Is 7HD worth watching on a digital display?

I'm using a AE700 LCD projector and I've read that all digital display devices are progressive whether they are fed an interlaced signal or a progressive signal.

So I'm wondering if the channel 7 SD feed in 576i is going to be displayed as 576p via my projector, will it be the same as 7's "HD" signal of 576p???

You are correct in saying you PJ is a "progressive" display device. If 7 was transmitting 576 50P from an original 576 50 frame progressive source there might be a point to their "HD" channel.

My experience has been that 7's 576i SD is better than their 576P "HD" channel. I imagine the reason for this is related to bit rate, poor de-interlacing of interlaced sources, and a lack of true progressive content.

So yes, 576i will be displayed as 576P, and it will, in general, be the same, (if not better), than 7's HD.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget the other "reasons", ie, political ones. Seven's owner has been on record as stating he doesn't want HD in Australia. If you watch his HD and come out of it thinking it's not as good as SD, then, well, there you go, right?

CK.

Don't forget the other "reasons", ie, political ones. Seven's owner has been on record as stating he doesn't want HD in Australia. If you watch his HD and come out of it thinking it's not as good as SD, then, well, there you go, right?

Well he's not going to be able to stop Blu-Ray/HD-DVD and he can't stop the other broadcasters from using real HD. Stokes is living in a fantasy world if he thinks he can stop progress.

I emailed seven's Sunrise joke of the day the other day with

"Why does channel 7 keep advertising their shows as High Definition?

Because if they didn't tell you you'd never know the difference."

Stokes is a joke.

LOL.

7hd is on all widescreen tvs in harvey norman and all that on the display tvs all the time.

which is the reason why my stomach turns every time i walk past them...

if you've ever seen the 7HD loop on the 60" grand wega, you'd understand what i mean... they turn down the contrast and brightness and all that in order to make it look passable, but in the end, you can still see all the artifacts and grain and all that. I would LOVE to see it on PRiME - they'd do a much better job of showing the HD loop

• 2 weeks later...
lol i thought i had a shitty settop box after atching the 'hd' channel 7 demo

how the hell do they get away with running it as a 'hd' demo?????

7 HD on my PLASMA is ordinary & the normal 7 is fine with the inbuilt up-scaling.The only hd that stands out is the occassional movie on 9 .Thats after 6 months viewing . In the first few days everything looks outstanding but over time you notice the differences.CSI type shows , outdoor scenes, are superb.I missed the ABC on 1080 i .Thanks for the info on Prime.