New Panasonic Plasmas?

Guest modi

As far as styling well I still prefer my previous gen hitachi's looks to anything out there and that just goes to show thats something very much down to personal taste

Al,

Give me a Pioneer, a Vierra or the stylish Hitachi surround any day. And that's coming from someone who owns one of those grey plastic surround panels. You have to remember that these things are also a piece of furniture when they are not being used.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked at several of the Panny Vieras today and found the latest to be quite nice but there was quite a deal of mosquito noise around motion which I didn't see on the nearby Pioneer 43 nor Fuji 42 (which I am familiar with).

This is something that I noticed on the previous Vierra compared to my series 6 commercial panel. The processing in the commercial panels always seems to outperform the television version of the panel. This is why I believe the upcoming PHD8 will be the panel to watch out for, especially if it's priced under the Vierra's current price.

Unbelievable Glen. You just finished telling foggy not to go on memory when comparing panels, yet you base this report on just that. Your doing a report on a panel with just a few hours on it, in unsuitable lighting conditions, with a menu and panel you have never used before, with equipment that best suits the Fuji but may not suit the Panny and virtually walking away saying they are a heap of crap. BTW, how could you call the Vierra's surround ugly when your comparing to the plain grey plastic bezel of the Fuji.

To date, I have seen 4 of the new Vierras. With background noise, I could not detect any buzzing from any of them, Two of them looked brilliant, the other 2 were running composite and svideo out of a dvd player and looked OK.

As you probably already know, these panels come highly recommended by the Fuji owners dishler and Pat Marcus on avsforum. Dishler even posted saying that its the best 42" panel he has seen.

I agree with Al's comment that these panels are going to be very popular. I couldn't give a rat's if they are the best 42" panel or not, they are certainly the best valued quality plasma to date.

Hmmmmm.....Did i miss something? Did Glenn say anything about the panels being a "heap of crap?" And how does someone 'virtually walk'? Never seen it done?

Geez, i thought i would seem obvious to all that he just presented his thoughts for a quick assessment.

Glenn, was this the 42" or 50" model you had a look at? Just need to clariffy that before i go on another rant.

The Vieras out of the box come with the picture setting "dynamic" enabled, and I must say it doesnt do the set any justice. I have mine set to standard, made some other tweaks and the pic is drop dead gorgous(pardon my spelling). The noise in the picture magically disappears, I havent seen any motion artifacts on mine yet.

The Vieras out of the box come with the picture setting "dynamic" enabled, and I must say it doesnt do the set any justice. I have mine set to standard, made some other tweaks and the pic is drop dead gorgous(pardon my spelling). The noise in the picture magically disappears, I havent seen any motion artifacts on mine yet.

Is this the same ddarby I know or is it the guy from the camera department ?

Unbelievable Glen. You just finished telling foggy not to go on memory when comparing panels, yet you base this report on just that.

Cummo you are right i mentioned to Al not to base it on memory as Al does not own the 50" where i do and sit in front of it every day so there is a difference

Your doing a report on a panel with just a few hours on it, in unsuitable lighting conditions, with a menu and panel you have never used before, with equipment that best suits the Fuji but may not suit the Panny

I bought the Fujitsu under the same conditions nothing was different and i dont feel i have been wrong about that as many will testify.

As far as equipment goes there are pleanty of happy people out with the AUSID and dont own Fujitsu panels and as for the 3910 best suiting the Fujitsu come on man surely you dont believe that.

and virtually walking away saying they are a heap of crap. BTW, how could you call the Vierra's surround ugly when your comparing to the plain grey plastic bezel of the Fuji.

Go back and read through my post mate i have not called it a heap of crap at all i raised some points that i did not like about sorry if this does not meet your opinion

To date, I have seen 4 of the new Vierras. With background noise, I could not detect any buzzing from any of them,

Try bringing up a all white screen or raise the contrast to a watachable level and watch a bright sceen

Two of them looked brilliant, the other 2 were running composite and svideo out of a dvd player and looked OK.

