Sign in to follow this  
widescrn

Another LG MW60SZ12 Failure

My MW60 just sits down in the family room, never used anymore since installing a projector in the HT. I turned it on the other day and noticed vertical stripes about 25mm wide across the screen and I think the blue in the bottom right is starting to happen also.

Does anyone know what the procedure for getting rid of these is? I.e. can I take it to the tip a throw it, in all honesty I can't be bothered with going LG since its well beyond any warranty period.

Hey Spearmint. It sounds like you may have reached the point that I pondered about many years ago.

When I first bought my MW60, I wondered if one day in the future, I would see these and other large displays sitting out on the nature strip waiting for council collection (what a sight that would be). Too big for the car boot, and too big to convert into a fishtank.

I wouldn't worry about disposal problems. If you took it to the tip, I reckon someone would snap it up immediately. Even if only to sell some parts (like the lamp).

Thanks Blackman. I would guess that the fan essentially dispurses the warm air that can gather at the rear of the unit. Warm air that might otherwise be re-drawn into the case airvents and gradually increase the overall temperature of the set. I think the manual specifies a minimum 20cm distance from the wall to help reduce the heat build up. I would guess that for many people, this distance would be hard to achieve as the unit already takes up a lot of space.

Yes!

For most i bet they stick it touching the wall, you can't do that as my digital probes proved that closer you got the hotter it got.

Hey Spearmint. It sounds like you may have reached the point that I pondered about many years ago.

When I first bought my MW60, I wondered if one day in the future, I would see these and other large displays sitting out on the nature strip waiting for council collection (what a sight that would be). Too big for the car boot, and too big to convert into a fishtank.

I wouldn't worry about disposal problems. If you took it to the tip, I reckon someone would snap it up immediately. Even if only to sell some parts (like the lamp).

What a pity.

I'll grab a trailer from work one of these weekends and do the deed!

What a pity.

Yes it is, and if I’d known about your fix several thousand hours earlier it might still have been going strong, ah hindsight such a wonderful thing. :rolleyes:

I'll grab a trailer from work one of these weekends and do the deed!

Yes it is, and if I’d known about your fix several thousand hours earlier it might still have been going strong, ah hindsight such a wonderful thing. :rolleyes:

Strange things happen in life as explained about my mates MW60, there is a reason why all of these LG MW60 have died (just about all of them) but not my mates but strange things can sometime kill things and (SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC) this brings me back to the VL Commodore days where the VL Commodore had a 3 LTR Nissan 6cyl engine in it and they were know to crack the cylinder head but yet the same engine was fitted to the Nissan skyline and they had no trouble whatsoever so tell me why would a commodore destroy the cylinder head and the Nissan have no problems. Well it was a minor BOO BOO by Holden see the Commodore's radiator was approx 100 mm lower than the highest part of the cylinder head thus causing air locks to trap air in the head where water should be thus causing overheating in that section and cracking the head. See Nissan's never had this problem as there radiator was above or equal with the top of the Engine while the poor commy you had to place extra effort to remove trapped air otherwise you will be in $$$$ trouble.

Now for the MW 60 most say that it gave a good pic and worked well until it died but if it was a overheating problem which I suspect it was isn't it ridiculous that LG never picked this up. Maybe these tv's were only made for the colder climates by mistake. and isn't it strange that virtually the next model my LG LCoS it runs very cool as the temperature probes that I have fitted feed the 3 Jcar LCD displays tell me.

What a pity they scrapped these 71 inch LCoS sets as the only problem they have EVER had was a audio problem which most LG's with internal HD tuners had which was fixed via a F/W fix.

By the way has anyone on this forum ever had any trouble with one of the LCoS sets?.

What a pity they scrapped these 71 inch LCoS sets as the only problem they have EVER had was a audio problem which most LG's with internal HD tuners had which was fixed via a F/W fix.

By the way has anyone on this forum ever had any trouble with one of the LCoS sets?.

only the sound, as you have mentioned.

needs a retune depending on bad or good weather and then its fine. But I won't bother about a f/w upgrade as all else is good except the cockie :-)

My advise to you is to take both retailer and LG to Small Claims Tribunal. I have my case coming up on the 3rd of July. It's the only way you will get a fair deal. !! By the time your set fails again you wont have a leg to stand on.

Hi can you tell me about how you got the ball rolling and whom you contacted first?

Thanks

Hi,

Every state has a similar version of the small claims tribunal, I’m in QLD and to initiate action all you have to do is fill in a claim form and pay the prescribed fee of $76. You can list up to 2 respondents, in my case I am taking action against both LG and Retailer.

Do a search for the ACCC (Australian Competition and Consumer) web site and read their information on “warranties and refunds”, they spell out what the manufacture and supplier obligations are when it comes to your statutory rights and model all your evidence from that.

All I can say is don’t give in and be prepared to wait. My case was lodged with the courts back in December 2007 and my hearing is on the 3rd July. The Magistrate has ordered that mediation precede the actual court hearing and if that mediation fails then the magistrate will hear all evidence and make a decision.

