"Pana Paradise"

So colour didn't really matter I guess and you would have got the grey I assume? Would make sense. You should have asked for the flame spec ones which are fireproof being so close to the plasma.

Quote:

The standard FONIC range has been tested and passed the following flamability standard.

BS5852 - 1990 (section 4 12.2) British flammability standard.

Smouldering cigarette test: Ignition Source 0

Assessment of ignitability by smouldering ignition source

I have also thought of covering them will a fire resistant fabric rather than you std felt.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

The standard FONIC range has been tested and passed the following flamability standard.

BS5852 - 1990 (section 4 12.2) British flammability standard.

Smouldering cigarette test: Ignition Source 0

Assessment of ignitability by smouldering ignition source

I have also thought of covering them will a fire resistant fabric rather than you std felt.

yes thats the std level... they have a higher level which resists naked flame.

yes thats the std level... they have a higher level which resists naked flame.

Got out the black felt and 2 matches. Mostly it just melted. After 5-6 seconds with a good flame it caught a little. Not much though.

I can't see a consistent flame coming from the plasma. A spark yes. Smoke yes but burning flame. Doubt it.

Ah, Phreek these guys from the pana clug aren't going to like the buzz club for hijacking the thread.

You should be excited mate, the picture quality when I watch 1080i from the HD STB is literally like looking at a picture or through a window. It is absolutely flawless! Good Standard Def source material like DVDs also look incredibly crisp and yet not jagged or harsh. It reminds me of a beautiful big-screen CRT without the visible scanlines or screendooring :blink:

As for the buzz, I did notice it today when the room was dead quiet and with the sound switched off. It seems to peak with bright scenes and dull with dark scenes, so it is the transformers.

However at any other time with even a slight volume and/or any ambient noise the buzz is not perceptible. I can comfortably live with that - not an issue for me. I do feel sorry for those who do feel this is a major issue, it's always hard when something sours an otherwise good viewing experience.

You should be excited mate, the picture quality when I watch 1080i from the HD STB is literally like looking at a picture or through a window. It is absolutely flawless! Good Standard Def source material like DVDs also look incredibly crisp and yet not jagged or harsh. It reminds me of a beautiful big-screen CRT without the visible scanlines or screendooring :blink:

As for the buzz, I did notice it today when the room was dead quiet and with the sound switched off. It seems to peak with bright scenes and dull with dark scenes, so it is the transformers.

However at any other time with even a slight volume and/or any ambient noise the buzz is not perceptible. I can comfortably live with that - not an issue for me. I do feel sorry for those who do feel this is a major issue, it's always hard when something sours an otherwise good viewing experience.

How true, bright to dark screen, makes it louder,

i'll live with it too!

"I love my Pana" :ph34r:

Funny thing is, late last night in almost total silence, I muted the volume and I couldn't hear anything at all. Only a slight sound from the fan, but no buzzing. Maybe it depends on how hot the set gets?

Anyway let's not let the pana thread get hijacked by the buzzers :blink: I had another thread talking about calibration advice, maybe we could share calibrated settings in this thread?

QT007,

Can you possibly tell me where you got this set for this price.

I'm going to get this baby and was looking to see who is offering the best deal.

thanks.

Bought fom Domayne, Canberra. (yes Canberra, where prices never seem very competitive)

I got quotes from Havey Norman and Bing Lee. I probably could have got it a bit cheaper but I couldn't be bothered running around too much. In the end I thought it was a fair price and didn't chase another price from good guys etc. Turned out well in the end because I got the $400 caltex vouchers from Domayne which I didn't realise at the time of purchase.

If you want extended warranty I suggest negotiating on a package price. Don't agree on a panel price and then let them whack on a full priced extended warranty. Realistically you could start at $5600 for panel only or $5800 with extended warranty.

On the buzz issue- I can can hear a slight whirr or buzz when my head is behind the panel and within a few inches. My Toppy hard disc and light dimmer switch make more noise than the PV500A. A real non-issue for me.

Still very happy with the purchase. If a fujitsu is more than 5-10% better I would be very surprised.

Cheers

George

Bought fom Domayne, Canberra. (yes Canberra, where prices never seem very competitive)
Wow. I've bought furniture from Domayne canberra, but I've never given their hifi gear a second look because I always thought it was inflated beyond even Harvey Norman prices. You got a good deal!

BTW, I've got into the Service Menu 1 on my set, but I can't get into Service Menu 2 for the life of me, either by following the instructions here or here. Anyone have any tips for getting it to work on the PV500?

I have just purchased the new 42 HD Pana and I am very happy with the purchase. Thanks to all the information in this forum helped me come to my decision.

The problem that I am finding hard to overcome or find a solution to is the restriction of one HDMI input. I currently have the LG STB with a DVI to HDMI cable using the input. I want to buy a DVD player with HDMI upcaling but have no more inputs.

