LG 42PX4DVC Plasma

When the screen is in normal 4:3 resolution (non-widescreen) you normally get the black bars on the sides... but on this TV it is grey... can you change this ?  Havent read the manual yet...

I think the colour of the bars is dictated by the STB. I've only seen grey bars so far, one was on a Digitec HD STB. Not sure if this can be changed, but it would be good if it could.

Can you set the tv to automatically adjust 4:3 pictures to fill screen when it receives that broadcast? I've seen that on a Sony Rear Proj. tv and its pretty handy!

Jon........

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A quick question for you happy owners!

How "wobbly" is the display on it's stand?

I've noticed in the shops some plasmas (all brands) are very wobbly, and would probably wobble about in the wind.

Is this new LG pretty good??? $3k is getting close to my pricepoint :blink:

A quick question for you happy owners!

How "wobbly" is the display on it's stand?

I've noticed in the shops some plasmas (all brands) are very wobbly, and would probably wobble about in the wind.

Is this new LG pretty good???  $3k is getting close to my pricepoint :blink:

The PX4DV was very sturdy on the stand when i was viewing it in Harvey Norman. The sales rep span it round with 2 hands and it didn't wobble a great deal either. It would be stable enough on its own, but i believe that some plasmas provide a couple of small angle brackets to attach the set to the wall, once it's placed on the stand.

This just prevents it falling forward should someone knock into it. Good idea really.

Jon.......

Can you set the tv to automatically adjust 4:3 pictures to fill screen when it receives that broadcast? I've seen that on a Sony Rear Proj. tv and its pretty handy!

Jon........

yes you can, but i dont like it is it stretches the image.

I really hope you can change the colour from grey.. I mean it woule be more sensible anyway, or there will be burn-in issues???? seems strange

yes you can, but i dont like it is it stretches the image.

I really hope you can change the colour from grey.. I mean it woule be more sensible anyway, or there will be burn-in issues???? seems strange

Yeah, image stretch is a downside for the 4:3 ratio on a widescreen. Maybe the bars are an issue with Burn-in. Would make sense i guess to make it grey if it prevents the burn-in.

Jon.......

I ordered my 42PX4 about 2 hours ago, after about 1/2 an hour of negotiating prices with the salesman i finally talked him into $2950 , only problem is i have to wait 3 weeks :blink: The picture on this thing looks amazing .look forward to talking to you guys about your plasmas.

I ordered my 42PX4 about 2 hours ago, after about 1/2 an hour of negotiating prices with the salesman i finally talked him into $2950 , only problem is i have to wait 3 weeks :blink: The picture on this thing looks amazing .look forward to talking to you guys about your plasmas.

Jesus!

$2950 for the PX4DV? Thats over $600 off the RRP. How did you get such a good deal and where from? I managed to save $300 on a price match from DJ's with their 10% sale.

Jon......

Hi Jon

By the extent of your participation in both the PX4 threads over the past few days I can well imagine how excited you are with this particular model and how eager are you to get your hands on on this plasma.

I guess, for you, the big day is tomorrow. Good luck mate. I will catch up on your comments on Monday. You must be having a very exciting weekend.

Hi Jon

By the extent of your participation in both the PX4 threads over the past few days I can well imagine how excited you are with this particular model and how eager are you to get your hands on on this plasma.

I guess, for you, the big day is tomorrow. Good luck mate. I will catch up on your comments on Monday. You must be having a very exciting weekend.

I guess i do get carried away!

Yeah can't wait for the plasma......its my first! haha. I'll be posting comments of my thoughts and first impressions on monday, and maybe a few pics if i can!

Jon.......

Hi guys thanks for all contribution.... ok.. i ordered mine for $ 2900 and $ 150 for wall bracket from JB in Perth.. how much did u guys paid?? also did u guys took the extented warrunity?? and how much??.. still considering it..

BTW thortt did u got urs brand new or displayed model as u said it was the last one??

Thanks

Andy

Hi guys thanks for all contribution.... ok.. i ordered mine for $ 2900 and $ 150 for wall bracket from JB in Perth.. how much did u guys paid?? also did u guys took the extented warrunity?? and how much??.. still considering it..

BTW thortt did u got urs brand new or displayed model as u said it was the last one??

Thanks

Andy

Was new in sealed box but they had no more stock at Osborne Park last Friday.

thortt

Hi all

Can anyone give me their ideas on the best picture setting ie; use one of the presets such as dynamic or what values to use for a manual setting. Also has anyone found it better with XD on or off?

Regards thortt

Hi all

Can anyone give me their ideas on the best picture setting ie; use one of the presets such as dynamic or what values to use for a manual setting. Also has anyone found it better with XD on or off?

Regards thortt

Hi Thortt,

I received my PX4DV this weekend and was totally blown away. I have posted a review on the other PX4DV thread to have a read. I have found that the XD engine is better turned off, with the picture quality set to normal. I have turned the contrast and brightness down and the image is much smoother and there's no digitization.

