Another LG MW60SZ12 Failure

Hi all,

As you can see I am new to this forum so I would firstly like to say G'day.

I have a 60" LG Rear Projection LCD with the same old blue haze problem that I have been reading about on these forums.

After being told it would cost me about $1300.00 to get it fixed (by my local serviceman) I thought I would ask how any of you guys went getting LG to pay.

My set is 18 months old and has about 4000 hour on it. Sounds familiar doesn't it. I really scraped to buy this unit and can't believe i'm now up for this kind of money to get it going properly again.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shine on this frustrating problem.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe by rights LG are required to -

repair,

replace or

refund.

Get on to them and ride them hard. Don't give up.

I think the last I read here is that they are replacing with more recent models.

Be ready to contact your state's consumer body and read up on this forum and get yourself well equipped with info. And, keep in touch!

I will do that. So far I have sent one e-mail to LG about a week ago and it no surprise that I didn't get a reply.

The local service agent has told me he will look into it tomorrow. He seemed to know what was going on but was holding his cards close to his chest. After reading some posts here I now know what he was eluding to. If I have no joy from him I will ring LG direct.

phone calls and faxes!!

I will do that.  So far I have sent one e-mail to LG about a week ago and it no surprise that I didn't get a reply. 

The local service agent has told me he will look into it tomorrow.  He seemed to know what was going on but was holding his cards close to his chest.  After reading some posts here I now know what he was eluding to.  If I have no joy from him I will ring LG direct.

• 7 months later...

Hi guys,

just been reading up on all the info about nightmare Lg MW60SZ12. Good news that I can get rid of it.

I'm going to try for a cash refund as I paid $11000-00 for it back in April 2003.

Has anyone had success with getting a full refund??? Does anyone know what the replacement TV is worth?

They actually agreed to cover repairs after out of date warranty, thats surprising but great out of goodwill. You should of covered urself with extended warranty insurance if you were forking out that kinda money.

Mine was six months out of warranty, and I recieved a full credit.

I suggest the thread starter does the same.

Refer to the very informative LG 152cm thread for everything.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi guys,

just been reading up on all the info about nightmare Lg MW60SZ12. Good news that I can get rid of it.

I'm going to try for a cash refund as I paid $11000-00 for it back in April 2003.

Has anyone had success with getting a full refund??? Does anyone know what the replacement TV is worth?

Edited by digtv

Hi

Just picked you out of the bunch of people with my problem to see how your problem is going so far Iam having my MW 60SZ12 Monster being picked up tomorow for the big check up the blue down the bottom Red and Green lights flashing and no signal and it is out of warranty but LG said they will check it under Waranty they will not replace or refund now as apparently they have new Engines Etc. so we will see in a week or so what happens. I should have bought a Plasma in the first place. I think or rather going by others I will be having some sleepless nights and a high phone bill to come.

Is there a Legal Person out there willing to take this on as a CLASS ACTION. With the ENGINE FAILURE, LOW LAMP LIFE, I mean to say a $10.000 Investment and it dies in 2 Years or less, come on LG you need to play the game or suffer the brunt of all Purchasers of this DUD. At least give us the 10.000 Hrs lamp life or more and do you realise that is $1.00 per Hour Viewing time but some only last 5.000 hrs and less that is more than $2.00 per Hrs

Good luck

Edited by digtv

Blurytwo, has your set failed, or are you seeking a replacement refund ahead of a failure?

I reckon LG should bite the bullet and realise that eventually every set is gonna come back to haunt them.

good to see you still around Smoothchat.

In regards to seeking a replacemnet/refund from LG ahead of failure, I tried that about 2 years ago when we were first aware of the 'blue'.

I'm at 3800 hrs now. My concern is if a failure how will the extended insurance deal with it. If not a failure, whats the longevity of this thing going to be?

Its cleanup up week this week. Am I brave enough to see if theres any thrown out plasmas & rpLCD out there tonite?

Blurytwo, has your set failed, or are you seeking a replacement refund ahead of a failure?

I reckon LG should bite the bullet and realise that eventually every set is gonna come back to haunt them.

good to see you still around Smoothchat.

In regards to seeking a replacemnet/refund from LG ahead of failure, I tried that about 2 years ago when we were first aware of the 'blue'.

I'm at 3800 hrs now. My concern is if a failure how will the extended insurance deal with it. If not a failure, whats the longevity of this thing going to be?

Its cleanup up week this week. Am I brave enough to see if theres any thrown out plasmas & rpLCD out there tonite?

Hello Ted, yeah I remember thinking years ago what it would be like in 15 years time with all these massive old and by then, outdated displays (LG, Samsung, Wega) sitting on the nature strip waiting to be picked up. My forward projection sees another 10 years (two * 2hr movies a week * 52 * 10 = 2080 + 1225 so far ) before the blues problem hits. I'm loath to use it much because I know the blues will hit one day. I suspect that an LCOS might arrive before then or perhaps a VW-100 Projector.

I still love this set tho.

Even if the blacks don't stack up against the new displays these days.

It still wows the visitors when I remove the black bedsheet cover my wife made for it . I've never had to touch or clean the screen in nearly 4 years because it is protected by the cover.

The dust protection is particularly important, I hope that the cover might help extend my blues free life, even if only a little.

• 1 month later...
Hi

Just picked you out of the bunch of people with my problem to see how your problem is going so far Iam having my MW 60SZ12 Monster being picked up tomorow for the big check up the blue down the bottom Red and Green lights flashing and no signal and it is out of warranty but LG said they will check it under Waranty they will not replace or refund now as apparently they have new Engines Etc. so we will see in a week or so what happens. I should have bought a Plasma in the first place. I think or rather going by others I will be having some sleepless nights and a high phone bill to come.

