i need tips on degaussing a sony tv

my tv's model is kv-27fv17

i caused some discoloration on the screen with a magnet (don't ask why), and some big weird colors did go away after i turned it off and on after a short while. now, there are slight discoloration on the corners and bascially all over the screen (more like darkened, but jsut very slightly. not serious).

the tv's internal degausser doesn't seem to be doing a good job as the screen doesn't seem to be improving much with the tv being turned on and off nurmous times.

i ordered a tv degausser http://cgi.ebay.com/TV-Picture-Tube-Degaus...1QQcmdZViewItem

does anyone here has experience on degaussing a new model sony tv or basically new mode tvs? i read that there are magnets placed on the rear of the new model sony tv ,made after 1997, for the purpose of correcting the screen geometry, and an external degausser can ruin the screen because of this.

if i use the degausser a little far like say 3 feet away from the screen and back away from there...would that work? i mean is there negative effects of using it that far away?

Did you actually unplug the TV set from the power point and let the TV set sit for a while unplugged? The thermistor on the degaussing coil needs to cool down. If you have done that and if the internal degaussing coil isn't working then you have no option but to use an external Degaussing Wand.

if i use the degausser a little far like say 3 feet away from the screen and back away from there...would that work? i mean is there negative effects of using it that far away?

Start at the top of the set first then slowly start making circles in front of the tube getting smaller as you move away from the set then switch off wand if you have a corner that's still has problems make that the starting point and work your way back from corner

cheers laurie

yes i did unplug it and left it over night then turn on and not just once.

my tv is SONY WEGA KV-27FV17<--------is this set safe to be degaussed???

to clearifly my issue

my tv screen is a bit messed up. words on screen has a pink shawdow, and it is much more pronounced at the top and bottom. then there are darkened areas on screen, also, the bottom of the screen would wave left and then right and then left slowly consistently with one another (i knew the right bottom waved before i degaussed it, didn't check left side)...discoloration at the corners as well. *ALL* due to magnet.

i tried to degause it with an external degausser, but i don't have clear instrcutions to excute this. please help with this. i stand 5-7 feet away from the tv, then i turned on the degausser, i walk slowly toward screen with degausser paralell to screen, making small circles, about couple inches from screen, i stop walking and continue to circle the degausser and gets bigger and bigger to the other edge of tv and that consists of 5 total circles, then i back away while making circles and gets smaller....then about 4 feet away, i stop, turn degausser to perpenditculae to screen, turn off degausser...this all takes within about 10 seconds...correct?

my instruction says, to circle the front, the top, the sides, for 2-3 mins and then move back with degausser facing the screen, then turn off...the degaussing i did didn't have any noticeable improvement for my tv...am i supposed to do the sides, the top too? i am just afraid i would harm the tv for doing too much.

is my tv screen beyond repair (desgussed)?

i walk slowly toward screen with degausser paralell to screen, making small circles, about couple inches from screen, i stop walking and continue to circle the degausser and gets bigger and bigger to the other edge of tv and that consists of 5 total circles, then i back away while making circles and gets smaller....then about 4 feet away, i stop, turn degausser to perpenditculae to screen, turn off degausser...this all takes within about 10 seconds...correct?

You are doing it arse about!

cheers laurie

...damn i am too weak

bigben no your'e not PM me if you cannot follow this:

Make sure the TV if on a table top or cabinet is moved forward enough to overhang by say 160mm so that you start the process back from the front of the screen do 2 circular around the set then on the third move the wand without stopping to the front of the screen start at extreme edges of the screen and work slowly towards the centre of the screen in a circular motion while walking back from the screen swith off when no rainbow effects are seen now if you have say the top right hand corner with a purple/pink ect patch then start at that point making sure the wand is switch on prior to starting and keep the circulat motion in that area while walking back good luck

cheers laurie

thanks for your help Laurie! i appreciate it! :P

not doubting your method, but only thing is that i keep hearing not to touch the rear of the tv because that's where the eletronics/sony magnets are.....me confused. real confused.

there is actually very little green/purple at the corners...and generally there are big slightly darkened areas but not rainbow. about the pink color/shadow, i don't think that's purity problem anymore, it looks like a convergence problem that i thought was discoloration. does convergence problem apply to the whole screen or can it be selected areas? my whole screen pretty much suffer from it, but it is a lot more noticeable at the top and bottom. i don't think there is a convergence setting in the service mode for this tv neither.

i am very upset because i ruined an almost perfect tv and there is still no excuse to buy a new one.... :blink: i guess it might be better to get a repiar tech because of convergence issue..stupid magnet! :P

thank  you!:blink:

i guess this is not something that can be easily fixed...

and i seriously don't know what the hell is going on...the whole screen is kind of waving slightly back and forth

Don't panic, bigben.

