Sign in to follow this  
widescrn

Another LG MW60SZ12 Failure

I have had my LG 60" RPLCD TV for about 3 years. The "blues" first appeared when it was about 18 months old (july 2005) and I contacted LG (I had no knowledge of this forum). They told me that it was "an unusual" problem that they had not experienced before but the set was out of warranty and bad luck! They then suggested that I contact Allison Audio, their service agent in Brookvale (Sydney). They came out and looked at the set, told me that it was an optical engine failure and it would cost $1,000 to repair. Not happy!.. but went ahead anyway.

12 months on in July 2006 I began to notice a pink stain bottom left corner. This got progressively worse so I did some internet research. Bingo DTV forum and all its comments and help. Followed this research with an email, phone call and follow up fax letter to LG in Sydney (including references to this forum and my anger at being lied to) . They called me back within 2 days and were quite helpful. They arranged for Allison Audio to come out and look at the set (at their cost).

When the tech. arrived he was wasn't really interested in looking at anything apart from the fact the TV actually existed and was in the house. I explained the pink stain and offered to go onto a white background screen via my computer input to RGB but he wasn't interested.

Told me that LG policy now is to replace these RPLCD units with a new unit as they cannot be reliably repaired (my new optical engine only lasted 12 months). The customer is normally contacted within a week or so of the assesment and is given a choice of a few models (don't know exactly what but after reading through the forum it appears that they are offering either a 50" plasma or a 62" RPDLP) Whatever is selected is sent to the service agent who delivers it and takes away the old set.

I asked about refunds, either store credits or LG credits that could be used against other models (I am interested in the 71" LCOS) but he wasn't aware of this happening but said that it was worth a try with LG

Considering the set is 3 years old I think that this exchange policy is still very good as long as it actually happens of course. When it comes to the clinch though I am sure I will still have to argue about the $1000 repair bill.

If I have to make a choice between plasma & DLP which is the better set. I looked at a 50" LG plasma in HN up against a similar sized Panasonic set and the LG was not that impressive. Shop are never a good guide as they never take time to set up sets properly but......

Any comments or experiences about replacement sets including the 71" LCOS or my chances of a credit and repair refund would be appreciated

Hi CBEACH.

What model plasma did they supply you as a replacement?

Did they supply you with any additional warranty with this unit?

I had the blues problem and got it fixed on last day of warranty, however i know it is going to happen again or some of the many other problems others have been having.

Thanks,

Hi, I have been reading all the woes about this monitor and I must be blessed. I bought mine from a factory seconds outlet in taren Point backin 2004, just after the Olympics. I have well over 6000hrs on the original lamp and the set is still going strong. Am I living on borrowed time? Can I expect my set to go the way of this "dreaded blues" issue and if so , what recourse do I have? As background info, I run the set from my foxtel digital set, so just about all the viewing is on wide screen.

Well, the fun begins. Perhaps I jinxed myself. I replaced my lamp in September after 6300 Hrs as a precaution as I did not want it blowing over Xmas. The lamp is going fine but I have just only this week noticed the blue line at the botton of the screen. I got the LG service contractors to do the job, so I know I did nothing to bring this on myself.

I think I am up against it as the repair guy did not think I could get mine replaced by LG as I bought from a factory seconds outlet. I am going to give it a go but I hope there is not a lesson here about the pit falls of buying from factory seconds outlets. I don't know what to buy next. Its a bugger as my wife is nearly blind and really needs a big screen so she can watch TV. The LG MW60 really looked like it was the goods.

THe problem you will have is that someone has probably already replaced and essentially "used up" the warranty on that set, and it should have been destroyed rather than put back into circulation.

I too have one of these MW60SZ12 rear projection units, which i purchased as a factory second just over 3 years ago. however just in recent months i have noticed a yellow blemish in the centre to lower portion of the screen, this has since become very noticable in the last three months. In an attept to resolve this, knowing it was 2 years outside warranty, i did a wonderful google search (gotta love google) which led me to this forum, to my surprise this apparently was not an uncommon problem. I started by emailing LG who responded very quickly and said that they would be willing to contribute to the investigation cost providing it was not opurchased as a factory second. i replied back to LG advising that it was a factory second and that i beleived this problem was due to defective parts from factory, and that i would not accept the excuse that it was a factory second as a way to escape there responsibilities, this is a case of (not fit for purpose). They said they would put a repair request through to my local LG agent, who then contacted me and said, without even looking at the tv, LG were going to replace the tv and LG wil contact me to make me an offer.

over all i am quite impressed with the support of LG,, and probably would buy another LG unit.

tomcat

There is another long thread on the MW60 which is still in current use. You can find it HERE! (Currently at page 75!)

