New Panasonic Plasmas?

Guest modi

Saw the new Panasonic 50" at David Jones Rundle Mall and like the look of the plasma styling. As for the image I liked what I saw but could draw no conclusions between the new Pana and the fuji unless I could play with the settings and see both side by side fed the same source.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glenn, thanks for taking the time and effort to unplug your AUSID and 3910 and take them down to the store to give us your impressions. I think your most pertinent comment was that you are not assessing the "best value" panel, but the "best quality" panel. Value is something that only an individual can assess.

I guess this exercise just goes to show that some of us are more tolerant than others when it comes to imperfections in PQ, and for those of us with a lesser sensitivity to these things, the Panasonic would seem like a good choice.

If anyone doubts the degree of scrutiny that glenncol puts these panels through, I just want to clarify the barrage of questions about the most minute details that he subjected me to before he decided on his Fuji. Every detail was considered, and he did look very hard at the Pioneer retail and commercial panels, as well as the Hitachi before arriving at the Fuji. I know this because we compared countless notes by PM about each of these panels.

I personally value Glenn's opinion very highly, but I will always check it out for myself before making the final decision, and so should you. There will be many people who will be blown away with the PQ from these new Pannys, and rightfully so as it is a very appealing panel.... and I love the pricing most of all.

I hope that Panasonic have now set a new price point that will force Fujitsu and Pioneer to compete. The best result for us all would be if these other manufacturers dropped their prices to match the Panny, then the PQ from a side-by-side shootout will be the only differentiator.... I'd like to see that!

Glenn, thanks for taking the time and effort to unplug your AUSID and 3910 and take them down to the store to give us your impressions. I think your most pertinent comment was that you are not assessing the "best value" panel, but the "best quality" panel. Value is something that only an individual can assess.

I guess this exercise just goes to show that some of us are more tolerant than others when it comes to imperfections in PQ, and for those of us with a lesser sensitivity to these things, the Panasonic would seem like a good choice.

If anyone doubts the degree of scrutiny that glenncol puts these panels through, I just want to clarify the barrage of questions about the most minute details that he subjected me to before he decided on his Fuji. Every detail was considered, and he did look very hard at the Pioneer retail and commercial panels, as well as the Hitachi before arriving at the Fuji. I know this because we compared countless notes by PM about each of these panels.

I personally value Glenn's opinion very highly, but I will always check it out for myself before making the final decision, and so should you. There will be many people who will be blown away with the PQ from these new Pannys, and rightfully so as it is a very appealing panel.... and I love the pricing most of all.

I hope that Panasonic have now set a new price point that will force Fujitsu and Pioneer to compete. The best result for us all would be if these other manufacturers dropped their prices to match the Panny, then the PQ from a side-by-side shootout will be the only differentiator.... I'd like to see that!

Foggy I think you hit the nail on the head and mirror many of my thoughts there.

I have no doubt the fuji is a great panel, both the 42" and the 50" even though they are quite different plasma technology wise.

Also glen I have no doubt the 50" is the best out there atm in the PQ department.

I do hope fuji sits up and takes note on the pana though as your getting a pretty damn good product here at a pretty damn good price. As far as PQ differences the bulk of the people out there are not going to be doing or able to be doing a proper side by side with panels hooked up and calibrated properly. I have no doubt they'll end up choosing a panel not just because of its PQ but also price, style, connectivity, conveneince etc.

As far as PQ when I bought my plasma I made the decision after many many hours of searching comparisons etc etc. One thing I soon made up my mind on was no way was I going to buy a panel that I wasn't happy with the picture with. I took me a while to actually come across a retailer who had my panel set up well and calibrated that made me say wow, put my money down and buy it. Even all that said I'd be the first to say PQ was still only part of the buying decision - even if for me it was the most improtant one.

Smarthouse Sunday, 21 August 2005

Panasonic King of Plasma

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Entertainment...y/News/G8H4K4B5

Also US is expecting a $500 drop on their $3,500 Panasonic plasmas (someone on the UK avforums said they read it was expected on 28/8/05 in the US).

See this article:

http://news.webindia123.com/news/showdetai...21&cat=Business

Is the price likely to drop here, so soon after the launch of the new Vieras?

Who knows? Maybe in the next month?

If I remember correctly, last year the 50” Viera dropped from $10,999 RRP to $9,999 two weeks after they came out!

New Panas are damn good. Value for money, they can’t be beaten. Yes I have checked them out on TV, Video and promo video. Different STBs were used in different stores, made no difference to my opinion – damn good display with out-of- the box settings.

Cause, if Panasonic really do want to be KING TO REIGN FOREVER, then all they have to do is drop here by another $500, say on the 42”, and they will be King, Queen and any other title they want.

That being of course if their quality control is a little better than I seem to ascertain it is from the avforums in the UK.

BTW I hear no buzzing whatsoever from any set I have listened to, and that was more than half a dozen, but did get a nasty shock from placing my ear right onto the back of one to try to hear something!

