HD STB Shoot out

Well I have my brand spanking new AUSID for sale, delivered anywhere in Oz for $425. Selling it becuase I have tested it against my Force, and although it is better, it is marginal and i am happy to keep my Force. Let me know if you want it!

I have withdrawn this unit for sale due to the following:

I noted previously a hick up with the box needing to be powered down in the morning to get it to work, and this has persisted. Other issues are the remote being non responsive to the point of being annoying. I also believe it was causing interference with my wireless network.

James at Retravision is taking the box back so that is fine, I simply do not wish to pass on the problem to someone else.

I was asked by an interested party if the problems i have experienced should be of concern? Well, yes, and no...If you have a wireless network nearby then I would reconsider buying any device with a non-infrared remote. The problem with the remote being non-responsive may also be due to the wireless network interferring with it, but I am not certain.

As for the quality of the picture, I have to say having now gone back to the Force, the AUSID has the least amount of 'banding' or 'solarisation' of any box I have tested, to the point of being almost non-existant. For this reason alone, buy the box! Pixelisation is still a problem, although it is minimal on the AUSID, but no better than the Force.

Bottom line conclusion for me is that there is no HD set-top box on the market that has the processing power to present a perfect picture. I say this based on the fact that my bedroom system, a 20" Sharp LCD with a Humax SD box attached NEVER suffers from pixelisation or banding, at all, period. I think the manufacturers need to start concentrating on delivering a box that performs rather than a box that meets a market price point.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess so - but since I pulled the AUSID out of the livingroom, the network has worked perfectly...go figure.

There is an option on the Ausid to switch the frequencies that it is using.

Just hold down the power button, and a number 1-5. It is somewhere in the manual. My 1 year old actually figured it out, and managed to change my frequency on the remote, when it was out of range with the box. Therefore my remote stopped working. :blink: Changed it back to number one, and up and going again. I belive this was designed in case there was multiple RF remotes being used in the same vicinity!

This could have helped with the issue with the wireless network. I for one have had no probs with my wireless network and the Ausid...

Curly

There is an option on the Ausid to switch the frequencies that it is using.

Just hold down the power button, and a number 1-5.  It is somewhere in the manual.  My 1 year old actually figured it out, and managed to change my frequency on the remote, when it was out of range with the box.  Therefore my remote stopped working. :blink:  Changed it back to number one, and up and going again.  I belive this was designed in case there was multiple RF remotes being used in the same vicinity!

This could have helped with the issue with the wireless network.  I for one have had no probs with my wireless network and the Ausid...

Curly

Yep thats right, the factory setting is number 2. Ive now got the IR module so I use 0.

As for the quality of the picture, I have to say having now gone back to the Force, the AUSID has the least amount of 'banding' or 'solarisation' of any box I have tested, to the point of being almost non-existant. For this reason alone, buy the box! Pixelisation is still a problem, although it is minimal on the AUSID, but no better than the Force.

Bottom line conclusion for me is that there is no HD set-top box on the market that has the processing power to present a perfect picture. I say this based on the fact that my bedroom system, a 20" Sharp LCD with a Humax SD box attached NEVER suffers from pixelisation or banding, at all, period. I think the manufacturers need to start concentrating on delivering a box that performs rather than a box that meets a market price point.

StratMan,

As a fellow Strat (my surname is Stratford), g'day.

Given the issue surrounding HD content and bandwidth squeezing by the broadcasters, is my desire to get a decent HD box off the mark.

I've got a 7800 series Hitachi plasma and was looking at maybe a Force, Strong or a Ausid, as my Tosh 23 suffers from the problems above.

Would I be better just getting the very best SD box available - that is - is a SD box better at SD than a HD box is at SD ????

If so, what is the consensus opinion on the best performing SD box.

Hope this makes sense.

David.

StratMan,

Given the issue surrounding HD content and bandwidth squeezing by the broadcasters, is my desire to get a decent HD box off the mark.

I've got a 7800 series Hitachi plasma and was looking at maybe a Force, Strong or a Ausid, as my Tosh 23 suffers from the problems above.

Would I be better just getting the very best SD box available - that is - is a SD box better at SD than a HD box is at SD ????

If so, what is the consensus opinion on the best performing SD box.

Hope this makes sense.

David.

I've just looked at a Force 705T and recently (and now again) at a Strong SRT 5400. The Strong is the more feature rich (S-Vide0 and Video for your DVD recorder ALWAYS ON with and separate 4:3 and 16:9 setting for these ports) whereas the Force only has the Composite (Vid) always ON and shares the same aspect ratio setting with the other ports.

The Force has the nicer interface and smart looking remote, but has some banding problems. Force also cannot output 576i on its component output, meaning that the de-interlacing has already been performed (and given you the banding). Thus, an iScan cannot do the de-interlacing for you and hence improve or eliminate the banding problem. On all but HD transmissions, the signal will have to be de-interlaced as SD is 576i only.

The reason an HD tuner might look better than an SD tuner is that it performs the de-interlacing and upscaling which your display has to otherwise do. Most displays are not as good at this job as the newer chips used in the HD STBs. An other reason might be that HD STB designers are a bit more carefull with their designs as they have to push a wider bandwidth through the various ports when pushing through HD programs.

Like you, I think that good and plentiful HD program content is still a long way of becoming mainstream, if it's ever going to happen, so for the next few years, we're going to see better and better definition SD, but not HD. Noticed just how good a new series like CSI looks even on your glass telly?

