Sign in to follow this  
tobes1503560020

New AWA 81cm LCD at Big-W

I have the TFT-D81, and there are a couple of shortcuts in the input switching process.

Pressing Prog Up (or Prog Down) or even a number button on the remote, takes me straight to the Analog tv tuner input.

Pressing Multi Medi button takes me straight to Component input.

It may work similarly on yours.

Thanks ! The shortcut methods works in my 26inch LCD TV as well .

-ricky321-

I'm very happy with my TV. The only issue I really notice is what I'd describe as a slight vertical blind type of effect when panning against a light coloured background, as mentioned in my previous post. It's as if the lamp brightness is not completely consistent accross the screen, though you have to really know it's there to see it. If anyone else has noticed this I'd be interested to hear, maybe my lamp needs adjusting.

I've not really noticed any ghosting or clay face issues, certainly not as described in the Acer thread I read before purchasing my unit. I guess the best way of putting it is that I reckon of got good value for my money (would have been better again at $1673) and even she who must be obeyed is impressed with it. My wife impressed with a TV!!!!! Let us know how you get on guys.

Cheers

Grant

Dear Grant,

Do u notice that when there is a fast moving object moving across the screen, the object will be flickering ?

No matter u are using 576i or 576p or composite input or using

PC RGB input.

I check the other brands (eg. Siemens, Acer, Sharp) and also the Plasma TV.

It looks like they all have the same artifacts.

So far, for slow motion object, the color and sharpness is very good and

there is no flickering observed.

Do u think it is acceptable ?

cheers,

-richard-

Hmmm...still the 12th on my calendar.

Oh Yeah Wednesday!

Sorry boys, getting a bit ahead of myself. Read this thread again tomorrow and I won't sound like such a twit.

Kluc, I've got a Hotchip ODT4000HD (now $299 at JB Hi Fi) and I've no complaints whatsoever. It's an HD box and I can definitely see a difference between SD and HD when watching a proper HD broadcasts. The CSIs on channel 9 are great for this.

Richard, I've got my STB connected using DVI and I generally run it at 1080i and let the TV do the downscaling. I haven't noticed any flickering or artifact issues, though I must admit that I am usually a good 2.5m from the screen so that may play a part. Acceptable? for me definitely. Again, I guess it boils down to the fact that, for the price, I'm very happy with the unit.

Grant

Hey guys,

I'm new to the whole audio/visual scene and need some advice.

Just purchased the AWA81cm today for $1683 and the HOTCHIP ODT4000HD stb for $298.

The visuals look great so far, but one little problem.... NO SOUND!! :blink:

I have connected the supplied white and red RCA's from the L+R audio ports of the HOTCHIP to the L+R audio ports of the AWA (next to the y PB PR ports).

When I disconnect the stb and run the AWA independently I have sound.

I have a DVI cable running the video.

Any suggestions as to what I may be overlooking?

P.S. the volume is not muted.

Update.....

Sound works when I have component video connected.

Does not work with DVI as the video source.

Any ideas why I dont have sound when using DVI?

Joe

When using the DVI input you have to use the PC audio input port (mini-jack like a walkman or I-pod earphone jack). The YUV audio input only works with the Component input.

There may be input signal stregnth issues though.....

When using the DVI input you have to use the PC audio input port (mini-jack like a walkman or I-pod earphone jack). The YUV audio input only works with the Component input.

OK, starting to make some sense now. :blink:

As far as sound quality is concerned, is their a difference when using the YUV audio ports compared to the PC audio port?

Joe

There most certainly is. I had to use a preamp from my HTPC to the AWA before I could get a reasonable audio output. I suspect that the minijack input is expected to drive the speakers directly - which is why any PC audio sounds so quiet.

HTH.

Matt

Hi guys,

Thanks to your considerations, I bit the bullet and bought a AWA TFTD81G from Big-W. I'm a newbie on this and would like to ask you a few questions.

Everything seems OK although I noticed the so called "flickering" and "blurring" when the camera panes, etc. Also the faces colors "smears" a bit giving that unreal look like when you saturate the colors.

I have a Wintel set top box and I have a pretty good reception for the digital signals and never had this problem (smear) with the old analog TV. The picture was quite clear and sharp. DVD input is quite good although this unreal look also happens.

I also played with all the color, contrast, etc. adjustments to get to an ideal settings, for me anyway.

The technician from Telefix told me to reduce the resolution to 720 however I don't see a way to do this neither from the set top box nor in the TV. The DVD allows me to do it but when I go to 480 or 720 or highr, all I get is a very bad reddish image. It only works OK when I set HD component off in the DVD.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

How have you got the set top box and DVD connected?