Probably best to post in the thread I linked to keep all the info on this unit in one place.

Out of curiosity, how much did you pay for the MW60? Will be interesting to see what they offer you if the price was considerably less than those who purchased it as a first.

Welcome to the MW60 club btw!

I too have one of these MW60SZ12 rear projection units, which i purchased as a factory second just over 3 years ago. however just in recent months i have noticed a yellow blemish in the centre to lower portion of the screen, this has since become very noticable in the last three months. In an attept to resolve this, knowing it was 2 years outside warranty, i did a wonderful google search (gotta love google) which led me to this forum, to my surprise this apparently was not an uncommon problem. I started by emailing LG who responded very quickly and said that they would be willing to contribute to the investigation cost providing it was not opurchased as a factory second. i replied back to LG advising that it was a factory second and that i beleived this problem was due to defective parts from factory, and that i would not accept the excuse that it was a factory second as a way to escape there responsibilities, this is a case of (not fit for purpose). They said they would put a repair request through to my local LG agent, who then contacted me and said, without even looking at the tv, LG were going to replace the tv and LG wil contact me to make me an offer.

over all i am quite impressed with the support of LG,, and probably would buy another LG unit.

Damn, I wish I had tried that. I got the same email response from LG re not covering it if it was a factory second. I still contacted their repairers to request a quote to get it fixed and they would not touch it. Said that LG had taken a hammering and its now Factory Seconds problem. Said to contact the Factory Seconds shop and check with their repairers as they were fixing them for around $1000.00 and that they did some sort of a mod at the same time. I called them, they quoted $906 which included a lamp replacement ($300). As I had just replaced the lamp, it came down to $609. They came out, had it done and dusted in a little over 2 hours and the set is back up and running in its former glorry. The "MOD" they did was quite simple and only time will tell if it works. Most impressive job they did. Must remember that they were only charging $300 for a lamp when the LG techs charged me $450 plus $60 to fit it too. What now though? do I bother harrassing LG to pay the costs of the repair? What happens in 4000 to 6000 hours from now when the problem may resurface. I think I have answered my question. I will chase them for the money, Cheers

Damn, I wish I had tried that. I got the same email response from LG re not covering it if it was a factory second. I still contacted their repairers to request a quote to get it fixed and they would not touch it. Said that LG had taken a hammering and its now Factory Seconds problem. Said to contact the Factory Seconds shop and check with their repairers as they were fixing them for around $1000.00 and that they did some sort of a mod at the same time. I called them, they quoted $906 which included a lamp replacement ($300). As I had just replaced the lamp, it came down to $609. They came out, had it done and dusted in a little over 2 hours and the set is back up and running in its former glorry. The "MOD" they did was quite simple and only time will tell if it works. Most impressive job they did. Must remember that they were only charging $300 for a lamp when the LG techs charged me $450 plus $60 to fit it too. What now though? do I bother harrassing LG to pay the costs of the repair? What happens in 4000 to 6000 hours from now when the problem may resurface. I think I have answered my question. I will chase them for the money, Cheers

Hi Hobbit,

It's like this, you have paid for something and now trying to seek reimbursement for cost. i think you should start acting asap as they may get you on the grounds of fair wear and tear. i work in the automotive industry and have to deal with these sort of complaint all the time. the approach you need to take is (product not fit for purpose) meaning this item should realisticaly last say 10years, but fails in 3. the product has not lived to expectation and therefore you stil have legal rights against the manufacturer, in the automotive world we are stil doing warranty workon cars that warranty has long expired on these grounds, so definately give it a go. i i had a missed call on friday from LG who were calling to discuss some sort of offer, i will let you know how i go when i get a response. Just one other thing, during all of my dealings with LG i have never made any demands or requests as after all my unit is 2 years outside warranty, it was them that told me thay would compensate me, all i did was told them my problem, i think they are well aware of this issue now and are offering replacements to save themselves problems.