Hope this has helped you a bit. Perhaps the best tuner all around and which has the most flexibility and features is the STRONG 5400. I've commented on the AUSID in one of my other postings.

A good description of what the various STBs do in detail (and you won't often find this type of info on the brochures or manufacturer's web-sites) can be found on http://www.australiandigitaltv.com

Edited by JPP

The reason an HD tuner might look better than an SD tuner is that it performs the de-interlacing and upscaling which your display has to otherwise do. Most displays are not as good at this job as the newer chips used in the HD STBs. An other reason might be that HD STB designers are a bit more carefull with their designs as they have to push a wider bandwidth through the various ports when pushing through HD programs.

Thanks for the note and the comments.

The thing is that even when the HD box does a lot of the work, the plasma display will still need to configure the input it gets for the 1024 by 1024 resolution it has. However I understand the other points you make. Thanks again.

Cheers.

David

StratMan,

Would I be better just getting the very best SD box available - that is - is a SD box better at SD than a HD box is at SD ???? If so, what is the consensus opinion on the best performing SD box.

Fellow Strat Man....

I do not think getting a SD box as an alternative for use on a high def display makes any sense as your picture will be 'soft' and lacking definition, but weigh that up against pixelisation and banding and then decide which it is you prefer...

Thanks for the note and the comments.

The thing is that even when the HD box does a lot of the work, the plasma display will still need to configure the input it gets for the 1024 by 1024 resolution it has.  However I understand the other points you make.  Thanks again.

Cheers.

David

Yes, you're quite right. An iScan will output the signal at exactly you native resolution. But then, that's another $1600 bucks! Have a look at the DVDO web-site if you're interested in this kind of ultimate solution - solves most of the headaches (but not all!) in integrating all the goodies we tend to have.

I have withdrawn this unit [AUSID HD-STB] for sale due to the following:

I noted previously a hick up with the box needing to be powered down in the morning to get it to work, and this has persisted. Other issues are the remote being non responsive to the point of being annoying.

I think another poster said he/she returned their box because of remote problems. Anyone else had with the AUSID this problem or the first problem StratMan mentions?

I think another poster said he/she returned their box because of remote problems.  Anyone else had with the AUSID this problem or the first problem StratMan mentions?

I've found that the buttons that are IR-based (i.e. those that control the panel functions) are very sensitive, whereas the RF-based buttons (that control the AUSID functions) require you to press the button for a little longer.

Just tried to get AUSID for $390 from Myer Megamart in Brissy.  They can't get remotely near that.  Best they can do is $800  :P  Tried Retravison MacGregor: never heard of it (i also said 'fujitsu box' , 'RF remote', 'for plasmas').  The salesman pointed out that we are a little backwards in queensland  :blink:

Has anyone bought one in Qld at an OK price?

I purchased the AUSID at Harvey Norman Indooroopilly for $500.....or if you know someone in Sydney, then order it from James at Retravision Balgowlah for $390 and get it sent to a mate in Sydney....after which you get it sent to you.....still cheaper than getting it from any place in Brisvegas....hope that helps.....

Hi, I purcahsed an Ausid STB 2 months ago. after about 4 hours started experiencing sound clipping every 20 -30 mins on all channels. resetting the channel resumed normal sound. if the channel wasn't reset then the sound disappeared all together.

Have had the arial checked out: good signal quality and strength. have isolated the sound output to eliminate problems with surround sound system.

has anyone else experienced this problem?

is the stb the problem or is it caused by reception?

any/all thoughts would be appreciated as i would like to resolve this issue.

Hello peoples, please forgive my ignorance, I will ask some pretty stupid questions. Right, here goes. I am picking up an LCD tele (Avatec 81cm) and I am impressed by everyone's comments re the Ausid stb. Can anyone tell me how it performs with an LCD tv?

Cheers

Hello peoples, please forgive my ignorance, I will ask some pretty stupid questions. Right, here goes. I am picking up an LCD tele (Avatec 81cm) and I am impressed by everyone's comments re the Ausid stb. Can anyone tell me how it performs with an LCD tv?

Cheers

It performs very well with an LCD, my only complaint is the picture is a touch more contrasty than other STB's, but it has the lowest level of banding (Solarisation) of any STB I have tested. Pixelisation is on a par with the Force 705. The user interface is second only to the Humax.

I found the remote next to useless, with each button requiring a vey firm press or a FEW firm presses before functioning. Could have been that i had a faulty remote but who knows.

If you have no where to hide the AUSID, then buy the FORCE 705 which unlike the AUSID is desighned to be in view and it more attractive: ie: Better WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor).

It would also seem I am alone in having problems with my wireless network when the AUSID was here....again it seems like an isolated case.

Guest Crawf
I think another poster said he/she returned their box because of remote problems.  Anyone else had with the AUSID this problem or the first problem StratMan mentions?

Yes I have had a problem with the STB not turning off - the orange light comes on initially but reverts back to green but there is no signal. I have to unplug the power lead for it to re-boot again.

Yes I have had a problem with the STB not turning off - the orange light comes on initially but reverts back to green but there is no signal. I have to unplug the power lead for it to re-boot again.

Dude

Just leave it on sometimes is may take 5 minutes to turn off cooling itself down but it will turn off