Thanks

Jon.......

Hi Thortt,

I received my PX4DV this weekend and was totally blown away. I have posted a review on the other PX4DV thread to have a read. I have found that the XD engine is better turned off, with the picture quality set to normal. I have turned the contrast and brightness down and the image is much smoother and there's no digitization.

Thanks

Jon.......

Thanks Jon

Read your review and will try your settings tonight.

Thortt

Thanks Jon

Read your review and will try your settings tonight.

Thortt

Not a problem, glad to help.

Also, when you got your set, did the box say LG HDTV on the outside? I was curious to see it branded as an HDTV when the panel isn't. Then i thought maybe they got the sets mixed up and i have an HD panel too!

You never know

Jon.......

Not a problem, glad to help.

Also, when you got your set, did the box say LG HDTV on the outside? I was curious to see it branded as an HDTV when the panel isn't. Then i thought maybe they got the sets mixed up and i have an HD panel too!

You never know

Jon.......

Yes box says HDTV. Strange. Alos let me know if you try to hook up a PC as I tried over the weeken and had all sort of trouble. Gave up. Put settings on PC to 1024x768 and 60hz refresh. When starting in windows XP this came up on TV then went to no signal??

thortt

You never know

Jon.......

My box also says LG HDTV, but a sticker on the box says the right model number (ie LG 42PX4DV). I double checked the model number at the back of the panel to ensure that they haven't delivered the wrong item.

I have a question to ask --

I will hook up LG DVD recorder with the panel via component. Now, if I want to use the TV remote for DVD will I be able to do did straight away or I have to code the remote. If I have to code then where do I get the code number?

My box also says LG HDTV, but a sticker on the box says the right model number (ie LG 42PX4DV). I double checked the model number at the back of the panel to ensure that they haven't delivered the wrong item.

I have a question to ask --

I will hook up LG DVD recorder with the panel via component. Now, if I want to use the TV remote for DVD will I be able to do did straight away or I have to code the remote. If I have to code then where do I get the code number?

In the back of the manual, there's a list of products that the TV remote operates. All you need to do is find the code and then follow the instructions for how to set the code. This only takes few minutes and then its all done!!

Jon......

Yes box says HDTV. Strange. Alos let me know if you try to hook up a PC as I tried over the weeken and had all sort of trouble. Gave  up. Put settings on PC to 1024x768 and 60hz refresh. When starting in windows XP this came up on TV then went to no signal??

thortt

I may try hooking up the laptop and see what happens. I'd like to have the computer connected, either a Mac or PC just for the ablity to show photos on the screen. Now that would be cool. I'm not sure how much internet surfing i'd do on the plasma, but that would be cool.

I guess the only reason for the HDTV box is that they make one packaging for all the new HDTV sets and put a product code sticker on it. Makes sense.

Here's me hoping i got an HD set!

Jon......

Wow, thats a steal. I got mine for $3329 and that was with a price match from DJ's. Still i'm happy with the price for mine so its all good. Hope you enjoy your set, i'll report on mine asap!

Jon......

Is that with five year warranty? I am getting a price of $2851 (after a lot of negotiation) + 399 for five year warranty. Total of $3250. Get it on 4th. Can't wait!

Well I'm happy, watching the footy on our new LG plasma.

Come across one issue, but that is only cause we have an old pro logic amp, problem being I cant get sound to it from the inbuilt HD tuner, I'm assuming it will work if using digital optical out.

No faulty pixels.

Well I'm happy, watching the footy on our new LG plasma.

Come across one issue, but that is only cause we have an old pro logic amp, problem being I cant get sound to it from the inbuilt HD tuner, I'm assuming it will work if using digital optical out.

No faulty pixels.

Likewise, the audio out from the STB is non existent, so connecting the panel to an amp seems a no-go. Interesting why they wouldn't have an audio out for the set top box. The Audio out connection they do have doesn't seem to output any signal on mine.

No dead pixels for me either which is great.

Jon.......

Likewise, the audio out from the STB is non existent, so connecting the panel to an amp seems a no-go. Interesting why they wouldn't have an audio out for the set top box. The Audio out connection they do have doesn't seem to output any signal on mine.

No dead pixels for me either which is great.

Jon.......

I get audio out on the LR RCA plugs, but only if signal is being input from another source. Have you or anyone else tried getting audio out from the optical audio out?

In general, I am very pleased with PQ, also getting a good image from Foxtel. Still have a few cable things to fix up, mainly running composite ATM, want to go componant. The sad thing is now I have the inbuilt HD STB I tend not to use the time slip on my DVD HDD as that is only recieving a analog free to air signal and quality is low. Considering getting another HD STB for that, but want one without macro, any suggestions? have been thinking the LG 4100.