It's so sad when all this other irrelevant stuff like wives and work get in the way of what really matters..... and for a while there I thought you had her going on the right track.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Panasonic are finally back on the rails with the new Vierras. I'm looking foward to the release of the G8 commercial panels which, going by performance of the previous models, should be a step up from the Vierra range and with more flexible connectivity and an even better price. The recent price drop on the 7 series panels could indicate that they are not too far away.

It's so sad when all this other irrelevant stuff like wives and work get in the way of what really matters..... and for a while there I thought you had her going on the right track.

Dont push to hard dude just take it easy

Because if they have the slightest idea you are training them"You Gunna Get **** Slapped"

Hye Darky

Sorry mate but there will be no difference between the Pana and Fujitsu as far as black levels as the Fujitsu is using Panasonic glass at 3000:1 contrast

And after having the unit calibrated Aaron has conformed that the Fujitsu is one of the closet speced unit on the mart to the advertised specs.

As mentioned the real life contrast was at 2900:1 where the Panasonics have fallen in some cases well below this

I cant comment from personal experience Glenn, as I’ve never seen the Fujitsu 50" side by side with the new Viera 50" to do a proper black level comparison, but going by reputable posts at the AV Forums, the general consensus is that the Panasonic certainly seems to lead the way at the moment with black levels. As I stated above I’m sure the Fujitsu is still superior in other ways (and it would want to be for the price!).

Remember that while they are both quoted on paper as having a contrast ratio of 3000:1, the Panasonic users the newer G8 glass, and also incorporates a dynamic contrast feature (similar to auto iris on digital projectors) that can dynamically adjust black levels to giver deeper blacks and more shadow detail. This isn’t always a good thing though, as some people claim to be able to see the dynamic auto contrast feature at work and dislike it, while other people say it works beautifully. Again it comes down to individual preference. Regardless, it certainly results in very good blacks.

In any case, again you have to consider the huge price difference between these plasmas. Even you would have to admit the Panasonic 50" is shaping up to be a very good plasma for the price. Sure, it’s proably not as good as Fujitsu (and I’ve never said otherwise) but it still looks like it’s going to be a great option for many people that simply dont have the money, or desire to spend such big bucks on a display.

I cant comment from personal experience Glenn, as I’ve never seen the Fujitsu 50" side by side with the new Viera 50" to do a proper black level comparison, but going by reputable posts at the AV Forums, the general consensus is that the Panasonic certainly seems to lead the way at the moment with black levels. As I stated above I’m sure the Fujitsu is still superior in other ways (and it would want to be for the price!).

Remember that while they are both quoted on paper as having a contrast ratio of 3000:1, the Panasonic users the newer G8 glass, and also incorporates a dynamic contrast feature (similar to auto iris on digital projectors) that can dynamically adjust black levels to giver deeper blacks and more shadow detail. This isn’t always a good thing though, as some people claim to be able to see the dynamic auto contrast feature at work and dislike it, while other people say it works beautifully. Again it comes down to individual preference. Regardless, it certainly results in very good blacks.

In any case, again you have to consider the huge price difference between these plasmas. Even you would have to admit the Panasonic 50" is shaping up to be a very good plasma for the price. Sure, it’s proably not as good as Fujitsu (and I’ve never said otherwise) but it still looks like it’s going to be a great option for many people that simply dont have the money, or desire to spend such big bucks on a display.

Agreed the price is a great point

The contrast levels on the new G8 series is another issue and would not like ot comment as i have seen no figures come back after calibration

When i mentioned the contrast level i was refering ot the G7 panels as i have not seen the G8 panels as yet and from Aaron point of view when measuring the black levels the Fujitsu was pretty much on the money where Pana fell short so in this case i will put that down the processing .

I cant say what is a better panel the G8's or XHA40 series again as i have not seen the G8's but so far you will always see the Panasonics out sell the Fujitsu in both the US and UK and from what i have seen and heard is purely because of price.

