New due dates for Devonport

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi All

Queried dates for Digital TV rollout through local political member. reply from Aust Comms & Media Authority as of 19th June

Devonport (Kelcey Tier) due to rollout 1st Sept 2006 all channels

Burnie, Penguin, Ulverstone and Wynyard ABC & SBS rollout 1st Sept 2006 others 30/6/2007

Hope that helps

Ian

Burnie, Penguin, Ulverstone and Wynyard ABC & SBS rollout 1st Sept 2006 others 30/6/2007

Hmmm interesting.

I take it that when you say "others 30/6/2007" you mean the commercial broadcasters? 9 months is a long time between the national broadcasters and commercial broadcasters don't you think? Other digital transmission sites have had the commercials broadcasing within 2 to 6 months of the nationals commencing! (With great fanfare!)

I have had clients contact WIN, who have replied that Digital transmission along the N W Coast should be up and running approx Dec 06/Jan 07!

ABC and SBS have had their 1st Sept implimentation plans listed on the ACMA website for the last six weeks or so - so nothing new here!

Just wish we could get definate dates from the Commercial broadcasters!

Hmmm interesting.

I take it that when you say "others 30/6/2007" you mean the commercial broadcasters? 9 months is a long time between the national broadcasters and commercial broadcasters don't you think? Other digital transmission sites have had the commercials broadcasing within 2 to 6 months of the nationals commencing! (With great fanfare!)

I have had clients contact WIN, who have replied that Digital transmission along the N W Coast should be up and running approx Dec 06/Jan 07!

ABC and SBS have had their 1st Sept implimentation plans listed on the ACMA website for the last six weeks or so - so nothing new here!

Just wish we could get definate dates from the Commercial broadcasters!

Up on the Mid North Coast of NSW, we have had ABC since august 2003 and SBS since early 2004, for most of these sites it is still only the nationals broadcasting, so consider yourself lucky that the gap is only 9 months.

Digital will happen when it happens, unlike aggregation which occurred on one particular day in Tasmania (30 April 1994).

Until the frequency allocations appear on the ACMA register for the proposed sites, startup dates are fictions. The appearance of the allocation in any case would only be an indication, one more piece of the puzzle.

ACMA radiocommunications search register

Yeah sharing the frustration.

They keep putting the dates back.

Has Burnie TAS (TDT), SCB and WIN scheduled for 30/6/2007 and I assume that will only be SD, heaven knows if and when we will get HD.

I am in Wynward, might have see if I get an aerial up for Mt Barrow.

I assume you mean that you are in Wynyard ianh ?

All the digital antenna's (shouldn't that be antennae?) that I have aligned and installed around the Wynyard area, all have been able to receive excellent signal from Mt Barrow without any applification! I would have done close to 100 now! :D

If you would like any assitance ianh send me a PM and I can advise you if you wish!

You are totally correct marcj when you say Digital will happen when it happens. We can speculate all we like but we will just have to wait it out until we receive that ellusive didital signal from these N W sites. And as you have said previously - if you can get digital now from Mt Barrow - GO FOR IT! Customers always ask should they realign to the local site when it comes on air. My answer to them is WHY, the Mt Barrow signal will not get any worse than it is now and will be more reliable than the translators. My only gripe is for those who cannot get Mt Barrow now and their analogue reception is crap. This is where the local digital translators will help out.

Digital reception has really been a eye opener down this end of the coast! :blink:

Electronicman

Digital will happen when it happens, unlike aggregation which occurred on one particular day in Tasmania (30 April 1994).

Until the frequency allocations appear on the ACMA register for the proposed sites, startup dates are fictions. The appearance of the allocation in any case would only be an indication, one more piece of the puzzle.

ACMA radiocommunications search register

Gee Mr. MCJ you even get a mention... :P Also do I hear a echo of you in here.. :blink:

Henny from Ulv rang today.... all fixed.. :D

Cool :D

With a bit of luck, when I get back from wherever it is I think I'm going to, maybe digital will be up and running on the NW. :blink:

lol...you think,, mmm ok, you'll have to let me know what it's like at wherever ,whatever the place is, :P

Well some people will be living in hope that you might be right, as I believe there are alot of experts along the coast that will be ready to pounce and make a killing, some that will be as bad as the early 90's..., I'm not fussed with it, to busy doing what I'm doing.. and that is getting as mad as digital at the present... and by all forecasts will get even mader... anyhow, enjoy your'e trip to wherever land.. :P

Have you got anything up on 2m or 70.??... I'm currently playing around setting up APRS... only problem with that is that Boss will know where I am at any given time.... :P

• 1 month later...
Cool :)

With a bit of luck, when I get back from wherever it is I think I'm going to, maybe digital will be up and running on the NW. :)

It looks like it will Marc! :blink:

I know you'll read this from where ever you think you might be!