How have you got the set top box and DVD connected?

I have all my components connected to a Pioneer amplifier and the video output from the amplifier to the AV1 on the TV so the amplifier is acting actually as a components switch.

The output of the set top box goes to the VCR and from there to the amp. Same with the DVD that goes directly to the amp. The sound is perfect in all aspects. Dolby 5.1 and DTS great, no hickups. The problem (if this ia a problem) is only the image.

Your problem is quite simple, you are using a composite connection.......

Stop using a composite connection!!!

This is the worst possible way of connecting your components together as the single lead is unable to stream enough bandwidth for a good signal, you are also possibly losing some quality through the switching in your amp.

Connect your STB and DVD player via Component (Red, Green and Blue RCA leads) and Svideo (round 4 pin plug) directly to your screen. You will be astonished at the difference!

Use the Component for the most frequently used and Svideo for the next.

You may also use the VGA port if either of your devices (STB or DVD player) has that option as this is as good as a Component connection.

Leave the audio connected to your amp for surround sound.

This does mean that you have to change the inputs on your Screen when you change sources as well as on your amp but that is a small price to pay!

Make sure you get some good (thick) Component leads, these can be had for about $30.

Check out this thread for more info on connection types:

Connection types

Cheers,

Peter

And turn off any digital noise reduction options. I find they simply introduce blurring

Your problem is quite simple, you are using a composite connection.......

Stop using a composite connection!!!

This is the worst possible way of connecting your components together as the single lead is unable to stream enough bandwidth for a good signal, you are also possibly losing some quality through the switching in your amp.

Connect your STB and DVD player via Component (Red, Green and Blue RCA leads) and Svideo (round 4 pin plug) directly to your screen. You will be astonished at the difference!

Use the Component for the most frequently used and Svideo for the next.

You may also use the VGA port if either of your devices (STB or DVD player) has that option as this is as good as a Component connection.

Leave the audio connected to your amp for surround sound. 

This does mean that you have to change the inputs on your Screen when you change sources as well as on your amp but that is a small price to pay!

Make sure you get some good (thick) Component leads, these can be had for about $30.

Check out this thread for more info on connection types:

Connection types

Cheers,

Peter

Gee Peter! I have a lot to learn. I looked at the other link and copied th stuf to Word document so I can read and digest it slowly.

Thanks a lot for your patience and knowledge. I'm going to buy a few decent cables and experiment with your hints and will let you know.

Thanks again,

Artur

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the advice. I am now very happy with my AWA TFTD81G. I rewired my system, used one component cable for the DVD and carefully built a few short video cables using coax 75 ohms. All my video signals go straight from the source to the TV's AV1, 2 and component inputs and the sound through my A/V amplifier. Even my old VCR is looking better.

The difference is dramatic! After doing the proper color, brightness and contrast adjustments, the image is almost perfect. The DVD is like a small cinema screen. As you said, I have to switch the sound for each device but it is OK. The advantage of having a great picture compensates.

I still have the time delay annoyance of this particular model when switching inputs but what the heck! For the price, it is worth it.

One more question before I go: would a HD set top box make a great difference? Mine is a Wintel SD.

Thanks again and cheers!

One more question before I go: would a HD set top box make a great difference? Mine is a Wintel SD.

I have a Teac DV-B800 HD-STB connected by DVI and the picture is noticably better (on both SD and HD material) but now that I have got used to the incredible level of flexibility and functionality of my SD PVR (Toppy) it hardly ever gets turned on!

Short answer is yes but I would suggest that at the moment you would be better off spending the same money on a good SD PVR.

There just isn't enough true HD material out there at the moment......

Cheers,

Peter

Depends on what you are watching and whether it is actually broadcast in HD or not.

I upgraded from ths SD Teac 300 to a HD Teac 820 on mine and think it looks much better when watching HD content.

SD content also looks better as with the HD STB I have it connected via DVI rather than Component so a digital connection rather than an analoge one which is much clearer.

It all depends on what box you buy and how you connect it to whether it'll make much of a difference or not.

Yep. The older model that looks better. Running in 720P from my PC. Which is outputting a resolution of 1216x684 to reduce the amount of overscan I was getting.

First shot looks great, but what's with the vertical banding in the second shot?

Thanks guys, for the advices re HD. You are right, not much to see in HD. I will go for a PVR in a near future. First I have to dicest the $ 1700 I spent on the TV...

Something I forgot to ask you experts:

My DVD (an old Neuston) is able to output 480, 720 and 1200. It is set to 480p but the TV when selects the component display 546i/50Hz on the screen. Why is that? Not a big deal of a question but I am curious...

Cheers!