Soniq 106CM Plasma

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Price is $1,998

Specs were a bit short in the add and didn't have a brochure although 10,000:1 contrast, lots of connection options (including DVI, 2 scart ports).

As mentioned uses a Samsumg tuner.  JB say RRP $2,998 although they were doing them for $2,398 last week looking at the sign.

Might have to go and have a look... another option with the DSE Trio Panel...

Ok I am actually writing this using my Ibook hooked up the Plasma.

So far so good, picture quality has been good through Foxtel and DVD. Very easy to set up (although I forget to connect the speakers at the back so no sound at first).

Seemed to moving a lot of them at JB today.

After I bought it the guy was saying that the Samsung Tuner was actually the latest one, which Samsung are about to start using (so may explain the $2,000 Samsung Plasma before Xmas rumour).

Will keep you posted if we have any issues.

Ok I am actually writing this using my Ibook hooked up the Plasma.

So far so good, picture quality has been good through Foxtel and DVD.  Very easy to set up (although I forget to connect the speakers at the back so no sound at first).

Seemed to moving a lot of them at JB today.

After I bought it the guy was saying that the Samsung Tuner was actually the latest one, which Samsung are about to start using (so may explain the $2,000 Samsung Plasma before Xmas rumour).

Will keep you posted if we have any issues.

Hi there,

Could you post any specs of this unit please?

Had a look at one of these at JB HiFi $1998

Sticker on the back said Samsung panel.

This is an SD panel 852x480 - but will accept HD signals.

It had DVI, VGA, 2xcomponent, RCA, S-video & 2 scarts.

(not sure whats available through scarts)

It was playing a THX DVD loop Star Wars I & Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Considering the really bright environment it was setup (under tons of flouro lights)

I thought the fast action scenes were handled really well.

Looked like a nice unit.

Speakers on either side are NOT detachable.

Saw the Sonic plasma this morning. Seemed to have a very good picture for the price!

BUT there is a down side - and it's not the plasma - it's the service.

Be careful. I paid for my Soniq plasma yesterday and when I went to pick it up, the guy at JB said it was accidentally sold to someone else. HOW COULD THEY STUFF THAT UP? Anyway, I don't blame them inidividually, but JB management in general. JB are always understaffed, overworked and running around like headless chooks! If you have the cash for the unit, buy it there and then. Don't order it because you may have to wait longer than you thought.

But they will do 6 months interest free which sold us over. When you work out the figures, we worked out that over 5 years the unit with a set top box, 5 year warranty and cables came to under $9.80 a week. That is cheap entertainment in my money!

GO FOR IT! THEY WILL SELL OUT THIS WEEK

I bought one of these at JB today. Won't get it delivered till the weekend, but generally speaking when I had a look at the image quality alongside the other standard SD panels, this baby was at least an equal. It was uncalibrated, but hooked up via component to an HD STB playing the 10 HD loop.

Beat LG SD image quality, matched Samsung and Hitachi and was bested by NEC slightly. Of course this is all subjective, but I have some idea what to look for.

I also bought the 5 year warranty for $330, so I don't see the downside of what is basically a samsung panel plasma with all the required inputs (incl. DVI but not HDMI) for around $2K. By the time HD source becomes common on DVDs (HDDVD/BluRay) and HD Tv resolution increases, I'll simply buy a new LCD HD or SED panel.

If you believe the www.overclockers.com forums it's much better than the trio.

hmmm

I played with both and IMOP the Trio wins hands down on PQ. The Sonic has no blacks. its grey city man!. Seemed odd cause of the 10,000:1 CR. Maybe Maquarie have a bad one but no amount of adjustment could get a great picture. Certainly nothing like the 10,000:1 SD LG up the back of the shop (my pick for best blacks anyway)

I did like the black frame and the screendoor on the Sonic was much better than the trio.

all my views. take it with a grain of sand and go see for yourself!

:blink:

Just bought this TV on the weekend from JB , very pleased with it for the price.

One problem I have is that the remote controls (2 of them) just don't work very well. One minute it works the next is doesn't seem to . You can walk up close to the panel and still no good. The manual says they might not work around bright lights etc , which shouldn't be an issue in my opinion, I have never know remotes not work because of that. My living room is not bright.

Anyway I want to use my home theatre remote control .

Does anybody know what the 4 digit manufacturer code for Soniq TV's is so I can program my remote. Have searched the web . Also tried all the Samsung codes in my Yamaha manual but no luck. Maybe it is the TV sensor rather than the remote.

Any advice ???

Jon

I'd love to know how they decided that ?

I played with both and IMOP the Trio wins hands down on PQ. The Sonic has no blacks. its grey city man!. Seemed odd cause of the 10,000:1 CR. Maybe Maquarie have a bad one but no amount of adjustment could get a great picture.  Certainly nothing like the 10,000:1 SD LG up the back of the shop (my pick for best blacks anyway)

I did like the black frame and the screendoor on the Sonic was much better than the trio.

all my views. take it with a grain of sand and go see for yourself!

:blink:

Hey mybrains - love your work!

It's worth a trip over to the pc overclockers forum to have a look at the soniq threads. Clearly, the soniq is a quality television when set up properly. As with all no-names, the potential downside of course will be reliability. I must say I haven't seen the a DSE trio myself but there's enough in the trio threads in this forum and enough on the soniq in a variety of forums to sway me towards the soniq.

Had a very careful look at the range of HD and SD screens at JB last night and the soniq was the equal of most of them. Running over component and tweaked a bit the picture was good enough for me to order a couple (at that price, why not?).

Didn't run with the 5 year warranty because I figure that if anything is gonna go, it will happen sooner rather than later. If either of the screens does decide to crap out on me after the one year warranty is over, then I guess it will be interesting to see whether the cost of repair will be more than the $500 cost of the long term warranty but hey, I probably shouldn't be going there yet!!

I played with both and IMOP the Trio wins hands down on PQ. The Sonic has no blacks. its grey city man!. Seemed odd cause of the 10,000:1 CR. Maybe Maquarie have a bad one but no amount of adjustment could get a great picture.  Certainly nothing like the 10,000:1 SD LG up the back of the shop (my pick for best blacks anyway)

While I haven't seen the Trio I also thought the 42" Soniq had very poor contrast and black levels. I'm not sure how well it was calibrated or whether it was connected via composite but I certainly wouldn't have bought the TV with that demo.

BTW, I saw it at JB-Hifi Modbury, SA.

While I haven't seen the Trio I also thought the 42" Soniq had very poor contrast and black levels. I'm not sure how well it was calibrated or whether it was connected via composite but I certainly wouldn't have bought the TV with that demo. 

BTW, I saw it at JB-Hifi Modbury, SA.

Not sure how you can increase the black. Most shops have default settings which is 100% contrast.

On a plasma I normally set the brightness to 50% and contrast to 100%, and then up the saturation just past 50 to about 60%. This works a treat on the factory Trio (default all 50%)

When I tried this on the sonic plasma I found 100% contrast made the image go oversharp looking, so i backed it to 85% and lowered the brightness below 50% but it all went dark.

Mind u I was doing this bent over cause the friggin sales guy gave me the BS about the remote being 'out the back'. I should have told him i'd buy one, and once he had written up the sales docket, i could say "sorry, i left my wallet /out the back/" lol

The overclockers forum requires membership, so if u could paste a few choice morsels about how they set them up, the guys here would be much obliged :blink:

PS dont get me wrong. I dont work for DSE. I'd happly reverse my view if I could get the sonic to look better. I did appreciate its black case (I have a thing for black cases. silver however - eek)