The Notices section of today's Advocate has a notice from SCT that Digital channel 40 will commence testing from Kelcey Tier on August 21 with full time broadcasting on September 1st!

There is also a very similar notice placed by SCT that digital channel 36 for TDT will also commence testing on August 21 with full time broadcasting from September 1st!

:D Hip Hip Horray! About bloody time! :)

It also states all existing analogue services will be transfered to a new tower at the Kelcey Tier site!

It looks like SCT and TDT will be transmitting digital first from the Tier, as there is no other notice from WIN, ABC or SBS.

You may need to cut the vacation short Marc! Second thoughts - stay as long as you like, my workload should increase remarkably!

As said on an earlier post - someone from the four broadcasters would of had some inkling of when digital would transmission would commence from Kelcey Tier!

Oh BTW, the reception locator still shows October for SCT, TDT and WIN - December for SBS and ABC!

I'll now have some happy clients from the Devonport (and maybe Ulverstone) way now!!! :P:P:P:P:P

:blink: Well buggar me!

ABC advertised today in the local rag that it has commenced Digital TV test transmissions from Kelcey Tier!!! On channel 45! :D:P

Yet their website ABC New Transmitters still lists East Devonport as a November startup!

So as Marcj said - it'll will happen when it happens - looks like sooner now rather than later!! Hopefully all of them will be broadcasting when he returns!!!

GOOD THING!!

Guest smileydudeuk

Just thought I'd mention that I just scanned my tv tuner card and I get Win, SCT and TDT all perfect picture. My arial pointing towards kelcey Teir.

Just thought I'd mention that I just scanned my tv tuner card and I get Win, SCT and TDT all perfect picture. My arial pointing towards kelcey Teir.

Can you tell what channel numbers they are? Are you sure that they are not Mt Barrow channels coming in the back of your antenna? This could be a possiblity! :blink:

Testing of all the digital channels from Kelcey Teir is not ment to commence until next week - August 21st. Also there has been no notification of WIN commencing digital test transmissions as yet! :D

BTW - SBS techs have been around Burnie today doing field measurements from a low powered Didital test transmission from Round Hill! This was advertised today in the local rags notices section!

Can you tell what channel numbers they are?

I actually pick up some channels this moring.... but this arvo I can't get squat...

I don't seem to be able to get the new ABC channel either...

I picked up:

TDT - SD Frequency 697500

TDT - HD Frequency 697500

SCTV Launceston Frequency 599500

SCTV - HD Frequency 599500

Are these just Launceston Chans?? I only got 50% signal strengh so was unwatchable.

I quickly jumped on the roof and swang the ariel around towards Launnie, but signal went straight down... which leads me to think it was from Kelsey....

Not sure why I got such crap signal though, I have clear line of sight to Kelsey.

I actually pick up some channels this moring.... but this arvo I can't get squat...

I don't seem to be able to get the new ABC channel either...

I picked up:

TDT - SD Frequency 697500

TDT - HD Frequency 697500

SCTV Launceston Frequency 599500

SCTV - HD Frequency 599500

Are these just Launceston Chans?? I only got 50% signal strengh so was unwatchable.

I quickly jumped on the roof and swang the ariel around towards Launnie, but signal went straight down... which leads me to think it was from Kelsey....

Not sure why I got such crap signal though, I have clear line of sight to Kelsey.

No these are definately Launie channels 52 (TDT) and 38 (SCTV)! :P There is no difference in frequency for HD or SD!

Don't know why you lost signal when you swung the antenna towards Launceston? You don't say which side of Kelcey you are on (East or West of) or if your antenna is vertically polarised (needs to be horizontal for Launnie). :D

Testing from Kelcey Tier is not supposed to begin until Monday and then only SCTV, TDT, ABC and SBS - no WIN! And it definately won't be at full power levels or at all times. Full time broadcasting won't commence until September 1st and October 1st (ABC/SBS) and then they are not likely to be at full power!

The frequencies you should see for Kelcey Tier are:

SCTV - 613500 (UHF 40)

TDT - 585500 (UHF 36)

ABC - 648500 (UHF 45)

SBS - 606500 (UHF 39)

WIN - 627500 (UHF 42) - when it starts!

I hope this helps! :P

It'll remain to be seen if we get any co-channel interference between SBS and SCTV on UHF 39 & 40! :blink:

No these are definately Launie channels 52 (TDT) and 38 (SCTV)! :P There is no difference in frequency for HD or SD!

