New Panasonic Plasmas?

Guest modi

Its also worth noting that even straight out of the box the Viera is praised for handling low bit-rate poor quality SD sources very well. There are many threads dedicated to this at the AV Forums. Look for threads discussing “Sky picture quality” (which is notoriously over-compressed and low quality in the UK). Going by threads there it’s almost unanimous that the Viera is the plasma to get for better picture quality for "less than optimal SD sources"

Now before any Fuji lovers jump down my throat, I’m sure the Fujitsu also does a very good job with these kind of sources, due to it’s excellent AVMII processing, and I have no doubt it surpasses the Panasonic completely with pristine HD sources, but certainly the Panasonic would seem to do a good with lower quality SD (which is after all what the vast majority of people end up watching the most of). Again, for the massive difference in price, the Viera 50” is probably a better option for people willing to save some money, and sacrifice overall quality to get a plasma that still has very good picture quality and handles all sources well.

There are places now selling the 50PV500 for $5998 online so I’m sure it’s possible to get prices close to this from retail outlets.

Exactly right Darklord, I did months of research on avforums 3 years back before I bought my first Panasonic plasma. I wanted a large screen display that would produce a good picture with the AFL on foxtel. In the three years of Panny ownership, i have never seen the 'clown face' banding problems associated with so many other plasma panels being fed a low def source. For me, best performance is a panel that can handle both ends of the quality scale

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was only using the HQV as an example for all the PQ freaks who want the very best. Nothing stopping them for going DCDi or other cheaper alternatives.

The Fuji hitting $7 is wishful thinking at this very moment. What is there to say the Pana's don't go down in price as well?

Also a HTPC can be used as an external scaler. It can be very cost effective and the results can produce an outstanding PQ

Jim

A HTPC will be fine for scaling and to a certain degree de-interlacing but WILL not have the power to perform any decent noise reduction

People have purchase the Fujitsu for $7400 so that tells me it aint gunna be long before we hit sub 7

Possibly the 50" fuji can be found for $6,950. Speakers and basic stand only. Extra for single pedestal stand.

And why wouldn't anyone consider PQ one of the most important aspects when buying tv?

Did I say PQ is not one of the most important aspects of a display? If I did not think PQ was that important why did I bring up the subject of external scalers, and how they can improve the PQ of a display

You're dreaming......in Canberra anyway  :blink:  .  Best price I can the Fuji on its own for is $8,200, and then they want another $800 for the Ausid box.

Sorry man,

I'm referring to Melbourne.

Screw those Canberra rorters, I would drive to Sydney to pick one up and save myself at least a grand.

Jim

A HTPC will be fine for scaling and to a certain degree de-interlacing but WILL  not have the power to perform any decent noise reduction

People have purchase the Fujitsu for $7400 so that tells me it aint gunna be long before we hit sub 7

FFdshow is one example of an application which does a great job reducing noise with many scripts and plugins which you can download for free. I'm sure other HTPC owners can also back me up on this statement

FFdshow is one example of an application which does a great job reducing noise with many scripts and plugins which you can download for free. I'm sure other HTPC owners can also back me up on this statement

Do a bit of reading on the AVSforum dude and see how well it can be done by a HTPC this is the reasong i have never gone down this route

Besides i have a little more respect for my DVD collection than to use a $80 transport without getting started on the ither pitfals

Do a bit of reading on the AVSforum dude and see how well it can be done by a HTPC this is the reasong i have never gone down this route

Besides i have a little more respect for my DVD collection than to use a $80 transport without getting started on the ither pitfals

Why would I need to do reading when I have seen the results for myself? Also going by many threads on AVS other people also agree that HTPC's can do a great job of upscaling DVD's and other video sources. Also, as the software improves so does the end result on a HTPC

Why would I need to do reading when I have seen the results for myself? Also going by many threads on AVS other people also agree that HTPC's can do a great job of upscaling DVD's and other video sources. Also, as the software improves so does the end result on a HTPC

Mate i have tried and and didnt think much of it at all and when trying to plug other filters in the HTPC could not cut it so no thanks

Its always good reading differnt things to keep up unless you feel you dont need to learn any more

Its also worth noting that even straight out of the box the Viera is praised for handling low bit-rate poor quality SD sources very well. There are many threads dedicated to this at the AV Forums. Look for threads discussing “Sky picture quality” (which is notoriously over-compressed and low quality in the UK). Going by threads there it’s almost unanimous that the Viera is the plasma to get for better picture quality for "less than optimal SD sources"

Now before any Fuji lovers jump down my throat, I’m sure the Fujitsu also does a very good job with these kind of sources, due to it’s excellent AVMII processing, and I have no doubt it surpasses the Panasonic completely with pristine HD sources, but certainly the Panasonic would seem to do a good with lower quality SD (which is after all what the vast majority of people end up watching the most of). Again, for the massive difference in price, the Viera 50” is probably a better option for people willing to save some money, and sacrifice overall quality to get a plasma that still has very good picture quality and handles all sources well.

