Toshiba J35 new firmware

Just to be a little paranoid/pedantic

You are using an HDMI DVI cable?

Getting what resolution.

What audio are you getting?

5.1, or just stereo 2.0

I am using the optical output, which is connected to my Yamaha receiver. I have never seen it change to full 5.1 surround when anything. I can only assume that the source only outputs stereo, or the Yamaha cannot handle 5.1 optical input.

I am not using HDMI or DVI connections yet, just s-video :blink:

The TV is next on the list to be upgraded, which I have been doing my due diligence in this area - which TV is a whole other dicsussion.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pretty sure it'll be the source i.e. the station/program that is not in 5.1. It only ever does it in test loops or specific live Australian programs (a blockbuster movie from time to time) . That's what I've noticed before when digital TV first started (my STB is not connected via optical for the past 12 months)

pretty sure it'll be the source i.e. the station/program that is not in 5.1. It only ever does it in test loops or specific live Australian programs (a blockbuster movie from time to time) . That's what I've noticed before when digital TV first started (my STB is not connected via optical for the past 12 months)

I have heard 5.1 twice, both times in adds of all things. Frightened the living daylight out of me. Thought someone was in the room talking to me.

I have a Yamaha YSP-1 connected to the J35 via an optical cable.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Thought I'd let you know that having been through all the crap with my HDD-J35 (and its piss-weak remote), I was about to throw the towel in after the replacement/reconditioned unit Castel gave me with the V70 firmware starts locking up and displaying "INIT" even after I've pulled the plug out and plugging it back in.

I called Castel (03 9484 3788) to give them a piece of my mind and spoke with Jack. Poor bugger, I do sympathise with him but it is a lot of money to pay for a lemon. In any case, he advised me to hang in there as V73 of the firmware is currently being tested and should be available next week (Dec 12) which probably means just before Christmas. Apparently V71 is now available and V72 has already been superceeeded prior to its release. Guess the support team have been busy, although they should've done this 6 months ago before releasing the units. And he also told me how to fix the locking problem. Tap the front panel as the wires are likely to be loose. And guess what !!! It bloody worked. You gotta laugh.

One last chance ... the pains you go through to enjoy the great PQ and convenience of the unit.

And he also told me how to fix the locking problem. Tap the front panel as the wires are likely to be loose. And guess what !!! It bloody worked. You gotta laugh.

Hi..........

mikec said here.........

(In the J35 firmware V71) Forum that he had actually touched the subject ribbon cable up with solder.

(Apologies to all concerned, not 100% sure if mikec is taking the credit for being first to identify the problem)

However, For whatever reason, All HDD-J35 discussions seem to of moved to the J35 firmware V71 Forum. Great info regarding the new Firmware, Question is, How (or even will) existing pre-V73 users get it.

I'll take the liberty of copying your post to the other forum, we'll should try to keep the J35 stuff in one place, IMHO :blink: !!

Austen.

For reference, This Links to the (current) last post in the other Forum.

Hi all,

Thought I'd let you know that having been through all the crap with my HDD-J35 (and its piss-weak remote), I was about to throw the towel in after the replacement/reconditioned unit Castel gave me with the V70 firmware starts locking up and displaying "INIT" even after I've pulled the plug out and plugging it back in.

I called Castel (03 9484 3788) to give them a piece of my mind and spoke with Jack. Poor bugger, I do sympathise with him but it is a lot of money to pay for a lemon. In any case, he advised me to hang in there as V73 of the firmware is currently being tested and should be available next week (Dec 12) which probably means just before Christmas. Apparently V71 is now available and V72 has already been superceeeded prior to its release. Guess the support team have been busy, although they should've done this 6 months ago before releasing the units. And he also told me how to fix the locking problem. Tap the front panel as the wires are likely to be loose. And guess what !!! It bloody worked. You gotta laugh.

One last chance ... the pains you go through to enjoy the great PQ and convenience of the unit.

Michael,

See the other posts about the problems with random reboots and hardware issues internal to the unit (notably the ribbon connection between the front panel and main PCBs)

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=23871

I was told by Castel that V73 specifically fixed the Daylight Savings Time issue for regional customers.