Don't know why you lost signal when you swung the antenna towards Launceston? You don't say which side of Kelcey you are on (East or West of) or if your antenna is vertically polarised (needs to be horizontal for Launnie). :D

Testing from Kelcey Tier is not supposed to begin until Monday and then only SCTV, TDT, ABC and SBS - no WIN! And it definately won't be at full power levels or at all times. Full time broadcasting won't commence until September 1st and October 1st (ABC/SBS) and then they are not likely to be at full power!

The frequencies you should see for Kelcey Tier are:

SCTV - 613500 (UHF 40)

TDT - 585500 (UHF 36)

ABC - 648500 (UHF 45)

SBS - 606500 (UHF 39)

WIN - 627500 (UHF 42) - when it starts!

I hope this helps! :P

It'll remain to be seen if we get any co-channel interference between SBS and SCTV on UHF 39 & 40! :blink:

No you won't have any interference between SBS and SCTV, I live on the MNC of NSW and have had SBS on UHF since I got a STB in April last year, and I have had SC10 since it began on 21/9/05 on UHF 38, there hasn't been any interference what so ever between the 2, I also have NBN and ABC, NBN's digital frequency overlaps part of it's analogue frequency, and sure there is a little bit of interference on the analogue frequency, but not the digital frequency, so you don't need to worry about interference between any channels.

Don't know why you lost signal when you swung the antenna towards Launceston? You don't say which side of Kelcey you are on (East or West of) or if your antenna is vertically polarised (needs to be horizontal for Launnie). :blink:

I am East of Kelsey, so Ariel pointing West (not directly).... When I pointed it Eastish towards Launnie, the signal died right away.... I have never been able to pick up ANYTHING digital before... maybe this morning was just perfect weather conditions or something.

The ariel is mounted horizontal I think (if this just means the "fins" of the Antenna are horizontal to the ground)

Why wouldn't i be getting the new ABC channel though??

The ariel does look pretty crap, and the wirring doesn't look too amazing either, but being so close to kelsey i didn't think it would matter, I get a crystal analoge picture from Kelsey.

Why wouldn't i be getting the new ABC channel though??

The ariel does look pretty crap, and the wirring doesn't look too amazing either, but being so close to kelsey i didn't think it would matter, I get a crystal analoge picture from Kelsey.

You answered your own question there mrayner!

For quality digital reception - the antenna has to be of reasonable quality and the cabling pretty spot on! No she'll be right, near enough is good enough here, which is usually the case for analogue! :blink:

You definately wasn't getting those channels from Kelcey Tier - they are definately Launceston (NE Tas) Digital channels. There was no reception of ABC SBS or WIN for the above reason! :P

The ariel is mounted horizontal I think (if this just means the "fins" of the Antenna are horizontal to the ground)

Yes this means the antenna is horizontal - needed this way for Kelcey Tier and Mt Barrow!

Try another scan about mid week at about lunch time - you should get some of the digital channels from Kelcey Tier then. :D

Thanks electronicman69, I'll try the scan mid week and pray :D

But shouldn't I be able to get the ABC channel allready??

As you said previously "ABC advertised today in the local rag that it has commenced Digital TV test transmissions from Kelcey Tier!!! On channel 45!"

Maybe they aren't testing over the weekend or something? I guess I should just wait untill the signals are fully up any running before i go out and buy new cables and antenna :P

It's just a shame that I suck at being patient :blink:

Guest smileydudeuk

Hi there, Sorry I didn't answer straight away.

I am using Power Cinema on my Computer to get digital so I have no idea how to find out the frequencies I got. It doesn't mention anything like that with this programme.

But shouldn't I be able to get the ABC channel allready??

As you said previously "ABC advertised today in the local rag that it has commenced Digital TV test transmissions from Kelcey Tier!!! On channel 45!"

Maybe they aren't testing over the weekend or something? I guess I should just wait untill the signals are fully up any running before i go out and buy new cables and antenna :P

It's just a shame that I suck at being patient :blink:

When they advertise that they are begining digital TV test transmission - it does not mean they are having full time transmission - or full power :P I just means they are about to turn on the transmitter some time soon!! It might not be turned on till next week! It may only be turned on now for half an hour to see if the (transmitting) antenna does not melt! But it does mean it is starting - soon! :D

I guess I should just wait untill the signals are fully up any running before i go out and buy new cables and antenna
- I would too!

Even if ABC/SBS does not come "On Air" until October, SCT and TDT should be running fulltime on September 1 and you will be able to test out your antenna and cabling with them. If thats OK then reception of the other three should be OK! :P

smileydudeuk

Somewhere in your options/setup you should have either the frequency and/or the UHF channel number of the channel you are watching? I am not familiar with Power Cinema so I cannot tell you where to look for them; but they should be there somewhere.

Maybe another forum member who is familiar with this program can post how to look up this info on Power Cinema?