I am sure that a lot of people have this same problem, does anyone have an easy solution? I thought that there may have been a 1 to 2 HDMI cable adapter but this does not seem to be the case.

I have just purchased the new 42 HD Pana and I am very happy with the purchase. Thanks to all the information in this forum helped me come to my decision.

The problem that I am finding hard to overcome or find a solution to is the restriction of one HDMI input. I currently have the LG STB with a DVI to HDMI cable using the input. I want to buy a DVD player with HDMI upcaling but have no more inputs.

I am sure that a lot of people have this same problem, does anyone have an easy solution? I thought that there may have been a 1 to 2 HDMI cable adapter but this does not seem to be the case.

Easy, sure. http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/hdmi-2x1-switch.htm

I gather you don't want to pay anything though. :blink:

Rowey_X,

Best and cheapest option is to choose which will benefit the most from the digital connection, DVD player or STB. My opinion would be to use the HDMI for the DVD player if you are getting one that upscales.

Best see first how your STB goes using both options before getting the DVD player.

Other choices such as scalers or switchers (from o/s) would be unnecessarily expensive IMO.

Many amps will be coming over the next year with HDMI inputs that should be able to solve this problem

New Yamaha amps, with I believe 2 HDMI inputs are arriving soon (how soon I don’t know) should be able to do the job

No TV that I am aware of in this country ATM has 2 HDMIs.

This is true, but a few such as the Hitachi and the Fujitsu have HDMI and DVI.

If you haven't yet bought your DVD player, I would just make sure that I bought one with good quality component output. This would be your least expensive option until the HDMI switching stuff becomes more affordable.

This is true, but a few such as the Hitachi and the Fujitsu have HDMI and DVI.

If you haven't yet bought your DVD player, I would just make sure that I bought one with good quality component output. This would be your least expensive option until the HDMI switching stuff becomes more affordable.

So, would it then be possible, for example, to connect the following:

a - DVD player to Fuji 50" via HDMI

b - PVR (Brand I haven't decided on) to Fuji 50" via DVI.

I know "a" is possible, but I am not sure about "b" because of the HDCP (or whatever) of the DVI port.

Can anyone answer this?

Thanks.

a -  DVD player to Fuji 50" via HDMI

b  - PVR (Brand I haven't decided on) to Fuji 50" via DVI.

I know "a" is possible, but I am not sure about "b" because of the HDCP (or whatever) of the DVI port.

Can anyone answer this?

Thanks.

"b" is possible if the PVR (or any source device) is not HDCP compliant.

There is no reason for a STB or PVR to be HDCP compliant, and there has been some discussion on the Toshiba J35 threads about asking Toshiba/Castel to remove this setting.

I used to run the Teac DV-B800 STB via DVI into my Fujitsu, and the Pioneer 969 DVD player via HDMI.

There is no reason for a STB or PVR to be HDCP compliant, and there has been some discussion on the Toshiba J35 threads about asking Toshiba/Castel to remove this setting.

I used to run the Teac DV-B800 STB via DVI into my Fujitsu, and the Pioneer 969 DVD player via HDMI.

Thanks Foghorn.

Rowey_X,

Best and cheapest option is to choose which will benefit the most from the digital connection, DVD player or STB. My opinion would be to use the HDMI for the DVD player if you are getting one that upscales.

Best see first how your STB goes using both options before getting the DVD player.

Other choices such as scalers or switchers (from o/s) would be unnecessarily expensive IMO. 

Many amps will be coming over the next year with HDMI inputs that should be able to solve this problem

New Yamaha amps, with I believe 2 HDMI inputs are arriving soon (how soon I don’t know) should be able to do the job

I believe the upcoming pio plamsa's will have 2 hdmi's.

Foggy, since the dvi reports 60hz even though your stb may say 50, is this a problem?

I thought it would be shinrai, but I didn't notice any juddering. I asked glenncol to confirm this too with his LG STB and he didn't have any judder via the supposedly 60Hz DVI input.

The processing of the fuji makes the diff here. There is clearly a difference in smoothness between the 50" pio model i had and the fuji.

Even running movies at 60hz through my pc reduced the judder on the fuji more than the pioneer. Excatlt same software. Don't get me wrong, the judder is still there for pal on the htpc at 60hz but reduced.

a -  DVD player to Fuji 50" via HDMI

b  - PVR (Brand I haven't decided on) to Fuji 50" via DVI.

Can anyone answer this?

Thanks.

Better check out this post right now

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...ndpost&p=264128

:blink: I should be a footy commentator.... as soon as I say the Fuji can do it, they pull it from the market! :P

...and the Hitachi 7800TA is also being run out in favour of a new cheaper model which I believe is also lacking the DVI input.