Collecting early production CD's - my perspective and some photos.

1 hour ago, colinm1 said:

ah, don't buy too much these days but when I do I try to hang out for the early pressing ,or the better more sort after mix,

I also got a 4 cd set of Chicago called

group portrait 

got nice booklet with early history ect,

said to be the best remasters of the songs contained,

a best of that spans most the early stuff, most do not go near the later rhino pressings ,

and you ?

So I found Love An Adventure - just recently as above scan shows, also came across Mondo Rock Up to the Moment (West German) and Chemistry (Japan) this now makes around 37-39 early Aussie albums pressed in either West Germany or Japan. Still after most of AC/DC, Rose Tattoo, 1x Divinyls, 1 x Angels, 1x Dragon, 1x Paul Kelly and a few others.

The thrill of the chase keeps me going!! 

I found some target CDs today (Van Morrison -  Moondance, Rod Stewart - Body Wishes, Rod Stewart - Atlantic Crossing) but these appear to be ex-ABC radio stock as someone has written "ABC Q" on the CDs in permanent marker :angry2:

Got 'em for $1 each just for a listen. It's a shame that they have been defaced. Someone has tried to remove the permanent marker on the Atlantic Crossing CD and rubbed off some of the paintwork in the process.

--Geoff 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Found these in the $1 racks today:

20190614_172121-02.jpeg.7981029b49cd11eddf3fee047729834e.jpeg

Vangelis - Chariots Of Fire -- Polydor red face, West Germany 

Andrew Parrot, Taverner Consort - Bach: Mass In B Minor -- Toshiba black triangle, Japan, 2xCD fatboy

--Geoff 

• Like 2

Some $2.50 pick-ups from the book fair today:

20190615_203051-01.jpeg.2e5b3ad578a6e01c9e8b1cd5a894c654.jpeg

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Best Of -- target, West Germany

David Bowie - Station To Station -- RCA, Japan

Lou Reed - Berlin -- RCA, Japan

10cc - Greatest Hits-- atomic, West Germany 

Elton John - Captain Fantastic -- DJM, West Germany 

Elton John - Greatest Hits -- DJM, West Germany 

--Geoff 

Edited by hired goon
  • Like 4

Its just two months off ten years since I started this thread and I have finally completed my AC/DC Japan for Oz first pressings set. The last couple took an age to track down but finally the last peice of the jigsaw, A flick of the switch, is now mine and the set of twelve is now complete.

48073182302_7813552820_b.jpgFlick by Simon Gee, on Flickr

Edited by mondie
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, mondie said:

Its just two months off ten years since I started this thread and I have finally completed my AC/DC Japan for Oz first pressings set. The last couple took an age to track down but finally the last peice of the jigsaw, A flick of the switch, is now mine and the set of eleven is complete.

Onya, Mondie.

I have not yet found any AC/DC Japan for Oz CDs in the wild, lo these many years. But I live in hope.

--Geoff 

• Like 2

There was sombody who posted in this thread quite early on who found two on the same day! Not seen any other reports since, they must have been made in pretty small numbers for you to have not stumbled onto one in all your CD searching Geoff.

Edit: and I see Craig found one in the post at the top of this page :)

Edited by mondie

I found 4 ACca Daccas at once in a local garage sale a few months back - but the seller had been on Discogs and decided they were all $60 each (even though in pretty terrible, scratched up, well-played condition).

Left 'em...

• Like 1

Many people fail to appreciate the sharp difference in value based on condition, this is apparent in many record stores overpricing used vinyl from sought after artists in tatty condition. If they were heavily scratched $60ea would have been possibly too much especially from a private seller at a garage sale. I am chasing down the Albert first pressing records I dont have from AC/DC's Bon days, the price variance on these can be 5-10 fold depending on condition. Near Mint are rare and valuable, and probably better than money in the bank with the bonus that they sound fantastic.

Walking into  record store these days is like walking into a used car yard......shysters!

Edited by kab

Wot I got from a quick ninja to the book fair during me lunch break:

20190620_201014-01.jpeg.1e52e3ff1ca136681490de9b5c400cf4.jpeg

Steely Dan - Aja -- MCA, made in Japan, smooth case, no barcode, check the weird hub in the middle.

Rickie Lee Jones - Pirates -- Warner Bros, West Germany, Target.

--Geoff 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Craigandkim said:

Hows it sound? I have the Japan SACD which is insanely good considering the age of the recording.

Sounds great it has the 32 8P matrix.