Gday all

Quick question - I've just received this HD STB, it's ll aup and running and working.

It's running component into a denon 1905 receiver and i'm projecting from the panny ae 700 also through component into the receiver.

Is it just me but I'm just not blown away by the picture quality. It is better than running through my VCR for TV as I was before but I though HD was supposed to be better than DVD quality. Am I wrong here? Because DVD's look way better thatn the picture I'm getting from the HD channels - and yes I'm tuning into the HD channel not the SD one. I have an exterior antenna which is 'Digital Ready' I'm wandering if I have to do anything else or if any one can shed some light on what I may be doing wrong.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Cheers

hmm, im thinking of getting this HD boc as can get it for $200, but your story doesnt look promising. hoping uve done something wrong

Gday all

Quick question - I've just received this HD STB, it's ll aup and running and working.

It's running component into a denon 1905 receiver and i'm projecting from the panny ae 700 also through component into the receiver.

Is it just me but I'm just not blown away by the picture quality. It is better than running through my VCR for TV as I was before but I though HD was supposed to be better than DVD quality. Am I wrong here? Because DVD's look way better thatn the picture I'm getting from the HD channels - and yes I'm tuning into the HD channel not the SD one. I have an exterior antenna which is 'Digital Ready' I'm wandering if I have to do anything else or if any one can shed some light on what I may be doing wrong.

Cheers

Just a thought, but have you checked the setup on the HD box that selects the scan rate/type? Check that the HD box is set to 1080i. although some TV stations transmit other scan rates. Most HD boxes allow selction either on the remote or as part of the setup process. Good quality cables can also help, particularly over longer distances.

The antenna shouldn't be an issue providing it receives an adequate analogue signal. There is no such thing as "digital ready" as applied to antennae. It's just a sales pitch to help empty your wallet.

Cheers

PilotPal.

I have the same HD box and another SD box both connected through S-video to a HD Sony plasma screen. To be honest I can not see little difference between these two boxes and if I now know what I know I would not bother with a HD box and possibly have to think whether it is worth investing in a HD monitor. Having said that though I am very impressed with the picture quality.

Gday all

Cheers

yeh it's running at 1080i and cable is fine

although tonight the picture quality did improve - maybe it's the transmission? do you get different quality at different times?

also the picture has improved but it's not as sharp as a dvd people still look a little blurred around the edges....

I'm pretty sure you can't transmit a HD signal through SVideo. You need to connect with something 'better' like Component or RGBHV. I'm no expert so I could be wrong.

I have the same HD box and another SD box both connected through S-video to a HD Sony plasma screen. To be honest I can not see little difference between these two boxes and if I now know what I know I would not bother with a HD box and possibly have to think whether it is worth investing in a HD monitor. Having said that though I am very impressed with the picture quality.

I'm pretty sure you can't transmit a HD signal through SVideo. You need to connect with something 'better' like Component or RGBHV. I'm no expert so I could be wrong.

Im certain this is true also, you would be loosing the HD encoding on an s/video lead. No idea what it ends up giving out as the signal instead though.

I understand what you are saying and I agree that the s-video lead is not adequate however this should not cause a problem when watching SD stations through the same box? I have tried try using a RGB connection directly to the plasma screen and still the same effect occurs. As you can see I am desperately trying to convince myself there is a problem with the box :blink:

What scaler has the projector ?

From what is saw the panasonic is 1280x720 ? which means the HD signal would be scaled down from 1440.

Dont forget that the HD signal processing is x2 - x4 that of DVD signal so cables etc do play a part.

I have one of these boxes also and when i watch the HD channel on a normal TV the picture appears soft due to the limitations of the TV. I am sure if i hooked it up to my projector it would look alot better.

Dont forget also, the HD signal is only as good as the transmitter is sending - ozzie HD aint anything spectacular.

hmmm

thanks for the replies i can't say mine is clear as a bell, as i said it's definatelly better than going through the VCR but not as good as DVD's

I'm running both the DVD player and the set top box through component into the receiver - denon 1905. i wonder if i'm missing something in the settings..... but i don't think so

I understand what you are saying and I agree that the s-video lead is not adequate however this should not cause a problem when watching SD stations through the same box? I have tried try using a RGB connection directly to the plasma screen and still the same effect occurs.  As you can see I am desperately trying to convince myself there is a problem with the box  :blink:

G'day...

