FX5200 and hardware acceleration

I recently purchased a chaintech fx5200 card to get Tvedia up and running on a video card. That has not worked. I have also noticed that MPEG applications such as media players (powerDVD4 and WinDVD5) and dvbt software (avertv dvbt) don't seem to be using the hardware acceleration. When playing SD files the CPU usage runs at around 35% (on an athlon2400, 256 Gb RAM) and HD runs at about 95%. These values seem way too high to me and I'm sure I had similar values with my previous radeon7000. The OS is XPhome(SP2, directX9c) and the graphics drivers are 77.72.

Has anyone else encountered this with a fx5200? Did you solve the problem?

Thanks for the suggestion, gave it a try but no luck. The only thing that has worked was to download and install the trial version of NVIDIA DVD decoder. This allowed Tvedia to work and windows media player could use the decoder (halved CPU usage) but powerDVD and WinDVD still did not use it. Are nvidia cards seriously sold still requiring a further software purchase from them to make the features work? I think I just became an ATI convert.

Well the only thing that getting the nVidia PureVideo Decoder does (formally known as the nVidia DVD Decoder) is enable the PureVideo functions of the Geforce 6 series. Of course, as you've noticed, the PureVideo Decoder can be used with any DXVA card, however that's as far as the support will go and any PureVideo post-processing will be done in software without a Geforce 6 installed.

Before you do anything drastic and spend more money, I would try and update to a newer version of PowerDVD and/or WinDVD. The latest versions are PowerDVD6 and WinDVD7. They have trial versions on their respective sites.

hi,

probably a silly question, but is hardware acceleration

enabled in windows ?

it might be worthwhile just to check.

display properties > settings > advanced > troubleshoot >

acceleration to full

cheers

bdf