Another LG MW60SZ12 Failure

Hi All,

well well. After reading these forums regarding LG's service (or lack of), I now have my own first hand experience. I have made 7 phone calls chasing my replacement optical engine for my MW60. On the last call Friday, I spoke to a feelow called Patrick who is the MW60 expert (apparently). I mentioned to him that I still had not been contacted by the service agent to come and collect my set for repair. I also mentioned to him that I had been advised on this forum, that the replacement optical engine may not be the best solution, and asked would it fail again in another 3000 hours. Patricks response was "well LG are just a phone call away. I felt that I was steamrolled a little.

my details to a great site called "notgoodenough.com". They have asked if I would be prepared to go to the media if they requested, of which I don't have an issue.

It's sad really that it comes to this. When you spend your hard earned, you expect a little better.

Cheers Dave

My friend has one of these sets and the Engine has died and was replaced. Mind you I have a LG of different Technology but on a different note his friend has one over 18,000 hrs on the clock and has never missed a beat! What I noticed he has a 200 mm ceiling fan behind the tv into the garage , he reversed the stator so it blow inside instead of sucking and fitted a 3 speed controller and bought a Jay Car duel channel digital temp prob and one prob was located next to the engine Ohhhhh it was running around 65 deg on a 26 deg room temp but with the fan blowing in the rear with a filter on the garage side on the slowest speed the temp never went over 42 Deg, Hello LG are you reading this. Mind you he also got value out of his lamps..

I have a Identical system for my LG LCos at room temp the other day of 30 deg the engine and lamp fan get up to 60 deg and 50 deg but with the fan its 50 deg and around 37 for the lamp fan exhaust, Rember I said Room temperature was 30 deg now thats warm.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok........another week goes by. The LG service agent came out to pick my MW60 up and take it back to the shop to replace the optic engine (at no cost). They then returned it two days later, plugged it in and low and behold......my blue haze moved from the corner, to dead smack in the middle of the set. The new and improved optical engine failed after around 1 minute of use. I will not get into the events of what has happened over the last few days, just in case it someone is considering a job with LG.........but after several phonecalls they have offered me a replacement for my MW60. Can anyone tell me what the 62DC1D 62 inch DPL rear projection is like? They are asking me to accept this, but I can not physically see this machine anywhere......so I have no idea what it's like, what is the quality of DPL is as opposed to what I have now (LCD)..........appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip. Well my saga has come to an end and I reluctantly accepted a 50 inch plasma with a built in hard drive. It arrived the other day and looks ok (but rather small compared to my MW60). Now for my next question to all you DTV experts out there.

I am currently looking at the picture quality from running a DVD and rather dissappointed. I am running a yamaha reciever and dvd player which is around 5 years old. Obviously not the latest and greatest but 5 years ago it cost me an arm and a leg. I also have Foxtel hooked up through AV1.......the dvd is AV2 with an Svideo cable. Any suggestions on how to improve the picture quality of my dvd player. I am not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to this.

Cheers Dave

ps I only have the red, yellow and white outlets on the back of my DVD player (yes I know I am technologically challenged)

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like all the MW60's have suffered the same fate. My MW60 is now gone through it's 3rd optical engine and 2nd power PCB supply. I have just written to LG and I am very surprised with the speed at which they have replied. I am still waiting for confirmation that a serviceman is on his way. Given what I have read do you think I have a strong case?. I bought the set back in mid 2003, the set first failed at 2300 hrs( LG supplied parts but I had to pay Labour). Set failed again around 2000 hrs, I paid for new optical engine and labour!!. Yes you guessed it at around 2500 hrs the set has failed again with the blue haze appearing on the left bottom of screen but is now extending all the way to the top left. I too paid $9999.00 for an LCD that will only last 2500 hrs before failure. So far LG have impressed me with their fast response to my initial email, I hope they continue to be helpful. I will keep you informed as LG provide solutions.

Looks like all the MW60's have suffered the same fate. My MW60 is now gone through it's 3rd optical engine and 2nd power PCB supply. I have just written to LG and I am very surprised with the speed at which they have replied. I am still waiting for confirmation that a serviceman is on his way. Given what I have read do you think I have a strong case?. I bought the set back in mid 2003, the set first failed at 2300 hrs( LG supplied parts but I had to pay Labour). Set failed again around 2000 hrs, I paid for new optical engine and labour!!. Yes you guessed it at around 2500 hrs the set has failed again with the blue haze appearing on the left bottom of screen but is now extending all the way to the top left. I too paid $9999.00 for an LCD that will only last 2500 hrs before failure. So far LG have impressed me with their fast response to my initial email, I hope they continue to be helpful. I will keep you informed as LG provide solutions.

