hard drive media player

I have been looking at these on ebay and am thinking it might be the compromise i am looking for

http://tinyurl.com/m9vkru

or

http://tinyurl.com/nrwun4

my plan is to rip all my cd's to it using a lossless process, then use the digital out from the unit into my Rotel (RSP-976) pre-amp and let that do the DAC work, then onto the speakers via the power amps.

i accept that the quality is going to probably be worse than my CD/DVD player (Arcam DV88) but how much?

to be honest i am not listening to the cd's much so if the music is all in a nice small package like the media player in question then at the least i am freeing up some space since i will be able to pack the CD's away. if it's there and i can operate it all from (yet another) remote then i might even listen to some of it again.

also as i get stuff on the net i can easily add to the media player.

plus videos etc

is there anything else i should consider in this price range ($300-400)

thanks in advace

mark

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First post here and might be using the wrong terms.

This one support FLAC lossless up to 24bit/192khz via coax

http://tinyurl.com/cvums7

It would be good start to get into Hi Res audio.

Here is a quick review about it.

http://tinyurl.com/npljzy

The only downside is that you have to turn on your TV to control the select your music.

Popcorn hour is due to release the new C-200 soon and waiting for see if that can stream hi res audio via coax. The current A-110 can only do up to 24bit/96khz.

Edited by cameltree
added review

If you don't have a network and are looking for a standalone media player for lossless music and movies check out the WDTV.

WD TV HD Media Player - http://www.wdtv.com.au/

Great thread on it here - http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=13075

And one a Whirlpool - http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1235561

Supports FLAC, the main lossless format, but like NFA said you need to have the TV on to select your tunes.

An option just for tunes if you do have a network, wired or wireless, is the Squeezebox.. plenty of threads on them here, have one myself and its brilliant :party

thanks for the advice already :party

my issues are that i don't have a network for the music to sit on, and as far as i can see the WD TV HD player needs an external drive of some sort, which means i need to have yet another piece of hardware hooked up.

the HDV-1000 looks like a better option, if i put a hard drive into it, though i hear the issue of needing the tv/monitor on to drive it, though presumably once one has a playlist or album going the screen can be turned off again?

which brings me back to my original consideration, it too needs a monitor on to drive the interface, but as was pointed out doesn't do lossless - though i i could probably live with mp3's at a high quality setting. it has the added benefit of already having the 1tb drive in it which makes it a fair bit cheaper than the HDV-1000

hmm, still can't make my mind up

The WD player doesn't require a network, but does require an external storage device to be connected via USB. The TV output options are composite or HDMI only though. Fine for those who have an LCD or plasma TV, disappointing if you have a CRT TV and would prefer to use component video (as I do). The device does have digital audio out though, so it can be connected to an external DAC.

I actually see external storage as a positive. It's easier to move to a new system if you should ever want to upgrade (having used many media players over the years this proves to be a real benefit). You can also unplug it and take it to a mates place pretty easily. If either device fails, the whole unit isn't rendered useless. If you ever set up a streaming network in the future, you can just plug your drive directly into that.

Not having component does suck tho if you need it.

I was browsing around, and came across mention of the Mediagate MG-M2TV.

http://www.gizmotron.co.uk/2009/07/27/mediagates-mg-m2tv-does-everything-you-can-imagine-a-multimedia-box-to-do/

Looks like competition for the WD device. Appears to have more features than the WD (including component video, yay!). Does anyone know of this product, and if it is available in Australia? I'm guessing it would be priced similarly to the WD, judging from the overseas prices.

If you don't have a network and are looking for a standalone media player for lossless music and movies check out the WDTV.

WD TV HD Media Player - http://www.wdtv.com.au/

Great thread on it here - http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=13075

And one a Whirlpool - http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1235561

Supports FLAC, the main lossless format, but like NFA said you need to have the TV on to select your tunes.

An option just for tunes if you do have a network, wired or wireless, is the Squeezebox.. plenty of threads on them here, have one myself and its brilliant :P

I've got one of these boxes, but before anyone gets too carried away there are probably a few points to consider -

Anything above 48kHz sampling rate will be downsampled to 48kHz in the box before being outputted via the optical TOSLink socket or HDMI connections.

It won't support playback of hi-res audio WAV files if the sampling rate is 88.2kHz or 176.4kHz, but is quite happy with 44.1, 48, 96, and 192kHz sampling rates with bit depths of up to 24 bits.

With WD's latest firmware upgrade available on the Net, the box will support USB hubbing so you can connect more than 2 USB drives to it. There are 3rd party unofficial hacks so it can be networked as well, and can be made to support physical drives such as CD/DVD ROM drives.

Audio output via the internal DACs is pretty awful IMO, but works quite nicely into my CEC DX71 Mk2 external DAC via the TOSLink cable.

Cheers,

Alan R.

