Collecting early production CD's - my perspective and some photos.

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/11/2019 at 5:17 PM, Craigandkim said:

Been looking for I'm Talking for quite a while + also picked up Danced on Fire

im talking.jpg

oneill_danced.jpg

man I sure had the hots for her back in the day

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 29/08/2009 at 6:11 AM, Chickenism said:

Hi Mondie,

Like you, I was an early adopter (at about the same age :)) I'd weasled my way into a part-time job at the local hifi store so ended up with a first-gen Technics player (I still have it) and heaps of CD's.

Seeing those pics brings back memories; I had all the Dire Straits orange swirls (plus the Brothers in Arms) and many of the targets as well. Plus The Wall, and various other CBS and Mercury releases. Seems we had similar tastes back then :P

Unfortunately a procession of share houses, live-in girlfriends and house moves meant that most of them have disappeared over the years.

The ones that have survived are holding up well; one in particular, Christopher Cross (self-titled) is still one of the best-sounding CD's I own. It's a target copy. Fleetwood Mac's 'Mirage' and 'Tango in the Night' sound great as well.

I've managed to replace just about all the ones that had been lost; in some cases I've bought the XRCD or Mobile Fidelity versions, which are fine. But some are 'remasters', like most of my Dire Straits, which have proven to be disappointing SQ-wise.

Looks like I have some ebaying to do...:D

It pais to go to the St. Vincent de Paul and other like minded stores as they get the older CD's that people discard and for $2 a CD it is worth the sit down and go through the stacks! amazing what is lurking in amid these piles!

I was made aware some time ago about the differences of CD's and remember when this came out! We had in Perth cetral (Haystreet) a sony? shop that would not let you listen to a CD player unless You had the funds to buy it ($1000)! Have a Marantz CD60 with the Phillips DAC in it (very early Version) that has massive side  steel plates with wood cladded side boards on it to make it feel expensive!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everybody!

I'm new to sna and wanted to introduce myself to early CD collectors. I found this place via a google search and noticed that my Web Site was mentioned a few times. That got my ears burning, and thought I'd check it out. As you might surmise from my handle, I own targetcd.com. Thanks for all the nice comments and compliments! I apologize for the periods that the Site disappeared, and the times that many of the pictured stopped working. I know that caused some grief for many people. I have had some health issues that have spilled over and caused me financial issues and one thing led to another and my Site went down. In 2011, I went into congestive heart failure that led to a long hospital stay, culminating in open heart surgery. It took several years for me to get back working on the Site again regularly. And after several more years of scanning and writing new descriptions of every title I got it back to where it was in 2014. Then I was struck by a vehicle while in a crosswalk and was badly injured. And as you can imagine, my work on targetcd.com came to a grinding halt! In the last few months, those of you that haven't given up on me may have noticed that I have been adding new titles, and have even started adding non-target CD's issued contemporary to the target discs. So now I am complete (target-wise) as far as discs that I own or have been able to get scans from other collectors. My next project is to fill in the titles that have been recently discovered and find pictures to display.

I not only collect target CD's! I also collect all CD's from the 1982 to 1987 era, as well as select discs up to about 1990 or so. I also collect promotional discs, but that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish! I have been catching up on this thread, the last few days, and have enjoyed viewing some of your collections. Some of you have some great stuff! Maybe I can show off some of mine one of these days. I see old Steve Hoffman Forum friends dcathro and button are here. Hi guys! Well, I have to log out now. I hope some of you are still paying attention to this thread and will keep it alive!

Later, Ralph

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey! Where is everybody? Nobody wants to talk old CD's any more? Nobody has any new finds to show off? My post received two likes so somebody read it! Thanks Darryl and honreekea. I want to read more about early pressings for the Australian market. From this thread, I have already learned a lot about Japan-for-Oz and WG-for-Oz pressings and have expanded my wantlist. I already have quite a few such early pressings. I have four Japanese Albert AC/DC discs, and two Paul Kelly J4Oz, plus U2 The Joshua Tree, and some others. I have one that I don't think anybody has mentioned yet. I have Icehouse - Primitive Man US4Oz Laservideo pressing. Before all my health issues sidelined me, I drove to Los Angeles about once a week, and rummaged through the used bins of some of the huge record stores there. You never know what you'll find!

Before I read this thread I never heard of Cold Chisel, which seems to have released quite a few albums. What kind of music are they?

I have been rummaging through some of my CD boxes, searching for non-target discs to add to my target listings. Just today, I added pictures to Van Halen 1984 and Wang Chung. Anyway, I am going to try to post a few pictures here if I can figure out how to do it. First I'll post Ten Years After's first self-titled LP, West German pressing. If this works, I'll try some more.

TYA1WGPD.JPG

TYA1FC.JPG

TYA1WGB.JPG

Edited by targetcd.com
typo!
  • Like 2

Well, that turned out pretty well! Next I'll try some Taste, Rory Gallaghers's group, before he went solo. These are also West German pressings. Right now I have boxes in front of me with artists spanning the letters S through W. Is there anything anybody wants to see? Speak now before I put these boxes away and pull down something else!

How do I edit a post? I made a small booboo above and I'd like to correct it so I don't appear illiterate.

I have thousands of old CD's to trade for old CD's that I don't have, especially Australian CD's made in Japan or West Germany. Anybody interested in trading?