I still think this problem with the MW60 is heat related, they run to hot!! My mate's friend has one and its still going strong ever since he added a ceiling fan with filter behind it to keep the temp's down.

They are fast and helpful because YOU are the one paying everything!

Under 3,000 hours before failure of a $10,000 set and getting the customer to foot the bill is disgraceful!

Full refund is what they should be giving you along with a letter of apology for producing cr*p and repeatedly palming it off to you.

You will likely find the helpfullness fades away when you ask for something you deserve from them.

Edited by Fokker70

They are fast and helpful because YOU are the one paying everything!

Under 3,000 hours before failure of a $10,000 set and getting the customer to foot the bill is disgraceful!

Full refund is what they should be giving you along with a letter of apology for producing cr*p and repeatedly palming it off to you.

You will likely find the helpfullness fades away when you ask for something you deserve from them.

There will be no ore money spent on this set by me!. I would certainly expect LG will do the honorable thing and offer a replacement set. I will certainly push for a refund but don't like my chances. This is one issue I will push till death.

• 2 weeks later...
There will be no ore money spent on this set by me!. I would certainly expect LG will do the honorable thing and offer a replacement set. I will certainly push for a refund but don't like my chances. This is one issue I will push till death.

Hi Pete, I have seven words for you which may help......New South Wales Office OF Fair Trading (ph 133220) They know about the problem with these sets and LG know they know. I can't believe you have been made to pay a single cent to have your dodgy set fixed.

Guest Pete01
Hi Pete, I have seven words for you which may help......New South Wales Office OF Fair Trading (ph 133220) They know about the problem with these sets and LG know they know. I can't believe you have been made to pay a single cent to have your dodgy set fixed.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the TIP mate, LG have offered to replace the set with the 62 DLP model. I have rejected the offer and have asked for a refund or store credit due to the massive price difference between what I paid and what the 62 DLP is worth. Not to mention the problems that have been reported with the DLP’s in general. So far I have found the customer service has been great, will wait and see what happens next.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the TIP mate, LG have offered to replace the set with the 62 DLP model. I have rejected the offer and have asked for a refund or store credit due to the massive price difference between what I paid and what the 62 DLP is worth. Not to mention the problems that have been reported with the DLP’s in general. So far I have found the customer service has been great, will wait and see what happens next.

Hi Pete

This is a copy of my post on the "Lg 152 Cm Lcd Rpj Monitor" thread. You may find it useful.

"Hi All

The VCAT hearing went well and the matter was settled by consent.

Prior to the hearing I was offered a 60” plasma as a replacement but I said I wanted a pro rata store credit and that is what we (LG, retailer and me) eventually agreed after some negotiation on the day.

I am satisfied with the outcome but I wouldn’t necessarily regard it as a ‘win’; it is simply what every consumer is entitled to in these circumstances and it is a pity we are not as aware as we should be of our legal rights.

Included in this group is a person at Consumer Affairs who encouraged acceptance of the original offer (repair or 50” plasma) as the other side were ‘going beyond their statutory obligations’. This is clearly incorrect but rather than debate the point I just told them to close the file. I think we can draw our own conclusions about why this happens but it’s disappointing isn’t it?

IMHO buyers should ensure they deal with the retailer who sold the goods since they have primary responsibility for ‘lemons’. Don’t be distracted by attempts to get you to deal solely with the manufacturer but join them both in any consumer action so all parties get to the table for negotiation. The retailer and the manufacturer can then get their heads together and work something out – they have an ongoing relationship to maintain and showing up at the tribunal for a couple of hours tends to focus their minds on minimising costs.

Interested parties looking for a good summary on consumer rights should look up the McKenzie Jr post on 21 December 2006 in this thread.

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=34908&hl=

I wish all other ‘blues’ sufferers well in obtaining whatever settlement suits their circumstances."

Incidentally, my matter took about five months from go to whoa so you will need to be patient and assertive.

Good luck.

Baggiez

Guest billylovenemo

Hi Have read all the pages in this forum and hope you guys can help. Firstly sorry to all you guys who paid huge amounts of money to purchase these TV's.

A friend of ours had the same problem and LG refunded his money and said they would pick up the old TV. He got the cheque but they never came to pick up the old one. He gave it to me - Us knowing that it could get worse at any point in time - which it now has.

I love the TV and happy to pay to get it repaired - Do I ring LG and ask to buy the part? does anybody know of anyone who can repair them?

