Sign in to follow this  
jimdgoulding

The Tennis US OPen

In the matches going on in the US and Canada up to the US Open in New York, some interesting stuff is happening. Nadal lost to Del Potro who has beaten Roddick twice in very close, competitive matches, one for a tournament. After having beaten Roddick for the second time in a row, 6'7" Del Potro gets outplayed by the more versatile and cagey Murray. But, Del Potro has come into his own.

Jelena Jankovich, who has performed terribly in the recent tourmaments, whipped the snot out of the favorite Safina and did so to Dementieva, also, who has been playing very well since getting squashed by Venus. Jank lost 12 or 15 lbs to get ready and said adding it in the first place was a mistake. Man, she looked sharpe! The Williams sisters aren't playing well but that will most likely change in two weeks. Think I'm bettin against them this year, tho.

Thanks for the report Jim............did you get my last PM over the weekend?:D

Cheers,

Keith

Maybe I'm getting old and grumpy but I really struggle to get up any interest to watch the women's tournaments these days ... screaming on pissy second serves and drop shots just turns me off.

Maybe I'm getting old and grumpy but I really struggle to get up any interest to watch the women's tournaments these days ... screaming on pissy second serves and drop shots just turns me off.

Lots a gruntin going on these days but drop shots are winners when they work. Jank kept Safina off balance by opening up the court with her shot placement. Safina would have overpowered her if she hadn't (she must outweigh her by 30-40lbs). That is some system you got there, my friend.

Edited by jimdgoulding

Lots a gruntin going on these days but drop shots are winners when they work....

I have no problem with drop shots, it's when these women shriek/squeel when they hit drop shots or chip approaches that just makes me laugh, shake my head, then change channel. Letting out a bit of a grunt on a really big drive or when lunging is fine, but not on every shot of every rally. The only "older generation" player I can think of off the top of my head that made noise consistently was Virginia Ruzici but her volume was far lower and it was more like an air brakes sound than a scream.

End of rant :D Have been in bed with flu since Friday night and feeling miserable. Doesn't help that I'm coughing, sneezing and spluttering so much and head is so foggy that I haven't even turned on the system.

...That is some system you got there, my friend.

Thanks Jim, it has been a lifelong journey. Thanks to judicious upgrades the $ investment is now only a fraction of what it used to be, and the brand names are largely gone, but it sounds better than it ever has. To take it up a large step from here would probably now take a chunk of change and a war with SWMBO .... a man's gotta know his limitations. :)

tennis is boring yo watch these days as all the games are the same. all baseline stuff and nobody likes to come to the net like laver and rosewell did back when tennis was played on grass

nothing like a live match that goes the distance tho

The last 2 matches last year at aussie open by Rafa were unbelievable

nothing like a live match that goes the distance tho

The last 2 matches last year at aussie open by Rafa were unbelievable

I was there too Norpus and they were quiete incredible to sit through...........bloody hot from memory as well! Will keep an eye out for you next year!:D

Cheers,

Keith

DSK- I hear ya. Most of my stuff- all the expensive stuff could be considered vintage today- but I still listen a lot and have been able to listen with a lot of systems around town. We have an audio club where I live and frequently meet at one another's homes. My system in my room allows me to groove and sigh continuously and does some specific things very well not at all shrouded to me by more lauded and expensive systems. I think it's a synergy thing. I'm feelin ya. Be well.

Dementiava won the last preliminary here to the Open. Whupped Serena bad in the quarters. But, I'll tell you who looked VERY formidable up to the final (vs. Dementiava) when she had little left in her tank, Sharapova. I mean she was whippin it, whippin it good! Bloody fierce she was.

Hi Jim, are you a chance to get over to New York for the Open?

We had six young blokes in the Qualies with only two, Luczak and Ball, left in the last round.....good luck guys!

Only Hewitt and Guccione are in the main draw at this point to fly the aussie flag. Haven't had a look at the ladies draw yet but we have to be looking better with Sam Stosur playing pretty well of late!:party

Cheers,

Keith

Peter Luczak lost last round of Qualies but Ball won his last match to go through to the main draw.............that would be Carsten's best result so far in tennis for sure! Three American lads made main draw too Jim...........Yani, Witten and Young. I don't know Yani and Witten but you guys have got big raps for Donald Young.

Cheers,

Keith

Hi Jim, are you a chance to get over to New York for the Open?

We had six young blokes in the Qualies with only two, Luczak and Ball, left in the last round.....good luck guys!

Only Hewitt and Guccione are in the main draw at this point to fly the aussie flag. Haven't had a look at the ladies draw yet but we have to be looking better with Sam Stosur playing pretty well of late!:P

Cheers,

Keith

Stosur is a contender, I would think. Regrettably, I won't be attending this year. Looks like an especially good one, too.

Well, Stosur fell already much to everyone's surprise. Venus looked pretty bad in her first match but re-grouped and was lethal in her second. She came to the net more often than ever. Think she's trying to get a game together for Sharapova in the event she meets her later. I know she doesn't want to lose to Maria. Hewitt advances impressively.

Tennis fans were looking forward to Dementieva vs. Sharapova tomorrow but that is not to be. Dem was eliminated just now by a 17 year old little fireplug fleet as a rabbit named Melanie Oudan (who embarrassed Jankovic at Wimbleton) in 3 sets. She is from the US. Sharapova will likely be her next opponent. Enjoy the moment, miss, you were spectacular. Dem could have won a $1,000,000.00 bonus had she gone on to win the Open cause of her finish in the prelims. Tough, tough loss for her, I'm sure.

