Sign in to follow this  
glenncol

HD STB Shoot out

All is accomplished, learning was a bit of a chore but well worth it.

I find the infrared control to be better than the rf - probably because the STB is well hidden behind the panel.

The IR sensor is invisivble if placed out of the ambient lighting.

Now to spend some frustrating time teaching the very much better half how to do everything from the AV remote.

Does the AUSID output the native resolution of the broadcast over component? ie if 576i broadcast it sends 576i, if 720p sends 720p, if 1080i it sends 1080i,

or do you have to specify ONE output resolution?

if this box doesn't output the native resolution, which boxes do?

thanks, ben

Does the AUSID output the native resolution of the broadcast over component? ie if 576i broadcast it sends 576i, if 720p sends 720p, if 1080i it sends 1080i,

or do you have to specify ONE output resolution?

if this box doesn't output the native resolution, which boxes do?

Hi Ben,

The AUSID does not have an "Auto" mode as such to use the native signal.

It may be a moot point anyway, as the AUSID is no longer available for sale, unless you pick one up 2nd hand.

I believe that the Topfield 7000 STB has the Auto mode feature that you're after.

Hi Ben,

The AUSID does not have an "Auto" mode as such to use the native signal.

It may be a moot point anyway, as the AUSID is no longer available for sale, unless you pick one up 2nd hand.

I believe that the Topfield 7000 STB has the Auto mode feature that you're after.

the teac 800 & 820 has the auto seting as well. provides pass through as broadcast. can also select any other setting of pref as well.

OK, cool, actually I only read the first page of this post, didn't realise there were 24 pages...

What is the current opinion regarding the best PQ of the HD-STBs at the moment (eg the Topfield and Teac boxes mentioned above), and the connection type, I only have one HDMI input on my Pioneer 506HD plasma and I use this for the DVD player, would prefer not to get an HDMI switcher box if component can produce similar results...

Thanks, Ben

What is the current opinion regarding the best PQ of the HD-STBs at the moment (eg the Topfield and Teac boxes mentioned above), and the connection type, I only have one HDMI input on my Pioneer 506HD plasma and I use this for the DVD player, would prefer not to get an HDMI switcher box if component can produce similar results...

You could always try running the STB using the PC DSub15 connector into your Pioneer. The Teac has this output, and from memory it performed better than the Component out on that STB.

I have a DGTEC DG-HD804. The remote control became faulty after about 9 months. I rang DGTEC customer service, waited 5 mins, and explained the problem. He said he'll mail me a replacement remote straight away. No other question asked. Too easy! Great customer service. Maybe this is the benefit of buying a local brand. Hopefully the new remote will work without any problem.

I'll definetely buy another DGTEC when I need another STB. :blink:

Edited by boldenwell