From what I have been told from other people that have gone through the court system is the magistrate has only been interested in your TV and the fault surrounding that unit, he was not interested in you having to prove that the MW60SZ12 has a design fault that has affected all sets.

Your strongest argument will be that the Mw60sz12 is not of “Merchantable Quality” and secondly that the unit does not “Perform to the standards that one would reasonably expect” a TV in that price range to perform.

Hang in there you deserve better treatment.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Guys

Read all the forum stuff on this unit.

I bought mine in 2003 and moved to England and the units lamp went after 9800 odd hours.

But LG would not send the lamp to me in England so we sent it home and put it into storage.

My son has now moved back to OZ and wants to use the unit but after reading all the stories I am afraid I should just scrap it rather than pay out the 500 odd dollars to replace the Lamp and Ballast.

But knowing my son he will want to try and get the lamp replaced.

BIG PROBLEM we have misplaced the remote control.

SO all those that have mentioned getting rid of their units DOES ANYONE HAVE A SPARE REMOTE FLOATING AROUND.

Any kind persons got a remote for sale

Rick

HI TO ALL I HAVE HAD MY 60" LCD TV REAR PROJECTION UNIT FOR 4 YEARS NOW,BLUE BLOB ARRIVED A FEW MONTHS AGO INFORMED LG CUSTOMER CENTRE,9 PHONE CALLS NO ANSWER TO ANY OF THEM,ANYWAY THEY HAVE REPLACED THE OPTICAL ENGIN IN THE UNIT BROUGHT THE UNIT BACK TO MY HOUSE ,TURNED ON THE TV LET IT WARM UP,AND TO MY SURPRISE THE NEW OPTICAL ENGINE WAS ALSO FAULTY,SO BACK WHENT MY TV,LETTER ARRIVED TODAY SAYING THAT MY TV IS NOT REPAIRABLE SO WOULD I ACCEPT A 62DC1D DLP MODEL WHICH IS A DISCONTINUED UNIT FOR OVER 3 YEARS NOW, AS A REPLACEMENT,ANSWER IS NO WHO WANTS TO GO BACKWARDS ,WILL CALL LG IN MORNING AND SORT SOMETHING OUT OR ITS OF TO THE SMALL CLAIMS,ALL OF THE ABOVE HAS TAKEN OVER 3 MONTHS TO DO, HOPE THIS HELPS ANYONE ELSE BE PATIENT YOU WILL NEED TO BE DEALING WITH LG :rolleyes:

Edited by MAX1

Hi All,

Hopefully people will still read this thread,

I have the MW60SZ12, with approx. 4000hrs on the clock, it looks sh** house, blue all over it, unfortunately, during our interstate move a majority of paper work and manuals etc, were lost, what sort of stuff will LG request when discussing this with them? ie. serial No. receipt?

Whats my best way to approach this? i mean spending this much money on a "supposedly quality" product and having the picture appear like this after 2.5 yrs....

Would really appreciate any advice,

Thanks

Hi All,

Hopefully people will still read this thread,

I have the MW60SZ12, with approx. 4000hrs on the clock, it looks sh** house, blue all over it, unfortunately, during our interstate move a majority of paper work and manuals etc, were lost, what sort of stuff will LG request when discussing this with them? ie. serial No. receipt?

Whats my best way to approach this? i mean spending this much money on a "supposedly quality" product and having the picture appear like this after 2.5 yrs....

Would really appreciate any advice,

Thanks

No receipt and serial number............and you got buckleys.

Many have had their MW60's swapped over for a DLP rear projector and somehow the old MW60's were not destroyed by the service agents - as they were required to be. These units were stripped of their serial numbers so they couldn't be swapped again.

If yours is a genuine case then it should still have the serial number on a silver sticker on the rear of the TV and you can always go back to the retailer and get a copy of the receipt.

THE ONLY REASON LG WERE SWAPPING THE UNITS OVER IS BECAUSE THEY COULD NOT PROVIDE THE SPARE PART REQUIRED FOR REPAIR. THEY ARE NO LONGER SWAPPING THESE UNITS OVER - THE OPTIC ENGINES REQUIRED TO REPAIR THESE UNITS ARE NOW AVAILABLE.

In this case you need to get a quote for repair and assess your options..................or................call LG and express your feelings nicely.......(and demand that they pay for the repair :-)

When we first bought our MW60 we noticed pixels dropping from screen, LG advised on telephone that we didn't have enough missing pixels to justify a warranty claim they never asked or advised us about any other warranty issues at the time for that model TV and it wasn't cheap, it was a very special purchase for us.

Ours then developed a small tinge which has steadily grown. In recent times after reading the forum posts here, I emailed them 3 times as our screen developed a larger blue/green tinge which now just about covers the whole screen.

My BIL changed the bulb thinking that perhaps it was coming up for replacement and might be the problem. We were asked for the serial number which we provided, then told to find a repairer and the receipt. As we have moved to NZ with the TV, LG Australia has told us to contact LG New Zealand, however it doesn't look like NZ ever had the MW60 (not listed on the drop down product menu). But we will keep trying. We ordered the bulb through Harvey Norman NZ.

how is everyone else's unit going? I am right in reading there was some sort of recall on the TV's?