Tomcat.

tomcat

There is another long thread on the MW60 which is still in current use. You can find it HERE! (Currently at page 75!)

Probably best to post in the thread I linked to keep all the info on this unit in one place.

Out of curiosity, how much did you pay for the MW60? Will be interesting to see what they offer you if the price was considerably less than those who purchased it as a first.

Welcome to the MW60 club btw!

Hi Fokker70,

i puchased my unit from a factory seconds outlet in jan 04 for a little under $8000, the only thing that made this a second is there was a tear in one side of the box, like a pallet had scraped it during warehousing, the unit remained totaly unmarked, they do come hevily protected by foam and plastic. i wil let you know how i go after i return their call on monday about an offer.

Howdy all

I have a LG MW60SZ12 Television that I purchased in 13/10/03 from Harvey Norman in Canberra (I am now in Perth). I stupidly did not purchase an extended warranty, I assumed I would get 10+ years as per my previous televisions. Then recently the problems started:

The screen started to go "Yellow and Green", with a blue spot about 4-6 inches in diameter at the bottom centre of the screen, the problem has happened gradually over the last 12 months. I have tried the inbuilt colour controls to correct this to no effect. Now everone who visits and sees the screen is taken aback at the discolouration of the screen, and its getting to the point where we are considering getting rid of it as its a $10,000.00 TV that is next to useless.

Does anyone believe I have a case for going back to LG even though the unit is 2 1/2 years out of warranty. It certainly appears that there are inherent problems with the unit given this thread. Appreciate any advice on the best way ahead.

Cheers

Mick

Howdy all

I have a LG MW60SZ12 Television that I purchased in 13/10/03 from Harvey Norman in Canberra (I am now in Perth). I stupidly did not purchase an extended warranty, I assumed I would get 10+ years as per my previous televisions. Then recently the problems started:

The screen started to go "Yellow and Green", with a blue spot about 4-6 inches in diameter at the bottom centre of the screen, the problem has happened gradually over the last 12 months. I have tried the inbuilt colour controls to correct this to no effect. Now everone who visits and sees the screen is taken aback at the discolouration of the screen, and its getting to the point where we are considering getting rid of it as its a $10,000.00 TV that is next to useless.

Does anyone believe I have a case for going back to LG even though the unit is 2 1/2 years out of warranty. It certainly appears that there are inherent problems with the unit given this thread. Appreciate any advice on the best way ahead.

Cheers

Mick

Hi Mick,

I too bought one of these units in feb 04 and got the same discolourations as you have just described. i have spoken to lg about it and are going to refund me a portion of what i paid, estimated current value.

i bought mine from a seconds outlet and they tried to use this against me, you are lucky you found this site as this was my amunition to fight for what was right. contact them first through the (contact us form) on the lg webside and that will get the ball rolling, they respond very quickly and you should have this resolved within 2-3 weeks. , they will first give you options of tv's to replace it with but they are ususaly not too good, persist and demand more and they will do better as i found out, refund is usualy last option. i estimate you could get back approx $4000-$4500.

good luck and let me know how you go....

P.S i did contact the dept of fair trading (i know somebody) and was told that with the offer they gave me was going beyond their legal requirements.

Howdy all

Cheers

Mick

Ialso have a MW60SZ12 i have had no problems with colour mine just will not switch on now. I have a local guy coming out tonight to take a look. The red warning light is flashing on the front and manual says this is problem in or around the lamp. Not sure exactly on how many hours it has done as i cant switch it on. Will see what he thinks but by the sound of it i will be calling LG tommorrow.

Ialso have a MW60SZ12 i have had no problems with colour mine just will not switch on now. I have a local guy coming out tonight to take a look. The red warning light is flashing on the front and manual says this is problem in or around the lamp. Not sure exactly on how many hours it has done as i cant switch it on. Will see what he thinks but by the sound of it i will be calling LG tommorrow.

