Sign in to follow this  
tobes1503560020

New AWA 81cm LCD at Big-W

My DVD (an old Neuston) is able to output 480, 720 and 1200. It is set to 480p but the TV when selects the component display 546i/50Hz on the screen. Why is that? Not a big deal of a question but I am curious...

Just to clarify, it says 546i or 576i? 576i is standard PAL, I suspect your DVD player will only output progressive for NTSC content only.

Maybe you could try 720

Just to clarify, it says 546i or 576i? 576i is standard PAL, I suspect your DVD player will only output progressive for NTSC content only.

Maybe you could try 720

You're right BigBob, I apologise. it is 576i - 50Hz. I tried the 3 modes, 480p, 720p and 1080i. It only works with 480p and/or HD Off. nWith 720 and 1080, it says - " Playback cannot be resumed. Please change to 480p". This using a PAL, australian, region 4. All the other regions play OK, if HD is off. Weird, isn't?

I believe this player is not very good for things that are not Dvix (originally designed for Dvix). This brand apparently disappeared and their forum was closed sometime ago. A pity they did not develop the player better as it does almost everything, with a few bugs of course...

Well, another item for my shopping list..

hi guys. how do you get the 81cm model working in 1366x768? i have a xbox 360 going into one via vga yet if i try and set the resolution higher than 1280x720 i get a 'out of range' error.

any tips appreciated!

Shane

Edited by xbw_shane

xbw shane, I think you will find that the VGA out of the xbox is a 1280x720 @ 60Hz signal. I am no expert but I believe a 720P image is 1280x720 resolution. So I am not surpirsed you are getting an era (out of range) message trying to set it at 1366x768.

I would also not be surprised if the AWA only did 1360x768 as a pc input resolution, as this seems to be a common res for LCD's to support.

xbw shane, I think you will find that the VGA out of the xbox is a 1280x720 @ 60Hz signal. I am no expert but I believe a 720P image is 1280x720 resolution. So I am not surpirsed you are getting an era (out of range) message trying to set it at 1366x768.

I would also not be surprised if the AWA only did 1360x768 as a pc input resolution, as this seems to be a common res for LCD's to support.

Yes the AWA only goes as far as 1360x768. This is the display mode I use for my HTPC.

evil_josh

I've read on some of the many AWA threads that some people are having trouble with their computer images moving to the right (or left, can't remember now), are you having any problems like this?

Also what about things like image bluring / smearing on camera pans and fast action?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I'm tossing up between many screens at the moment and have only very briefly seen an AWA at BigW when I was in store grabbing some computer supplies for work - didn't have time to really get a look.

evil_josh

I've read on some of the many AWA threads that some people are having trouble with their computer images moving to the right (or left, can't remember now), are you having any problems like this?

Also what about things like image bluring / smearing on camera pans and fast action?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I'm tossing up between many screens at the moment and have only very briefly seen an AWA at BigW when I was in store grabbing some computer supplies for work - didn't have time to really get a look.

I haven't had any of the myriad of problems that others seem to have observed. However yes I have had a situation when the display moves to the left or right by about 5-10 pixels or so. Generally this only occurs (and then only sometimes) if I change the display mode either intentionally or otherwise. In general usage this problem doesn't occur, or at least I can't recall if it has.

I am running 1360x768 through the analogue VGA port on the AWA. The AWA menu has an "autoset" function which calibrated the screen to the VGA sorce. I find this feature pretty neat because you don't really need to frig around with the settings - just hit the autoset and everything is done for you. Thus if I find that the display has jumped I just run the autoset and then it is fixed again.

As with just about every LCD on the market you will see smears when viewing live action - and the problem is at it's worst when watching sports like AFL or soccer. The AWA claims a 16ms response rate and whilst there are faster monitors out there try and get independant evidence of the claims as I recall a thread where an 12ms panel was indepedantly tested and found to be worse than 16ms!

Personally I think the AWA is great value and I am very happy with the picture quality. IF you are a die hard sports nut then you might need to bear the smearing in mind.

My advice when selecting a panel would be to just stand in the shops and watch, and watch, and watch until you are ceretain of the picture quality of the panel you are considering.

Hope this helps,

Josh