Sorry, but the Sony you've described, what model is it and what input connections does it have. I can assume it would be a 100Hz HD capable model, thus would have a VGA (D-SUB) port, which would be the best to use. I can see a large difference between SD on component and HD on VGA on my display. I don't think there is anything wrong with the box. The source may be the fault, get the better connection and watch a "native HD" program in 1080i from 9 or 10...

JSmith :ph34r:

I have noticed that it can have a bad picture sometimes - in some shows. It does seem to be something to do with how the particular show is broadcast. On one channel it will be fine - clear as a bell. On another fuzzy (kind of out of focus), perhaps worse than SD through my Topfield.

For example the ABC during Spicks & Specks and The Glass House it was fuzzy. The test loops being shown on WIN and SCT (this is in Northern Tasmania) are fantastic.

This is a DigiCrystal HDT-9200 box connected to a Sony KVHR36M31 (a CRT HD TV). I'd love to try another HD STB.

Hi all,

I just got my digicrystal HD STB, picture was clear for me, however there are small white spots (like white pixels) moving around the screen, and they blink like stars. Anyone else seen this? Think this is this normal?

yes out of focus is what i would desribe it. btw starv r u talking to me?

Yes, but it applies to anyone who has a prob and wants to know :blink:

Addtional info for anyone is that I have mine set to 720P. Its as good as DVD in MHO.

Peck889:

I haven't notived any white spots moving around the picture. Sounds odd to me.

starv - can u give a more detailed explanation of what you mean in terms of hooking it up.

i have a projector running to the receiver 'monitor' the stb is plugged into the receiver directly with component.

hope this helps.

Gday all

Cheers

I also have the 9200 which I upgraded from the Digicrystal 8800 and to be honest, I don't think the quality of the hardware or the software in the 9200 is that great. It runs an LG tuner while the 8800 runs a Phillips tuner. Interestingly, the 8800 has been upgraded to the 8900 and now runs a LG tuner. Anyway, I initially set it up just using composite video through my Yamaha AV receiver and it looked fine although no better then the SD box. Having said that, I upgraded to an AWA 81cm LCD at the same time which I've never run with the SD box. The LCD has VGA input (Dsub15) so I went out and spent heaps on cable and hooked it all up only to find it was awful. The picture was not as vibrant as it is with composite (which apparently is normal and also applies to component) but worse still, the picture quality was noticably worse. Particularly solid colours which looked grainy. I tried 1080i and 720p and theres virtually nothing in it, but I reckon it looked better on 720p. I then hooked it up using component and it's marginally better but still not as good as composite. So yes, I think you're right in that the quality of the box is not as good as some. Even though my head tells me that VGA and component should be better than composite, I just use composite now because my eyes tell me it looks better. So, just as an experiment, try composite. I use middle of the road 75ohm composite cables. As someone once said to me, the better the quality of the TV the better the quality of the crap it reproduces. I think a good TV just hi-lights the deficencies of the 9200. Perhaps that's why they're seeling so cheap. Still, at $159 I paid I still think it's awsome value. Now if only TV stations could improve the quality of their programming which is all over the place quality wise.

I also have the 9200 which I upgraded from the Digicrystal 8800 and to be honest, I don't think the quality of the hardware or the software in the 9200 is that great. It runs an LG tuner while the 8800 runs a Phillips tuner. Interestingly, the 8800 has been upgraded to the 8900 and now runs a LG tuner. Anyway, I initially set it up just using composite video through my Yamaha AV receiver and it looked fine although no better then the SD box. Having said that, I upgraded to an AWA 81cm LCD at the same time which I've never run with the SD box. The LCD has VGA input (Dsub15) so I went out and spent heaps on cable and hooked it all up only to find it was awful. The picture was not as vibrant as it is with composite (which apparently is normal and also applies to component) but worse still, the picture quality was noticably worse. Particularly solid colours which looked grainy. I tried 1080i and 720p and theres virtually nothing in it, but I reckon it looked better on 720p. I then hooked it up using component and it's marginally better but still not as good as composite. So yes, I think you're right in that the quality of the box is not as good as some. Even though my head tells me that VGA and component should be better than composite, I just use composite now because my eyes tell me it looks better. So, just as an experiment, try composite. I use middle of the road 75ohm composite cables. As someone once said to me, the better the quality of the TV the better the quality of the crap it reproduces. I think a good TV just hi-lights the deficencies of the 9200. Perhaps that's why they're seeling so cheap. Still, at $159 I paid I still think it's awsome value. Now if only TV stations could improve the quality of their programming which is all over the place quality wise.

