Panasonic TV Owners & Discussion Thread

I would much appreciate if anyone bought a TH-42PV500A after the Oct 1 pricedrop in the Sydney metro area to tell me what you paid, and if it also included:

* swivel stand

* delivery

The best price I have so far is just under $4,000 with stand and delivery, but that's if my friend and I buy one each.

I'm also interested in extended warranty. Retravision is offering to extend it to 5 years on a deal for around $450. Is this a good price for the extended warranty? Should I bother? It apparently extends whatever is covered by the factory for the first 12 months to five years.

I thought that it already comes with stand included or is the one included not a swivel one?

I would much appreciate if anyone bought a TH-42PV500A after the Oct 1 pricedrop in the Sydney metro area to tell me what you paid, and if it also included:

* swivel stand

* delivery

The best price I have so far is just under $4,000 with stand and delivery, but that's if my friend and I buy one each.

I'm also interested in extended warranty. Retravision is offering to extend it to 5 years on a deal for around $450. Is this a good price for the extended warranty? Should I bother? It apparently extends whatever is covered by the factory for the first 12 months to five years.

Just to point out, the 42inch SD and HD Panasonic Plasmas have had a price drop as of 1st October, to me, it makes it the best value price/performance plasma on the market bar none!

Is this on the website only? I noticed the price at all shops I went to last week for the P50A was $3499 despite the web stating a $3899 rrp.

If I can score a P50A for $3000 or less I'll be very happy.

If I can score a P50A for $3000 or less I'll be very happy.

pasty, I don't know if you're in the Sydney metro area.

Harvey Norman Broadway had this unit listed at $3,1XX before the pricedrop. You might want to talk to them today or tomorrow to see if the pricedrop will now bring this to below $3k.

I don't necessarily think the Pana pricedrops will mean the same percentage margin for the retailers, but don't ask, don't get!

I'm about to check out Goodguys Alexandria if the 42PV500A is really listed at $3,999 before haggling.

Well, I'm glad you can get it for under $3k. It's definitely $3,999 listed at Goodguys Alexandria. Can get it around $3,850 including delivery.

pasty, for about $1k difference, I'd consider the HD version!

As for the swivel stand, apparently it's standard as per Panasonic's web site. This is not the multi-tiered glass stand.

do David Jones do any deals on these on there 4 year interest free thingo's?  otherwise should perhaps go to Megamart before they close down...

Had a look at Megamart Alexandria this afternoon. Wasn't even worth bothering opening my mouth. The prices listed there were extremely high - probably nudging the RRP.

Visited in this order: Goodguys, Bing Lee, Domayne and Megamart, all in Alexandria, NSW. It's the Goodguys for this round.

thanks guys - whats the hottest price in melbourne at the moment? Good guys are good yes they gave us a great deal on a front load washing machine beat everyone esle by $200 or so, also happy to take a cheque. Might go to Nunawading store on the weekend. Weren't guys getting good deals also using there Source Mastercard at Megamart with 10% off on the first purchase?

David Jones and Myers will all price match with any other advertised or quoted price. David Jones were doing 4 years interest free with one third deposit recently, not sure if they still are. But you need a David Jones card to take advantage of this. Myers were doing a one year interest free no deposit deal at the weekend I believe. Harvey Norman are currently advertising a four years interest free with one third deposit. It is wise to check out all of the other stores and see what price they are listing and what price they will do and just walk around and haggle. For us, we tried Dick Smith for the new Pana 50" which they had listed for about $6800. One guy we spoke to said they would price match but when we told them that Harvey Norman were doing it for $6299 and two years interest free he said he could not match that. However when we went back about 45 minutes later to buy the DSE 8000 a different salesman said that he wish he had been there as he would have seen what he could have done to compete with HN, and it sounded as if he would have possibly done better. So go to all of the major electrical stores, get a price and then see who will better the deal. I think they are all keen on doing this. And be armed with the info of which plasma is about to be made redundant and superceded by a new generation. HN did not come forward with the info that the Pio 505 is about to be replaced with the 506. They just tried so hard to sell the Pio 505 and it was clearly for this reason.

And be armed with the info of which plasma is about to be made redundant and superceded by a new generation.    HN did not come forward with the info that the Pio 505 is about to be replaced with the 506.    They just tried so hard to sell the Pio 505 and it was clearly for this reason.

I couldn't spot any 42PV500A at Domayne Alexandria today, but did find "limited stocks" of the superseded 42PV30A HD display going for about $4,299 (or higher, can't remember)!

Homezone Digital (sorry... not digizone) has stores in Sydney. See www.homezonedigital.com.au

This is where I picked up my Pana 500A for $3,780. Delivery was $80. Ring them up, they are willing to make deals over the phone. I never stepped foot into the place.

Well, I'm glad you can get it for under $3k. It's definitely $3,999 listed at Goodguys Alexandria. Can get it around $3,850 including delivery.

pasty, for about $1k difference, I'd consider the HD version!

As for the swivel stand, apparently it's standard as per Panasonic's web site. This is not the multi-tiered glass stand.

The SD (PA50A) for $3999 still? bugger! have you tried JB HiFi out?

OK I took the plunge and picked my TH42PA50A up last night for $2997 and also nabbed a Hotchip STB for $265. So far very happy with the purchase!

:blink: