LG 42PX4DVC Plasma

Hi Thortt,

You should check the model number you have purchased. The LG 42PX4DV comes with a Built-In High Definition Tuner and the LG PX3RVC has two Analogue tuners.

If you bought the PX4DV, you should have an HD tuner built-in and therefore not need an external HD set top box.

Its always better to have the HD set top box if you're gonna buy one, so at least that part of your system is future proof. But make sure you get a HD STB with an upgrade port such as the Thomson or Toshiba i think.

Thanks

Jon.........

The JB I bought my PX3RVC from got the 42PX4DV in today. Getting my PX3 swapped over tomorrow. Lets hope this solves my lipsync issues.

Will be running the inbuilt HD tuner for normal TV and my Strong PVR for recording anything.

Anyone know if the PX3 and the 42PX are physically the same panel, or are there some differences.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Wednesday I was in one of the Good Guys looking for 42PX3RVC. All were sold off but salesman told me that the new model is expected in couple of weeks: 42PX4DBC similar to previous one but with second HD tuner.  And what was interesting he had it in computer with recomendet price of $3,699 eg $400 more then for 42PX3RVC ( in GG they have it for $3,299) .

The only mention about 42PX4DV  I found on UK LG site  but there is no word about HD tuner and they saying it is coming soon.

Yesterday I found it on ebay.com.au (but it is not 42PX4DVC)

Model:42PX4DV 42PX4DVB

New XD Engine

1500cd/m²

10000:1 contrast ratio

SRS/BBE

Intelligent Eye

PIP/DW/POP

Text 1500 pages

Built-in HD Digital Receiver (and a 2nd Analogue Tuner)

More Information

Audio

Audio Output 15w x 2

AVL Yes

Mono/Stereo/Dual Yes

SRS/BBE Yes

Bass/Treble/Balance Yes

SSM (DASP) SRS/Flat/Music/Movie/Sports/User

Enhanced Noise Reduction Yes

Display

Brightness 1500 cd/m2

Contrast Ratio 10,000:1

Input Signal NTSC/PAL/SECAM, HD, VGA~SXGA

Resolution 852 x 480

Filter Film Filter

Size 42

Enhanced Line Doubler Yes

XD Engine New XD Engine

10 bit process Yes

DCDi Yes

Digital Comb Filter 3D

DLTI/DCTI Yes

Colour Temperature Control Normal/Cool/Warm/User

Cinema (3:2/2:2 Pull Down) Yes

Auto Booster (Analogue) YesOn

Aspect Ratio Correction Spectacle/Full Screen/Original/4:3/16:9/14:9/Zoom

Picture Control Contrast/Brightness/Colour/Sharpness/Tint

Tuner

1 HD Digital

1 Analogue

Function

Auto/Manual Clock Manual Clock

On/Off Timer Yes

Sleep Timer Yes

Auto off Yes

Auto/Manual Programming Yes

Favourite Channel Yes

Quick View Yes

Child lock Yes

Image Sticking ISM, Orbiter, White Wash, Inversion

Intelligent Eye Yes

Text 1500 pages

Mute Yes

Auto Configuration (Manual) Yes

Screen Adjust Yes

PSM (APC) Intelligent Eye/Dynamic/Standard/Mild/User

General

AC input 100~240V, 50/60Hz

Power Consumption 250w

Size (WxHxD mm) 1252 x 653.5 x 93.5

Weight (kg) 34.3

OSD Language Multi 1

Picture-in-picture

Interface

HDMI 1

RS-232C 1 (Control + Download)

RGB In (D-sub 15pin) 1

PC Audio In (Phone Type) 1

IR Jack (Phone Type) 1

RF In 2 Tuner

AV IN (Composite + L/R) 1

AV Out (Composite + L/R) 1

S-Video In (Y/C) 1

SCART 3 (Full 1, Half 2)

Component In (Y, Pb, Pr) 1 (480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i)

Side Interface

AV In (Composite + L/R) 1

S-Video In (Y/C) 1

PLEASE NOTE: We can only deliver this item. We do not ship outside of Australia.

STOP PRESS - Buy it Now. This is a Brand name (new) 42" High Definition Ready with a High Definition built in digital receiver (set top box) and a second analogue tuner. It is new direct from the factory.