Please don’t expect me to compare with Fujitsu 50”. Different displays altogether.

Also both present out of-the-box completely differently. And yes I have seen Fujitsu several times (WS model), with AUSID STB, viewing upscaled HD TV, and also I have seen upscaled HD TV with Pansonic 50”, unfortunately different STBs and different shows.

PQ of Fujitsu is near impossible to beat in plasma, I have seen that, and that is why I try to view crook upscaled HD stuff to determine which gives better viewing on these crook TV feeds, esp. the afternoon American soaps (no, I don’t normally watch them). Jury still out on this.

My choice of screen, from viewing in the stores, would be Panasonic, regardless of price, perhaps because it reminds me more of CRT. But then if I had each set in my home for a week (not necessarily at the same time) to compare, then my choice might change.

I have asked a few people, whose opinion I value in matter of video displays, which set is the best as regards to PQ, and they have all said Fujitsu. Hmm.

Maybe I am just low-brow, cause I certainly ain’t blind, but I still pefer ATM the Pana.

Also noticed that the pedestal stand which come free with all Pana Vieras is a swivel stand which has appeal for me!

Sorry if this is a bit of a disjointed rave, put it down to too much thinking and a bit too much of the Red tonight.

Cheers Foggy

Guys as mentioned

If you want the hear the buzz for yourself throw up a total white screen and have a little fun witht he Ambient light sensor.

I have found the sensor is not effected to a annoying degree with fluro lighting but as mentioned the room i was veiwing this unit in had downlights.

I found the Fujitsu went a little nuts with fluros but seems perfectly fine with normal lighting

Foggy I think you hit the nail on the head and mirror many of my thoughts there.

I have no doubt the fuji is a great panel, both the 42" and the 50" even though they are quite different plasma technology wise.

Also glen I have no doubt the 50" is the best out there atm in the PQ department.

I do hope fuji sits up and takes note on the pana though as your getting a pretty damn good product here at a pretty damn good price. As far as PQ differences the bulk of the people out there are not going to be doing or able to be doing a proper side by side with panels hooked up and calibrated properly. I have no doubt they'll end up choosing a panel not just because of its PQ but also price, style, connectivity, conveneince etc.

As far as PQ when I bought my plasma I made the decision after many many hours of searching comparisons etc etc. One thing I soon made up my mind on was no way was I going to buy a panel that I wasn't happy with the picture with. I took me a while to actually come across a retailer who had my panel set up well and calibrated that made me say wow, put my money down and buy it. Even all that said I'd be the first to say PQ was still only part of the buying decision - even if for me it was the most improtant one.

Honestly Al i thought thats what this is all about best PQ when spending this sort of money.

I for one would spend an extra $1k to $1.5k for the best performance in terms of PQ damn honestly i would spend what ever it took

Honestly Al i thought thats  what this is all about best PQ when spending this sort of money.

I for one would spend an extra $1k to $1.5k for the best performance in terms of PQ damn honestly i would spend what ever it took

Not whatever it took but $1,000 at this level is only a little extra for something that most want to last for a long time.

Hi All,

Would like to know people's opinion on whether the Fuji 50" or the panny 50" is better for viewing digital foxtel?

I would spend about 60-70% of my time watching fox and so I want the best picture for this rather than worry about which panel gives the best PQ under ideal conditions.

From what I have seen the Fuji 50" with the AVSII seems to be the best, but I only got to look at the Panny for 5 mins on the weekend.

Thanks.

Hi All,

Would like to know people's opinion on whether the Fuji 50" or the panny 50" is better for viewing digital foxtel?

I would spend about 60-70% of my time watching fox and so I want the best picture for this rather than worry about which panel gives the best PQ under ideal conditions.

From what I have seen the Fuji 50" with the AVSII seems to be the best, but I only got to look at the Panny for 5 mins on the weekend.

Thanks.

The AVS11 handles SD content very very well

The PQ improvement of the Fujitsu over the Viera 50" is due to the internal scaler. You can save a lot of $$$ with the Viera, and buy an external HQV scaler which would out preform the Fujitsu. If PQ is so important to you then you should invest in an external scaler. In the end of the day is the extra $$$ really worth the PQ improvement? that is only up to you to decide

Also, the Pana can be had for around the low $6000 mark -- if not lower

Its also worth noting that even straight out of the box the Viera is praised for handling low bit-rate poor quality SD sources very well. There are many threads dedicated to this at the AV Forums. Look for threads discussing “Sky picture quality” (which is notoriously over-compressed and low quality in the UK). Going by threads there it’s almost unanimous that the Viera is the plasma to get for better picture quality for "less than optimal SD sources"

Now before any Fuji lovers jump down my throat, I’m sure the Fujitsu also does a very good job with these kind of sources, due to it’s excellent AVMII processing, and I have no doubt it surpasses the Panasonic completely with pristine HD sources, but certainly the Panasonic would seem to do a good with lower quality SD (which is after all what the vast majority of people end up watching the most of). Again, for the massive difference in price, the Viera 50” is probably a better option for people willing to save some money, and sacrifice overall quality to get a plasma that still has very good picture quality and handles all sources well.