This was a common issue with the set. Can't remember specifics but some component craps itself and it's just a matter of getting a replacement. Several MW60's had this issue and were fixed easily. Nothing to do with the lamp unless your problem is somehow unique.

The optical engine itself is certain to die given enough time. See how many hours you have done when your problem is fixed.

This was a common issue with the set. Can't remember specifics but some component craps itself and it's just a matter of getting a replacement. Several MW60's had this issue and were fixed easily. Nothing to do with the lamp unless your problem is somehow unique.

The optical engine itself is certain to die given enough time. See how many hours you have done when your problem is fixed.

Hi Gents,

Rhiannon, from LG, again, yes this optical has failed, however, we can fix it, it has been re-worked and it is performing brilliantly. If you have any questons please contact 1800 643 156 and ask for Browngods.

Thanks

Rhiannon

Details have been emailed to you again yesterday morning and forum updated to advise, still no response from you or one of your delegates.

If this was the way I treated my clients, I would be out of a job, sorry this is totally unacceptable.

How may advertising $$$ does it take to repair the brand....

For any of you experiencing problems in NSW this may be interesting reading, I am sure that there will also be similar for the other states.

It is best to know your rights also get everything in writing and never defame the entity you have a gripe with.

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/shopping...ndsrepairs.html

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/corporat...orbusiness.html

http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/fullhtml...+1923+FIRST+0+N

http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/3863

Have a nice day!

I've got a 60 inch DLP LG tv.

After not having any issues for 24 mths I've run into a problem I'm after opinions on. As of last week I can't view any HD channels from the inbuilt HD digital tuner. Actually I can't view almost all of the SD channels either. A "No Signal" message is displayed instead of the channel that has been selected.

For some reason I can view the SD version of channel 7 via the inbuilt tuner but if I change to any other channel (say to SD Ch9) it will come up as "No Signal" and

then if I try to go back to ch7 it won't appear. If I switch the tv off and then back on again ch7 will appear but the same problem persists.

I checked signal strength and it seemed OK although it had dropped slightly, I turned the tv's "Booster" feature on which brought the level back to where it has been.

I have a Philips 400gb DVD recorder and have the antenna passing thru this device. The SD channels from the digital tuner from the DVDR and Foxtel which I have connected via the DVDR both display without an issue. Playing DVDs works fine.

I tried connecting the antenna directly into the tv to no avail. I've tried unplugging the tv at the wall without success.

Any thoughts on what I could try or any LG owners of this tv had this problem?

hi i have just been reading all your problems regarding the lg mw60sz12 i have 1 i bought in sept 2003 it has about 3800hrs on i noticed a couple of months ago about the blue haze in the bottom corners of the screen i thought that i would have to live with this then i found this forum so i rang lg on 1800643156 and they organized a local electronics company to come out and inspect it which they did and i was told by them that the optical engine needed replacing and they would let lg know that was on the 9th july .i have just received a letter from lg on the 26th july regarding this and they have given me 3 options 1, get the tv repaired 2, they offered me a brand new rear projection tv model no 62DCID or 3 ,a smaller plasma 59PCID i do not have extended warranty so l was surprised that lg have offered to help me with this problem i know that the value of these tvs are less than what i paid for mine i originally as i paid $7950.00 and the rrp of the large on is only$3990 but as with everything electronic the prices always depriciate and they get cheaper when i first looked at buying this tv 4 months earlier they were $11000 i hope this helps with other people with this model out there i havent made my mind up about which tv yet but i won't be getting mine fixed who knows how long it is going to last with some of the other problems that are happening Thanks again to LG for helpin me manfred

hi i have just been reading all your problems regarding the lg mw60sz12 i have 1 i bought in sept 2003 it has about 3800hrs on i noticed a couple of months ago about the blue haze in the bottom corners of the screen i thought that i would have to live with this then i found this forum so i rang lg on 1800643156 and they organized a local electronics company to come out and inspect it which they did and i was told by them that the optical engine needed replacing and they would let lg know that was on the 9th july .i have just received a letter from lg on the 26th july regarding this and they have given me 3 options 1, get the tv repaired 2, they offered me a brand new rear projection tv model no 62DCID or 3 ,a smaller plasma 59PCID i do not have extended warranty so l was surprised that lg have offered to help me with this problem i know that the value of these tvs are less than what i paid for mine i originally as i paid $7950.00 and the rrp of the large on is only$3990 but as with everything electronic the prices always depriciate and they get cheaper when i first looked at buying this tv 4 months earlier they were $11000 i hope this helps with other people with this model out there i havent made my mind up about which tv yet but i won't be getting mine fixed who knows how long it is going to last with some of the other problems that are happening Thanks again to LG for helpin me manfred

Hi Manfred,

Did they take your old unit away?

