LG 42PX4DVC Plasma

I get audio out on the LR RCA plugs, but only if signal is being input from another source.  Have you or anyone else tried getting audio out from the optical audio out?

In general, I am very pleased with PQ, also getting a good image from Foxtel.  Still have a few cable things to fix up, mainly running composite ATM, want to go componant.  The sad thing is now I have the inbuilt HD STB I tend not to use the time slip on my DVD HDD as that is only recieving a analog free to air signal and quality is low.  Considering getting another HD STB for that, but want one without macro, any suggestions?  have been thinking the LG 4100.

So the monitor out and audio out only pass through a signal of another input, not the STB? Thats odd. I'll have a play and see what happens there tonight. Not tried the Optical yet, need a cable for that still.

I'm running component from the DVD and the image is great. Gotta split the signal from the aerial to the VCR, but like you said, its only gonna be analogue which is a shame. It would have been good with an RF Out from the STB too.

Jon......

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Likewise, the audio out from the STB is non existent, so connecting the panel to an amp seems a no-go. Interesting why they wouldn't have an audio out for the set top box. The Audio out connection they do have doesn't seem to output any signal on mine.

No dead pixels for me either which is great.

Jon.......

Same here... no audio out through the STB (tv speakers only)

I have purchased a optical cable so hope that will fix it

I'm thinking of ordering one of these for my folks. I just have one issue. A guy at work tells me I should avoid plasma altogether due to pixel burn issues from static images displayed on the screen, such as the cricket/footy scorebox etc. Is this much of an issue today, or with this unit in particular? Thanks for any info.

cheers

k00k

I'm thinking of ordering one of these for my folks. I just have one issue. A guy at work tells me I should avoid plasma altogether due to pixel burn issues from  static images displayed on the screen, such as the cricket/footy scorebox etc. Is this much of an issue today, or with this unit in particular? Thanks for any info.

cheers

k00k

Static image burn is the most misleading of all information when it comes to Plasmas. it is true that Plasmas can suffer from Burn-In, however the time it takes to create this Brun-In image is far longer than any Cricket match or Footy game.

You would need to leave a paused computer game or paused image on the screen for a considerable amount of time to cause irreversible damage.

And, these days plasmas come with anti Burn-In features such as image shift, white-out and image reverse. These are all features of this plasma and will reduce any effects of Burn-in.

Hope this puts your mind at rest.

Jon......

Hope this puts your mind at rest.

Jon......

Thanks for the info Jon. I just went and had a look at one at DJ's. I think I'll tell Ma & Pa to get one. Its quite sufficient for what they want, which will just be watching digital TV and DVD's. There certainly wont be any computer games getting played on it. Thanks again... :blink:

cheers

k00k

Has anyone tried the Optical Out to their amp? If so, does this only feed audio LR and nothing else? Im hoping to turn TV volume to zero and just use an amp at times.

Seems to me if you want good PQ from a VCR or DVD recorder you may need to invest in another STB so whats the point in having a HDSTB inbuilt (with no outputs) ? This would involve splitting the antenna so would this extra loss cause probs ?

I think I'll draw breath now and sleep on it!!

Has anyone tried the Optical Out to their amp? If so, does this only feed audio LR and nothing else? Im hoping to turn TV volume to zero and just use an amp at times.

Seems to me if you want good PQ from a VCR or DVD recorder you may need to invest in another STB so whats the point in having a HDSTB inbuilt (with no outputs) ? This would involve splitting the antenna so would this extra loss cause probs ?

I think I'll draw breath now and sleep on it!!

I think this is the only flaw in this Plasma.......there's no way of getting a digital signal to a VCR from the tv, or getting audio from the TV to a stereo.

Why LG, why?

J......

I think this is the only flaw in this Plasma.......there's no way of getting a digital signal to a VCR from the tv, or getting audio from the TV to a stereo.

Why LG, why?

J......

I never purchased this plasma for the inbuilt STB, I got this model for the PQ, price and sexy looks (my opinion)

Today I will be heading down to buy a HD STB 4100 to link into my DVD rec and then to the plasma, should get sound as required then. Also if recording one channel in HD can watch another in HD on the plasma, without amp though, but that is no biggie.

For those that just want a plasma with a DVD hooked up, this is a great set.

Why LG, why?

J......

