New Panasonic Plasmas?

Guest modi

Good to hear from you on this ddarby.  What STB are you using with it?

I tried a Teac DVB-800, Samsung HD Box, Hotchip box, LG LST5100 and settled with the Panasonic TH-HDT104 box. No coincidence I now have the Panasonic Box,

but I would like a Force 705HD and would like to try the AUSID unit. I did set up a Fuji 42inch HDwith the AUSID unit and I wasnt overly impressed. Crap remote for starters but not really an issue. Still saw solarisation on the panel with this box, appread to be no better than a few other boxes that I have tried but it wasn't a direct comparison to compare the AUSID box in this situation in it's defence. If you are reading this Angelo ( Macca says hi anyway) what are your thoughts on this box? Just a little of topic...... :blink:

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I happened to go past megamart in chadstone this evening and noticed they had the G8 42" pana on display.

One thing I will say - panasonic is going to sell an absolute mountain of these.

It was setup next to the fuji WS 42" and the fuji looked absolute crap next to it. Pale weak washed out. Now both had out of the box settings according to the sales guy and ofcourse probably not doing either panle justice and perhaps one or the other a diservice. And I know the fuji is probably setup using the ambi light sensor & god only knows what it was hooked upto and god knows what the pana was hooked upto. But honestly with the pana at a $4999 price on the shelf and the fuji sitting next to it with a $6999 crossed down to $5299 it would be a no brainer for your average person looking for a HD plasma.

By the way the fuji had the ausid parked next to it with a $1199 price hanging next to it.

Also the pana was extremely fresh out of the box infact the guy said they even had to set it up using the previous series stand not the funny looking stand on the new model panel. He said the stands arrived next week ! :blink:

Oh and very funnily the sales guy described the fuji WS as the old model ? saying he had the US model out the back - more evidence of the forum word being spread !

I think its taken panasonic a fair old while to get it right - a HD plasma with the right packaging(well apart from the new models crook stand) and digital inputs. But really I think theyre got something out there thats going to be very competitive with what else is out there and at an extremely attractive price.

I happened to go past megamart in chadstone this evening and noticed they had the G8 42" pana on display.

One thing I will say - panasonic is going to sell an absolute mountain of these.

It was setup next to the fuji WS 42" and the fuji looked absolute crap next to it. Pale weak washed out. Now both had out of the box settings according to the sales guy and ofcourse probably not doing either panle justice and perhaps one or the other a diservice. And I know the fuji is probably setup using the ambi light sensor & god only knows what it was hooked upto and god knows what the pana was hooked upto. But honestly with the pana at a $4999 price on the shelf and the fuji sitting next to it with a $6999 crossed down to $5299 it would be a no brainer for your average person looking for a HD plasma.

By the way the fuji had the ausid parked next to it with a $1199 price hanging next to it.

Also the pana was extremely fresh out of the box infact the guy said they even had to set it up using the previous series stand not the funny looking stand on the new model panel. He said the stands arrived next week ! :blink:

Oh and very funnily the sales guy described the fuji WS as the old model ? saying he had the US model out the back - more evidence of the forum word being spread !

I think its taken panasonic a fair old while to get it right - a HD plasma with the right packaging(well apart from the new models crook stand) and digital inputs. But really I think theyre got something out there thats going to be very competitive with what else is out there and at an extremely attractive price.

Hhmmmm, I also saw it today at Clive Peters and it's got more shades of black on the face of it than some plasmas have behind the glass. Looks a little cheap for me. And as far as how it performed: Brightness was a little high but otherwise nice sharp.

• 2 weeks later...

I took a good look at the new Panny V500 50" panel at Homezone Sydney today and came away very impressed.

There was no Fuji 50" in the store to compare with, but based on my memory of the hundreds of times I have ogled/leered/drooled at the Fuji 50", I think that Fujitsu Australia will have to do something drastic very quickly, or they won't be selling too many panels. :blink:

IMHO the PQ from the new Panny will be very competitive with the Fuji, I can't say for certain because they had a an average quality demo DVD on a dodgy Sony DVD player via dodgy component cables. The blacks were awesome, colours were good, even the out of the box settings weren't too bad (a little too much red for my liking though), and best of all, there was no juddering

The Fuji still has a an extra DVI port, but the Panny has very stylishly integrated speakers and a nice stand, and the best thing about the new Panny....... the price! Without me even negotiating, the salesman was talking "low sixes".

I'm sad to say that If I was buying a new 50" panel today, it might not be a Fuji that I come home with. :P:P:D ...... unless they do something about their pricing.

Hmmmm,

Good price Foggy.

Just too many problems at avs.

Depends who you talk to. If you read all the threads at AV Forums some people are 100% happy with no issues whatsoever. The sheer popularity of the 42PV500 (just look at the amount of threads dedicated to it) has meant that there are heaps of people posting about problems when they pop up. Like any AV product, the more popular it is the more threads you'll find dedicated to it’s problems. This makes it look like its has tons of problems, but in reality it generally has the same level of minor issues as any other plasma on the market. Anyone that claims to have a perfect plasma (or display of any kind for that matter) is kidding themselves, as they all have problems of one sort or another.

