Soniq 32" LCD @ JB HIFI (8ms Resp.)

I just bought one of these on the weekend, ticket price is $1,999 but they will do better...

Bloody nice LCD, very crisp clear picture when side by side with the much more expensive name brand panels... It has DVI input (I also got a hotchip HD STB)...

Apparently the panel comes from Samsung... Regardless I am very happy with the picture quality, and it has a pretty nice black finish/frame (I hate silver)...

Just thought I would pop on some feedback as I only purchased the hotchips based on the feedback on here, which is appreciated ;-)

(EDIT corrected source is Samsung not LG)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is a chance it is actually 16ms and not 8ms, as some manufacturers make false claims about the true response times

You could be right, I guess?

I have no real way of knowing myself, other than I don't see any smearing on panning (watching footy yesterday) as reported on the AWA screen...

It is defnately a different panel to the AWA as it is 1280x1024

The panel is actually a Samsung unit. But I still can't work out why the supplier ships it with 2 remote controls that are identcal! But it is a great panel and a 1080I input is displayed smoothly on this unit, as to which I believe, e AWA has a few issues with this input resolution.

The panel is actually a Samsung unit. But I still can't work out why the supplier ships it with 2 remote controls that are identcal! But it is a great panel and a 1080I input is displayed smoothly on this unit, as to which I believe, e AWA has a few issues with this input resolution.

Ahh OK thanks re the samsung details the sales rep was probably wrong doesn't surprise me...

Yeah the extra remote is weird to say the least...

A question if you have this unit too and seem to know more than me about it --- For 1080i do you use the DVI input? I connected the DVI from my hotchip 4000HD tonight and I can only output in 720p, if I set the hotchip STB to 1080 or even 576 the screen just goes black, works fine obviously at 720p, is this a limitation on the DVI input it only accepts 1280x720 ?

Ahh OK thanks re the samsung details the sales rep was probably wrong doesn't surprise me...

A question if you have this unit too and seem to know more than me about it --- For 1080i do you use the DVI input? I connected the DVI from my hotchip 4000HD tonight and I can only output in 720p, if I set the hotchip STB to 1080 or even 576 the screen just goes black, works fine obviously at 720p, is this a limitation on the DVI input it only accepts 1280x720 ?

sorry, via component. I will try DVI on Wednesday.

just a question joele, did they have a larger unit in stock or coming (ie 37 or 40"?)

You want LCD not Plasma? they had a Soniq 42" Plasma ($1,995), in larger LCDs that weren't expensive name brands, I think they had a 37" LCD that was branded as a ViewPia it was also 8ms I am pretty sure, the res I think was 1366x768 and the marked price was $2,995

You want LCD not Plasma? they had a Soniq 42" Plasma ($1,995), in larger LCDs that weren't expensive name brands, I think they had a 37" LCD that was branded as a ViewPia it was also 8ms I am pretty sure, the res I think was 1366x768 and the marked price was $2,995

thanks. yeah i was curious if they were getting a bigger soniq (37 or 40) in LCD with same or higher res samsung panels..... Samsung panels are the bomb IMOP.

Seems the PC LCD monitor market agree. Currently they are all barring up over a 19" lcd called the Samsung 193b+ 1000:1 CR *WITHOUT* Dynamic Contrast

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=911752

and drooling over the CR on the newly announced samsung 750P at *1500:1* & 6ms response (19")

http://www.behardware.com/html/news/?date=10-03-2005#7354

you can be sure this tech finds its way into their larger tellys....

Sounds like it will only do 50Hz via 720p.... Which is common for computer monitor type first gen LCD's.

Sounds like it will only do 50Hz via 720p.... Which is common for computer monitor type first gen LCD's.

OK thanks, I will just point out for others it accepted 576, 720 or 1080 via the component input it is just the DVI input (at least on mine, waiting on confirmation from ddarby) that only accepts 720p

Is there a website for Soniq, or anywhere where one can find the full specs of this beast? Also what warranty does she come with? Sounds pretty good all round though.

Grant

I can't find a website for them, and only JB seem to have them, maybe a rebadge just for them?

Anyway I did manage to get a spec sheet and ddarby was right it is a Samsung panel not LG...

