Panasonic TV Owners & Discussion Thread

PLEASE DO ME A FAVOUR --- DON'T REPEAT DON'T EVER BUY A PANASONIC PLASMA TV !!!!!!!!!!!!!

( I owned many TVs mostly Sony and it did not fail me like Panasonic. I paid for almost S$4K for a 42" TV and it lasts for 2 yrs 2 months only, the extended 2 yrs warranty costs $500 and my set is still outside the warranty period !! The Panasonic Plasma TV 42" cost me S$2K per year in depreciation because the repair cost of the plasma is more than S$1K, so I SCRAP it and buy a New Sony LCD TV recently.)

Never ever own one Panasonic TV for yourself or your children !!! Pls let your friends know too !! Thank you !!!!

( My new house will have NO Panasonic airconf, NO P fridge and NO P Fan and NO P cooker etc... and definitely NO P TV !! If your friends ever present you one P electrical item, pls exchange it for other brands, it is unreliable and money sucking brand !! )

PANASONIC = LOUSY UNRELIABLE BRAND !! 

same thing can be said for other brands like sony, Toshiba and etc. For electronic items, you dont know when it will break down regardless of brands. It could breakdown withing one week or can last 10 or more years. Thats why we have manufacturer warranty and extended warranty to protect consumers.

Well I got out the measure today and was spot on about the being 4m away but if I wall mount it, it will be a bit farther back more like 4.5m this is from a 3 seater couch where I will do most of my viewing from.

The problem is I have a 2 seater couch as well which will put people at 2m-3m tops away from it and watching it on an angle.

With these measurments I think maybe the 46" will be perfect and not allow the TV to dominate the room.

I gota hurry up and decide as I want it here for the weekend.

Hmm!!!

they sound very similar sitting distances to my lounge room and i went from a 40" lcd to the 46" 800a plasma and find it a very good balance.i also tried the 46" in my billard room (9m x 8m) and sat as far away as 6m and found that a 50' or bigger would be needed.

cheers

Guest comfortablynumb

The extra HDMI at the side or front is usually for comcorder, camera, etc for easy access.

looks like I have to get a 2X1 HDMI switch for the TV-HDMI #1 to support MioTV and SH.

For the TV-HDMI #2, it will be reserved for the AV Amp.

Well I got out the measure today and was spot on about the being 4m away but if I wall mount it, it will be a bit farther back more like 4.5m this is from a 3 seater couch where I will do most of my viewing from.

The problem is I have a 2 seater couch as well which will put people at 2m-3m tops away from it and watching it on an angle.

With these measurments I think maybe the 46" will be perfect and not allow the TV to dominate the room.

I gota hurry up and decide as I want it here for the weekend.

Hmm!!!

I would definitely go for the 50" for those distances.

hmmmm. my 42" panny plasma is slightly over  5 yrs old and never ever failed before. Paid 8K back in 2003.  ;D You may have gotten a sour lemon.

Yah, I have a 42" Panny plasma that is coming to its 4th birthday, paid almost $8k for it in 2004. No problems whatsoever. In fact, the only problem is that I wish it would spoil so that I would have an excuse to buy a new one.  :P

Like another poster said, consumer electronics is often a matter of luck. Then again, a situation like the one mentioned above, where the two replacement panels also failed, is very worrying.

Guest comfortablynumb

I'm getting the Panny 50PY800 and was wondering if there are any takers for my 42" plasma.  ;D

I do not expect much $$ for it except that the person should arrange for de-installing & installing.

Do pm me yr offers if you are interested.

Can someone please advise how much should the 4-year warranty add to the price of the TH-50PZ800A? I checked a DJ store (in NSW) today and was advised that they can do the TV at min of $2541, but with 4-year warrenty through Easycare (?), it will cost about A$385 more. making the total cost around A$2900.

Does Th-50PZ800a have PIP like feature? I heard this mentioned for the 800a, although I thought it's only available in the 850a.

Lastly, can one expect the price of the 800a likely to drop sharply when the 850a comes out in the stores in the next few weeks?

Can someone please advise how much should the 4-year warranty add to the price of the TH-50PZ800A? I checked a DJ store... it will cost about A$385 more. making the total cost around A$2900.