The only real potential issue with the PV500 (one that effects all panels) seems to be ‘auto contrast feature’ which some people notice kicking in an out, but others never see at all (just like dynamic iris features on digital projectors, and even on Sony's highly acclaimed SXRD sets). The same could be said about things like rainbow effect on DLPs. Some people could never live with it, others never see it.

Some people have also noticed buzzing on the PV500, but this seems to only affect a small amount of panels, and I’m yet to see a brand of plasma that hasn’t had reports about this to some degree.

I'm not a big fan of the Viera styling (comes down to personal taste of course) but for the prices of the new panels, they look like excellent value, given the top notch image quality they deliver.

I took a good look at the new Panny V500 50" panel at Homezone Sydney today and came away very impressed.

There was no Fuji 50" in the store to compare with, but based on my memory of the hundreds of times I have ogled/leered/drooled at the Fuji 50", I think that Fujitsu Australia will have to do something drastic very quickly, or they won't be selling too many panels.  :blink:

IMHO the PQ from the new Panny will be very competitive with the Fuji, I can't say for certain because they had a an average quality demo DVD on a dodgy Sony DVD player via dodgy component cables. The blacks were awesome, colours were good, even the out of the box settings weren't too bad (a little too much red for my liking though), and best of all, there was no juddering

The Fuji still has a an extra DVI port, but the Panny has very stylishly integrated speakers and a nice stand, and the best thing about the new Panny....... the price! Without me even negotiating, the salesman was talking "low sixes".

I'm sad to say that If I was buying a new 50" panel today, it might not be a Fuji that I come home with. :P  :P  :D      ...... unless they do something about their pricing.

Yeah i have had a discussion with a few on AV forums about these panles and there are two guys worse than myself and Angelo put together in changing panels.

both have said there would be no way they would give up the Fujitsu for the Panasonic due to the issues people are having and once set up the Fuji is still out ahead in terms of PQ.

Remember Foggy you are going off memory on the Fujitsu and the memory you have is of a store set up panel v a store setup Pana

Yeah i have had a discussion with a few on AV forums about these panles and there are two guys worse than myself and Angelo put together in changing panels.

both have said there would be no way they would give up the Fujitsu for the Panasonic due to the issues people are having and once set up the Fuji is still out ahead in terms of PQ.

Remember Foggy you are going off memory on the Fujitsu and the memory you have is of a store set up panel v a store setup Pana

Agreed on that point Glenn. It's not really the most valid comparison as the source was also very poor, but from what I saw, this panel has a lot of potential.

..... and then there's the price :blink:

Agreed on that point Glenn. It's not really the most valid comparison as the source was also very poor, but from what I saw, this panel has a lot of potential.

..... and then there's the price  :P

I am out tonight to have a look and drive but will be calling home for some ref disc's

God i cant wait to tell the wife what we are doing tonight :blink:

I am out tonight to have a look and drive but will be calling home for some ref disc's

God i cant wait to tell the wife what we are doing tonight :blink:

:P

Retailers have coined a term for our (male) behaviour around the AV section of a store. They call it "parking" the husband while the female shops, that's one parking lot I don't mind waiting in. :P

..... and then there's the price  :blink:

That's more the point. I don’t think anyone is doubting that the Fujitsu 50" probably still has the edge in overall picture quality (expect for black levels which everyone agrees are far better on the Panasonic) but when you consider the massive price difference, the 50" Panasonic will be an excellent option for many people.

That's more the point. I don’t think anyone is doubting that the Fujitsu 50" probably still has the edge in overall picture quality (expect for black levels which everyone agrees are far better on the Panasonic) but when you consider the massive price difference, the 50" Panasonic will be an excellent option for many people.

I think your spot on there darklord the pana at the price it is, is certainly going to be a very hard one to go by for plasma buyers out there.

So if the new pana's are 8uy does that mean that the fuji's are based on the 7uy pana glass?

that is correct the latest panas have the 8 series and fuji use the older 7. the fuji though does use avmii which fuji owners say makes the difference

Hye Darky

Sorry mate but there will be no difference between the Pana and Fujitsu as far as black levels as the Fujitsu is using Panasonic glass at 3000:1 contrast

And after having the unit calibrated Aaron has conformed that the Fujitsu is one of the closet speced unit on the mart to the advertised specs.

As mentioned the real life contrast was at 2900:1 where the Panasonics have fallen in some cases well below this

I think your spot on there darklord the pana at the price it is, is certainly going to be a very hard one to go by for plasma buyers out there.

that is correct the latest panas have the 8 series and fuji use the older 7. the fuji though does use avmii which fuji owners say makes the difference

You are right about one thing and this is not only my opinion the Fujitsu AVM11 is at this point in time at the top of the tree in plasma processing

:blink:

Retailers have coined a term for our (male) behaviour around the AV section of a store. They call it "parking" the husband while the female shops, that's one parking lot I don't mind waiting in.  :P

Wife said now fing way in hell are we looking at anymore Plasma's

I will have to go tomorrow

you can always say its not for you but for us !

don't think she'd buy it though.  :blink:

Man i think there is something wrong with her i am really worried

Everytime i mention Plasma's or H\T equipment her eye's roll in the back of her head and she almosts passes out

Personally i think she ie so excited about this gear even the thought of going shipping makes her dizzy

I know i am going to get smacked