There are places now selling the 50PV500 for $5998 online so I’m sure it’s possible to get prices close to this from retail outlets.

No need to jump up and down from this end ultimate PQ is what i want and this is what i have got , Yes some will trade off less PQ to save a few bucks but not this little black duck.

And the price difference is not that massive Darky

Mate i have tried and and didnt think much of it at all and when trying to plug other filters in the HTPC could not cut it so no thanks

Its always good reading differnt things to keep up unless you feel you dont need to learn any more

The results from a HTPC very based on the knowledge of the person behind it. The amount of different setups and configurations one can have are huge, so is the results.

I achieved results with my HTPC which I found to be outstanding.

No need for comment about reading, since I never said I did not want to read or learn, but just stating that I have had hands on experience when it comes to HTPC and have seen the end result for myself. If someone else on a forum has found his HTPC to be less then satisfactory then I feel for him, but his experience does not effect me in anyway because the config and setup of our HTPC's is more then likely completely different

I saw the previous model Panasonic 50in at DS Preston Vic for $5500 last week , I would imagine you could do lot less with some haggling, the new 42sd is at Megamart for $3500 with a DVD Recorder, I suppose $3100 would be around about you would expect to pay if you put the pressure on , remember all retail sales are down and latest statement from JB HiFI is that they expect sales to continue to be poor. Why dont you have a look at the NEC VM5W 42SD they can be got for under $3000.

For people looking at the 50" Plasma HDSTC got his 50" Pana for $5500

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...ndpost&p=245621

I wonder how long before someone snaps one up for $5000

Well that's not quite the way I read it.

He said that he SAW the OLD Pannna at $5,500 viz

"I saw the previous model Panasonic 50in at DS Preston Vic for $5500 last week"

Old models are always cheaper.......doesn't mean there is anything wrong with them....and doesn't mean you buy em........

The results from a HTPC very based on the knowledge of the person behind it. The amount of different setups and configurations one can have are huge, so is the results.

I achieved results with my HTPC which I found to be outstanding.

No need for comment about reading, since I never said I did not want to read or learn, but just stating that I have had hands on experience when it comes to HTPC and have seen the end result for myself. If someone else on a forum has found his HTPC to be less then satisfactory then I feel for him, but his experience does not effect me in anyway because the config and setup of our HTPC's is more then likely completely different

Hey we agree on something damn will have to stop that qwick smart

Agreed the person behind the HTPC can and does make all the difference so just lucky that i am a software Tester and applications Support manager by profession.

As far as the comment goes about reading i was pissing with you

I will not go down the path of a HTPC for the following reasons

Win XP is not stable enough to use on a daily bassis as a HTPC\Scaler

I will not subject any of my DVD's to a $80 transport

The filters that i would like ot run will not run on a HTPC as it will chew all resources and left sweet FA for anything else

I will not subject any of my DVD's to a $80 transport ( think i mentioned that)

Flame suite on

There is no way on this earth without spending $1000 on a sound card that will give the same performance from DVD player and i dont give a rats what any one says.

I do not want a HTPC in the living room

A small concession on my behalf

A HTPC would not be so bad if used every onw and then but not everyday as an alternative to a dedicated external scaler

Hey we agree on something damn will have to stop that qwick smart

Agreed the person behind the HTPC can and does make all the difference so just lucky that i am a software Tester and applications Support manager by profession.

As far as the comment goes about reading i was pissing with you

I will not go down the path of a HTPC for the following reasons

Win XP is not stable enough to use on a daily bassis as a HTPC\Scaler

I will not subject any of my DVD's to a $80 transport

The filters that i would like ot run will not run on a HTPC as it will chew all resources and left sweet FA for anything else

I will not subject any of my DVD's to a $80 transport ( think i mentioned that)

Flame suite on

There is no way on this earth without spending $1000 on a sound card that will give the same performance from DVD player and i dont give a rats what any one says.

I do not want a HTPC in the living room

A small concession on my behalf

A HTPC would not be so bad if used every onw and then but not everyday as an alternative to a dedicated external scaler

Windows XP has been very stable for me, and I don't recall my HTPC crashing yet!

