New Panasonic Vieras - HDMI/Solarisation Queries

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting

How does it stack up so far to to others?

Compared to the previous model Panasonic HD Viera 30A, the new panel is significantly better in picture quality. Blacks are really deep and with good source material the image is almost 3-D. I am most happy even at this early stage. Am using the Oppo 971H via DVI to HDMI and that is also contributing to the PQ.

Considering that 50hz support sounds like it was added as an afterthought, i'd be really concerned about judder.

Unlike other manufacturers, Panasonic do not use frame rate converters in their panels. If they say it has 50Hz support, then there will be no judder. As far as the 50Hz support being an after thought, Panasonic have had 18 months of negative press to think about getting it right.

Trainspotter,

I am quoting from the supplied operating instructions for the new Vieras. The C.A.T.S. sensor (Contrast Automatic Tracking System) automatically senses the ambient light conditions and adjusts the brightness and gradation accordingly, to optimize contrast. C.A.T.S. is in effect when Menu in Picture menu is set to Auto. In Picture Menu, Menu mode is memorised for each input (TV, AV1,AV2,AV3,AV4,PC,HDMI and Card operations) and each mode has 4 options Dynamic, Standard, Cinema, Auto. Under these 4 options are the adjustable Contrast, Brightness, Colour, Sharpness, NTSC-Tint, Colour temp,Colour management, D.Pnr, MPEG Nr and 3D-Comb.

I have tried the Auto setting with different light conditions but there isn't any major noticeable effect seen. If there is any change, it is very subtle. I believe that the CATS is more applicable to the LCD TVs.

Thanks for the info LeTan. That's great news. Glad you're happy with your new purchase.

After I get a chance to properly evulate the new 50" Viera, if it lives up to it's reputation I'm almost positive it will be my next display.

No this would be refering to no 1080i @ 60Hz available

Actually it's just Panasonic’s crappy marketing. The HDMI inpout supports 480i@60hz/480p@60hz/576i@50hz/576p@50hz/720p@50hz/720p@60hz/1080i@50hz and 1080i@60hz. In other words every format imaginable (except for 1080p anyway :blink: ). The only limitation via HDMI is no support for many custom PC resolutions (but it will sync to most of these via VGA input so it’s not a big issue).

Considering that 50hz support sounds like it was added as an afterthought, i'd be really concerned about judder.

What makes you think 50hz was an afterthought? It’s using the new HDMI chipset and Panasonic's 8th gen technology which natively supports 50hz (both input and display). The very fact it has a 100hz mode is testament to this.

Out of the many hundreds of threads at the UK AV Forums discussing this plasma, I'm yet to see a single mention of 50hz judder.

I'm referring to dvi for computer use. VGA does not cut it for me.

Are there any plasma panels on the market that actually support a 50Hz. computer signal without frame rate converting it to 60Hz?