Full product details are at http://au.lge.com/index.do <---- Enter the product code in the search window on the LG site! (details may not be on the LG site on this item till after 10th June 2005. Brand new!)

Have anyone has more information on this model?

I start thinking about buying plasma just couple weeks ago when my almost new Philips (CRT) died.

New models coming out one after another , so it is not easy to decide which one to pick. But I'd rathe stick to LG - quite reasonably priced.

My LG 42PX4DV was delivered today, HD tuner is stunning even with SD plasma.

Set up was a snap. HDMI works well with the Samsung HD850.

$3,150.00 was a bargain.

The JB I bought my PX3RVC from got the 42PX4DV in today.  Getting my PX3 swapped over tomorrow.  Lets hope this solves my lipsync issues.

Will be running the inbuilt HD tuner for normal TV and my Strong PVR for recording anything.

Anyone know if the PX3 and the 42PX are physically the same panel, or are there some differences.

Can you please let us know how the lip sync probs go as I am considering this model too.

My LG 42PX4DV was delivered today, HD tuner is stunning even with SD plasma.

Set up was a snap. HDMI works well with the Samsung HD850.

$3,150.00 was a bargain.

That's great to hear. I'm interested to see what people think of the HD tuner on he SD panel. I'm getting my set this weekend and will be reporting for sure.

You got a bargain too, i could only get the set for $3329 from Harvey Norman after they price matched DJ's with the 10% discount.

So is the Samsung HD850 your DVD player? And, what difference has the HDMI input made to pic quality and sound etc.

Thanks

Jon......

out of curiosity.  Can anyone tell me if there is a digital audio output on the 42PX4DV?  have not been able to find a whole lot of information.  Just basic specs.

I don't actually know if there is a Digital Audio out, but when i looked at the back of the set on the weekend, there was 3 (Optical i think) Digital connection ports. Not sure if they are all inputs, or 2 in, 1 out. Will find out.

Jon......

Hi Thortt,

You should check the model number you have purchased. The LG 42PX4DV comes with a Built-In High Definition Tuner and the LG PX3RVC has two Analogue tuners.

If you bought the PX4DV, you should have an HD tuner built-in and therefore not need an external HD set top box.

Its always better to have the HD set top box if you're gonna buy one, so at least that part of your system is future proof. But make sure you get a HD STB with an upgrade port such as the Thomson or Toshiba i think.

Thanks

Jon.........

Thanks Jon. You are right, it does have the HD tuner. Strange thing was that the salesman said that it didn't. I purchased the last one for $2900.

Thortt

Well things are looking up for this model, would still like info on any lip sync probs. Main benefit for me with this is I can get cost + GST on it. Makes it very attractive.

Well things are looking up for this model, would still like info on any lip sync probs.  Main benefit for me with this is I can get cost + GST on it.  Makes it very attractive.

I am having mine delivered this afternoon. As soon as I have connected and tested I will let you know if I have any further lip sync issues.

That's great to hear. I'm interested to see what people think of the HD tuner on he SD panel. I'm getting my set this weekend and will be reporting for sure.

You got a bargain too, i could only get the set for $3329 from Harvey Norman after they price matched DJ's with the 10% discount.

So is the Samsung HD850 your DVD player? And, what difference has the HDMI input made to pic quality and sound etc.

Thanks

Jon......

I bought the DVD-HD850 last weekend, but from another store. The player

comes complete with a HDMI cable in the box from Samsung.

HDMI pic quality is clearer compared to component input,which now seems to have

a foggy appearance that I never noticed before.

I have also managed to track down a region code hack for the player that definetely works OK, multi region.

The HD tuner on the panel works well, great pictures, no freezing.

The tuner offers analogue, SD & HD.

I'm glad that I waited for this model with built in digital tuner.

David.......

HDMI certainly

I bought the DVD-HD850 last weekend, but from another store. The player

comes complete with a HDMI cable in the box from Samsung.

HDMI pic quality is clearer compared to component input,which now seems to have

a foggy appearance that I never noticed before.

I have also managed to track down a region code hack for the player that definetely works  OK, multi region.

The HD tuner on the panel works well, great pictures, no freezing.

The tuner offers analogue, SD & HD.

I'm glad that I waited for this model with built in digital tuner.

David.......