We all see things differently dont we and what i seen did not appeal again sorry thid not meet with your approval

As you probably already know, these panels come highly recommended by the Fuji owners dishler and Pat Marcus on avsforum. Dishler even posted saying that its the best 42" panel he has seen.

Mate i base my opinion on what i see not what others say and to keep the record straight i payed no attention to the 42" at all so i will not comment on this it may very well be the best around

I agree with Al's comment that these panels are going to be very popular. I couldn't give a rat's if they are the best 42" panel or not, they are certainly the best valued quality plasma to date.

This may be the case where they are the best value around but in my opinion best value does not always mean best performance and this is my primary objective

cummo, I'll still stand by my comment that pana is going to sell a mountain of these.

And no I did not here any buzz either but that was in megamart with bloody plasmas everywhere.

Even with a drastically reduced fuji sitting next to it the damn pana was cheaper sitting there with rrp on it. And with both on out of the box settings(thats what joe average is going compare it on) the pana just killed the fuji no question. Keep in mind I'm talking about 42" panels here cannot comment on the 50"

As far as styling well I still prefer my previous gen hitachi's looks to anything out there and that just goes to show thats something very much down to personal taste.

Unless someone does a shoot out, side by side with both panels with enough hours and both professionally calibrated, there would be no such thing as a proper comparison.

Al i am only commenting on the 50" nothing else

I could not and would not base any opinion on out of the box settings and will say one thing the 50" Fujitsu looks like crap out of the box, Had i based my buying decision on out of the box settings the Fujitsu would still be in the store and to be 100% honest i would still be watching my 80cm Sharp

As mentioned to Cummo i have not doubt Pana will sell a heaps of these just as LG and Samsung have sold a heap of 50" panels and by far the Pana is a better option.

My little run with the Pana was not meant to be a shoot out but more a first observation of the unit to see if i felt it was worth persuing for myself and i walked out not interested in taking it any further.

Hmmmmm.....Did i miss something? Did Glenn say anything about the panels being a "heap of crap?" And how does someone 'virtually walk'? Never seen it done?

Geez, i thought i would seem obvious to all that he just presented his thoughts for a quick assessment.

Glenn, was this the 42" or 50" model you had a look at? Just need to clariffy that before i go on another rant.

I dont know how the 42" got into the discussion personally right or wrong i dont give a rats about the 42"

It was the 50"

Edit post

My fault i did not state it was a 42" or 50" and i edited my post

You guys seem to know a fair bit about the Viera models. I'm interrested in the 500A but I see that it has no menu options for managing image retention. Some blurb on the Pana's I've seen says that their latest generation phosphors are highly resistant to image retention - as good as a crt. What I need to know - is that just sales blurb by Panasonic? Are the Pana's so superior to most other plasmas in this regard they really don't need this technology (i.e. pixel movement, whitewash etc).

I'm nervous about spending over 4 grand on a television that has no technology to remove image retention in the unfortunate situation where this might actually occur. I know it has a screen saver and you can colour the side panels for 4 by 3. That helps to stop image retention but there seems to be nothing to fix it should it occur.

What's the story? Your advice would be very much appreciated as this is the only thing holding me back from putting my hard-earned on the table for this model.

You guys seem to know a fair bit about the Viera models. I'm interrested in the 500A but I see that it has no menu options for managing image retention. Some blurb on the Pana's I've seen says that their latest generation phosphors are highly resistant to image retention - as good as a crt. What I need to know - is that just sales blurb by Panasonic? Are the Pana's so superior to most other plasmas in this regard they really don't need this technology (i.e. pixel movement, whitewash etc).

I'm nervous about spending over 4 grand on a television that has no technology to remove image retention in the unfortunate situation where this might actually occur. I know it has a screen saver and you can colour the side panels for 4 by 3. That helps to stop image retention but there seems to be nothing to fix it should it occur.

What's the story? Your advice would be very much appreciated as this is the only thing holding me back from putting my hard-earned on the table for this model.

Have a read of some of the recent threads on image retention/burn-in. Ultimately, just use the plasma wisely and you'll be fine.

