Sign in to follow this  
Kostya

LG 42PX4DVC Plasma

I just installed my PX4 yesterday and I am really happy with the unit.

No dead pixels thankfully, the picture is fantastic through the HD tuner with a new antenna and cabling. The difference between SD and HD seems obvious when you look at the TVs next to one another at a shop, but to be honest at home the picture looks much better than the panels look in shops.

It was $3140 from Betta Electrical, supply is short though it would definately seem that LG is limiting the quantity of these units to avoid dropping the price below 3k.

Picked one up for $2800 from Mega Mart Thomastown... :blink:

Went and did some price shopping on this unit today, got some nice prices :blink:

The only thing that seems to be the deciding factor at the moment is the extended warranty options. Good Guys, JB and Bing Lee were all around the $400-$500 mark to extend the warranty to five years. Harvey Norman quoted me $199 to extend to five years (why so cheap compared to the others?).

Did others that brought this unit get the extended warranty options, if so, how much did you pay? Is Harvey Norman's a lot cheaper because they have more clauses or something? I didn't think to ask specifics until after I got home.

Cheers,

Zolt

Went and did some price shopping on this unit today, got some nice prices :blink:

The only thing that seems to be the deciding factor at the moment is the extended warranty options. Good Guys, JB and Bing Lee were all around the $400-$500 mark to extend the warranty to five years. Harvey Norman quoted me $199 to extend to five years (why so cheap compared to the others?).

Did others that brought this unit get the extended warranty options, if so, how much did you pay? Is Harvey Norman's a lot cheaper because they have more clauses or something? I didn't think to ask specifics until after I got home.

Cheers,

Zolt

I paid $549 for additional 4-years from Peace of Mind, the company used by DJ.

David Jones are offering this plasma for $3699.00 including a bonus 4 year warranty (on top of the 1 year LG). They also have 4 years interest free at the moment..... :blink:

I am interested in the 42PX4DV. I understand that it is a similar or the same panel as the cheaper 42PX3RVC (which doesn't have the built in HD tuner). The problem is that I was watching the screen today (it was alonside the SD Hitachi) and I noticed quite a bit of noise in the sky and other scenes where large expanses of the same colour was apparent. Both the Hitachi and LG were running through a HD STB. The noise didn't seem as noticeable on the Hitachi.

Is noise a noticeable problem with the 42PXDV as well? Can it be minimised?

I am interested in the 42PX4DV. I understand that it is a similar or the same panel as the cheaper 42PX3RVC (which doesn't have the built in HD tuner). The problem is that I was watching the screen today (it was alonside the SD Hitachi) and I noticed quite a bit of noise in the sky and other scenes where large expanses of the same colour was apparent. Both the Hitachi and LG were running through a HD STB. The noise didn't seem as noticeable on the Hitachi.

Is noise a noticeable problem with the 42PXDV as well? Can it be minimised?

Were they through the same STB? Was the Hitachi a HD panel. Was it a HD broadcast.

I have a 42PX4DV and can't say I have noticed the problem you are describing. For a true comparison you want to make sure both panels you are looking at are SD and are being fed the same input. Not inputs from different STB.

They were both SD panels and it was a HD feed to both. I'm not sure if it was the same STB however. The LG had a sharper image but at the cost of extra noise.

They were running a seperate STB to the LG, even though it has one built in?

Can someone tell me is there much difference between the 42PX4DVB

and the 42PY10X.

Obviously the 42PY10X is High Resolution but is $1000 more expensive.

Im looking for PQ that supports a PC image and so far despite some eager salesmen telling me the SD does, I have had different opinions.

I will be running Foxtel digital,PC, Home theatre through the Plasma.

Can someone tell me  is there much difference between  the 42PX4DVB

and the 42PY10X.

Obviously the 42PY10X is High Resolution but is $1000 more expensive.

Im looking for PQ that supports a PC image and so far despite some eager salesmen telling me the SD does, I have had different opinions.

I will be running Foxtel digital,PC, Home theatre through the Plasma.

The PY10X is a "HD" (altho not true HD) panel. 1024x768 res.

They 4DV is SD panel. 852 x 480 resolution.

I plugged my laptop in to VGA and had to drop the res way back on it to get it working. I would suggest if you want to use a PC with it you might look at LCD. Alternatively a PC/Laptop with S-video output will do the job. Albeit lower quality output compared to VGA.