Model no.: LWD320

Type no.: 32” TFT LCD TV

Interface: LVDS ( single pixel)

Aspect ratio: 16:9

Horizontal Refresh Rate: 30KHZ~81.1KHZ

Vertical Refresh Rate: 56HZ~76HZ

Pixel Pitch: H 0.51075 X V 0.51075MM (Samsung Panel )

Max Resolution: 1280x1024

Contrast Ratio: 1000:1 ( Samsung Panel )

View Angle (CR>10) : (-89~+89)(H), (-89~+89)(V)

Color Depth Bit: 8 Bit

Response Time: 8ms

Brightness: 500cd/m2

TV System: PAL / SECAM / NTSC

Tuning system: VS Tuning

Program memory: 99 channels

Picture control: Brightness / Contrast / Color / Sharpness

Aspect ratio: 4:3, wide, cinema, subtitle, Fill screen

Sound control: Bass / Treble / Balance

Total Audio (W): 8W+8W / 8OHM

Indicator: Bi-color LED: On (Green ) / Stand-by (Red)

OSD language: English, Spanish, Chinese, Italiano, Portugues, French

Din type: Antenna (RF) in

RCA (AV in ): Composite Video / Audio in

S-Video: Y/C in

RCA (RF / AV out): Composite (RF / AV ) out

15-Pin D-sub: PC (Analog RGB)

DVI: DVI (Digital)

Auto Power off: Yes

Sleep Timer: Yes

Clock: Yes

Consumption: 32” Stand-by: 3 Watt / Operating: 180 Watt

EDIT: Ohh and the standard warranty is 1 year, JB also sell extended warranties...

1280x1024 is a 4:3 resolution. I've never seen this on a widescreen LCD panel before. Does anyone know if this display uses rectangular pixels to achieve the 16:9 aspect ratio with this res?

Interesting, did a quick search and found this, which appears to be the same screen

http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/Home-L.../1000840082.htm

Specs seem the same, except the pixel pitch and the PIP/POP listing. With my poor mathematical skills it looks like the pixels are 3 times wider than they are tall, certainly not a 16:9 ratio anyway.

Confusing.

Grant

Interesting, did a quick search and found this, which appears to be the same screen

http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/Home-L.../1000840082.htm

Specs seem the same, except the pixel pitch and the PIP/POP listing. With my poor mathematical skills it looks like the pixels are 3 times wider than they are tall, certainly not a 16:9 ratio anyway.

Confusing.

Grant

Yeah that looks identical, visually as well as specs... It does actually say PIP in the JB add, but I can find nothing in the manual about PIP, doesn't bother my STB has it and even then I never really use it anyway...

Yeah that looks identical, visually as well as specs... It does actually say PIP in the JB add, but I can find nothing in the manual about PIP, doesn't bother my STB has it and even then I never really use it anyway...

Isn't this also rebadged as a Baumeyer something (BRAND)? I don't recall the name but I think I've seen that as that brand before. David Jones carries them.

TM

I can confirm, by using a Teac DVB820 and a Samsung DTB550 HD box, the Soniq LCD panel will only display 720P via DVI. No other resolution I had any luck in trying to display. I logged this issue with the australian distributor, he was to call me back. Still waiting.... :blink:

I wouldnt feel too bad. 720p is a very popular HD standard (it is progressive after all). some seem to like it more than 1080i for quality (so its a prefered option for HD).

How did you go driving it via DVI from a Computer? can you get the whole 1280 x 1024 res?

I wouldnt feel too bad. 720p is a very popular HD standard (it is progressive after all). some seem to like it more than 1080i for quality (so its a prefered option for HD).

How did you go driving it via DVI from a Computer? can you get the whole 1280 x 1024 res?

It does accept 1080i via component inputs, but as it is 1280x1024 it is going to scale down anyway (like most of the 32" LCDs out there) so I personally I don't see that it makes a difference. I would prefer to input 720p on the DVI connection than 1080i on the component and have it scale down anyway...

As for the computer over the DVI, my laptop has the normal VGA (RGB is it?) out connection but no DVI, so I have only tried that and not DVI... About all I can say is that the picture is great :-) I have not tried 1280x1024 as I use 1152x864 on my laptop, and that works fine, I can try 1280x1024 tonight if you are interested in knowing if it works? I assume it will?