If panasonic state that image retention is as good as a crt then they are straight out telling lies. Full stop!

What's pana's warranty?

I'm actually more nervous about spending $7,000 on a 50" fuji that only carries 1 year on the glass and 3 years on the electronics. And they call this a 3 year warranty. No pioneers offers a full 5 yeard warranty, now that's a warranty. Even though the picture quality is another issue. Whoops, stop hijacking the thread...shinrai...naughty!

Hey David

One thing you will find with the Panasonic and Fujitsu 42" Sd and Fujitsu 50"HD using the Pana glass is that it is not as susseptable to image retention as other modles.

Panasonic have this as under control as possible but i would not trust that they are like a CRT , I mean they may be but i am not going to test it :blink:

Honestly dude i am not running any of the image retention reducing functionality on my Fujitsu and its been no issue at all

Have a read of some of the recent threads on image retention/burn-in. Ultimately, just use the plasma wisely and you'll be fine.

If panasonic state that image retention is as good as a crt then they are straight out telling lies. Full stop!

What's pana's warranty?

I'm actually more nervous about spending $7,000 on a 50" fuji that only carries 1 year on the glass and 3 years on the electronics. And they call this a 3 year warranty. No pioneers offers a full 5 yeard warranty, now that's a warranty. Even though the picture quality is another issue. Whoops, stop hijacking the thread...shinrai...naughty!

Hey dude

The Panasonic warranty is 1 year full stop

Cummo

Would you buy the new Vierra ? Do you think its better than the Panny Plasma youve got now ?

No Angelo, I'm more than happy with my Panny/Iscan HD+ setup. I doubt that there's much out there that would provide a better picture with foxtel and with Canberra's low quality FTA. The Vierras are dedicated televisions with a bit of styling and a very good picture. I really like their new sub pixel controlled processing which is being carried foward into the G8 commercial panels. It provides a sharp picture with good colours and deep blacks. When connected correctly and placed amoung other brands in a store it stands out.

The Vierra range of panels never seem to perform as well as their commercial counterparts which is why if I was looking to update, I'd be looking at a new 50" Fuji or waiting for the new G8 Panasonics or Pioneers.

Informative post as always shinrai. Rants are all your posts seem to be. Maybe a little research behind some of them would be nice..but then again they do bring a smile to my face and they are part of the reason I enjoy this forum so much. Keep the good work coming sunshine.

Informative post as always shinrai. Rants are all your posts seem to be. Maybe a little research behind some of them would be nice..but then again they do bring a smile to my face and they are part of the reason I enjoy this forum so much. Keep the good work coming sunshine.

Hmmmm, cummo, condescending seems to be your specialty. Obviously, no one can match your level of understanding or knowledge. Forgive me.

You do know that you can criticise and be nice about it, don't you?

No Angelo, I'm more than happy with my Panny/Iscan HD+ setup. I doubt that there's much out there that would provide a better picture with foxtel and with Canberra's low quality FTA. The Vierras are dedicated televisions with a bit of styling and a very good picture. I really like their new sub pixel controlled processing which is being carried foward into the G8 commercial panels. It provides a sharp picture with good colours and deep blacks. When connected correctly and placed amoung other brands in a store it stands out.

The Vierra range of panels never seem to perform as well as their commercial counterparts which is why if I was looking to update, I'd be looking at a new 50" Fuji or waiting for the new G8 Panasonics or Pioneers.

Thats exactly what I was thinking.

Hey David

One thing you will find with the Panasonic and Fujitsu 42" Sd and Fujitsu 50"HD using the Pana glass is that it is not as susseptable to image retention as other modles.

Panasonic have this as under control as possible but i would not trust that they are like a CRT , I mean they may be but i am not going to test it :blink:

Honestly dude i am not running any of the image retention reducing functionality on my Fujitsu and its been no issue at all

Thanks Glencol. I know that the new Samsung has a bunch of image retention removal technologies but for $250 extra I am really keen on the Panasonic. I think you may have convinced me.

David