One of the main things that have kept me away from Panasonic in the past is the piss poor after sales service were if you do have a fault with a product its your fault not the product.

Panasonic have to life the warranty periods on big ticket items as well

I hope Fujitsu drops the RRP soon or will remain a Highend\Boutique panel

I hope Fujitsu drops the RRP soon or will remain a Highend\Boutique panel

Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't the newer models with better performance upcoming in the future drive the price of older models (such as the XHA40's) down to remain competitive? Wouldn't a "highend/boutique" panel have to have better performance to justify being X% more expensive than cheaper models? Why would anyone want to pay more for an older model? (Note: this assumes that future models will have equal, if not better performance the the current XHA40's)

Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't the newer models with better performance upcoming in the future drive the price of older models (such as the XHA40's) down to remain competitive? Wouldn't a "highend/boutique" panel have to have better performance to justify being X% more expensive than cheaper models? Why would anyone want to pay more for an older model? (Note: this assumes that future models will have equal, if not better performance the the current XHA40's)

You would think so, but I have dealt with Fujitsu for many years on the computer side of the business, and I can tell you that change does not happen quickly within that organisation. They have the reaction time of a garden slug on LSD.

You guys are also assuming there was a substantial change from G7 to G8. My understanding is that the changes were minor and that's one of the reasons they brought them out so quick.

And as pioneer seemed to hjave proved from the 504 to 505, the future does not always bring a better product.

The XHA40 series is a new model and will be replaced in time by Fujitsu

Fujitsu have always been a High end panel as they put great effor into the processing side on the displays making them a cut above the rest.

Currently the Fujitsu is sitting at the top of the tree in the 50" arena and until that time they will charge accordingly but these prices have already dropped.

Earlier this year or actually not long ago these panels were at a RRP of $14,999 and go rpice of $11,000 but as seen on the forum they can be had for $7400

• Moderators
You guys are also assuming there was a substantial change from G7 to G8. My understanding is that the changes were minor and that's one of the reasons they brought them out so quick.

And as pioneer seemed to hjave proved from the 504 to 505, the future does not always bring a better product.

have a read on this post of mine that goes into some of the changes g7 to g8.

I don't believe the changes were minor

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...ndpost&p=170701

ofcourse thats all manufacturers talk, and specs aren't everything. but I for one am very happy the likes of panasonic are putting this sort of effort into new panels and bringing them out at significantly cheaper with every new model. Good for all of us. And if it puts pressure on the likes of fuji to have street prices of 50% off their rediculously high rrp to compete then thats all the more better.

the pio 504 to 505 I believe was a step back, but will reserve judgement on their newer model to be released as they do claim improvements in plasma technology with them so will just have to wait and see.

Ok

I got the chance to have a look at the new units tonight not for as long as i would have liked tho

So far yes there is a buzz at high contrast (Confirmed) i could not gauge how distracting this would be as there were a few shoppers around chatting away rather loudly(The bloody cheek of them)

I must say i still hate the styling but each to thier own

I did notice some banding and solarisation on Motorway Patrol but this was average content at best .

I am heading back tomorrow for a closer look and afull blown drive of the remote

Ok

I got the chance to have a look at the new units tonight not for as long as i would have liked tho

So far yes there is a buzz at high contrast (Confirmed) i could not gauge how distracting this would be as there were a few shoppers around chatting away rather loudly(The bloody cheek of them)

I must say i still hate the styling but each to thier own

I did notice some banding and solarisation on Motorway Patrol but this was average content at best .

I am heading back tomorrow for a closer look and afull blown drive of the remote

If you noticed the buzz in the shop, then at home it would be amplified. Sit down and watch a dvd in relative silence and you would think a new sound had been introduced into the sound track.

Just my 2 cents. I'm not a fan of buzzing.

If you noticed the buzz in the shop, then at home it would be amplified. Sit down and watch a dvd in relative silence and you would think a new sound had been introduced into the sound track.

