HD STB Shoot out

I have just set up a 50" fuji with the Ausid box. it is a good combo but no learning remotes do RF and the ir sender is proving hard to get.  But the best thing i have just found is the new apple imac mini computer. It has DVI output that looks great on the plasma. Chuck all your CD's onto itunes and you have a music jukebox. You can also have internet access on your plasma. At only $799 - $949 these things are the best gadget you can possibly get for you plasma

Good stuff!! :blink:

I hadn't thought about it before (being a PC guy ).... nicely done... and no fan/no noise! You can also add an external HI Def Tuner to it via your mac......... nice...... will definitely look into it! What Audio out connections do the mac has? Optical coax/SPDIF?

Cheers,

Marcelo

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anybody can help?i have an ausid hooked up to fuji 50"and when i first turn the panel on and press av-4 which is set up for free to air,it will not go to fta straiaght away or not at all i have to go to foxtel first then back to av-4 (fta)then it will come on after 30sec or so anybody had the same problem had this problem off an on since i have had it 6 weeks now :blink:

anybody can help?i have an ausid hooked up to fuji 50"and when i first turn the panel on and press av-4 which is set up for free to air,it will not go to fta straiaght away or not at all i have to go to foxtel first then back to av-4 (fta)then it will come on after 30sec or so anybody had the same problem had this problem off an on since i have had it 6 weeks now :blink:

Just remember the Ausid box takes up to 10 seconds to fire up, well mine does at least.

I picked up one of these last week, I can't see any difference yo my Teac DVB800. Maybe it's because I'm in a strong signal area?. I didn't even notice any difference watching the footy or fast moving sports. Anyway, after having it for a week it started playing up, Retravision are going to replace it with a new one next week. May just get rid of the new one when it arrives.

Noddy :blink:

But then again you havent tried the Ausid yet ! :blink:

I have Angelo, I borrowed the unit I installed 2 and a half weeks ago. True, the pic was nice, OSD I and my wife disliked, remote she hated(response) and analouge audio was below average. To buggy for me.

I tink the AUSid is great when it is ONLY mated to the Fuji displays. Watching the Port/Fremantle game and have seen no artifacts as of yet, In fact, I haven't noticed any of this since I installed it.By the way, I have it connected by DVI-HDMI using a Belkin $289 cable.

I have Angelo, I borrowed the unit I installed 2 and a half weeks ago. True, the pic was nice, OSD I and my wife disliked, remote she hated(response) and analouge audio was below average. To buggy for me.

I tink the AUSid is great when it is ONLY mated to the Fuji displays. Watching the Port/Fremantle game and have seen no artifacts as of yet, In fact, I haven't noticed any of this since I installed it.By the way, I have it connected by DVI-HDMI using a Belkin $289 cable.

yippee!

my force 705 arrives on thursday - good to hear positive feedback.

Yeah i know it does but seems like we have people doubting it without seeing it :blink:

Glenncol, can u read english? My post states that I did install one of these to a 50 FUJI ( when I did his Home Theatre), and he let me borrow it overnight. As I said, it WAS good, but I feel it is over-rated. Just not for me, and as I seem, not for some other users either. I respect your findings, but they are yours and nobody else's. Have you tried the Force box, NO! Have I tried a AUSID, YES! These are my views, flame if you chose to do so.

Glenncol, can u read english? My post states that I did install one of these to a 50 FUJI ( when I did his Home Theatre), and he let me borrow it overnight. As I said, it WAS good, but I feel it is over-rated. Just not for me, and as I seem, not for some other users either. I respect your findings, but they are yours and nobody else's. Have you tried the Force box, NO! Have I tried a AUSID, YES! These are my views, flame if you chose to do so.

ddarby

Get it right i was refering to Phreeks post not yours hence my questions to him if HE has or had seen the AUSID

I think it would serve you better to read all the posts and look at where they are directing

ddarby

Get it right i was refering to Phreeks post not yours hence my questions to him if HE has or had seen the AUSID

Guys,

A wee bit off the main topic but here goes.

In a link in the HD STB section - http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=22866, Phreek started a post regarding the quality of the antenna and signal making an impact on the pixelisation around footy players.

Can I get an informed view about this point - my understanding was that if you were above a min threshold for signal strength, a digital TV would display as well as the STB and display could manage - and if the signal dropped, the picture would get blocky and audio drop out in a major way - what Phreek is suggesting in the other thread is that a Digital Tv service can partially degrade in the same way an analogue service can.