Also the other problem we have encountered latley is a weak signal and then the screen goes blue saying no signal? is this another problem or linked to the optical engine?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Have read all the pages in this forum and hope you guys can help. Firstly sorry to all you guys who paid huge amounts of money to purchase these TV's.

A friend of ours had the same problem and LG refunded his money and said they would pick up the old TV. He got the cheque but they never came to pick up the old one. He gave it to me - Us knowing that it could get worse at any point in time - which it now has.

I love the TV and happy to pay to get it repaired - Do I ring LG and ask to buy the part? does anybody know of anyone who can repair them?

Also the other problem we have encountered latley is a weak signal and then the screen goes blue saying no signal? is this another problem or linked to the optical engine?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Billy,

sounds like your friend hit the jackpot. I am guessing that if you called LG and they sent a service agent out, they would soon recognise what has gone on, as the first thing they ask you for is the serial number. I don't think they will send out a service agent without the number. My suggestion is that you contact a tv repairer out of the yellow pages and pay for them to repair the set. Be aware though, that the replacement optical engine may and probably will, only last you around 3000hrs, and I believe it will set you back approximately 800 big ones. They are a great set, and I actually miss mine (I recieved a replacement 50 inch plasma)........but at the end of the day, it will probably end up costing you a small fortune to keep it going.

PS I heard they make a great artificial reef.............if you can get a big enough boat to get it out in the ocean.

Good Luck

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

:excl:

After a total of 4 letters and 3 phone calls LG refuse to acknowledge my existence.

I to have suffered repeated optical engine failures coupled with power supply failures. I will commence litigation through the ‘Queensland Small Claims Tribunal” seeking compensation resulting from the failure of the MW60SZ12 big blue lava lamp. Has anyone else chosen this path of litigation?. Costs involved in brining LGE in front of the hearing are minimal. All hearings are presided over by a Magistrate and all decisions are binding. Will keep you informed……..

• 1 month later...
hi i brought one of these LG MW-60SZ12 off ebay it was working good when i got it but now its the bue thing what can i do please can some one help

Looks like i am another sucker who bought this model mw-60sz12 off ebay worked great for the first 3500hrs and now the big blue blob is overtaking the screen sounds like these models had already been repaired and flogged off to some company to sell on ebay have just emailed LG about the problem i will let you know the outcome but not hopeing for to much though but you can only try seems to me the company should of had a recall years ago and stop selling the lemons

Ken

Looks like i am another sucker who bought this model mw-60sz12 off ebay worked great for the first 3500hrs and now the big blue blob is overtaking the screen sounds like these models had already been repaired and flogged off to some company to sell on ebay have just emailed LG about the problem i will let you know the outcome but not hopeing for to much though but you can only try seems to me the company should of had a recall years ago and stop selling the lemons

Ken

And just think some of the early people that had these tv's that failed complained that much that Lg gave them as a replacement a 70 inch LG LCoS tv, I bet that was the best thing that ever happened to those customers. I think there is a few of them on this forum that got this deal. As for the MW60 what a shocker they were but like I said on another post I have a mate that has one and has now over 20,000 hrs on it and he suspected that the Light engine ran a little weeee to hot from new so I made for him a cooling fan system using a 200mm ceiling fan in the wall (Through garage) directly behind the TV, I pulled the fan apart and reversed the stator to reverse the motor as I wanted it to blow air in from the Garage not suck the air out of the TV as this made the TV run hotter so what we have is as fan behind the TV with a filter at the garage end the fan is controlled by a Jacar digital room thermostat set at 20 deg C a Derwent thermostat made specially for me from Dewent (40DegC) fitted inside the TV on the lamp heatsink and what we have is a MW60 that has never blown up, that starts and when the heatsink gets above 40Deg C the contact closes and if the Room thermostat is above 20 deg C the fan will start.

I first tested his LG MW 60 after he complained he smelt something burning (Cockroach and I measured the temp inside the unit at different locations ( Infra Red) and found it was hanging around the 70 Deg mark on a 28 Deg day.

I have the identical set up on my LCos TV + my sound amplifiers + my Satellite decoders ( Derwent thermostats fitted on heatsink or in cabinet of amp and once hot the 100MM cabinet fans start) mine a little bit more complicated and automatic as I am old and have a habit of forgetting things ( switching fans on manually)

Now why has my mates LG MW 60 lasted this long, It must be a LG RECORD!!! plus he has got good mileage on his lamps too.

