New Panasonic Vieras - HDMI/Solarisation Queries

Thanks for the info Glen. That's great news.

So as a summary it now appears that:

1. Australia will be getting these new plasmas sometime in August.

2. They are indeed the new G8 Panels with 8.6 Billion colours.

3. HDMI input supports 720/50p and 1080/50i.

4. Overall image quality is reportedly excellent.

5. RRP prices are $8799 for the H-50PV500A 50" and $5999 for the TH-42PV500A 42".

I imagine these plasmas will be strong competitors to Fujitsu, NEC and Pioneer upon release. Particularly at this lower price point.

The only real concerns I have revolve around the dynamic contrast feature. From the sounds of it this is processing that dynamically alters contrast depending on material being displayed (which is how I imagine they can achieve a contrast ratio as good as 4000:1). This is similar to the auto-iris feature popping up on new 720p digital projectors (like the HS-10 and AE700) that significantly improves black levels. The problem being that sometimes this change in black level is visible (for example black bars will shift in brightness noticeably on occasion) drawing you away from the image. Going by AV Forums posts, it’s a mixed bag between people that say they never notice it and its not an issue, to people that can’t stand it and are going as far as retuning their plasma as a result! I'm praying that I'm in the first camp. Unlikely though given my general pedantic nature and susceptibility to other video related artifacts! :blink:

the dynamic contrast feature can't be turned off ?.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the dynamic contrast feature can't be turned off ?.

No. Not even via the service menu. However there is rumours of a firmware update on the way to resolve this.

It’s worth noting this "feature" is popping up on many new US plasmas to increase contrast ratio. AVS Forums have threads about Samsung and LG models also exhibiting this issue. I've seen it happen once on an LCD projector with auto iris and did find it a little distracting. Hard to say how much of a problem it would be with regular viewing, but its annoying that it cant be switched off on the new Panasonics (it can be disabled on most other models from the sounds of it, at the expense of black levels going out the window).

No. Not even via the service menu. However there is rumours of a firmware update on the way to resolve this.

It’s worth noting this "feature" is popping up on many new US plasmas to increase contrast ratio. AVS Forums have threads about Samsung and LG models also exhibiting this issue. I've seen it happen once on an LCD projector with auto iris and did find it a little distracting.  Hard to say how much of a problem it would be with regular viewing, but its annoying that it cant be switched off on the new Panasonics (it can be disabled on most other models from the sounds of it, at the expense of black levels going out the window).

I tell you if panasonic can sort this issue out this is shaping up to be one hell of a plasma !

I tell you if panasonic can sort this issue out this is shaping up to be one hell of a plasma !

Absolutely. Apart from the contrast issue, many users on the AV Forums are reporting it as having the best picture quality of any 42" plasma on the market.

I'm really hoping the problem isn’t noticeable or is rectified altogether, as I'm getting very sick of researching plasma screens! :blink:

TH-50PV500A/42PV500A

50-inch (127 cm) High-Definition Monitor (1080i, 720p, 576p)

42-inch (106 cm) High-Definition Monitor (1080i, 720p, 576p)

• G8 HD Plasma Panel [XGA Resolution]

• VIERA Colour Management System

• Max 8.6 Billion Equivalent Colours [2,0483 shades of gradation]

• 3,000:1 Contrast

• 3D Colour Management

• Sub-Pixel Control

• 1080i, 720p and 576p

• Motion Pattern Noise Reduction

• Dynamic contrast—Active ACTIVE LIGHT CONTROL

• Smart Sound Speaker System

• Powerful Twin Woofers

• Ultra Slim left right 16mm speakers

• SD Video (MPEG4) Recording/Playback (Recording via Analogue Tuner only)

• Photo Viewer SD/PC Card Slots

• HDMI Input

• PC Input

• Multi Window

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys,

I was interested to read the other day that Panasonic have just released (or about to release?) some new Viera plasmas in Australia that now feature HDMI inputs.

This is of particular interest to me, as I’ve always liked the overall picture quality of the Panasonic 42” Viera, but its lack of digital connectivity pretty much ruled it out as an option in the past.

I do however recall hearing about problems with HDMI inputs overseas where the HDMI input on Panasonic Plasmas was limited to 576p only (and 60 Hz only for anything higher resolution).

Does anyone know if this will be the case for the new Australian Panasonic plasmas? I would expect that given they are designed for the Australian market that they will be fully compliant with all Australian HD standards via HDMI, but getting info on this is proving very difficult.

Another question I have is in regards to solarisation/false contouring on Panasonics. I can’t say I’ve never noticed any solarisation on Vieras in stores, but I’m yet to properly evaluate one with a wide range of material so I’m unsure whether it’s a known problem. The reason I ask is Panasonic lists the Viera range as having a colour palette of only 16.7 million/256 levels of grey which from my understanding is one of the biggest culprits in causing solarisation during movement (where as panels with 1.07 billion/1024 grey scale level seem to suffer from this much less). Is this correct? Can anyone confirm whether solarisation is a problem on Panasonic screens? As this is one of my pet hates on cheap plasmas.