I would expect you should get a decent picture from your PC on teh HD panel. I was not impressed with the picture that came out on the 4DV through my laptop though.

4DV has fantastic PQ with the the inbuilt tuner. Have not seen the PY10X first hand. Could not justify the extra money to buy a HD panel. Especially seeing they are not True HD. Some down scaling does occur.

The PY10X is a "HD" (altho not true HD) panel.  1024x768 res.

They 4DV is SD panel.  852 x 480 resolution.

I plugged my laptop in to VGA and had to drop the res way back on it to get it working.  I would suggest if you want to use a PC with it you might look at LCD.  Alternatively a PC/Laptop with S-video output will do the job.  Albeit lower quality output compared to VGA.

I would expect you should get a decent picture from your PC on teh HD panel.  I was not impressed with the picture that came out on the 4DV through my laptop though.

4DV has fantastic PQ with the the inbuilt tuner.  Have not seen the PY10X first hand.  Could not justify the extra money to buy a HD panel.  Especially seeing they are not True HD.  Some down scaling does occur.

Thanks for your opinion.

With the price of these falling I might wait off for the higher resolution PY10X it seems they are now sub $4000.The LCD is way out of my price bracket for the 42 incher.

Thanks for your opinion.

With the price of these falling I might wait off for the higher resolution PY10X it seems they are now sub $4000.The LCD is way out of my price bracket for the 42 incher.

I decided to buy a 42" SD now and wait for a few years for a HD. Move the SD to the Bedroom and buy a 50" HD or larger for the lounge.

I figure that way I get 2 plasmas for the same price as I would have paid for a 50" HD while still getting to enjoy the 42" panel now.

Easy choice for me tho as I dont have a second party looking after my money (ie, wife/gf etc.) So I get to choose what my money is spent on and when. YAY me! LOL.

What resultion did you have to end up running to get your laptop to work.

I am currently trying at the moment with RGB (unsuccessfully), although I have seen HDMI and it looked great.

at DJ in parra, how much did the extra warrenty cost?

at DJ in parra, how much did the extra warrenty cost?

I bought one today 10% off and total of 5 years warranty for $3329

Dont let them tell you that you can have the warranty or %10 off, but not both.

LG is offering the bonus 4 years warranty not the store.

hi all.

i got my 42px4dv a few days ago, (after a 3 week wait) and was dissapointed to discover a dead pixel almost straight away !

also i cant believe how easy it was to burn in images onto the screen.

afer watching only 4 dvd's (in 14:9 mode) there is very noticeable burn in where the grey sides of the screen are.

LG needs to rethink the grey idea. it should put black bars at the sides of the image if it does not fill the whole screen. this should lessen the impact of the burn in.

i was / am still very happy with the overall picture quality of this set, however it looks like im not going to be able to watch any of my 4:3 dvd's on it !

has anyone else noticed this ?

jason

Bad luck about the pixel. I hope the retailer looks after you.

As far as the grey bars go, I did get them at first but found that once everything was set to 16:9 I no longer see them. It doesnt matter what source I watch, I get black if there is no picture. The only time I see grey is when using PIP side by side.

You may also be confusing screen burn with image retention, play something else for a while or use the white screen for a while, should clear it. Another trick is to turn on the orbitor.

i think its more a case of retention, i have the whithwash on now. will see if that clears it up.

as for the dead pixel, one pixel is not a warranty issue.

i emailed LG support about it and they replied that there would need to be 7 or more dead pixels on a 42" display, and even then it would depend on the location, color and weather the pixels were "light or dark"

mine is a dark one and is only noticeable when there is red in the area of the dead pixel.

if i set the display to 16:9 then the 4:3 dvd image is stretched to fill the whole screen, but then the image is distorted.

im gona look for a better dvd player that can handle a 16:9 screen better than the one that i have now.

jason

Sorry to hear about the dead pixel :blink:

I don't get grey bars on my 42px4dv. On FTA or Foxtel, when there is 4:3 content, the bars are black. Mind you, I always have the TV set to 16:9 mode though.

i only get the grey bars when i play a 4:3 dvd.

any other sorce FTA or 16:9 dvd its all good.

a lot of my dvd's are 4:3 so im gonna investigate a better dvd player.

dont know if that will help or not.

jason

i emailed Lg service today about a possible firmware update to fix the 4:3 sorce and grey bars problem.

ill post their response here.

jason