Samsung PS42D5 ..... Any thoughts ?

Guest sharonw

All, post your ideal settings please.

I am almost happy with the picture. Dark scenes have banding, some faces are weird....

DVD picture is OK.

SD box picture is good at best.

Hello all

I purchased a samsung panel a couple of weeks ago

it has taken some time to adjust

It had banding and clay / clown face

after spending a few hours i have eliminated most of this

running a topfield 5000pvrt and pioneer dv-676a dvd player all connected via rgb

settings are

contrast 51

brightness 62

Sharpness 56

colour 16

colour weakness on - blue 3

colour control all at 50

good luck

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must be sitting 5m away. ALL sources have issues.

Finally got mine on Thursday and I love it.

I turned the Dynamic mode off and changed it to Normal. I lowered the 'Pinks' a fair bit and that seems to have nearly entirley eliminated clay faces.

I am going to try the settings mentioned by shane and see how it goes. Will give some more in depth feedback as I become more familiar.

I have a Force 705 running through it. The panel seems to behave better if I match the output (1080i / 720p etc) to what each channel is actually transmitting. I believe this would be to lower the number of times the picture is scaled.

btw - to those non believers out there. I know this is an SD grade panel - but my wife and one of her friends impartially voted on the Ten HD channel rather than SD during the footy yesterday. So hooking up a HD box does seem to produce a better picture (even if I don't know how or why)

ps. I sit about 3.5 metres away.

In summary. If you are thinking of getting a cheap plasma (got mine for 2700) give this one a try. I know that the NEC and Fuji are the forum favourites, but if you can't afford that extra cash give the Samsung a go. i have seen enough to know that I will be able to produce a darn good picture and am very happy.

I'm having the same issues with the HD version of this panel, logged a service call today, tech coming out on Friday to have a look.

Reds look shocking at the moment. Have tried DVE with no luck on improving the PQ (only slightly).

All I can say is I am pleased that I only spent $2560 on my first plasma experience.

Nothing else is +ve.

My new Sammy PS42S5SXis giving me a big problem, blue light flashing on and off every 2 seconds, unit will not start up, just keeps going on and off continually. Checked timer is off, unplugged at PP for 10 minutes, changed to new remote batteries, still no luck, anyone had this problem?.

My new Sammy PS42S5SXis giving me a big problem, blue light flashing on and off every 2 seconds, unit will not start up, just keeps going on and off continually. Checked timer is off, unplugged at PP for 10 minutes, changed to new remote batteries,  still no luck, anyone had this problem?.

Havn't had that problem. Do you think there could be a universal remote or another IR device screwing around with your tv? Block the reciever on the TV and see if that works.

That's what i think did it, yet its been workini Ok past weeks, have latest Harmony 880 remote, could be the culpret, but neither remote can stop it. Service guy coming tomorrow, says if he can't fix it Samsung will replace it!, believe it or not!.

That's what i think did it, yet its been workini Ok past weeks, have latest Harmony 880 remote, could be the culpret, but neither remote can stop it. Service guy coming tomorrow, says if he can't fix it Samsung will replace it!, believe it or not!.

Blue flashing light is normal....but Samsung don't know what it is! Rest is bad.

Blue flashing light doesn't worry me at all, I just want to be able to turn it on. To watch TV last night I hooked up the Topfield via scart to component to the amp, then to my Infocus Pj, wow one hell of a huge TV image and PIP was big.

I have been looking at the $3k range for a while and are yet to buy. To me, D5SX pq is on par with the pana PA50A and is at least $500 cheaper - also comes with a 2 year warranty compared with 1 year for most others in this price range. Overall, appears to be best value for money in the SD range, just not sure on longer term performance quality?

How has the after sales service been like? Did Boxall (or was it Foxtail?) have their panel replaced?

Have the problems of previous models been ironed out?

I have at least 4 mates with Fujitsius so will be a hard time for me to convince them of the Samsung!

Hi all, this is my first on this forum. I have been reading lot of information about lot of things but caught my eye on plasmas since i was planning to buy one. I had a LG-30" LCD for a year and wanted go even bigger. I read all the reviews and your postings and decided to buy the Samsung PS42D5. I bought this on last Friday night.