When I bought my TV 2 years ago I worked on the rule of thumb that additional 4year warranty should add 10% to the price. Thing is, different retailers' warranties vary in their coverage (Myers and JB have no lemon policy) and some will negtiate whilst others will not. Ultimately, it should come down to what are you willing to pay for the TV incuding warranty and stick to tthat budget.

Can someone please advise how much should the 4-year warranty add to the price of the TH-50PZ800A? I checked a DJ store (in NSW) today and was advised that they can do the TV at min of $2541, but with 4-year warrenty through Easycare (?), it will cost about A$385 more. making the total cost around A$2900.

Does Th-50PZ800a have PIP like feature? I heard this mentioned for the 800a, although I thought it's only available in the 850a.

This is only a gimmick. I don't think it can do it.

Lastly, can one expect the price of the 800a likely to drop sharply when the 850a comes out in the stores in the next few weeks?

This is very reasonable for a 4 year warranty

Doubt it as the 850 is the flagship model.

I was just wondering if anyone has an opinion on the 800a as a gaming tv. I am very interested to get one but i want to make sure that it performs well with games, particularly fast moving action games like first person shooters. My girlfriend has a Bravia XBR and i find when i play Halo3 it looks beautiful but aiming is particularly difficult (esp using long range weapons like sniper). The aiming cursor seems to jump around with super sensitivity and even on the lowest setting and tweaking with all the tv functions i can't get it right. I thought it might be that i just had to get used to it but after a good deal of practice i am still heaps better on my old Phillips CRT. Not such a big deal i know, but it's a bit annoying to spend 3G on a TV and then get hammered online. If anyone has an opinion i would love to hear particularly from those that have upgared from the old CRT and play Halo3 on 800a.

At 4 metres I would get a 50' but at 2 metres I would get a 42'.

In fact today I did purchase a 42' Panasonic TH-42PZ800A and will couple it with a DMR-XW300 shortly

What price and location please , as going out on saturday to buy thanks . Still tossing up 42 or 50 leaning towards the 50 ...

Guest Blaircam
i think you'll find my $2275 for the 46pz800a is the cheapest.

And Austa apparently got a quote of $2541 on the 800A from a DJs in NSW - although it's not clear if that price was dependent on taking the extended warranty...

Dick Smith (Osborne Park WA) have the 50PZ800A for $2998 with $487 of 'bonuses' ie free surge protector and Tom Tom GPS. Without even trying, the salesman offered to drop the price if i didn't want the bonuses. Mentioned to him that I already had a quote of $2700 (including delivery). No problem he said, show me the proof and we'll match it.... With '4 years interest free credit'.... Not bad

I believe that was $1170 for the 42PX8A.

my bad ...

i just checked my printed copy of the receipt that im taking with me tomorrow and you are right ...

still tossing up between the 42px or 50px , as we sit more than 3 metres from the set a 50 might be the go ... we thought that when we bought our 86cm it was huge but lately it is really starting to look small ....

The price I got from DJ Chatswood (NSW) of $2541 for Th-50PZ800 was quoted along with warranty of A$385 (Easycare). I didn't check if they should sell if for $2541 if purchased without warranty.

I also checked Myer Chatswood (NSW) and mentioned DTV forum price of $2500. They said they could match this price. Their 4-year warranty (with Product Cover??) was $399.00 though.

The warranty prices seem to vary a bit. Has anyone looked into this and know of any thing to watch out for?

I phoned Panasonic and confirmed that 800A does not have PIP. I plan to wait till TH-80PZ850A comes out in next few weeks before making a decision (currently listed as $3324).

The warranty prices seem to vary a bit. Has anyone looked into this and know of any thing to watch out for?
there's plenty of threads discussing extended warranty. Do search and you'll see, but here's a couple to get you started...

Question On Buying Extended Warranty

Harvey Norman Extended Warranty, What is covered?

Extended Warranty Services, Opinion of the Extended Cover provided by the retailers

still tossing up between the 42px or 50px , as we sit more than 3 metres from the set a 50 might be the go ... we thought that when we bought our 86cm it was huge but lately it is really starting to look small ....

The 50" is a much bigger screen and is better value at only a few hundred more. After upgrading from a 42" to 50" I can say that I would never buy anything less than a 50", it's just a much better viewing experience at that size.