Is there a Legal Person out there willing to take this on as a CLASS ACTION. With the ENGINE FAILURE, LOW LAMP LIFE, I mean to say a $10.000 Investment and it dies in 2 Years or less, come on LG you need to play the game or suffer the brunt of all Purchasers of this DUD. At least give us the 10.000 Hrs lamp life or more and do you realise that is $1.00 per Hour Viewing time but some only last 5.000 hrs and less that is more than $2.00 per Hrs

But the good news is we are being replaced with a latest model Imported HD LG 50" Plasma on our sugestion by going through LG Sydney direct.

So stand your ground and good luck.

Good luck

I too have had the dreaded "blues" on this monster.

bought 3yrs ago, after the first14 months (2months out of warranty) the optical engine was replaced free of charge.

now the same again...just wrote a letter to LG here in SA.

Glad I found this site!

Any 1 else had similar problems..and a good outcome?

johnno

• 3 months later...

Hi, we also had the dreaded blues after 18 months which got worse and so contacted our local dealer with no luck. they wanted $110 just to look at it! contacted LG Sydney and received great friendly service. the end result was that we have now lost our great big screen but it has been replaced by a 50" plasma. So while it doesn't quite fit in the space we had, it still looks good - and the picture is perfect. LG gave us a choice of 2 replacement units. All in all, from our initial call to LG to receiving the new unit was 15 days. Before we fork out $10,000 on a unit, we will be researching it via forums from now on.

thanks

Hi, we also had the dreaded blues after 18 months which got worse and so contacted our local dealer with no luck. they wanted $110 just to look at it! contacted LG Sydney and received great friendly service. the end result was that we have now lost our great big screen but it has been replaced by a 50" plasma. So while it doesn't quite fit in the space we had, it still looks good - and the picture is perfect. LG gave us a choice of 2 replacement units. All in all, from our initial call to LG to receiving the new unit was 15 days. Before we fork out $10,000 on a unit, we will be researching it via forums from now on.

thanks

Hi, I have been reading all the woes about this monitor and I must be blessed. I bought mine from a factory seconds outlet in taren Point backin 2004, just after the Olympics. I have well over 6000hrs on the original lamp and the set is still going strong. Am I living on borrowed time? Can I expect my set to go the way of this "dreaded blues" issue and if so , what recourse do I have? As background info, I run the set from my foxtel digital set, so just about all the viewing is on wide screen.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have just started the process with LG after my MW60 got a case of the yellow's. - A tech has just seen it and agrees it is the optical engine (An inherent fault). So here we are at the start of the process. Of the people out there can anyone give me a quick sum of how they went

replacement tv - what kind ?

store credit ?

full refund.

I need some ammo

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jwalmsley
Well I have just started the process with LG after my MW60 got a case of the yellow's. - A tech has just seen it and agrees it is the optical engine (An inherent fault). So here we are at the start of the process. Of the people out there can anyone give me a quick sum of how they went

replacement tv - what kind ?

store credit ?

full refund.

I need some ammo

Hi Jake

Well after 3 years and 6000 hours I've notice exactly this problem on mine. Up until now it has been flawless but in the last week I've started to notice a yellow/coffee coloured discolouration centered in the bottom half of the screen - around 500mm wide x 200 mm high. It's only noticeable when there is a light background and then only slightly if there is a lot of movement. But, if you freeze the screen say with a white background it is very clearly visible. Is this what you are seeing or saw? I rang a local LG agent in SA who says there are aware of problems with the MW60 and LG handles them on a case by case basis, but they want money to come and have a look. I rang LG who want a service report before they will do anything. Usual story I guess. Have you had any luck with yours yet?

Has anyone else had this problem? No blues that I can see but certainly yellows.

Jayson

Hi Jake

Well after 3 years and 6000 hours I've notice exactly this problem on mine. Up until now it has been flawless but in the last week I've started to notice a yellow/coffee coloured discolouration centered in the bottom half of the screen - around 500mm wide x 200 mm high. It's only noticeable when there is a light background and then only slightly if there is a lot of movement. But, if you freeze the screen say with a white background it is very clearly visible. Is this what you are seeing or saw? I rang a local LG agent in SA who says there are aware of problems with the MW60 and LG handles them on a case by case basis, but they want money to come and have a look. I rang LG who want a service report before they will do anything. Usual story I guess. Have you had any luck with yours yet?

Has anyone else had this problem? No blues that I can see but certainly yellows.

Jayson

Hey Jayson,

I got my MW60 Assessed and from there I got assistance...I think it it a good ides, Come Back and LG and ask for a repair or rplacment.

Thanks

Guest jwalmsley
Hey Jayson,

I got my MW60 Assessed and from there I got assistance...I think it it a good ides, Come Back and LG and ask for a repair or rplacment.

Thanks

Thanks for the message. As per my post in the BIG :blink: MW60 forum i emailed LG last night and got an email back first thing this morning agreeing to assess the unit at their cost. I called STAG in Adelaide who are the LG ELITE repairer and they are coming Monday to have a look. I am hoping my experience is as positive as a lot of others seem to be. Based on their promptness and willingness to assess the unit so quickly it does give me a good feeling about LG. Oh and can I asked what ended up happening in your case, did you have it repaired or opt for a replacement and if so what do you go for?

Cheers Jayson

Edited by jwalmsley