Panasonic TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Guest McLovin'

A question for the Pana Plasma experts. There is a lot of marketing etc at the moment about 100hz refresh rate in newer model LCD TV's but I was told in store that all current Panasonic plasma models also have 100hz refresh rate. Is this true? Is it the same thing that the LCD brands are promoting?

A question for the Pana Plasma experts. There is a lot of marketing etc at the moment about 100hz refresh rate in newer model LCD TV's but I was told in store that all current Panasonic plasma models also have 100hz refresh rate. Is this true? Is it the same thing that the LCD brands are promoting?

Yes Pana plasma's already have 100Hz but I'm not sure how this is compared with the new LCD 100Hz Spin.

The new PZ 50" only has half the contrast ratio of the cheaper PX 50" 10000:1, what is Pana thinking?

Edited by Pieter...

Guest cemalley
One thing I noticed in a brightly lit Myer store this week, was that the 5000:1 contrast ratio Panas (the true-high def ones) looked very dull compared to everything else in the place. The salesman confirmed they were a bit dim, and when he went to turn up the brightness and contrast settings, he found they were already maxed out!!!!

In a room with any ambient light, I can see the PZ700 not 'popping' like other screens - this contrast issue certainly explains the 'tinted' effect - the anti-glare screen doesn't appear to change the picture quality in any way (purely subjective of course!).

No wonder they advertise these screens at 100,000 hours of life instead of the standard 60,000 for everything else - they are dull enough for me to give them a miss and go for the 70 series instead........

Adam

I have one of these at home and even at "normal" setting, not maxed out, these are plenty bright enough even with lights on or some sunlight coming in.

I had a look at the 65" Panasonic fulll HD for $16500, it blows everything out of it's way. I doubt it that even the Pioneer's new Kuro could match this one, the best natural/cinema like picture I have seen. It has a stunning picture.

Give Kuro the miss and grab this one. I wish it was $10,000 cheaper!

Edited by Iceman

not trying to be rude here...but you been stressing your comments about how good the PZ is after you got yours many times on this forum as well. i dont see why you should come out like that when some one is stressing their difference of opinion as much as your self? now i don't think Iceman has an PX and are currently in the market for a new tv so id take his standing more neutral. even though i might not agree with him.

Shapes thanks for your understanding. I don't really know why he was finding my comments personal.

You are right I am in the market for a new TV and PZ700 was on my list but after seeing in action and playing with it's setting for a while, I did not like it. That is entirely my opinion. A lot of people here including salespersons have found it dull. Panasonic makes great Plasmas, there is no doubt about it but not all models are the same.

I am sure there are a lot of happy PZ700 owners out there, but the guy did not want to help or hear the negative feed. If I have made mistake in my judgment then I happy to learn from it and maybe I might even go and buy it if I am convinced.

Can anyone clarify this piece of info for me - what is the video processing engine used in the PV7?  Is it V Real or V Real 2?

I am confused because of the following:

(1) On www.panasonic.com.sg, if I click the Viera "The best deal is right here" promotion button, the information there is that PV7 uses V Real and PV70 uses V Real 2.

(2) At Best Denki Plaza Singapura, the stickers on the PV7 shows V Real and on the PV70 shows V Real 2 also.

(3) But the brochure that I picked up at Best Denki Plaza Singapura shows that PV7 and PV70 both have V Real 2!

(4) And at Harvey Norman Millenia Walk, the shop's information cards next to their TVs show PV7 and PV70 both have V Real 2.

So what is it actually?

I am going to buy a new 42' or 50' Panasonic plasma, but I dont know how much it should be?

If I pay cash at Good guys store, should I get 10~15% off??

So whats the best price obtained on the 58 inch model?

I feel the premium on the 50 inch is too much

Can anyone clarify this piece of info for me - what is the video processing engine used in the PV7?  Is it V Real or V Real 2?

I am confused because of the following:

(1) On www.panasonic.com.sg, if I click the Viera "The best deal is right here" promotion button, the information there is that PV7 uses V Real and PV70 uses V Real 2.

(2) At Best Denki Plaza Singapura, the stickers on the PV7 shows V Real and on the PV70 shows V Real 2 also.