I had this problem 1 year ago and on the last day of warranty they replaced one of the LCD chips with one that had a heatsink on it telling me that it was due to this particular LCD being the closest to the Lamp and it heating the glue up and causing the lifting.

I was told this would never happen again, however exactly 11 months later it has started to do it again, however as of 1 day ago I now have the red lamp light flashing indicating a problem with or around the lamp.

I am extremely disappointed with this TV, however when functioning is fantastic.

I'm hoping that LG will do the honerable thing and replace this unit considering the cost of these in the first place. I also have a $6000 LG fridge and $1500 LG washer dryer, so I hope that I won't have further disappointments with their products.

Hi All,

well, I am just going through this forum, and have discovered that I am not alone (as I thought I was). I also purchased a LG MW60 in September 2004, and have started to get a blue haze appearing at the bottom right of my screen. I phoned the LG 1800 number and they are sendng out a service man to access what is wrong. I di however ask about what would happen if it was the optical engine that needed to be replaced. He said that LG have started manufacturing the part............but I would have to pay for the repair as the tv is now out of warranty. I told him that I didn't want this to turn into a sh#t fight, but the thing has only done around 3500 hours..................PLEASE. if you can give me any advice, I would be very grateful........you can emailme direct at dave.gw@hotmail.com

thanks David

Hi............thankyou to those who sent me an email with advice on getting something happening with my MW60. After a service agent visit and a couple of calls to LG, they are organising a new optical engine and labour, at no cost. Sort of an anti climax really, as from what I have read in this forum, I was expecting that I would have a fight on my hands. I guess I am happy with the outcome as I do like my MW60 and didn't really want to see it go. I just hope that in 3 years time the same part doesn't fail again. Can I ask if anyone has had their optical engine replaced once before and has failed the second time around? Would be interesting as the guy from LG asured me that it would not happen again.

Anyway once again, thankyou to all those that helped me out with some great advice (Andrew in particular)

So now I guess I just have to wait for the service agent to come and pick up my tv for repair.

Cheers Dave

Edited by Dave.gw

Can I ask if anyone has had their optical engine replaced once before and has failed the second time around?

Cheers Dave

Check the other MW60 thread.

Engines have been replaced and failed again.

I am quite certain I have not read a post of anyone with a successful second engine doing 3,000+ hours and still going strong.

I'm sure they told you these latest engines are perfect. Thats what they told people with other replacement engines that failed.

Tell them you want some form of decent warranty with the engine.

In 3 years time if you have a second failure (I know where my money is) your bargaining power for a fair outcome will be less than what it is now.

Edited by Fokker70

Most welcome Dave... that's what this forum is all about.

Cheers, Andrew. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have the same model TV MW-60SZ12, maybe someone would be kind enough to help with a question I have. The Horizontal and Vertical adjustment in the menu is greyed out an hence is not adjustable do I have a problem or should this function work.

Thanks in advance

Regards

John L

Hi All,

well well. After reading these forums regarding LG's service (or lack of), I now have my own first hand experience. I have made 7 phone calls chasing my replacement optical engine for my MW60. On the last call Friday, I spoke to a feelow called Patrick who is the MW60 expert (apparently). I mentioned to him that I still had not been contacted by the service agent to come and collect my set for repair. I also mentioned to him that I had been advised on this forum, that the replacement optical engine may not be the best solution, and asked would it fail again in another 3000 hours. Patricks response was "well LG are just a phone call away. I felt that I was steamrolled a little.

my details to a great site called "notgoodenough.com". They have asked if I would be prepared to go to the media if they requested, of which I don't have an issue.

It's sad really that it comes to this. When you spend your hard earned, you expect a little better.

Cheers Dave

Edited by Dave.gw