Edited by jimdgoulding

Well, Stosur fell already much to everyone's surprise. Venus looked pretty bad in her first match but re-grouped and was lethal in her second. She came to the net more often than ever. Think she's trying to get a game together for Sharapova in the event she meets her later. I know she doesn't want to lose to Maria. Hewitt advances impressively.

Even if you can't get there this year Jim at least you can watch it on TV. I'm in Adelaide with only free to air TV.............I hope they show the semis & finals on free to air as it's my only chance of catching it with no Foxtel [pay & pay some more TV!] over here.

Lleyton looks to be in great form and he would have loved his win over Chela as they have had some issues between them in the past. I can't see him beating Roger though and I think Roger will make it No 14 in a row. Carsten Ball is the only other Aussie man in at the moment but he has a huge task to get over Djokovic...............Carsten is a really talented lefty and I hope he can cause a big upset!

Cheers,

Keith

Even if you can't get there this year Jim at least you can watch it on TV. I'm in Adelaide with only free to air TV.............I hope they show the semis & finals on free to air as it's my only chance of catching it with no Foxtel [pay & pay some more TV!] over here.

Lleyton looks to be in great form and he would have loved his win over Chela as they have had some issues between them in the past. I can't see him beating Roger though and I think Roger will make it No 14 in a row. Carsten Ball is the only other Aussie man in at the moment but he has a huge task to get over Djokovic...............Carsten is a really talented lefty and I hope he can cause a big upset!

Cheers,

Keith

Sorry you can't see this, Keith, it's wild over here. Oudan upset Sharapova tho with some help from Maria herself with 21 double faults and Roddick was outplayed by 6'9" Isner. Lleyton played very well but lost to Fed in four. Nadal advances.

Federer looked a little shaky against Hewitt but always seems to come through in the end. Nadal seems to have the spring in his step again which is promising. I hope the Nadal v Federer rivalry can reignite itself as that's all mens tennis has going for itself at the moment. "Excitement plus" Murray isn't exactly going to give tennis a boost though he is a damn good player.

Quite a tournament for the ladies as you may have read about by now. Expect Fed to keep the ball low on Del Potro. Think he had better. That dude has bazookas on both sides!

Quite a tournament for the ladies as you may have read about by now. Expect Fed to keep the ball low on Del Potro. Think he had better. That dude has bazookas on both sides!

I can't believe that Serena still can't bring herself to aplogise for her threatening behaviour. The physical was just as bad as the verbal.

Wonder what slap on the wrist she will receive from the tour?

Cheers

wolster

She makes the blokes look puny! Some added entertainment to the ladies game I say.

That's all Fed has to do really. Powerful players have never really threatened Roger as he just absorbs their shots. Players with extra spins and pace do though. Think Nadal and Murray.

I can't believe that Serena still can't bring herself to aplogise for her threatening behaviour. The physical was just as bad as the verbal.

Wonder what slap on the wrist she will receive from the tour?

Cheers

wolster

She got a $12,000.00 fine from the WTA which would be like hitting Mike Tyson with a feather duster.............she'll notice it about as much! Very lame behaviour from Serena and no apology forthcoming no matter how many times she was given the opportunity in the post match press conference. Poor form and good on Aussie Kim for going on to take the title today.

Cheers,

Keith

[PS] How good is Federer? In for a chance now to win GS title number 15!

I thought Federer broke Sampras' record of 14 Grand Slams when he won Wimbledon again this year. I think he is going for a record 6th straight US Open in the Open era and an overall 16th Grand Slam. The way he is playing at the moment I see him finishing his career at around 19 or 20 Grand Slams.

She got a $12,000.00 fine from the WTA which would be like hitting Mike Tyson with a feather duster.............she'll notice it about as much! Very lame behaviour from Serena and no apology forthcoming no matter how many times she was given the opportunity in the post match press conference. Poor form and good on Aussie Kim for going on to take the title today.

Cheers,

Keith

As I read it, Keith, that was just the maximum fine that could be imposed by the tournament. There is now a separate review under the WTA Grand Slam rules. From reading a view by a U.S. lawyer who has studied these rules, should Serena be found to be guilty of 'aggravated behaviour', she could lose all prize money from the tournament and be suspended for up to a year.

Cheers

wolster

I can't believe that Serena still can't bring herself to aplogise for her threatening behaviour. The physical was just as bad as the verbal...

Absolutely disgraceful! Such a poor example for a role model yet such a perfect example of how the Williams sisters (esp. Serena) have always felt themselves to be bigger than the sport. There is no doubt they have been great for women's tennis but I quickly tired of Serena constantly losing ungracefully ... always saying how badly she played and almost never acknowledging the opposition.

While watching, before we knew what she said, I said the same thing to my wife ... that she should be penalised immediately for such threatening behaviour to an official. After the second go she should have been immediately defaulted, forget the penalty point, and banned from the next grand slam tournament... a tiny fine is useless as a penalty or deterence, Serena probably carries around more than that in loose change in her pocket.

Perhaps she'll stop and wonder why, even before the incident, the US crowd were mostly supporting Kim ... let alone being boo'd off the court afterwards. Then again, probably not ... it's never her fault. :)

I can't believe how unapologetic she was in the post match interview. I hope she thinks about it in the next few days and realises that she needs to make a public apology to the official and her fans.

Jeez, if you did what she did in public you'd be arrested for assault.