(3) But the brochure that I picked up at Best Denki Plaza Singapura shows that PV7 and PV70 both have V Real 2!

(4) And at Harvey Norman Millenia Walk, the shop's information cards next to their TVs show PV7 and PV70 both have V Real 2.

So what is it actually?

Send a Email to below address will gets you the answer.

service@sg.panasonic.com

Emailed them already.  Just hoping that someone here with a PV7 would reply earlier to confirm what is in his set.  Also hoping that this raises awareness amongst forummers who might be similarly considering between these 2 models that there is confusing info out there at the moment.  Will update here if and when I hear from Panasonic.

BTW, is anyone familiar with the type of warranty cover offered by Best Denki, Harvey Norman and Gain City?  What are the differences?

I had all along assumed that warranty simply means "not working, they will repair or replace with a new set".  But think someone mentioned that Best Denki has a depreciating-type warranty, but I don't know the details of what it exactly means.

Sorry Tach34,

Just moved to Brisbane, I just said $2695 was a price I could get elsewhere delivered. He didn't even check just said yes ok.

cheers

Philby

Thanx. I've just done the opposite, gone from qld to Melb 2 weeks ago.. Told the wife we would get a bigger tv when we got here.. I'll post what price I get (am going to bargin down, then at the bottom say what extra can I get off for two..).

Nobody in Melb has a 700a that I can find, and I don't think the pz is worth the extra almost $2k over the 70a for what we are going to watch (FTA and divx)... So one for the kids, and one for us, coming soon..

I had all along assumed that warranty simply means "not working, they will repair or replace with a new set".  But think someone mentioned that Best Denki has a depreciating-type warranty, but I don't know the details of what it exactly means.

I have the BD Safety 5 Warranty brochure..

In essence, Safety-5 for TVs covers all repair cost throughout the 5 years provided that the fault is repairable and the difference of cost of repair and original price is borne by the warranty holder. If the failure is not repairable or caused by theft/fire/flood, starting from 1st year, the compensation will be 100% of the purchase price and reduces 20% every subsequent year.

Note that this Warranty is not transferable.

There are further T&Cs.. you really need to read yourself.  ;D

No worries Tach34, Maaaaaaate, why would you move away from QLD??? It's been fantastic here, so much to do and such great weather. My wife just went to melbourne for a few days and she complained about the cold( we lived there for 20 years)

I bought the 70a as I dont need the sd slot or the better speakers. I think the 70a would be perfect or what you want.

Ben, I think you are right. I went in spoke to the HN guy, demoed a few different tv's. I said I would go have lunch come back and make a decision. When I came back the original guy wasn't there ( i had his card ) I spoke to another guy advised him of the $2695 delivered quote. He went away checked came back and said sorry we cant do that price and walked off!!

Anyway, went and found another guy, explained the story, he went and checked came back and said no problems! He also credited the sale to the original salesman.

cheers

Philby

Ordered the Th50PZ700A from Myers. Haggled like a lunatic. $3666+35 delivered. :)

Which Myers did you get it from. Best price I have been quoted for the PZ700A is $4200 from DickSmith Powerhouse.

Edited by bms123

No worries Tach34, Maaaaaaate, why would you move away from QLD??? It's been fantastic here, so much to do and such great weather. My wife just went to melbourne for a few days and she complained about the cold( we lived there for 20 years)

Been thinking the same thing myself for the last week.. We came from here, just been up there for a couple of years and I already want to go back! Had to come here for some work stuff..

Tried today at GG, HN, DJ, Myers and nobody would come close to the prices quoted here.. Going to try again in another week... Let me know if I can have a copy of your receipt to pound them over the head with.. :-)

Been thinking the same thing myself for the last week.. We came from here, just been up there for a couple of years and I already want to go back! Had to come here for some work stuff..

Tried today at GG, HN, DJ, Myers and nobody would come close to the prices quoted here.. Going to try again in another week... Let me know if I can have a copy of your receipt to pound them over the head with.. :-)

Having just bought mine over the weekend, my advice is to do all your negotiating over the phone (not in person).

Sure no problem from me I was unable to PM you.

cheers

Phil