There are places now selling the 50PV500 for $5998 online so I’m sure it’s possible to get prices close to this from retail outlets.

The PQ improvement of the Fujitsu over the Viera 50" is due to the internal scaler. You can save a lot of $$$ with the Viera, and buy an external HQV scaler which would out preform the Fujitsu. If PQ is so important to you then you should invest in an external scaler. In the end of the day is the extra $$$ really worth the PQ improvement? that is only up to you to decide

Jim be realistic here the HQV scaler that you are refering to would the Dragon fly and at almost $6k here i hardly think is a bargin

I've just been out again to have another look at both the Fuji 50" and the new Viera 50". There is no doubt that the PQ is sharper on the Fuji, but if I was in the more budget-conscious end of the market, I would definitely grab the Panny.

I think the Panny will probably eat into the NEC, Samsung & LG market share more than it will into the Fujitsu. IMHO those who demand the best will extend their budget to the Fuji.

Jim be realistic here the HQV scaler that you are refering to would the Dragon fly and at almost $6k here i hardly think is a bargin

Like I said is the extra $$$$ really worth the PQ improvement? You can of course buy "lower-end" external scalers which should give you a PQ on the level of the Fuji -- if not better.

There are places now selling the 50PV500 for $5998 online so I’m sure it’s possible to get prices close to this from retail outlets.

On that issue and this might be a tad off topic for this thread, what are the practical issues with buying via the net. The purchase is OK and I know delivery can be arranged with insurance, but is it realistic to expect a 3rd part transport company to look after a plasma screen properly - ie not lay it flat?

Anyone got any practical experience? I ask because getting a reasonable price from a retail store in Canberra is nigh on impossible, so the net is a real option if I could trust the couriers.

Jim you cant make a comment on that as the Dragon fly has not been released

Did I make a comment on the Dragon fly? No, I did not. All I did was state that you can purchase external scalers which should give you PQ on the level of the Fuji...if not better. You can save a nice amount of money with the Pana then invest it in a external scaler which fits your budget. The Fuji might have a better PQ thanks to its internal scaler, but there is no reason that a Pana hooked up to an external scaler can not beat it

Did I make a comment on the Dragon fly? No, I did not. All I did was state that you can purchase external scalers which should give you PQ on the level of the Fuji...if not better. You can save a nice amount of money with the Pana then invest it in a external scaler which fits your budget. The Fuji might have a better PQ thanks to its internal scaler, but there is no reason that a Pana hooked up to an external scaler can not beat it

No you didnt but the Dragonfly is the only HQV based external scaler soo to be available ans eems that you did meantion a HQV scaler this is the only conclution i can come to.

Do the numbers Jim Panasonic $5999 + $2K for the scaler to equal the Fujitsu does not make sense as you will will pick up the Fuji for about $7k shortly i would say

Possibly the 50" fuji can be found for $6,950. Speakers and basic stand only. Extra for single pedestal stand.

And why wouldn't anyone consider PQ one of the most important aspects when buying tv?

No you didnt but the Dragonfly is the only HQV based external scaler soo to be available ans eems that you did meantion a HQV scaler this is the only conclution i can come to.

Do the numbers Jim Panasonic $5999 + $2K for the scaler to equal the Fujitsu does not make sense as you will will pick up the Fuji for about $7k shortly i would say

I was only using the HQV as an example for all the PQ freaks who want the very best. Nothing stopping them for going DCDi or other cheaper alternatives.

The Fuji hitting $7 is wishful thinking at this very moment. What is there to say the Pana's don't go down in price as well?

Also a HTPC can be used as an external scaler. It can be very cost effective and the results can produce an outstanding PQ

Its also worth noting that even straight out of the box the Viera is praised for handling low bit-rate poor quality SD sources very well. There are many threads dedicated to this at the AV Forums. Look for threads discussing “Sky picture quality” (which is notoriously over-compressed and low quality in the UK). Going by threads there it’s almost unanimous that the Viera is the plasma to get for better picture quality for "less than optimal SD sources"

Now before any Fuji lovers jump down my throat, I’m sure the Fujitsu also does a very good job with these kind of sources, due to it’s excellent AVMII processing, and I have no doubt it surpasses the Panasonic completely with pristine HD sources, but certainly the Panasonic would seem to do a good with lower quality SD (which is after all what the vast majority of people end up watching the most of). Again, for the massive difference in price, the Viera 50” is probably a better option for people willing to save some money, and sacrifice overall quality to get a plasma that still has very good picture quality and handles all sources well.

Exactly right Darklord, I did months of research on avforums 3 years back before I bought my first Panasonic plasma. I wanted a large screen display that would produce a good picture with the AFL on foxtel. In the three years of Panny ownership, i have never seen the 'clown face' banding problems associated with so many other plasma panels being fed a low def source. For me, best performance is a panel that can handle both ends of the signal quality scale