guys today (picking up Toppy MPS, but that's another story) - 500a for $3999 on the ticket, and very ready to deal.

Love the Fuji, but starting to agree with salesperson - is it worth and extra $1000?

But am I the only one who hates the Pana bezel - Pana price and PQ with NEC bezel would be my pref.

Kent

Was at good guys today (picking up Toppy MPS, but that's another story) - 500a for $3999 on the ticket, and very ready to deal.

Love the Fuji, but starting to agree with salesperson - is it worth and extra $1000?

But am I the only one who hates the Pana bezel - Pana price and PQ with NEC bezel would be my pref.

Kent

the pana is absolutely incredible value at $3999 !

bloody amazing really keeping in mind the SD pana were ticked only a year or so ago for 4k. Now you can get a beaut HD plasma for the same money.

the bezel is a bit wide and theres slimemr out there but the pana does include the speakers so overall ends up slimmer if considering a plasma with speakers.

i picked up the DSE DTR 800 HD stb for $350 from Dick Smith..

works a treat. I believe it is a rebadged Homecast HT 5000 which sell for $453.

It has the ATI Xellion chip in the STB

for more info about the STB check

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=23152

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=23550

someone posted about a bad box.. i have mine for a week left on 24/7 and

no problem.. House, LO SVU and CSI miami looked stunning last week.

I was going to get the Strong 5400 but i think ill keep this one and save the extra

$250. I mean there is not a lot of HD content and this will keep me happy until

the HD pvrs come out

i picked up the DSE DTR 800 HD stb for $350 from Dick Smith..

works a treat. I believe it is a rebadged Homecast HT 5000 which sell for $453.

It has the ATI Xellion chip in the STB

for more info about the STB check

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=23152

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=23550

someone posted about a bad box.. i have mine for a week left on 24/7 and

no problem.. House, LO SVU and CSI miami looked stunning last week.

I was going to get the Strong 5400 but i think ill keep this one and save the extra

$250. I mean there is not a lot of HD content and this will keep me happy until

the HD pvrs come out

Pardon the ignorance but what is a PVR (something-video-recorder?)

Also, what is the going rate to have my 500A calibrated for optimum viewing?

Curious

I won the trip to england..

I think im still in shock a bit. I got the call at 5:50 yesterday arvo..

The only reason i filled in the form was to get a free bag and football

The guy sais they had 36 trips. Everybody who sent in the form went in a

draw with everyone else who bought on that date..

eg i bought my 50'' on Sat 17 Sep so i went in the 17th draw and the guy said

there were 70 other people for that day. If i had of known i would of bought on

Monday or Tuesday for better odds..

The Plane leaves 9th Nov. Match is on the 13th Nov.. Im getting a call from travel agent tomorrow re detail. Also won 2 Wallaby Jumpers and Panasonic digital camera (bottom or range).

Ill do a trip report for all you Pana guys

Bugger I think I bought mine too late and I've missed out on the Wallaby pack. Ah well...

Bigg - top news on winning the trip to England!

bugger times 2 , got my pack, the footys great, the cap and bag are pretty crappy, but beggers cant be chooser!

Have fun in sunny England not, ya lucky bastard!

Mc :ph34r:

Could someone please suggest a suitable wall bracket for the 42pv500a. I cannot fathom spending $800 for original Panasonic

Thanks for your help! :P

If you want to retain your factory warranty, you will need to use their bracket (annoying but true) :blink:

However they should be able to move on the price for you, I picked up mine for $650.

Cheers,

Curious

Could someone please suggest a suitable wall bracket for the 42pv500a. I cannot fathom spending $800 for original Panasonic

Thanks for your help! :blink:

I paid $350 for a generic bracket for the 42-THPA50A made by a company called Ultralift...

You could also try Howards Storage World, they have a range of options for hoisting, hanging and hinging all sorts of TVs.

Cheers

Berkmac

Does anyone have experience with the Vogel's EFW2001 and 42pv500a? Their website says they work well together, though i'd prefer real world experiences if possible

RRP is $439

My 500a is still sitting on a stand even though I've got nice cables trenched into the wall etc.... all because the generic bracket I got (which 3 different retravision stores said would be ok) didn't cater for the screens big bum (not sure how else to describe it).

the guy doing my install (Sydney) seems quite professional and is organising a different bracket for me ... I'll advise when installed. PM me if you want more details

So, I've had my beloved Pana now for 2 weeks and it's time to play...moo ha ha :P

Does anyone have any experience playing with the Video Enhancement Settings?

Is it just the stuff in the regular settings area (contrast/brightness etc) or is there more to access?

If so can they give me a brief 'how to' so I can play this weekend? :blink:

Curious

CTON,

I bought the LG LST-5100P HD STB. It works fab. No problems whatsoever and up and running in 5min.

Elsewhere on the forum, people have done STB shoot-outs and have come up with AUSID (esp for those with a Fujitsu - none of us obviously), and Strong 5400 as good performers.

I had a look at Humax 7000, and Thompson and Toshiba (SD-25 as well as HDD-J35).

Settled for the LG as Toshiba is superb but a lemon. Thompson and LG were pretty close in PQ (LG cheaper), and Humax was attached to a poor panel and the sales staff were unhelpful so I walked out.

Try the LG, more stores let you take them back if not happy. I am actually waiting for the Topfield 7000 HD STB with PVR. Will then give the LG to my dad who also joined Pana Paradise last week (like me).

Cheers!

Oops.

Forgot to give you prices. I bought the LG for $450 from DJ's. Have since found out people are picking them up from JB's for $400.

If you choose Humax, again should be able to get one for $400 (twist arms).

Strong is around the $500 mark after twisting arms.

Toshiba HDD-J35 retails for $1,599 but you can get them for at least $100 less. Surprised they don't discount heavily. It has so much bad publicity. Though its up to v71 firmware which the users on this forum reckon has got rid of most of the bugs.

Ty.

Guest peterpen

Just purchased the Panasonic 42PV500A for $3680 from a store in Brisbane (Sorry I cant say were) but if you push hard enough they can come to that price.

I think this is a awsome deal for a HD televison. I was going to buy the Fujitsu but it wasnt worth an additional $1500. (Not in my eyes- personally the pana looked better to me - and that is all that matters at the end of the day)

I also purchased an additional 4 yr warranty that brought the unit up to $4100 which gives me 5 years of no headaches.

4.1 K for a HD plasma tele and 5 years of warrantly makes even the pioneer look sick.

I also puchased the LG5100 HDSTB- Hopefully it is a good choice - time will tell paid $435

Should have it delivered early next week - cant wait :blink: