Power surge and protection?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there,

Was wondering if anyone had purchased a SurgeShield A2 in recent history, and if so, could you please advise how much, and where from?

(There seem to be lots of A1's around, but not so many A2's...)

Cheers! :blink:

I noticed that !!

I was looking @ either that one or the Belkin 8-way isolator.

Tricky Dicky has the Belkin for $199, the main difference AFAIK is the Belkin has a lifetime warranty ??

Keep us informed !!!

Austen.

I noticed that !!

I was looking @ either that one or the Belkin 8-way isolator.

Tricky Dicky has the Belkin for $199, the main difference AFAIK is the Belkin has a lifetime warranty ??

Keep us informed !!!

Austen.

For anyone interested, I have a contact for on-line purchase of the SurgeShield A2 for $175 (plus delivery, approx $9).

For anyone that has been looking, there are plenty of places to find the A1, but the A2 is a little trickier, especially seeing the next best price I could find on-line for the A2 was $249.

Please PM for details if interested :blink:

Cheers :P

• 6 months later...

G'day Gang!

This is a surprise posting after I pretty much blew up most of my hi-fi system! I bought a Belkin Pur Av protector board when I got my Samsung 106 Plasma screen. At 3 grand for a TV it seemed ok to spend $300 on a surge protector. I then was unlucky enough to blow up my speaker system. See this post for the details:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=25445&hl=

I reluctantly put in a claim to Belkin while expecting them, like most insurance type companies, to find some crap excuse not to pay me anything based on the fact that I wasn't even home at the time ( I was interstate!!) and that it's not their fault if my receiver failed etc etc etc....

To my amazement they instantly replaced my protector board and invited me to make a claim. I sent them a quote for repairs to my JBL front and rear speakers which were wrecked. The bill was over $1100. They sent me a cheque in pretty reasonable time. I was a bit gobsmacked to get the whole amount without any bullshit excuses.

It is not very often that you can recommend a company for good service when you are as cynical as I can be!

If you have a valuable hi-fi and/or TV system then I have no hesitation in recommending Belkin surge protectors. At least they deserve to be seriously considered. I look at it as $100 for the board and $200 for the insurance policy.

I am in Perth and have absolutely no connection whatsoever to this company. In fact, I didn't even know that they insured against damage until I did a websearch for them after my mishap.

I hope my experience will help some of you in the future.

all the best

Neil Taylor

contact details removed

Hi All,

Has anyone had any exposure/hands on with the Belkin PureAV Home Theatre Power Console PF30 or PF40's? They've only been newly listed on the Belkin website, but they seem like a worthwhile investment for the $15k plus investment in the rest of my home theatre (soon to be with an LCD telly).

Tim

Hi All,

Has anyone had any exposure/hands on with the Belkin PureAV Home Theatre Power Console PF30 or PF40's? They've only been newly listed on the Belkin website, but they seem like a worthwhile investment for the $15k plus investment in the rest of my home theatre (soon to be with an LCD telly).

Tim

I have a PF30 on order. ETA middle of next week. Will post feedback once arrives.

Guest Jay Tee

I bought two shrinkage serge protector single connection outlets from K-Mart for $5.00 each. I plugged one into the wall and then plugged a conventional eight outlet powerboard into it and connected all my home theatre equipment into the powerboard. The other I used it and another eight slot powerboard for the computer and sundry other office equipment. Is there any reason this setup won't work. Why should I have to have a surge protector for each electronic device when it seems to me like one will do the job as long as all the electronics run through it????

Tim

I purchased myself a Belkin Surge with Tel and AV for around $99 at HT after my Pana 50A died from a power spike - can't vouch for how they perform (nothing gone wrong yet) but a mate reckons his saved his Plamsa and Home Theatre late last year during a storm when he was away.

Hi All,

Tim

I have the Belkin PureAv 8 hole board, but am I confident it'll do anything if the lightning again hits the neighbours gutters ? No.

But I do have a fair degree of confidence in Belkins Lifetime ....

If-It's-Plugged-Into-The-Surge-Protector-We'll-Fix-It warranty ...................

Austen.

I'm thinking of buying Surge Shield's A2 power board:

http://www.surgeshield.com.au/a2.htm

Have any forum members used this product?

A number of online computer stores sell Surge Shield's A1 powerboard. The A1 is identical to the A2 except for one difference: the A1 has an input socket for a telephone cable and the A2 has an input socket for a TV antenna cable. The cheapest price that I have found for the A1 is $130 (plus postage):

http://www.bookshop.curtin.edu.au/computershop.html

I got one of these from bookshop delivered last week its great and considering they had the exact same one at harvey normans for $300 its a bargain.Postage is $9.90 anywhere in aus.

ps. i think the "special $130" is over and they are $160 now

How about surge protection through your fuse box?

yes doesn't seem to get much of a mention does it ? you'd think this would make the most sense as would protect all devices in the house rather than individual devices.

just how much better are these devices anyway for surge protection than the $1.50 devices you buy in the supermarket.

• 1 month later...
I guess things like refrigerators and air conditioners on the "inside" of the fuse box can cause individual circuit spikes that would require filters at the individual power points anyway.

Maybe this has something to do with it?

Tim

Yesterday at WOW they had some brand that was $200 marked down to $80. Bi-Rite had the same thing marked at $299. I will go grab one today. Best thing about them for me was they had 1 aerial in and 2 aerial out, something I need for my setup.

EDIT: http://www.crestonline.biz/product.php?prodcode=PBS6C or similar. Crest Xstream model PB-18A, not bad for $80

Edited by Guru-Choc

Yesterday at WOW they had some brand that was $200 marked down to $80. Bi-Rite had the same thing marked at $299. I will go grab one today. Best thing about them for me was they had 1 aerial in and 2 aerial out, something I need for my setup.

EDIT: http://www.crestonline.biz/product.php?prodcode=PBS6C or similar. Crest Xstream model PB-18A, not bad for $80

which part of WOW? do you have an url?

Noddy

• 3 months later...

The powerlines in my area are all underground, would that play a role in providing extra protection from power surges? That... plus circuit breakers installed on the property's electricity box and a Belkin surge protector power board. Does that sound like adequate protection?

We sent back to Belkin 2 x 6 way power surge protectors that were 3 years old and no longer displayed the correct power light. We had no receipt and we forgot where we bought them. Within 3 days Belkin sent us 2 new ones, no questions asked.

Best thing about them for me was they had 1 aerial in and 2 aerial out, something I need for my setup.

This is handy, but if you have RG6 Quad shield cables from the wall socket into the Belkin, you will then have to spend extra money to buy another length of RG6 cables from the aerial out into your tv!