You can buy a SoundBlaster AUDIGY 2ZS (24Bit, 7.1) for around the $160 mark. It is a great product which is THX Certified Sound Card for Cinematic Audio. It will give you performance which is better then DVD players.

My HTPC has a 3000+ Athlon 64 with a Geforce 6600 which supports DXVA (DirectX Video Acceleration) it has no problem running filters and plugins that I want

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree...

Windows XP has been very stable for me, and I don't recall my HTPC crashing yet!

You can buy a SoundBlaster AUDIGY 2ZS (24Bit, 7.1) for around the $160 mark. It is a great product which is THX Certified Sound Card for Cinematic Audio. It will give you performance which is better then DVD players.

My HTPC has a 3000+ Athlon 64 with a Geforce 6600 which supports DXVA (DirectX Video Acceleration) it has no problem running filters and plugins that I want

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree...

Your not wrong about that

That is a very very broad statement regarding sound card sounding better than DVD players but i will leave that one alone

Hey thats fair if it runs what you want great but it has not what i want

As far as specs go Pent 4 3Ghz 2 GB Corsair 2.5 CL memory MSI X850XT VT2D vid card and 2.2 TB disk space M-Audio Revolution 7.1 and will not handle the Algolith noise reductions filters anlong with other filters

Live on in ignorance dude.

A 3Gig P4 is no even close to fast enough for effective FFDShow use with DVD’s, let alone 1080i HD.

Move up to 3.8Gig plus and the game changes.

If you have never used FFDShow to resize (Lanczos2) to 300% PAL DVD resolution with Luma sharpen and Denoise3d, using VMR9 as renderer you really don’t know what you are missing.

Denoise3d can also be used with great electiveness on 1080i HD video.

Again, if you have never used it, you don’t know what you are missing.

I have never used the Algolith Mosquito-Dragonfly combination, so I have no idea how it compares, but considering the price of the Algolith solution, it had want to be absolutely sensational in every respect.

There are several people with VERY high end displays, like a $28,000US Qualia 006 1080p front projectors, using a HTPC for scaleing and noise reduction.

Unless you have used both systems, what makes you so sure that the Algolith solution is so superior?

Unless you have used both systems, what makes you so sure that the Algolith solution is so superior?

As stated i would like to use the Algolith filters the same used in the Algolith Mosquito external processor jut to try it out.

And see first hand hey these filters compare with others

Also as mentioned i did not want ot use a HTPC for everyday use as i am sure you buds are not with the Qualia 006 projectors

I use a HTPC for everything, and it works VERY reliably, however I fully accept that a HTPC it is not for everyone.

However, I find your statement ” i have a little more respect for my DVD collection than to use a $80 transport” completely ridicules.

Data grade DVD drives read data PERFECTELY, and at least as well as ANY high end stand alone DVD player.

Data read errors are NOT tolerated in PC drives.

If you can provide a link to the Algolith filters, I will test them against FFDShow.

I use a HTPC for everything, and it works VERY reliably, however I fully accept that a HTPC it is not for everyone.

However, I find your statement ” i have a little more respect for my DVD collection than to use a $80 transport” completely ridicules.

Data grade DVD drives read data PERFECTELY, and at least as well as ANY high end stand alone DVD player.

Data read errors are NOT tolerated in PC drives.

If you can provide a link to the Algolith filters, I will test them against FFDShow.

Your intitled to your own opion regarding transports and thats all it is, Over the years i have had a few DVD drives spit the dummy and screw a DVD so i will not take chance.

Link to Filters no can do as they have been provided with assurence they will not be distributed

There has always been two schools of thought about HTPC's and i belong ot the one that does not like them

I’ve been using PC optical drives for 10 years and have NEVER damaged a disk, ever.

It would seem false economy to spend thousands on a stand alone DVD player just save a $35 DVD every 10 years or so.

Like I said Glen, I can understand that many people would not want to use a HTPC, but data read integrity and potential disk damage are not valid reasons IMHO.

I’ve been using PC optical drives for 10 years and have NEVER damaged a disk, ever.

It would seem false economy to spend thousands on a stand alone DVD player just save a $35 DVD every 10 years or so.

Like I said Glen, I can understand that many people would not want to use a HTPC, but data read integrity and potential disk damage are not valid reasons IMHO.

Thats fair Owen

But i have always owned medium to high end DVD players and shall continue to do so like they say once bitten twice shy.

A HTPC for us and many many others is not something that can be used every single day but as mention if is was for something like a dedicated room and only used for DVD's that might be ok.

But as you know there are people out there using them everyday (God knows how) so thats thier call.

One other thing i use PC's everyday at work and dont want to come home to another hooked up in the living room