Edited by Blackman

And just think some of the early people that had these tv's that failed complained that much that Lg gave them as a replacement a 70 inch LG LCoS tv, I bet that was the best thing that ever happened to those customers. I think there is a few of them on this forum that got this deal. As for the MW60 what a shocker they were but like I said on another post I have a mate that has one and has now over 20,000 hrs on it and he suspected that the Light engine ran a little weeee to hot from new so I made for him a cooling fan system using a 200mm ceiling fan in the wall (Through garage) directly behind the TV, I pulled the fan apart and reversed the stator to reverse the motor as I wanted it to blow air in from the Garage not suck the air out of the TV as this made the TV run hotter so what we have is as fan behind the TV with a filter at the garage end the fan is controlled by a Jacar digital room thermostat set at 20 deg C a Derwent thermostat made specially for me from Dewent (40DegC) fitted inside the TV on the lamp heatsink and what we have is a MW60 that has never blown up, that starts and when the heatsink gets above 40Deg C the contact closes and if the Room thermostat is above 20 deg C the fan will start.

I first tested his LG MW 60 after he complained he smelt something burning (Cockroach and I measured the temp inside the unit at different locations ( Infra Red) and found it was hanging around the 70 Deg mark on a 28 Deg day.

I have the identical set up on my LCos TV + my sound amplifiers + my Satellite decoders ( Derwent thermostats fitted on heatsink or in cabinet of amp and once hot the 100MM cabinet fans start) mine a little bit more complicated and automatic as I am old and have a habit of forgetting things ( switching fans on manually)

Now why has my mates LG MW 60 lasted this long, It must be a LG RECORD!!! plus he has got good mileage on his lamps too.

MW 60 Update!

21,420hrs and still going strong, the fan in the wall is starting to get noisy time for a replace. By the way I forgot to put in the above post that the 200mm cooling fan is speed controlled and runs always on its slowest setting. Mine is the same.

MW 60 Update!

21,420hrs and still going strong, the fan in the wall is starting to get noisy time for a replace. By the way I forgot to put in the above post that the 200mm cooling fan is speed controlled and runs always on its slowest setting. Mine is the same.

Hmmm, sounds like we might be able to establish a "cooling mod" for this display to help people fend off the blues.

Can you post some photos?

Perhaps a simple rule is, never use the set if the room temp is > 28deg.

Perhaps we could cut a hole in the case and attach an extra fan to blow air into the unit (what about the dust tho?), or perhaps can just add an additional fan at the fan grill in the rear to draw more air through the unit.

Hmmm, sounds like we might be able to establish a "cooling mod" for this display to help people fend off the blues.

Can you post some photos?

Perhaps a simple rule is, never use the set if the room temp is > 28deg.

Perhaps we could cut a hole in the case and attach an extra fan to blow air into the unit (what about the dust tho?), or perhaps can just add an additional fan at the fan grill in the rear to draw more air through the unit.

The trouble is even on a 26 Deg day it still ran hot. Its shows you the difference between the LG mw60 and my LcoS that runs as cold as a ???? ????.

I have slightly change it since this photo, The thermostat is higher and to the right. Notice batteries, well they will last 2 years not like the AAA's Dust filter is on the other side of the fan so no dist is drawn and blown on the rear of the TV. It also has a 3 speed fan control but I only use the slowest speed because thats all thats needed

http://www.geocities.com/monaro_club/LGRearFan.jpg

Edited by Blackman

My MW60 just sits down in the family room, never used anymore since installing a projector in the HT. I turned it on the other day and noticed vertical stripes about 25mm wide across the screen and I think the blue in the bottom right is starting to happen also.

Does anyone know what the procedure for getting rid of these is? I.e. can I take it to the tip a throw it, in all honesty I can't be bothered with going LG since its well beyond any warranty period.

The trouble is even on a 26 Deg day it still ran hot. Its shows you the difference between the LG mw60 and my LcoS that runs as cold as a ???? ????.

I have slightly change it since this photo, The thermostat is higher and to the right. Notice batteries, well they will last 2 years not like the AAA's Dust filter is on the other side of the fan so no dist is drawn and blown on the rear of the TV. It also has a 3 speed fan control but I only use the slowest speed because thats all thats needed

http://www.geocities.com/monaro_club/LGRearFan.jpg

Thanks Blackman. I would guess that the fan essentially dispurses the warm air that can gather at the rear of the unit. Warm air that might otherwise be re-drawn into the case airvents and gradually increase the overall temperature of the set. I think the manual specifies a minimum 20cm distance from the wall to help reduce the heat build up. I would guess that for many people, this distance would be hard to achieve as the unit already takes up a lot of space.