My Plasma Made Me Sick

Is there a larger screen than the sony that can do 1080p.

Of course there is.

A properly set up CRT RPTV easy outperforms a Sony 86cm. CRT

Much better convergence, geometry and higher resolution, not to mention MUCH finer pitch.

Actually zero pitch as three tube CRT systems don’t have pixel’s and therefor zero dot pitch.

Try viewing the Sony 86cm from 1.6 meters, if you can’t see the geometry and conversance problems you need to look harder.

Now imagine an image near three times the area, with near perfect geometry, convergence, greater resolution, equal if not better blacks and shadow detail and you have a good CRT RPTV.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so the title of this post is a little misleading but what can you do.

I got a new Plasma on the weekend.  I got a great deal and am very happy with the unit (an LG 42" High Def with High Def tuner built in).  I set it up last night and after a few hours of watching I started to feel ill.  I lost my appetite and felt nausia.  I went to bed and woke up fine.  I was fine all day today, but again after a few hours watching I felt the same way.  It could just be a coincidence but I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this.  Maybe it is a slight smell from the new plastic heating up setting me off or some kind of emission.  It is in a bed room so it's not a large room.

jees never thought 'lg' products had that sort of effect on people ! :blink:

seriously though for me even with my 37" plasma 2m would be too close we sit about 2.5-3m away. I know some on here post watching screens at 1.5-2m but really I don't know how they do it - it would be like sittign in the front row of the cinema for me and I'd be pretty soon sick from it too.

If you can't move the seating a bit further away perhaps the 42" is a bit too imposing for the size room you have anyway you can swap it for a 32" or 37".

All that said I remember angelo posting he felt dizzy and sick after going up from his 42" to 50" but from all accounts didn't take him that long to get used to viewing a screen that size - perhaps this is the explanation why he then proceeded to sell up on the 50" and move up to his awa 66cm widescreen TV ! :P only joking angelo !

jees never thought 'lg' products had that sort of effect on people !  :blink:

seriously though for me even with my 37" plasma 2m would be too close we sit about 2.5-3m away. I know some on here post watching screens at 1.5-2m but really I don't know how they do it - it would be like sittign in the front row of the cinema for me and I'd be pretty soon sick from it too.

If you can't move the seating a bit further away perhaps the 42" is a bit too imposing for the size room you have anyway you can swap it for a 32" or 37".

All that said I remember angelo posting he felt dizzy and sick after going up from his 42" to 50" but from all accounts didn't take him that long to get used to viewing a screen that size - perhaps this is the explanation why he then proceeded to sell up on the 50" and move up to his awa 66cm widescreen TV !  :P only joking angelo !

I think the people sitting 1.5 to 2 meters must be talking about CRT RPTV or CRT TV's i cant see how you would do it with a DLP , LCD RPTV or plasma's

Ok well plasma's make me sick... Just like DLP's do. Move my head I see a full rainbow on a DLP - I see this on every plasma to... However I only see Yellow on the plasma, not a full rainbow of colours...

I thought I was just weird but I cant shake it, I was at JB hifi the other day, viewing the plasma's drove me nuts i kept seeing the quickest flash of yellow when i moved my head....

All that said I remember angelo posting he felt dizzy and sick after going up from his 42" to 50" but from all accounts didn't take him that long to get used to viewing a screen that size - perhaps this is the explanation why he then proceeded to sell up on the 50" and move up to his awa 66cm widescreen TV ! laugh.gif only joking angelo !

I had the 50 set on 50Hz and it stopped. Then the solarization gave me the sh^ts and so I changed it back to 60Hz and started to feel sick again.

If the Fuji does the same thing Ill be head hunting a particular forum member who cant control his woody !!! :blink:

Ok well plasma's make me sick... Just like DLP's do.  Move my head I see a full rainbow on a DLP - I see this on every plasma to... However I only see Yellow on the plasma, not a full rainbow of colours...

I thought I was just weird but I cant shake it, I was at JB hifi the other day, viewing the plasma's drove me nuts i kept seeing the quickest flash of yellow when i moved my head....

I remember once someone posting this might be due to his contacts - is this perhaps the case here ?

I wonder why you only see yellow rainbows ?

Alebonau,

I know this sounds strange, but viewing your 37” screen from 1.8 meters is about the same as the BACK row of the average cinema.

Viewing from 1.6 meters is like the middle of the cinema, and is the recommended THX viewing distance.

Cinema screens are BIG.

Alebonau,

I know this sounds strange, but viewing your 37” screen from 1.8 meters is about the same as the BACK row of the average cinema.

Viewing from 1.6 meters is like the middle of the cinema, and is the recommended THX viewing distance.

Cinema screens are BIG.

Owen as much as the thx and other viewing distance calculator will tell you what distance to sit from a screen really I think this comes down to personal prefernce and peoples own comfort levels

Like glen said in his post above people who post like you do must be speaking in reference to "CRT RPTV or CRT TV's" or PJ's I don't think recommendations made based on the viewing distance calculator) has much if any relevance to plasmas or smaller screen TVs - honestly !

Watching my plasma from 1.6m is not something I want to be doing.

As I said above below 2m regular viewing and even my plasma would make me pretty sick

*editted my post as think it was a bit way off first off the bat ! :blink:

I never said the viewing your Plasma from that close a distance was a good idea.

Very few, if any Plasma’s are acceptable at a 26 degree or greater viewing angel, and that is why I don’t have one.

I was simply responding to your comment,

it would be like sittign in the front row of the cinema

This is plainly incorrect

I beg to differ Owen. I watch my plasma from about a 70 degree angle when I'm sitting at the dinner table without any problem or reduction in image quality.

same here and upto a lot more than 70 deg with our couches either side. maybe your talking about lcds owen or RPTVs.

Well IMHO 2mtr in front of a 42" plasma is too close for comfort - at that distance I would see every little inmperfection from the source and the plasma itself...

People trying to recreate the cinema experiance by sitting close to a plasma set are fooling themsleves if you ask me - the only way to experiance a true cinema experiance at home is with front projector beaming on to a 6' screen in a pitch black (or close) room.

I sit about 3mtr from my 37" Hitachi and I can still see when the newsreaders camera is out of focus or smeared with Vaseline...

In general it looks good though, even with movies, and if I can be bothered with cranking up the old Sony HS10 then I can experiance a decently realistic cinema experiance without counting pixels or feeling queasy, as I would if I were sat 6' from my plasma.

BTW I also see rainbows from plasma sets - especially on scenes with bright white objects moving against a black background - it's almost like a coloured strobe effect - perhaps that's what's causing the OP's sickness - 'rainbow' effect is not always obvious - it's a very subtle thing that builds up without you realising it over a few hours - and new owners of plasma's are probably spending hours in front of their new toys...

Ok, so the title of this post is a little misleading but what can you do.

I got a new Plasma on the weekend.  I got a great deal and am very happy with the unit (an LG 42" High Def with High Def tuner built in).  I set it up last night and after a few hours of watching I started to feel ill.  I lost my appetite and felt nausia.  I went to bed and woke up fine.  I was fine all day today, but again after a few hours watching I felt the same way.  It could just be a coincidence but I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this.  Maybe it is a slight smell from the new plastic heating up setting me off or some kind of emission.  It is in a bed room so it's not a large room.

Stop watching Big Brother