The 720p vs 1080i question on ALIS 1024x1024

But then the screen goes blank?      I only get picture in 576p, 1080i or AUTO.    I figured this is because no-one broadcasts in 720p ?      Am I doing something else wrong?

Hey no by selecting 720p means the box scales the image to 720P

Not sure why you would not get this resolution i am pretty sure you model handles this res

• Moderators
Alebonau  -  Help !

You're spot on Glenn. The Hitachi only supports 720P at 60HZ.

http://www.hitachi.com.au/hitachi/content/...cifications.pdf

hi tamara sorry didn't respond earlier, I'm travelling.

foggy is right, I've posted on this before, hence could not comment on 720p earlier in the thread as don't have anything to run with it at 60hz. Guess could use a htpc I guess. Good I suppose to have one output set up for us gear I guess !, foggy I think you mentioned it might be forward thinking on hitachi part for say new us xbox or ps3 etc that might come in at 60hz.

foggy I think you mentioned it might be forward thinking on hitachi part for say new us xbox or ps3 etc that might come in at 60hz.

That was probably someone else's comment Al. Given that the xbox360 and PS3 will ostensibly be A/V devices, I think both companies would be extremely foolish not to include 50Hz output for the UK (and Aussie) markets.

I agree with Glenn about it being inexcusible, Hitachi stuffed it up with the 5000MA, but there is no excuse for still not having it on the 7800TA, they've had enough time to get it right.

• Moderators
That was probably someone else's comment Al. Given that the xbox360 and PS3 will ostensibly be A/V devices, I think both companies would be extremely foolish not to include 50Hz output for the UK (and Aussie) markets.

I agree with Glenn about it being inexcusible, Hitachi stuffed it up with the 5000MA, but there is no excuse for still not having it on the 7800TA, they've had enough time to get it right.

yes probably someone elses comment, maybe fattchoi?

I don't see it as a issue foggy for the hitachi as nothing we have broadcast is 720p anyway unless you using scalers etc but thats not something I've got money for but might be of concern to someone else.

I do think its handy theres one format on the panel 60hz capable for any US gear to hook upto. Obviously would be even better both 50 & 60Hz but you can't always have everything.

yes probably someone elses comment, maybe fattchoi?

I don't see it as a issue foggy for the hitachi as nothing we have broadcast is 720p anyway unless you using scalers etc but thats not something I've got money for but might be of concern to someone else.

I do think its handy theres one format on the panel 60hz capable for any US gear to hook upto. Obviously would be even better both 50 & 60Hz but you can't always have everything.

Sorry Al but of course its an issue

Remeber we have the ablility to change our Australian boxes to 720p and our boxes run at 50Hz

And we are now limited to upscaling DVD players that can handel 720p at 60 Hz

The only resolution they forgot to add was 720p @50Hz

• Moderators
Sorry Al but of course its an issue

Remeber we have the ablility to change our Australian boxes to 720p and our boxes run at 50Hz

And we are now limited to upscaling DVD players that can handel 720p at 60 Hz

The only resolution they forgot to add was 720p @50Hz

sorry glen but as I mentioned not an issue for me and hasn't been for the year and a half I've owned the panel. And I'm sure it is not an issue for a multitude of hitachi owners out there either. I honestly could not give a rats what they do with 720p. Not a format broadcast by digital TV. And theres other choices with upscaling dvd players and scalers.

ofcourse might be of interest to someone else as I said for a scaling players or stb at 720p. but honestly I don't know why you'd bother given the native broadcast resolution of 576i,576p or 1080i or DVD standard upscaling to 1080i or 576i or 576p outputs all of which this display handles extremely well.

I neither have an upscaling player, run a scaler or use 720p with a stb and hence not been an issue to me.

As I also mentioned ofcourse it would be great it could do 50 & 60 hz for everything but ofcourse you can't have everything and also keep in mind currently this panel goes for even less than the pana out there at present. Given what it has I still think it is extraordinary good value.

sorry glen but as I mentioned not an issue for me and hasn't been for the year and a half I've owned the panel. And I'm sure it is not an issue for a multitude of hitachi owners out there either. I honestly could not give a rats what they do with 720p. Not a format broadcast by digital TV. And theres other choices with upscaling dvd players and scalers.

Sorry again but I did not read your message as say it was not an issue for you but was not a issue full stop which I was answering to .

ofcourse might be of interest to someone else as I said for a scaling players or stb at 720p. but honestly I don't know why you'd bother given the native broadcast resolution of 576i,576p or 1080i or DVD standard upscaling to 1080i or 576i or 576p outputs all of which this display handles extremely well.

I do know of people that own different types of displays that prefer 720P over any other resolution so had they bought the Hitachi thy would be screwed if running at 50Hz

I neither have an upscaling player, run a scaler or use 720p with a stb and hence not been an issue to me.

Sorry but I think its imperative that these companies cater for all users not a few that don’t care a particular resolution and this is not a crack at just Hitachi but all manufactures that screw the PAL countries over

As I also mentioned of course it would be great it could do 50 & 60 hz for everything but of course you can't have everything and also keep in mind currently this panel goes for even less than the pana out there at present. Given what it has I still think it is extraordinary good value.

Granted but there are manufactures that do cater for both 50Hz and 60hz so I don’t see why some can and other cant I feel its just pure laziness or lack of concern for some regions.

I take you point about the pricing of these units but remember when these units hit the market they were at the same price point as other units that do cater for it. 

Now I have that off my chest I feel so much better

Wow - a topic more emotional than I would have expected!

The Hitachi puts out such a clear picture at 1080i, It would be hard for me to imagine the 720p picture being noticeably better?

If I did need to improve my 1080i picture, maybe I could just buy an expensive DVI cable instead! :P - Just Kidding

ps - Thanks for finding the 60Hz specification, I was about to get out my Manual to look it up! That's always a last resort! :blink:

The problem is that many of us here don't like to miss out on features that other people have, even if we're unlikely to ever use them. It's a similar argument to buying a plasma without HDMI, we don't really like or need it, but we want to be sure we have it.... just in case. :blink:

The problem is that many of us here don't like to miss out on features that other people have, even if we're unlikely to ever use them. It's a similar argument to buying a plasma without HDMI, we don't really like or need it, but we want to be sure we have it.... just in case. :blink:

Ummm that sums its up well :P

I have just purchased the ausid box (thanks glenncol-it is much better than the dgtec2000a). The ausid is set to 1080 and connected to my Yamaha pdm4210 (alis)

via component. I also have my pvr connected to the Ausid via s-video, I can only see 720p when watching through the pvr (s-vid). Selecting 720p otherwise results in "invalid scan frequency"

I would have to say it is often hard for me to see a difference on sd channels, when setting the box to 1080, however the difference is huge when watching a hd broadcast.

This leads me to beleive that the Yamaha has a great scaler.

Even Prime's 576p looks great, upscaled to 1080 via the ausid or the Yammy.

Cheers, Paul.

hi tamara sorry didn't respond earlier, I'm travelling.

foggy is right, I've posted on this before, hence could not comment on 720p earlier in the thread as don't have anything to run with it at 60hz. Guess could use a htpc I guess. Good I suppose to have one output set up for us gear I guess !, foggy I think you mentioned it might be forward thinking on hitachi part for say new us xbox or ps3 etc that might come in at 60hz.

Does anyone know if the Hitachi screen (42PD5000) is HDCP complient? I'm looking at getting a better DVD player, but can not find out if this screen is HDCP complient!