Hope this makes sense.

DS

Guys,

In a link in the HD STB section - http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=22866, Phreek started a post regarding the quality of the antenna and signal making an impact on the pixelisation around footy players.

Can I get an informed view about this point - my understanding was that if you were above a min threshold for signal strength, a digital TV would display as well as the STB and display could manage - and if the signal dropped, the picture would get blocky and audio drop out in a major way - what Phreek is suggesting in the other thread is that a Digital Tv service can partially degrade in the same way an analogue service can.

Hope this makes sense.

DS

Pixelisation around players is a compression issue. It can depend on where the game was played. That is, if the ground has access to a Fibre optic cable link back to the station it will be fed at about 32mbs. That is a big reduction considering that the original rate out the back of a camera is 270mbs. If it is sent back via Satellite you are looking at similar data rates. Remember also that they edit the games back at the station before playout. Even though the it is recorded and edited on digital betacam, some artifacts can be introduced from suites. Don't always assume that it is your gear that is causing a problem.

Pixelisation around players is a compression issue. It can depend on where the game was played. That is, if the ground has access to a Fibre optic cable link back to the station it will be fed at about 32mbs. That is a big reduction considering that the original rate out the back of a camera is 270mbs. If it is sent back via Satellite you are looking at similar data rates. Remember also that they edit the games back at the station before playout. Even though the it is recorded and edited on digital betacam, some artifacts can be introduced from suites. Don't always assume that it is your gear that is causing a problem.

Thanks for that - and noted.

I suppose I was trying to understand things at the consumer end - in this thread, Glenncol has found that an Ausid reduces this pixel issue around footy players and in the other thread that phreek started, it was found that an upgraded signal input to the STB reduced the issue.

I felt that the STB could make a difference but thought that the antenna and signal side would not....as it is a digital threshold signal issue ??

DS

Guys,

Hope this makes sense.

DS

Dropping below the threshold in signal strength can cause the following

Audio Drop outs

Blockiness

Severe pixelisation (In some cases)

Signal weak indication by STB (Screen will go blank for a second or 2)

Signal lost indication via STB (No picture)

It wont degrade like analogue like ghosting double imaging and so on

Ahmen.

I think a lot of debate around the AUSID was based on a lack of understanding on how the signal is transmitted from live venues such as football stadiums etc. There is a wide variation on just how the signal gets back to the studios before transmission to the tower.

I've noted that some footie games (particularly from chan 10 it seems) are much better than those coming from chan 9. Maybe they have a better feed back to the studio(s).

But, the footie will often look just brilliant when it is played back at a later time. That's because you then see it coming from the HDD that was used to record the game in the OB van at the time.

Sorry to echo most of your comments here waveform kid. It's just that when the Ausid debate was in its peak, no one seemed to want to know that maybe the tuner was not the culprit after all.

Edited by JPP

Well said

I agree with you regarding your equipment not always being the issue but in my case with AUSID v Others i have found AFL watchable without issue on the AUSID where i would not watch it on the LG and or Teac.

To prove my theory i sat there watching a game with the AUSID swapping over to the teac and LG after small periods of time

Combination of all i would have to say

The main reason I kept the AUSID and ditched the Teac was because it did a better job of handling the poorer quality broadcasts.

IMHO. the Teac had a sharper PQ when there was a decent HD transmission, but suffered from macroblocking on the lower bitrate stuff.

All in all, I weighed up the overall quality of transmissions that we are given, and decided that about 60% -70% of my viewing consists of the poorer quality transmissions.

The main reason I kept the AUSID and ditched the Teac was because it did a better job of handling the poorer quality broadcasts.

IMHO. the Teac had a sharper PQ when there was a decent HD transmission, but suffered from macroblocking on the lower bitrate stuff.

All in all, I weighed up the overall quality of transmissions that we are given, and decided that about 60% -70% of my viewing consists of the poorer quality transmissions.

True, the teac did seem slightly sharper to me aswell but also stuttered far more than the ausid.

But, the footie will often look just brilliant when it is played back at a later time. That's because you then see it coming from the HDD that was used to record the game in the OB van at the time.

They never use a HDD (EVS) to play back a game. Why? Because they run at a high compression rate - similar to DVCpro50.. The game will be replayed via an "ON AIR" machine back on station. Digi Beta.