This is EXCELLENT , lot more than I expected. Good vibrant colours, big enough to fill my living room. Although this is SD, the DVD playback and TV picture quality was very good. I have my old LG HD Box and signal from that is perfect. No issues on TV & DVD playback - all very good.

But this disappointing thing is that the performance when I connected my MediaCentre PC (WMC2005). My PC video card supports normal & 1280x768 - wide-screen, which I had no issues with my old LG LCD. But this new Samsung does not support any wide-screen modes - only 800x600, 1024x768,.... So PC screen is stretched - all looks fat. Yes, I can change the plasma to support 4:3 but that is not fun. Any thoughts on ?

Hi Guys

I just purchased my samsung ps42d5sx from Harvey norman about 3 weeks ago , cost me $2750 with a 5 yr warranty and 12 months no deposit interest free with a free SD set top box . .!

at that price we bought 2 ..

I am very happy with the PQ but still working on improving it . Just bought a HD set top box and I will connect dvd and the stb via monster 3 component cables . Hopefully the HD stb will impress even more ...

Corimal...

My new D5 Samsung went nuts after 5 weeks, power on off every 2 seconds, taken to be fixed under warranty, expect back in 14 days, up until this time I have no complaints, it has a great picture and DVD's are tops, I do sit 4.2m back and thats perfect. Check out current Retravision prices better for cash.

So now I'm left with watching TV - through Topfield STB) on my huge projector screen 2m x 1.5m, up go the globe hours.

• 2 weeks later...
Foxtail, how is everything now? I am about to ring Samsung again to find out about the:

1) Dodgy PQ

2) PS2 borders

3) Flashing light.

Just got back from 1.5 week hol.

Tech guy came out and saw my set. And as you said boxall, he didn't do squat. Didn't know much about my screen to begin with anyways.

But I have gotten the PQ to a level I am extremelly happy with using DVE. They are as follows.

Contrast - 60

Brightness - 48

Sharp - 0

Colour - 31

Colour Tone - Warm2

Pink - 5

Green - 50

Blue - 100

Bare in mind that I have the PS42S5 (HD) version.

Boxtail...

Well its been 11 days since they took it away and I'm missing it. Using my old Philips CRT and PJ so I'm getting by. Mind you there is no promise that it will be back when they say. My dealer a Retravision store told me if its any longer than 30 days they will more than likely replace it!.

I think they all have the blue flashing light, I rarely notice it myself, my PQ is (was) excellent, dunno about PS2 borders?.

Boxtail...

Well its been 11 days since they took it away and I'm missing it. Using my old Philips CRT and PJ so I'm getting by. Mind you there is no promise that it will be back when they say. My dealer a Retravision store told me if its any longer than 30 days they will more than likely replace it!.

I think they all have the blue flashing light, I rarely notice it myself, my PQ is (was) excellent, dunno about PS2 borders?.

I thought the flashing blue light indicated power saving mode (how ironic - signalling that a unit is saving power by flashing a light... thereby using more power).

ps. what is this DVE people mention?

I thought the flashing blue light indicated power saving mode (how ironic - signalling that a unit is saving power by flashing a light... thereby using more power).

ps.  what is this DVE people mention?

skipjack, dve = digital video essentials.  Its a dvd based calibration program which helps you setup hd/sd monitors/displays.  It can be purchased at any JB HIFI, or online, make sure uou purchase the PAL version.

I found DVE extremly difficult to use. The guy just kept on going on and on and on and on about this and that. So I started skiping all the talking, but then you miss out on some info. You have to have paitents with DVE and watch it a few times.

Tech guy came out and saw my set. And as you said boxall, he didn't do squat. Didn't know much about my screen to begin with anyways.

But I have gotten the PQ to a level I am extremelly happy with using DVE. They are as follows.

Contrast - 60

Brightness - 48

Sharp - 0

Colour - 31

Colour Tone - Warm2

Pink - 5

Green - 50

Blue - 100

Bare in mind that I have the PS42S5 (HD) version.

I tried these setting on my SD panel and I do believe the picture to be better. Not sure why or which one made the diff.