LCDs will always show up flaws in compressed video with low bit rates. Try play a Divx file on a LCD and u can see it at its worse. What makes it even worse that most LCDs are only 16.2 million colours.

• 2 weeks later...
starv - can u give a more detailed explanation of what you mean in terms of hooking it up.

i have a projector running to the receiver 'monitor' the stb is plugged into the receiver directly with component.

hope this helps.

Sorry for the slow reply....

I run componet cables from the STB straight to the TV and a tosh link cable straight from the STB to the reciever. You appear to run cables to your reciver and then to your TV.

This means I have to push one more button to switch video inputs but it cuts down on a set of cables and hence reduces the possibliblity of video signal loss thru the reciever. I can afford to do this as the Sammy has more than ample video inputs.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Hi all,

I got my unit a couple of days ago and have it hooked up via component to my Sony amp and then to my optima plasma. I can notice picture improvement even with SD channels. My antenna is also a digital ready Hills antenna that i installed about 3.5 years ago.

My Plasma is only SD, however viewing the HD channels there is a noticable difference from the SD channels as far as PQ goes and as i previously said i can even see a difference in PQ compairing my original SD STB and the new HD STB.

Hope this helps.

sorry marv still don't make sense, u keep refering to it as TV, my video display is a projector, i run component cable to the 'monitor' in the receiver so i don't know of any other way to hook up anything as all the outputs for component have run off the receiver.....

Just got one of these boxes, and I am very happy with the picture quality, running it into a Teac Plasma. Teac plasma does a crap job with SD interlace....plug in a HD box and....wow!...far better even on SD...cuz its poking out Progressive :blink:

1. MUST run component or RGBHV (not RGB on teac however teac does not support 50Hz scan rate through RGB port).....you can't get progressive scan/HD out of S-video...da da da

2. Run 576 P mode for those stations transmitting 576P, and run 1080I for those stations transmitting 1080i (ch 9, 10)......Although the picture quality is still good running 576P all the time...it looks "better" if on ch 9, and 10.....if u run it 1080i

Only problem with the box is when you run 576P on ch 9 and ch 10, even after moving the vertical position as far down as possible...the bottom of the picture is cut off a small amount.....runing 1080i its fine however.

be good if the box could remember what mode u had set for each channel.

sorry marv still don't make sense, u keep refering to it as TV, my video display is a projector, i run component cable to the 'monitor' in the receiver so i don't know of any other way to hook up anything as all the outputs for component have run off the receiver.....

So your projector only has composite in, is that right? If so thats prolly y your picture looks bad.

My setup:

HDSTB------Projector/TV (Componet Cables (Video only) from HDSTB to Projector/TV)

|

------Reciever (Toshlink Cable (Audio only) from HDSTB to Receiver)

Your setup:

HDSTB=====Reciever------Projector (Audio and Video from HDSTB to Reciver and then video to projector)

I think your pic problems come from the fact that you only run componet from the HDSTB to the reciever and composite from the reciever to the projector. As the last poster says you need to run RGB or componet all the way to from the source to the output... ie componet from the HDSTB to the projector or componet from the HDSTB to the reciever and componet from reciever projector.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If it's anything like the Digicrystal HDT-9300, I've got one of them, on mine I have to go menu, settings, then the bottom one (forgotten what it's called)

I have tried to hook my HD9200 upto my computer with the cord and using hyper terminal to connect it but I can seem to get my pc to talk to my set top box or send anything to it.

Anyone help me here please!!! I am in need of real help bad