When my parents first bought a colour telly way way back, I got an old speaker magnet to do the "trick" I used to do with the old black and white telly.

Well did I get a shock when I took the magnet away and the colours stayed all f****d up!

I panicked!

The old man took the telly into town and the local TV repairman degaussed it. No problem, no long term damage.

Cheers

JB

yea but you see, these instruction are very confusing to me...although Laurie did a good job explaining it to me, i still can't figure out the last part...

and i think there difference between a black and white set to a color set is that a bw one you don't have to worry about convergence problem, which is what i have now i think:(

***can someone draw me a simple diagram to how the degassuer should be facing the tv when you approach it and how it is facing the sides when you are circling the face perimeter***

i have search all over the net and there is not 1 single degaussing tutorials with illustrations/pictures or videos...how do people make degaussers for sell and yet the real information is so lacking? i mean tons of articles but none has easy to understand instructions

bizzibee

only thing is i don't have a car, so probably i have to wait til next weekend for my friend to take it to a sony repair shop.

i actually want to get a home service...but my worry is that the tv might have to be sent to the repair after an estimate that costs me 69 plus tax from a advisory tv and radio shop. if they can fix it without moving the tv, i am willing to pay the estimate and repair price.

Don't worry, your TV isn't stuffed.

To use your degaussing wand, turn it on when you're not near your TV, and walk towards it, waving it around in about a 12" circle constantly, like you are waving a magic wand. You should see the TV reacting to the field. (Obviously your TV should be turned on already).

Just keep the wand moving in small and large circles especially around the areas where you have the most discolouration. You can even have the wand right up against the glass if you want - just keep it moving.

The trick is to keep the wand always moving, and to gradually move the wand away from the TV when you think you've finished. The way I do it is to simply keep moving the wand in little circles but at the same time, slowly moving away from the screen until I'm several feet away.

The whole time you're doing this, you should be able to see whether it's working/worked or not - the discolouration should pretty much not be there any more. If it's still there, slowly move back in, again keeping the wand moving in small circles.

Notes:

Never turn off the wand when it's close to the TV.

Always keep the wand moving in little circles.

Focus your movements on the troubled areas of the screen but slowly broaden your waving to go beyond the trouble areas.

Do all of the above while in front of the TV, not behind it.

For an additional "jolt", you can do the following (but take note of the WARNING that follows):

Turn off the wand.

Turn on the TV.

Hold the wand right up against the TV.

Turn on the wand.

**** BWWAANNNG!! ****

You should see the screen go absolutely nuts.

Start waving the wand in those little circles, gradually moving around the screen and away from the screen, until once again you're far away from it. This may actually cause more problems than it solves so I wouldn't advise it unless perhaps you're desperate.

WARNING:

Years ago, I did this using a wand on a Sony monitor. Sony Trinitron TVs use a shadow mask consisting of many, many very very tiny vertical wires running from a bar on the top of the inside of your tube, to the bottom. If you look closely, you can see them. On the larger Trinitron screens, the wires have so far to go that they get all wobbly, which can make the picture all terrible. To prevent this, Sony weave a small wire across all of them horizontally, about 1/3rd of the way down the screen, and again about 2/3rds. If you look closely you can definitely see the wire. Some people hate this; others say that your brain eventually doesn't notice it.

The not-so-cool thing about all of the above, is that I used the degaussing wand too much on the screen, and actually magnetised the vertical wires together. The result was that you could see the wires all fused / clumped together on the screen. It totally buggered the picture. No amount of magic-wand whirling fixed it.

The solution we eventually came up with was to bang on the glass REALLY HARD with the wand - REALLY, REALLY hard - so hard that we were afraid that the glass would crack and we'd all be killed. But the impact caused the wires to jolt around, eventually freeing them from each other.

Not recommended. Death will almost certainly ensue. DO NOT bang on the TV screen with anything.

Provided you're not American, I'll assume the above warnings will suffice!

D

• 1 year later...
Guest bboundy

Hi,

I seem to be having a similar problem with a Sony KV-G21S1. About 6 months ago, I noticed the whole screen had a red tinge to it (i.e. white shows up as pink). About a month later, the screen got a green tinge with darker green lines running almost horizontally across the screen over the red. It wasn't a problem as the green went away after about 10 minutes.

Recently though, it has been impossible to get rid of either tinge and the only way to be able to make out any detail on the screen is to turn the brightness right up. If anyone knows why this happens or how to fix it I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm having a similar problem, although much less serious than those I've read here, and it's with my Samsung CRT.

A tiny bit of the top-left corner of the screen goes a bit redy-orange the more present a blue blackground is (ie. daytime sky, blue mood lights, etc). But when the screen is almost any other colour, or black, it does not show up.

Although it may seem minor, it shows up a lot. I just want it to go away, and I really hope it does not consume more of or the whole screen. :blink: