Panasonic TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Well i just paid for my first plasma  42" 500A, so i guess im the newest member of the panna clan :blink:

I picked mine up for $4235 inc 5 yr warrenty and delivery, all thanks to a certain DTV forum member pming me a contact :P huge thanks !!!

The breakdown was;

42" 500A $3850

Extened 5 yr warr $385

Delivery $FREE

Im pretty happy with that price, its not a bad deal hey? Delivery Thursday :P

*starts watching clock*

Well done...

To think the Pioneer is worth $1000 extra.. some people have more money than sense.

On the weekend I saw the 42PV500a at I think it was Retrovision @ the SupaCentre at Caringbah/Taren Point for $ 3799 which seemed pretty competitive - may have been a demo model perhaps as the other prices they had seemed to be pretty average

No I doubt it Retrovision alias Digital Homezone are infact the most competitive I have come across.

They are price aggressive and their service is top rate.

I just got a Strong 5400 to go with my 500A

I hear its a top notch STB

Ofcause had to get some nice DVI --> HDMI and component cables :blink:

Superviza

What sort of cableling did you get? Could you also let us know how it goes and how much did you pick it up for? I will be getting the 500a in the next few weeks and would like to know of a decent hd stb to go with it, so would appreciate any feedback i can get on it. Thanks :P

Man i was just working out my signal path on paper and realised the highest quality input on my dvd recorder is S-VIDEO !!!

Im needing to input my Foxtel digital into my LG DR7922W and the only inputs it has is, Composite - Svideo and DV ( like for camcorders )

Will using svideo look really shitty on the 500A ? can u get Scart to mini DV plug ?

Man i really dont wanna have to buy another dvd recorder :blink:

Man i was just working out my signal path on paper and realised the highest quality input on my dvd recorder is S-VIDEO !!!

Im needing to input my Foxtel digital into my LG DR7922W and the only inputs it has is, Composite - Svideo and DV ( like for camcorders )

Will using svideo look really shitty on the 500A ? can u get Scart to mini DV plug ?

Man i really dont wanna have to buy another dvd recorder :blink:

I don't know any DVD recorders which receives Component..... I think my pana takes RGB via scart.... that's how I have my toppy connected.... the recording quality is pretty good.....

If you mean if S-Video looks good on a TH-42PV500A, it does to me. Until I get an HD STB with HDMI/DVI, it's the best I could get.  :blink:

Yey i mean S-VIDEO, thats good it loocks decent, i relized the foxtel has 2 x Scart out so i can run one to my panny SCART --> Component and one to the dvd recorder SCART ---> S-VIDEO

Its being delivered on Wednesday, apparently i have 2 days to inspect it for any dead pixels, whats the best way to check? just reproduce all the primary colors on the screen via laptop and check for any dead/stuck pixels......

Viza :P

Its being delivered on Wednesday, apparently i have 2 days to inspect it for any dead pixels, whats the best way to check? just reproduce all the primary colors on the screen via laptop and check for any dead/stuck pixels......

Viza  :blink:

All I did on mine was put up a black JPEG and went over the screen with a fine tooth comb. Then did the same with a white JPEG. Found nothing, which is what I expected.

As far as I'm aware nobody has reported dead or stuck pixels on these panels. Even so, I would question the apparent Two Day "Pixel Policy" you have been told about. There was nothing to this effect in the Panasonic Warranty that I read.

If it is simply the store's own policy and it includes a pick up and delivery within two days, in addition to any factory obligations, I would check it over thoroughly first thing.

I just bought a 42" 500A for $3900 (TV + 5 yr warranty + delivery) from HN at Martin Place this morning, the panel will be delivered this afternoon (talk about fast).

I think they still have one left, so hop down there and have a look if you want.

awesome price zr953 esp from HN - well done so the $3900 inc the 5 year warranty???

Yes Zorg, the price includes everything, it is not a demo FYI

Now for those who are shopping around for STB, HN at Auburn is having a demo sale, you'd pick up a demo HD STB between $200 to $400, there were TEAC ($200), Panasonic ($250), Thomson, Sony and etc I saw last night. They do come with 1 yr warranty, all in quite good shape and with remote and manual, may or may not have the box though. BTW they all cash/cash card price.

Was very tempted by a 80GB HDD/DVD recorder for $400, cannot remember which major brand it was... panasonic maybe? Anyway heaps of cheap stuff if you dont mind the demo. I think all will be gone before this weekend.

zr953

Great price - must try to make some time to get down there this afternoon

Any other "specials" that you noticed this morning?

Did you find anything you like this afternoon?

Unfortunately no.

Juts finished setting up the whole system, took me an enjoyable four hours to set up all things around it, the hardest part I reckon is to get it work really well with MCE (kinda tricky to tune it perfect for the TV, maybe I am just too picky).

I am very impressed with the TV, awesome PQ, but not as good as normal CRT TV of course, but with such a big screen, I am willing to compromise on the PQ.

Juts finished setting up the whole system, took me an enjoyable four hours to set up all things around it, the hardest part I reckon is to get it work really well with MCE (kinda tricky to tune it perfect for the TV, maybe I am just too picky).

How did you end up connecting it to your PC? and what settings?

cheers

How did you end up connecting it to your PC? and what settings?

cheers

Through VGA. I make it as the secondary display device running 1024x768, my primary display is a 17" LCD on 1280x1024. MCE currently outputs on the TV (not sure if I can continue to work on the computer through LCD while leaving MCE running solely on the TV) , I can run some games on the TV but not others, there are lots of small issues like these yet to be resolved.

Just a heads up for people..

Harvey Norman at Martin Place Sydney now has these ticketed at $3574 but don't have any in stock. I was told to expect a one month delay if I ordered one now.

Wonder if it's the trick that they know the price is coming down then, so they get you to stop buying from others who do have stock.

In any case, that's a big drop - especially from Harvey Norman...

Wonder if it's the trick that they know the price is coming down then, so they get you to stop buying from others who do have stock.

In any case, that's a big drop - especially from Harvey Norman...

They are probably sitting at the Botany terminal waiting to be cleared.

Muppet said they were ticketed so I expect some "smart" punters to go and do some price matching with other retailers who have them.

It will be interesting to see which ones who do match and which ones dont and the reasoning behind why they wont? :blink:

The HN salesman tried the "we're probably going to raise the price because we're sold out but if you order it now I'll honour the ticket price" line. Then he tried to convince me that the Panasonic SD model was just as good and much cheaper.

I left without ordering one. Surely there will be some of these in stock elsewhere. Which makes me think I should have taken a photo of the ticket price with my phone to use as a bargaining tool.