"Acid" testing a .tp stream to High Bit DVD

My curiosity got the better of me.

As anyone is aware I use two tools for DVD transcode.

VideoRedo Plus and Nero 6.

Testing file a 20Gig transport stream of Taken. (2 hours)

The tp contailed of course all streams . SD, HD and EPG channel of Nine.

The recorded file resided on the HPTC.

On another networked computer I did my editing of this the tp.

Videredo detected the file fine. I immediately did a cleanup of the tp.

I selected 1080i with the AC3 stream and did quick fix and the resultant file dropped to about 16gig for 2 hours of the selected 1080i AC3 stream.

It was saved as MPEG and it everything worked.

I closed the tp and attempted to load the MPEG cleaned up stream in VideoRedo. Failed.

I closed VideoRedo Plus then reloaded VideoRedo, loading the same file MPG. Worked.

I then edited out the ads in the file. Worked. Dropped to 12 gig in resultant MPEG file.

Now for Nero 6.

Loaded the edited MPEG (12gig). Nero detected the AC3 stream and the 1080i fine.

Choose export to high rate MPEG 2 (just under 10mbps) with AC3. Nero is still working on the file. It will take about 24 hours - but the computer I am doing this on is a P4 800MHZ!.

It is still transocding and everything looks fine.

I will let everyone in on the result.

Using such large files (20Gig) certainly pushes the robustness of these programs.

Having a tp stream instead of a selected MPG stream is certainly a questionable way to go.

But I thought I would see just how robust these programs are.

When it is completed I will test in standalone DVD player (appliance) and let everyone know.

DA

I need to correct some of those sizes in the above test:

Source: Recording of entire tp stream Channel Nine Taken

Original .tp = 20gig. (2hrs running time duration of viewing)

Cleaned up selected 1080i with AC3 = 11.07gig (2 hrs duration of MPEG viewing)

Removed ads = 8.1gig (1hr 38minutes approx duration of MPEG viewing)

High bit rate transcode to MPEG 2 with ac3 (720 * 576i @ 12mbps) (transcoded in Nero 6) = 6.4Gig

Now to test as DVD Authored to DVD compliance. (Nero 6)

Ajm:

I don't know why Plus would not work as opposed to the other. I am getting errors that do not show on the slower PC as opposed to the higher speed PC.

One has an Intel P4 800MHz processor with LESS RAM and the other is an AMD 3Gig Barton Core with 1Gig Ram.

DA

Using DVD Shrink to fit onto 4.7Gig DVD Mode 5 instead of Nero <-- same program in Nero but chose DVD Shrink over Nero.

Should have used standard quality DVD instead of hi-bit rates as does not fit.

Do not have dual layer driver nor media, too expensive (> 9Gig capacity).

Everything fine so far - all insync, still going through encode to DVD Shrink. Using improved quality option as well standard sharpness setting.

Quality thus far is simply stunning. No out of sync issues at all.

Still it is interesting with incredible shrinking ts format file 20Gig size that I started with.

For one thing it highlights the stability of NTFS file system in WindowsXP.

DA

Well I finalised this whole exercise.

I have all the files at stages to final DVD.

The results were excellent. I now have a perfect DVD version of this whole thing with DOLBY DIGITAL 2 at the max bit rate allowable and filling the entire single layer DVD (4.8Gig)

All working and tested in three standalone DVD players.

No corruption / sync issues - just a nice looking DVD without ads just looks like a high quality movie.

And all done on a P3 - 800MHZ computer with 256MB of SRAM!

Patience :blink:

DA

Source Channel Nine

Recorded on DVICO software.

Whole Transport Stream.

Reception @ 92%.

BER @ .01

dB @ 22.9

PC recording stats. Barton AMD 3Gig, 1gig RAM, 120Gig HD, 9600XT radeon, MSI Mobo.

PC editing stats. P3 800, 256k RAM, 120Gig HD, nVidia MX440, AOpen VIA Mobo

Wired: Network @ 100mbps. Router Belkin Wireless/LAN splitter four share/cable modem Telstra direct to Belkin Router / Firewalled.

Environment: Household.

Aerial and Cables: all quad, "f" connectors, very High gain Aerial, 4 way splitter with slightly amped 4 signal output.

You would get better results using AVI2DVD with CCE encoder doing 2-3 passes. But it would take a lot longer and most likely the extra quality not really worth the hassle.

The way of above is a very expensive encoder.

Because I'm using a HTPC I could use the H.264 codec embedded in Nero 6 which not only provides lower bit rates but also now provides 1080i HD rendering proper at quality for size that is simply UNBELIEVABLE.

With that encoder gaining popularity worldwide as The alternative to HIGH definition broadcasting I 'sampled' Alien verses Preditor and made it fit on an ordinary CD as an experiment in comparing it to DVD MPEG 2 (the files were about 3.7Gig). Well I compressed to LESS then 1mbps with AAC sound I was simply astounded by the quality. This was unbelievable at that bit rate and the transcoded file was around 720MB!

Now imagine what you could do with 1080i but keeping the bit rate alot higher then just the harsh testing I did to that CD.

Why I did this exercise was to prove to my own satifaction that MPEG 2 could be stable with compression of a 1080i TRANSPORT stream direct from Channel 9 and including DD 2 in the sound at highest bit rates.

I did have the option of keeping the 12mbps max out on MPEG 2 (6 Gig) but due to the fact I don't have a dual layer driver along with dual layer media I cannot test such a high bit rate on a DVD player. I really don't know whether it would play it or not.

The CCE codec only takes a AVI file - is that correct?

It will not remain a MPEG 2 world forever. This codec mentioned above is the way of the future.

Everyone here should seriously consider this Nero 6 stuff. IMHO - it is one of the most value for money complete suites around at present -

The list is endless what you can do with it:

Examples:

H.264 in proper HD resolution transcoding.

Transcode DD 2 sound to DD 5.1

Backup utilities.

DVD player.

Media Player

Broadcast stream ready for future (fifth generation media clients that handle HD and have DVI-D/HDMI output.

DVD Shrink embedded but DVD's must be encrypted. <--Nero wanted to de-encrypt DVDs but the legal issues were huge for a commercial product. That's why DVDShrink remains free. The moment the author attempts to sell the product the MPAA will come down on him like a ton of bricks.

Create and encode DVD's.

Capture DV / S-video / composite.

DV compatible transcoding at levels DV 1 and Dv 2 standards along with transcode feature. <--this means your simple AVI or now referred to as DV standards.

Cut and edit ads out of DTV transport streams.

Transcode 1080i/720p and other non-compliant MPEG standards directly.

Media quality testing and exmaination of device burners.

Adpative deintnerlacing as opposed to weave simplex.

This is all found in Nero 6 suite. And with BOTH DNTV Live recording and Nebula MPG recordings you can directly take the recordings into Nero without using any other tools if your reception situation is of high quality.

DA