I have not tried the Audio to external stereo yet because my Marantz AMP died the day after I got my plasma. DOH!

What is the optical audio out on the TV for if not to plug into an AMP.

On another note. Is anyone else impressed with the internal speakers of this unit. They are fantastic for what they are.

(before bagging me for saying the internal speakers are good please take note of the words "for what they are"...)

I have not tried the Audio to external stereo yet because my Marantz AMP died the day after I got my plasma.  DOH!

What is the optical audio out on the TV for if not to plug into an AMP.

On another note.  Is anyone else impressed with the internal speakers of this unit. They are fantastic for what they are.

(before bagging  me for saying the internal speakers are good please take note of the words "for what they are"...)

I think you're onto something there with the digital out. Its either a digital version of what the audio out/pass thru connectors are, or a direct way to get the digital tv sound to an amp.

Lets hope this works!

Jon......

I think you're onto something there with the digital out. Its either a digital version of what the audio out/pass thru connectors are, or a direct way to get the digital tv sound to an amp.

Lets hope this works!

Jon......

And if it works I'll have to upgrade my amp :blink:

I too am quite happy with the inbuilt speakers.

Lets hope this works!

Jon......

I'll let you know , when my Optical Cable arrives .... (bought off Ebay)

I also bought a Component Cable for Foxtel Digital and my Xbox so will report on hopeful increased PQ compared to usual RCAs

I'll let you know , when my Optical Cable arrives .... (bought off Ebay)

I also bought a Component Cable for Foxtel Digital and my Xbox so will report on hopeful increased PQ compared to usual RCAs

I replaced the composite cable from my amp to the tv for my PS2. this significantly increased PQ. Can not find anyone that has stock of PS2 component cable at the moment but that is my next purchase.

Can anyone recomment good but not over prices RCA cables. I want to replace any current RCA leads that I have for equipment that doesnt have digital or component outputs. (3rca - 3rca)

Well I got the extra bits today, connected my Philips DVD HDD via componant and found no sound out of the sound out, seems it only works with the video in conections, composite. I got around it by splitting the signal, doesnt seem to effect sound.

I also put in a new cable from Foxtel to the philips and WOW, PQ is sooooooo much better. I tried the LG 4100 but found the outputs not compatible with the philips, I need a STB with RGB over scart, like Foxtel now is. I might try a topfield SD STB has RGB over scart, and the Philips will only record SD anyway.

Moral, CABLES cables cables, I would not have believed it if I never witnessed it I didnt buy the best, but a huge differance, even the wife said so...

Colin

right well I have fixed up all these problems and DAMN.. the PQ through the component cable is amazing!

Also solved the grey side bar issues through Foxtel ... was a simple setting to change the output to 16:9.. and then it buffers with black and not grey

very very happy!

right well I have fixed up all these problems and DAMN.. the PQ through the component cable is amazing!

Also solved the grey side bar issues through Foxtel  ... was a simple setting to change the output to 16:9.. and then it buffers with black and not grey

very very happy!

Awesome news G.

Good to hear the grey bars aren't a permanent feature with Foxtel. Black is so much more easy on the eye.

As for the component cable, which one did you buy, and how much better do you find it?

Jon.......

Awesome news G.

Good to hear the grey bars aren't a permanent feature with Foxtel. Black is so much more easy on the eye.

As for the component cable, which one did you buy, and how much better do you find it?

Jon.......

Component Cable $34.95 plus postage

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Mate this is a total no brainer.... the pictuire quality through Fox goes from comparable to VHS --> seemingly BETTER than DVD.. its sensational...

The l;ast test is a component cable for my Xbox.. which should arrive soon.. i will report on that too

Guest OzStriker

Thank you everybody for your helpful contributions, I have just put a deposit down for one of these plasmas.

I am planning to use this television with Foxtel IQ, I understand that I will still have to use the inbuilt HD tuner to get high def free to air so my sound will require some thinking.

I purchased one of the SCART component cables suggested above, I will also need one for my Playstation 2. Looking on eBay they seem very cheap (around $10) should I be concerned that these cables are of poor quality?

I will need to connect both Foxtel and the HD tuner sound to my surround sound, I can only use one optical in, would these be better used for Foxtel or the HD TV signal?

Finally, S-Video is the best output my DVD player has, is it worth upgrading to a component capable DVD player? Will I really notice any difference?

Thanks for reading!