It looks like there is a new version of the Western Digital media player due for release soon, WD TV 2. Information about it was 'leaked' a couple of weeks ago. (ie: pre-release advertising to raise consumer interest). Looks like the new version will include an ethernet port and component video output, although it looks like there is only one USB port. The same file formats are supported, with the addition of DTS. Pictures here:-

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/08/17/western-digitals-wd-tv-2-snapped-in-the-wild/

No mention of price or a release date yet. Looks interesting, I'll be keeping an eye out for it

From personal experience, the LaCie stuff is average. It bogs down with large libraries, average UI, etc.

WD TV 2 looks good. Photos show two USB slots, one on back and one on side. Component would be a nice addition, plus ethernet for network/web connectivity. I'll upgrade mine.

From personal experience, the LaCie stuff is average. It bogs down with large libraries, average UI, etc.

WD TV 2 looks good. Photos show two USB slots, one on back and one on side. Component would be a nice addition, plus ethernet for network/web connectivity. I'll upgrade mine.

Ah, I didn't notice the second USB port. In that case it appears to have everything the previous model had, plus the extra features.

I've been rather interested in one of these because of its apparent simplicity, reasonable price and ability to handle a wide range of formats. However, the lack of component video has put me off getting one so far. (I have an 80cm Sony CRT TV which I am quite happy with for the time being, so have no plans to upgrade my set to something with HDMI in the immediate future.) I also note that WD have supplied a number of firmware upgrades to fix problems and add some extra features since the unit was first released. (Quite a few manufacturers advertise their products as firmware upgradeable, but not all of them bother to make much use of it.)

The addition of component video removes the only real gripe I had about the old one, and the ethernet port looks like a worthy addition. I'm rather interested in one of these, as long as the price is sensible.

The PS3 does have quite a bit going for it. All depends on price and which features are most important to you.

JB Hi-Fi will be selling the new PS3 for under $500.

I'm spending the weekend at a mate's place. He has the existing PS3, so I'm going to see what all the hype is about. I'm going to investigate how well it performs with an external 2 ch DAC (CEC DX71 Mk2) and what bitrates it pokes out via the SPDIF port.

My mate has had his PS3 for a while now and has it networked for video and music. As my existing BR player is getting a bit long in the tooth, maybe this is an opportunity to upgrade?

Also guys, if you didn't know it, JB Hi-fi are selling the PS3 remote control bundled with 2 BR discs for $59.95. :love Good value if you don't already have the movies.

Cheers,

Alan R.

Im still kinda new to this "network" stuff but have really enjoyed the squeeze box scince I installed it 6 months ago and found it quite easy to use and seems very good quality.

I use ours in our bedroom.

Im also thinking about what to do now in the lounge room to hook the newtork in - another SB3 seems the go - but based on the discussion above I am thinking should I try and kill two birds and get both music and "video/pictures" networked as well.

Given the pricing discussed above and price of PC why dont we talk more about just using a PC - is it because to do what we want it/need it to do its costs too much?

Any comments/advice that helps the above initial query as well.

The problem with a PC is that you have to boot it up, run virus checks, install software updates, reboot, do more virus checks, etc, etc.... then, if you are lucky, you might eventually get a chance to make it do something useful.

I want something that I can just switch on. And, yes, price is a consideration.

The problem with a PC is that you have to boot it up, run virus checks, install software updates, reboot, do more virus checks, etc, etc.... then, if you are lucky, you might eventually get a chance to make it do something useful.

I want something that I can just switch on. And, yes, price is a consideration.

+1 :love

perhaps i will just have to wait a little longer for the one box solution.

i did think of putting a larger HD in my Topfield 5000 PVS, but that only plays MP3's so is still not going to be much better than the iPhone (i think?)

i like all the little boxes being mentioned so far, but don't want to have to switch on a external drive, as well as the interface, as well as the pre amp, as well as the power amp.....hmmm???? maybe i just don't want to have two extra units where one should suffice.

perhaps i will just have to wait a little longer for the one box solution.

Problem is it might do everything but usually has to make some sacrifices.. for example having to turn on the TV to play tunes. My plan was to get a dedicated device for both that does that job very well eg SB3 for tunes and a WDTV for vids being a relatively cheap solution and agree with gz76 the external HDD is very handy.

In the end I didn't buy the WDTV because I need the network, so the WDTV2 looks the business and now looking out for price and release date :popcorn

i did think of putting a larger HD in my Topfield 5000 PVS, but that only plays MP3's so is still not going to be much better than the iPhone (i think?)

You mentioned them before, IMO forget mp3s. Ripping all your CDs to a lossy format regardless of the quality will never compete with a lossless format like FLAC, and will be a waste of alot of your time you will later regret. Stick with FLAC to begin with, then later if you need mp3s for an iPod etc you can always very easily transcode/convert all your FLACs to mp3s :love

i like all the little boxes being mentioned so far, but don't want to have to switch on a external drive, as well as the interface, as well as the pre amp, as well as the power amp.....hmmm???? maybe i just don't want to have two extra units where one should suffice.

Just a headsup you don't need to switch on an external USB drive, many are USB powered and don't need a power supply drawing their power from the USB port.

Also a universal remote would do the trick for powering everything on, and you can setup macros or strings of commands so only need to press one button to turn everything on.

Edited by likwidsh0k