From the initial look I’ve had at Vieras they seem to have very nice image quality with excellent contrast and black levels (3000:1 advertised contrast ratio) so if they have a fully functional HDMI input, and minimal solarisation, I think this will be the plasma for me.

I called Panasonic last week about the new PH42PA50a plasma that is due in stores early August ticket price should be around $3500 , no info on their website however this model is supposed be an improvement on the previous model, HN guy I spoke to said that they most probably would be around the $3100/ $3200 price.

I called Panasonic last week about the new PH42PA50a plasma that is due in stores early August ticket price should be around $3500 , no info on their website however this model is supposed be an improvement on the previous  model, HN guy I spoke to said that they most probably would be around the $3100/ $3200 price.

Any news on the TH-42PV500A model which I believe is a HD model??

Any news on the TH-42PV500A model which I believe is a HD model??

I only asked about the SD model , I would imagine that both would be released together, a salesman told me that he seen the SD set up and running at panasonic and it was very good , I did a google search for the model number and got nothing.

I only asked about the SD model , I would imagine that both would be released together, a salesman told me that he seen the SD set up and running at panasonic and it was very good , I did a google search for the model number and got nothing.

Just phoned Good Guys in Perth, heard of them but he's not sure when they are due in or what price they will be!!

Hi,

New to this forum but have been reading your posts about the Panasonic TH-42PV500A.

They are available now at Megamart Stores, Casula. The 42PV500A is high definition and their listed price is $4999. The TH-42PA50A is only Standard Def. A comment on the Dynamic Contrast - Active Light Control is only enabled in the Auto mode in the Picture Menu. The 50 inch HD set is not available till mid-August.

PQ is very good via HDMI as well as component. There is heaps of user adjustable options available. Am still playing with the adjustments.

Hi,

New to this forum but have been reading your posts about the Panasonic TH-42PV500A.

They are available now at Megamart Stores, Casula. The 42PV500A is high definition and their listed price is $4999. The TH-42PA50A is only Standard Def.

Good to know they have finally been released. I’ve seen a couple of new TV ads, but I notice that Panasonic is still listing the older models on their website.

A comment on the Dynamic Contrast - Active Light Control is only enabled in the Auto mode in the Picture Menu.

Are you sure this setting effects dynamic contrast? Does switching it off/on noticeable effect black levels? Can you notice the contrast dynamically changing if it is set to on? This would be very big news if it was able to be switched off on the Australian model, as it definitely can’t be on the UK/US models (even via the service menu). Seems unlikely they’d release the Australian range with this extra level of control but I guess it’s possible. Let's hope so as the dynamic contrast issue was the only real thing holding me back in going for a new Viera!

Trainspotter,

I am quoting from the supplied operating instructions for the new Vieras. The C.A.T.S. sensor (Contrast Automatic Tracking System) automatically senses the ambient light conditions and adjusts the brightness and gradation accordingly, to optimize contrast. C.A.T.S. is in effect when Menu in Picture menu is set to Auto. In Picture Menu, Menu mode is memorised for each input (TV, AV1,AV2,AV3,AV4,PC,HDMI and Card operations) and each mode has 4 options Dynamic, Standard, Cinema, Auto. Under these 4 options are the adjustable Contrast, Brightness, Colour, Sharpness, NTSC-Tint, Colour temp,Colour management, D.Pnr, MPEG Nr and 3D-Comb.

I have tried the Auto setting with different light conditions but there isn't any major noticeable effect seen. If there is any change, it is very subtle. I believe that the CATS is more applicable to the LCD TVs.

TH-42PA50A

I saw the above at Myers City Melbourne.

The dynamic contrast would seriously concern me for fast action movies.

Did i read that the HDMI quality is not up to scratch? Not as clear as component for some users? Hope i'm wrong.

But that rrp is crazy because we all know what street prices should be great.

PANA 127cm Widescreen Plasma Television TH50PV500A

50" Wide VIERA Built-in Tuner more...

Related Searches: viera | hd plasma | stb

G5037 $6998.00

I'm not sure if this is allowed?

The price is from DSE. Are they for real? Wow.

Street price should be awesome.

PANA 127cm Widescreen Plasma Television TH50PV500A

50" Wide VIERA Built-in Tuner more...

Related Searches: viera | hd plasma | stb

G5037 $6998.00

I'm not sure if this is allowed?

The price is from DSE. Are they for real? Wow.

Street price should be awesome.

Panasonic site now have the new vieras listed with prices!

http://panasonic.com.au/products/category.cfm?objectID=46

Panasonic site now have the new vieras listed with prices!

http://panasonic.com.au/products/category.cfm?objectID=46

yes and it definetely says hdmi input and 8th generation panel. I wonder why they dropped the 37" - I guess these ones are just so reasonably priced. Your right shinrai given the rrp the street prices on these will indeed be pretty amazing I'd say. Not sure on the 42" pedestal stand either.

lack of dvi is not an issue you can use a dvi to hdmi cable or adapter to get a round that one.