TASBDFC.JPG

TASBDWGD.JPG

TASBDWGB.JPG

TASIWFC.JPG

TASIWWGD.JPG

TASIWWGB.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Or maybe you'll like some T. Rex. Here are two early releases of Cosmic Dancer. Both were manufactured in West Germany. The one on Teldec was made by P+O - Pallas for the German market, but I believe it was distributed in much of Europe. Mega Records was (is?) a Danish company and that one was made by Sonopress, probably aimed for the Scandinavian market.

I'm still looking for some traders. I have a LOT of old CD's for trade. If you don't have any CD's to trade, I'm also looking for Phantom comics (Australian, New Zealand, Singapore, or anywhere else but the USA) and cartoon drinking glasses, such as Monkeys of Melbourne and Nutella with cartoon characters on them.

TREXCDTF.JPG

TREXCDTD.JPG

TREXCDTB.JPG

TREXCDMF.JPG

TREXCDMG.JPG

TREXCDMB.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks @targetcd.com for the updates.

I have frequented your site many tiomes over the years, mostly to great disappointment when I learn that a target CD I've found is generally one of the common variants rather than a rare pressing ?  

I haven't been trawling through the CD stores much this year because of Covid etc, so there's not much opportunity for me to provide updates here.

--Geoff

Edited by hired goon
  • Like 1

I've mentioned it before but slim pickings around my parts.

On top of that I've been downsizing my CD collection so haven't been buying much. I donated a bunch of CDs to a local charity store recently, including some targets. I held on to my favourites though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wouldn't you know it! As soon as I finally get some replies, my computer exploded! No kidding. Motherboard and power supply, both toast! My hard drive is corrupted but partly recoverable. All my settings, passwords, bookmarks, all gone. Most of my software no longer works. Now I'm getting used to new OS, new software, new keyboard, new mouse. Sigh! When I'm a bit more comfortable, I'll jump back into this conversation.

Take care!

Ralph

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/12/2020 at 4:02 PM, hired goon said:

Thanks @targetcd.com for the updates.

I have frequented your site many times over the years, mostly to great disappointment when I learn that a target CD I've found is generally one of the common variants rather than a rare pressing ?  

Geoff, keep on trying! One of these days, you'll find something remarkable!

On 16/12/2020 at 4:02 PM, hired goon said:

I haven't been trawling through the CD stores much this year because of Covid etc, so there's not much opportunity for me to provide updates here.

Well, I can certainly understand that! I have only been to the local record stores and charity shops (we call them thrift stores here) since I got out of the hospital. Many of the record stores in Los Angeles are closed due to COVID restrictions, I hear. I'm about 60 miles northwest of L. A.  Anyway, I have found quite a few old scarce CD's when I've been able to shop. Lots of people are dumping their CD collections.

I'm still getting familiar with my new scanning software. I'm going to attempt to see if I'm on the right track by showing off this scarce West German Roadrunner pressing of Twisted Sister's Under the Blade CD.

Hmm... I can only get the front cover to upload. Back to the drawing board! The cover was scanned before the computer meltdown. The disc and back cover were scanned yesterday. I'm doing something wrong!

Ralph

TWISUBFC.JPG

• Like 1

I was getting ready to add this beauty to my Site, and thought I'd give a preview here.

The Who - It's Hard

Polydor 800 106

"Made in West Germany"

Matrix: 800106 2 02

"Printed in West Germany by / Imprimé en Allemagne par Neef, Wittengen · Made in West Germany"

on page 12 (of 12) of the booklet, and also on the rear insert.

"CD is manufactured by PolyGram in Hanover, West Germany" on the rear insert.

"800 106-2" is printed on the reverse. Barcode on the obverse.

Frosted smooth-top two-dimple jewel case with "12" embossed on one tab, and on the back portion,

inside bottom center. Eight-prong disc tray embossed "Patents pending" and "11" in a circle.

The original price tag from "The Compact Disc Centre" is still affixed to the back of the case.

$22.00 !!

Ralph

whohard_800_bc.jpg

whohard800d.jpg

whohard_800f.jpg

• Like 2

On 18/12/2020 at 6:07 PM, Darryl said:

I've mentioned it before but slim pickings around my parts.

On top of that I've been downsizing my CD collection so haven't been buying much. I donated a bunch of CDs to a local charity store recently, including some targets. I held on to my favourites though.

Darryl, I sure hope you didn't give away any old Japan (or WG)-for-Australia discs! I'd be glad to buy them from you. Or trade something. They don't pop up very often in California. But they do once in a while. The other day, I ran across my copy of Olivia Newton-John Soul Kiss on Festival, made in Japan., which I found a few years ago.

From reading the rules, I gather I'm not allowed to use the Classifieds here. ☹️ If I could post a want ad, maybe I could trade for some Australian CD's. Oh well! So it goes.

Ralph

On 10/01/2021 at 5:15 AM, targetcd.com said:

Geoff, keep on trying! One of these days, you'll find something remarkable!

Well, I can certainly understand that! I have only been to the local record stores and charity shops (we call them thrift stores here) since I got out of the hospital. Many of the record stores in Los Angeles are closed due to COVID restrictions, I hear. I'm about 60 miles northwest of L. A.  Anyway, I have found quite a few old scarce CD's when I've been able to shop.

I'll keep trying when I can, but it's much harder to find rare CDs in Australia than in the USA. I lived in Salt Lake City for a couple of years and would find targets and japan CDs quite regularly, but over here ... not so much.

--Geoff 

• Like 1