Just my 2 cents. I'm not a fan of buzzing.

Yep know what you mean but i would like to check this right out and gauge exactly how loud this is and would like the wife ot double check as i a pretty sensitive to noise where she is normal(I think)

Glenn, you'll need to do some searching for how to get into the service menu before you can do very much with the remote.

The user menu options are very basic, but the salesman assured me that the rep showed them the menus for more detailed adjustments... he just couldn't remember how to get into it!!

I also like how Panasonic have blended their speakers into the bezel. The look is always subjective, but I quite like it. I know that you thought the glossy black bezel on the Pioneer was woggy, but then, so am I. :blink:

This ought to save you some time Glenn, I looked up the Panasonic Viera FAQ on AVForum, here's the info you'll need:

Link to information quoted below

Accesing Vireas Service menu - including PV500

VIERA SERVICE MENU - INCLUDING NEW MODELS

Here is how it is got into.

turn to channel 99 on analogue

bass to max.

treble to min.

then press v/- 0n front panel at the slightly after index on remote.

this is service one.

press the green button on the remote to cycle through the options untill you can go no further

then press hold on remote.

service two should now be showing.

press the green button and cycle through the options untill you get to the option that says hours used or some thing like that, not sure of exact wording. the value displayed is how many hours it has been on.

words of advice

do not change or alter any thing in these menus unless you are absolutely sure of what you are doing.

You can do some serious damage to your plasma if you are not carefull.

to get out of the service menu press exit on remote. if that does not work turn the plasma off ten back on again and you should be out of it.

I take no responsibility for any problems caused by entering the service menu

If you are struggling, check you are on channel 99 on analogue, it may have gone down a channel when you pressed the v/- button. [/font][/font]

I also like how Panasonic have blended their speakers into the bezel. The look is always subjective, but I quite like it. I know that you thought the glossy black bezel on the Pioneer was woggy, but then, so am I. smile.gif

Ill second that. :blink:

So whats the buzz on the Panasonics ?.........................sorry couldnt help myself. :P

Ill second that.  :blink:

So whats the buzz on the Panasonics ?.........................sorry couldnt help myself. :P

So far from what i have seen its not unlike the Pioneer but again really want to have a closer look and listen to it.

So far i can say one thing its louder than the Fujitsu fans which dont annoy me at all

The fan noise is very similar to the Nec.  I had a play with one yesterday and its a cool looking plasma but its PQ didnt impress so far.

I viewed the 50" viera today

Ok just got back from playing with the new viera

I will have to echo Angelo's comments and say the over all PQ via component and HDMI had not impressed me very much.

I took my 3910 and AUSID down and plugged both in to check the situation out and i spent about 40 minutes playing around with the settings prior to poping some reference discs

One thing i do like about the unit is the cable retention straps on the rear not a bad idea and the main thing i dont like is only 1 digitan input being HDMI.

Menu system is not bad but hey they are all pretty good now a days

I found the noise rediction really did'nt do much at all depite the setting

The fan noise could be annoying to most people and i am bassing this on the WAF (Wife Annoyance Factor) not my own as i am very picky with noise

Adjustments on the unit are your typical domestic type nothing like the commercials or Fujitsu with really fine tuneing control

Ok enough of the crapping around

After doing a rough setup and the 3910 plugged in i threw in Gladiator

PQ was good but really lacked life and more 2 dimentional than i am use to with the Fujitsu and even the NEC

Yes the black levels are pretty good but there is no difference in black levels to the Fujisu and i can say this safely as i have 5 or 6 diffenet reference points that i do check.

I chucked on the AUSID and gave that a run now one thing i had noticed was solaraisation without a doubt not as bad as the NEC but was annoying enough in spots.

The noise reduction worked better on component but still was not doing what i have come to expect from a late model panel it reall seemed ot have hardly any impact.