HDMI certainly

I think my next upgrade may be the DVD player. I only have a Sony at the moment (model number escapes me) with RGB component connectors. I know it will give me a good picture, but i'm sure in a few months a DVD player with HDMI will be on the shopping list. But try telling the missus we need a new DVD player when the one we have is working fine! haha.

Good to hear the HD tuner works well, i'm also glad i changed up to the PX4DV from the PX3RVC. It makes sense for less clutter and you get to have the HD STB with no cabling issues and signal loss as its internal.

Roll on saturday........my Plasma arrives!

Jon.......

I'm just curious as to the point of an hd tuner in an sd set.  can anyone tell me?

I'm thinkin that the benefits of a HD tuner on an SD display is the true aspect ratio and digital quality sound that can be acheived.

Even though the image isn't true HD, its still widescreen and offers a superior image to analogue. Plus, you get to experience digital quality sound so thats a bonus. I guess LG figure that people are gonna buy a plasma, buy a seperate HD box and get the same result, so why not offer them an all-in-one solution and take a bigger share of the money that people would splash on other makes of STBs!

Good marketing and busienss sense i guess.

Jon......

I got mine delivered last thursday and finally was able to set it up last night. I hooked up Foxtel and a progressive scan LG DVD recorder via component. I am MORE THAN IMPRESSED with the picture quality. I also very much liked the combination of black and silver tone on the panel.

The picture quality through the in-built HD tuner was excellent. People expressed reservation about the in-built HD tuner because that will restrict one to upgrade -- I would say -- with that kind of picture quality why would I bother upgrading. Moreover, having the in-built tuner is not restricting me in any way to hook it up with any other STB if I needed and the DVI input in there waiting for me.

Extremely happy with my purchase.

I got mine delivered last thursday and finally was able to set it up last night. I hooked up Foxtel and a progressive scan LG DVD recorder via component. I am MORE THAN IMPRESSED with the picture quality. I also very much liked the combination of black and silver tone on the panel.

The picture quality through the in-built HD tuner was excellent. People expressed reservation about the in-built HD tuner because that will restrict one to upgrade -- I would say -- with that kind of picture quality why would I bother upgrading. Moreover, having the in-built tuner is not restricting me in any way to hook it up with any other STB if I needed and the DVI input in there waiting for me.

Extremely happy with my purchase.

All these reports of impressive picture quality from the HD tuner make me even more eager to get my set. I'm feeling good about the fact that its getting good reviews from purchasers.

As for the HD tuner upgrades, there's a port on the rear for all firmware upgrades for the STB, so i don't think there should be a problem at all.

I love the silver and black facia too!

Jon........

Put my order in today, should arrive soon, don't know exactly when as I have purchased mine through work, as such I am getting a brilliant price.

I made my decision yesterday after going to hardly normal and they had every screen there that I was considering, really helped to make the choice.

The new look dark silver and black I think is very sexy.

To my knowledge the reason for a HD STB on a SD panel is because they built it for HD and SD panels, saving them on design etc.

With a bit of luck it will be here tommorrow (work) if there is stock and I have to get it home.

Heres hoping for the weekend.

Now it my turn .... I love it too!

Bought it yesterday from HVN in Adelaide and had it delivered within 3 hours. Set it up last night.. and WOW! HD signal is sensational even on the SD panel. Running Foxtel into it too, and its connected to a $2000 sounds system.. dang! Black facia looks swish and setting up was a breeze.

VERY VERY HAPPY!

Any suggestions for brightness/contrast/etc setup? Or just much around and see?

Also, I am having some trouble finding the correct ratio's for some channels... as some seem stretched even in every setup... think I just need to play with the settings more...

No lip sync probs at all... and not one problme I can really think of!

Now it my turn .... I love it too!

Bought it yesterday from HVN in Adelaide and had it delivered within 3 hours.  Set it up last night.. and WOW!  HD signal is sensational even on the SD panel. Running Foxtel into it too, and its connected to a $2000 sounds system..  dang! Black facia looks swish and setting up was a breeze.

VERY VERY HAPPY!

Any suggestions for brightness/contrast/etc setup?  Or just much around and see?

Also, I am having some trouble finding the correct ratio's for some channels... as some seem stretched even in every setup... think I just need to play with the settings more...

No lip sync probs at all... and not one problme I can really think of!

Good to here. I can't wait.

3 hour delivery was nice.