One thing i hated badly was that fing light sensor it was driving me nuts i can see now what all the fuss is about.

Where the panel was stiuated was in a small H\T room that had 8 downlights split in to 2 sections of 4 and controlled by two switches.

When adjusting the unit we had all 8 lights one but once we shut down 4 the brightness and contrast flipped up 1 or 2 notches so i adjusted them again.

Once the lights were all on again the sensor adjusted the B & C again bringing them down an to make matters even more frustrating if you stand within 2 feet of the screen there is another slight shift.

This pissed me off.

Ok i am not going to crap on any longer but i waled out of the store feeling safe once again with my purchase

Ok i am not going to crap on any longer but i waled out of the store feeling safe once again with my purchase

Unbelievable Glen. You just finished telling foggy not to go on memory when comparing panels, yet you base this report on just that. Your doing a report on a panel with just a few hours on it, in unsuitable lighting conditions, with a menu and panel you have never used before, with equipment that best suits the Fuji but may not suit the Panny and virtually walking away saying they are a heap of crap. BTW, how could you call the Vierra's surround ugly when your comparing to the plain grey plastic bezel of the Fuji.

To date, I have seen 4 of the new Vierras. With background noise, I could not detect any buzzing from any of them, Two of them looked brilliant, the other 2 were running composite and svideo out of a dvd player and looked OK.

As you probably already know, these panels come highly recommended by the Fuji owners dishler and Pat Marcus on avsforum. Dishler even posted saying that its the best 42" panel he has seen.

I agree with Al's comment that these panels are going to be very popular. I couldn't give a rat's if they are the best 42" panel or not, they are certainly the best valued quality plasma to date.

• Moderators
Unbelievable Glen. You just finished telling foggy not to go on memory when comparing panels, yet you base this report on just that. Your doing a report on a panel with just a few hours on it, in unsuitable lighting conditions, with a menu and panel you have never used before, with equipment that best suits the Fuji but may not suit the Panny and virtually walking away saying they are a heap of crap. BTW, how could you call the Vierra's surround ugly when your comparing to the plain grey plastic bezel of the Fuji.

To date, I have seen 4 of the new Vierras. With background noise, I could not detect any buzzing from any of them, Two of them looked brilliant, the other 2 were running composite and svideo out of a dvd player and looked OK.

As you probably already know, these panels come highly recommended by the Fuji owners dishler and Pat Marcus on avsforum. Dishler even posted saying that its the best 42" panel he has seen.

I agree with Al's comment that these panels are going to be very popular. I couldn't give a rat's if they are the best 42" panel or not, they are certainly the best valued quality plasma to date.

cummo, I'll still stand by my comment that pana is going to sell a mountain of these.

And no I did not here any buzz either but that was in megamart with bloody plasmas everywhere.

Even with a drastically reduced fuji sitting next to it the damn pana was cheaper sitting there with rrp on it. And with both on out of the box settings(thats what joe average is going compare it on) the pana just killed the fuji no question. Keep in mind I'm talking about 42" panels here cannot comment on the 50"

As far as styling well I still prefer my previous gen hitachi's looks to anything out there and that just goes to show thats something very much down to personal taste.

Unless someone does a shoot out, side by side with both panels with enough hours and both professionally calibrated, there would be no such thing as a proper comparison.

I looked at several of the Panny Vieras today and found the latest to be quite nice but there was quite a deal of mosquito noise around motion which I didn't see on the nearby Pioneer 43 nor Fuji 42 (which I am familiar with).

I didn't hear any buzzing but I wasn't looking for it. I found the Pioneer 43PDP45 (I think that was the number) absolutely fantastic - very nice panel but it's overall look is not for me.

I have found with my Fuji 42 that on very white screens that there is a noticeable buzzing sound like an electrical arc with a high frequency. I don't know if this is a universal feature of these models but it only happens with the very white screens - ie. channel ten white background logo screen.

Anyone else notice this?